Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2015/2016 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon & Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
We did not ski Samoens today as from the valley, where it was/is raining, the mountain looked cloudy and grey so we binned it and went shopping. The car park at the GME at 11:00 am and 2:00 pm was almost empty. It would seem that Samoens has the best coverage over this side as long as you can get here. I'll report again tomorrow, perhaps try and take some pictures too.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I skied Samoens today but with kids so only stayed on the plateau. Snow slushy and lots of brown around. Had a great time, but not sure how long it will hold up without any new snow. Supposed to be sunny and warm again tomorrow.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Flaine is also bad low down lots of rocks & stones showing through, it may have snowed a bit at the top yesterday but like you we stayed in, as it was chucking it down,

My son however race trained all day doing slalom runs god he was soaked when he got back lol!!

Pray for snow because next week when it's busy it will be a nightmare gulp
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Basil, @Ghanny, @Mutley, Thanks for the updates snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tuesday December 22nd

Rather different to yesterday, didn't get drenched (see previous page!) Was as hard as nails first thing this morning, pleased I had gone out on the super sharp rock hoppers even if they are sparkly pink with deer on them!! More rocks sticking out than yesterday, (got to fix a hole on the rock hoppers this evening...ooopps) and snow slowly got slushy by lunchtime with more brown patches appearing. Samoens seems really busy compared to les carroz, but snow was better there, however got no further and went back to les carroz. The blue down to molliets was excellent fun for a while, just the link run from the les carroz gondola is getting very stoney and by 2.00pm very soft and slushy.

For beginners the snow in the beginners area with the moving carpet lift is really very good, (much better than the green that goes around the top of plein soleil chair which is now very stoney in places) plein soleil is starting to get rather worn with more brown bits and stones than yesterday. Started to get busier at 2.30 so decided that was enough and down gondola, to do some work with the ptex gun.......
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Skied laps on Marmotte (Samoens) today. Quite busy as I suspect everybody was doing as we were. Snow was firm and sound throughout due to being well bashed and temps being low(ish). Not icy but becoming hard packed due to traffic so some struggling a bit. The narrow tracks below/to the left of the short/slow Chariande chair looked dodgy and many struggling to get down as whilst there is (mostly) snow there is no real texture so the narrow tracks are running fast, there are also a few rocks and stones about due to them falling down from the dry embankments, not necessarily poking through. Anyhow from the top of the Chariande Express to the plateau it is skiable and holding up well, find below a few pics of Marmotte and looking down to the plateau. I did notice as we came up the GME that the nursery slopes looked in quite good order.

After all I said I still managed to get one of these though.

Had a wander around the village this evening, very atmospheric.

ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
is the link from samoens to flaine open?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My wife was one of those struggling on Marmottes today Basil. Fell and lost a ski on the steeper part. All fine though although I fear hard earned confidence may have just had a set back. Do you know if Dahu is skiable or does it have those fast narrow tracks?

The nursery slopes are in decent shape although one has been closed all week.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@francium., Yes it is open, vernant chair is open and tourmaline as friends of ours went to flaine today from les carroz, but its the same route after chariande express from samoens

@Basil have just been repairing a hole not quite as bad as that tonight, you will need some metal grip to make the ptex stick to the edges / core
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
thanks hoping the slopes survive until next week, the rock snowboard is out and waxed the new boards will be staying at home.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How's the skiing in Flaine itself? We're out in 10 days on the 2nd Jan and interested to know what's about?

(...albeit ignoring the rumours building on the Outlook thread of a storm brewing around New Years which could change it all!)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
on the ski repair i would fill that with flexible epoxy, ptex will probably come out.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 22-12-15 23:36; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Ghanny, We skied Dahu down to La Luge a Teran on Sunday and it was OK, better than those running beneath the chair. There is a short steepish bottleneck a couple of hundred metres left of the chair which may need some care as it can be populated with some nervous skiers. Mrs Basil preferred the option of the slow Chariande chair, turning right on to Marmotte, she does not like the first pitch down from the Chariande Express when busy.

@Zorrac, Got the kit at home to fix it but it's no good there so dropped it into Xtreme Glisses and they said they would charge 30 euro for repair so I'll see what happens, could always find an excuse to hire some skis though.

I think most pistes will need a certain amount of confidence and caution unless they are bashed again, or soften. With little to carve into there is a lot of sliding which is exacerbating the problem
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Basil, thanks for the pics, some of my favourite runs in the whole GM. Out on the 2nd and hoping the forecast Storm turns up
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Basil, my observation from Saturday and Sunday was that while there was indeed "a lot of slidng" going on it was a lack of technique at fault, not the admittedly firm surface... rolling eyes

And as for the young ESF instructor who nearly took me out - your Eurotest traning on crowded slopes won't do you much good with a fractured hip, etc... Shocked
ski holidays
My bro and family are coming on 28 Dec, they are not confident skiers and the 10 y old is an absolute beginner. I am worried the pistes will be crowded, icy and dangerous and have asked him to consider rebooking flights etc for end March. Do you think I am being over cautious? No snow at all is forecast between now and month end. The alternative to no snow could be huge blizzards which would also be hard for them to cope with. Advice gratefully received please.
snow conditions
@Minnie, as ever, how easy is it for him to rebook flights (and accommodation)? Beginners don't have particularly big needs. If it's super easy and cheap to cancel re-book, that's maybe attractive. Weather in March might be a better bet for a kid beginning as well.

If it's expensive or impossible, well there's your answer and you/he just need extra planning on the basis of maybe less skiing than origially planned.

Certainly the beginner slopes at the top of the GME looked very fine at the weekend. I also suspect NY cancellations will hit so it won't be as crazy busy as it might be.
ski holidays
wednesday 23rd december

Sharp edges (plus know how to use them) and a rock radar required to ski here!!

Went to samoens and did marmotte a few times, dodging the stones, which seemed everywhere (as do persons who can't really cope with conditions like this ), les carroz was quieter, with less stones, however near gron was getting rather worn by 3pm. Went up vernant once, rocks and stones all over in places on dolomie. Tormaline closed so get a bus from vernant car park to get to flaine.

Perce Neige on the way back to les carroz was like a dodge the rock slalom

You can now get a bus from les carroz to flaine (but ski back)

http://hiver.lescarroz.com/vous-renseigner/actualites/311-bus-gratuits-pour-ski-alpin-et-ski-de-fond-du-23-au-25-decembre.html

@Minnie, we went up a slow chair that finishes near the vernant gondola station, the short blue back down from there was a sea of rocks, but the beginner area looked reasonable and it was very soft at 1.00pm

Things are starting to get rather thin snow wise with lots of rocks and stones, but no real lift queues, but if you can't use your edges with proper technique it does not look much fun at all. My daughter is actually enjoying it as she likes it as hard as nails! however she is not enjoying the pain of new boots........

There are also all sorts of stories of closure doing the rounds...how true they are no idea??
snow report
Thanks for the advice, my bro has switched to Feb as they have some flex on dates and aren't flying from London so they can afford it! They are staying with us so they just lose on the admin charges. It will be a lot less stressful if they come then and get some decent skiing in. Happy holidays to all and have safe and wonderful skiing!
latest report
By the way, has anyone tried hiking recently? Is it worth bringing the hiking boots or is it too muddy and icy along the Giffre valley?
snow conditions
Skied Dahu a few times today. Was ok, a bit rocky but quieter than Marmottes. Thanks for the info @Basil I Enjoyed it. Kids also having a great time in the beginners area.

Was quite icy at the top of Chariande Express. I'm only skiing mornings as kids lessons finish then so don't know how the snow holds up in the afternoon.
ski holidays
Well, for the first time in all my ski years the family ski trip has been postponed to Easter. We were due to travel on Sunday (27th) - thankfully we are able to afford because we have our own apartment, but I feel for those who have booked everything up... we are using the tunnel crossing and heading for a few days in Brugges and Amsterdam instead. I'm due out again 13th Jan with friends - hoping for better news before then.
latest report
Conditions in Flaine are also rock hard till after lunch in a lot of places with stones & rocks all over the place!!

Also your general skier is struggling for control in the slopes & I have nearly been taken out a few times yesterday by idiots going to fast who are more out of control than in control Evil or Very Mad

First time in my ski life I am not rushing out to the first lift today rolling eyes

Be safe out there & watch for the idiots!!
latest report
Any recommendations for ski hire in Samoens?

Going for a long weekend in mid-January, hence not taking any skis with me to avoid the carriage costs.

I am looking for a hore location where I can change skis through the trip and somewhere that has a good range of higher end equipment. Ideally I will want something with a mid/wider waist, as that's what i normally ski. Lets assume that we get some snow between now and then... snowHead
snow report
Try Roland gay. You can pick up skis either in the village or at top of gondola at 1600... If you rent from there you can also rent a locker at 1600 which is really useful..
snow report
@Feast, we usually suggest Ski-Loc who have a shop at the top as well.
snow conditions
Conditions in Les Carroz today remarkably good, considering how long it is since there was any snow at all. Decided to wait until things warmed up a bit before going out, having spent yesterday on kitchen assembly duty. Even at lunchtime Combe was hard work with artificial snow on ice, especially with other half's rock hoppers that don't have great edges. Plein Soleil was a bit rocky but the snow was OK, and Marmotte was really nice, our first time down the newly-reshaped lower part and the changes are definitely an improvement.

They were helicoptering snow up from by Airon lake and then dropping it on Perce Neige most of the afternoon. Not sure if that's a common thing when snow is short, but we've never seen it before.

The restaurant at the top of the telecabine has a new name - K restaurant- and new owners, so we had a snack there which was reasonably priced and perfectly OK. There are huge banners saying that it has changed hands, so the new owners clearly understand its old reputation. The waiter said that the new people only acquired it in mid-October so had been limited on what they could do before the season, but they had replaced the loos as the number one priority. Really hope it holds up as it is such a good location with great views.
ski holidays
So we bottled it yesterday. Mrs B slipped on icy exit from slow Chariande chair whilst helping ski school kids and landed on her knees, she was quite upset and was worried she had hurt her (replaced hip), made it down Marmotte but confidence shot. We have learnt to respect conditions and health so decided to come home and we arrived back in Wiltshire early hours of this morning. First rule of skiing: You are on holiday, so it should be enjoyable, we tend to over respect the conditions so whilst it is difficult to leave there is no point trying to fight the piste. Luckily we make more than one trip a year so it is not the be all and end all and we will hope for better conditions in mid January.

Her hip is ok but her right knee is sore and slightly swollen but if you ain't skiing right in your head you might as well bin it.

@Ghanny, Glad you got down Dahu OK.

@Feast, We have used Xtreme Glisses (adjacent to the bakery across the road from the GME) a few times, you can book on line too and had no bother exchanging boots/skis throughout the week as needed.

Sounds like conditions all over have deteriorated quite significantly since Tuesday, my neighbour is off to Alpbach (Austria) on Saturday and he has concerns about the condition there too.

Anyhow, all the best to those battling it out and a Merry Christmas.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry to hear about Mrs B's knee Basil. We didn't ski today. Kids both have heavy colds and we fancied a day off. Went for a little hike instead up in cirque du fer a Cheval. Great fireworks and Pere Noel in the village tonight. Doubt we will ski tomorrow and who knows what the snow will be like by Boxing Day. Happy Christmas everyone.
ski holidays
@Basil, good decision.
latest report
@Basil, Hope Mrs B is feeling better.

Very sunny Christmas Day, busier than recently, but still no queues. Green back to les carroz gondola is now closed, so you have to go via the beginner area.

Pistes hard with sugar on top. Les carroz has not changed very much from comments above. We went to morillion, and the widened link run from top of molliets makes things much easier. Did sairon all the way down twice, non stop and down the bottom it was really quite good, in fact I would say sairon has the best condition of all runs we have skied. However the blue down to lanche chair was really grim with rocks all over (poor ski bases!)

Marmottes down to samoens had more rocks and stones than before, daughter managed a huge fall trying to carve on a rock, (ski just stopped) just a damaged thumb and a battered edge

Perce neige was as grim as ever....more ptex gun work tonight.

@sj1608, They have used helis before for carting snow onto bare bits, did it at xmas 2013 dumping it just near the top gondola station, cost a fortune.
latest report
@Basil, hope Mrs B has enjoyed Christmas at home and is feeling better. Probably a good decision given the worsening conditions.

We skied out of Flaine today (drove up, the only alternative is to ski to Vernant and then take the bus as Tourmaline is closed) and the rocks on the lower part of Cristal and Serpentine were really bad. I hate skiing in conditions like that, not helped by those hurtling past at crazy speeds that you just knew could catch an edge and land on you......

DMC closed early today so that they could helicopter snow - wasn't clear what they were trying to patch up, but would guess the closure was to allow them to pick up from near the DMC.

Think we'll be skiing from Les Carroz tomorrow, and @Zorrac's recommendation of Sairon looks worth a go, but means braving Perce Neige on the way back......
snow conditions
@sj1608, The lower link run was open, from morillon to les carroz (well there was no piste closed sign) that goes towards gron from the top of the sairon chair lift it was not complete the other day, but will just involve taking skis off and walking the non snow bit, we may try that tomorrow as perce neige was horrid, and also the ski down to lanche chair from morillon was grim.
snow conditions
sj1608 wrote:
DMC closed early today so that they could helicopter snow - wasn't clear what they were trying to patch up, but would guess the closure was to allow them to pick up from near the DMC.
They've been helicoptering snow in quite a bit this week - and also bringing it in by the truckload to the nursery area near the bottom of the Grand Vans, and have even spotted them downloading blocks of snow on the Grand Vans chairs.
snow conditions
Thanks all for kind remarks about Mrs B, knee is ok if not a bit stiff and am glad we made the decision to come home.

Respect to all who are seeking out the white stuff, you are true heroes of the piste.
snow report
Considering it's not snowed in forever and high temps I must say I've been very impressed with the work the resort has done to keep about 40% of runs open. Yes it's icy and hard packed first thing then slushy icy and stoney later on but we've had three days of great family fun on the Morillon slopes. Gonna venture to carroz and samoens tomorrow.

If you accept its not great and just enjoy bright sunshine Spring conditions amid brown hillside then you'll have a great time. We had Xmas dinner at Igloo yesterday at top of bergin lift and it was fantastic. A great Xmas day!!! We are very happy we didn't cancel our holiday.

Lift passes still only available on a day to day basis. We've done 4 hour ticket as that's about the limit of skiing in these conditions in my opinion.
snow report
@jirac18, Morillon again (well sairon) was better than les carroz or samoens, but only wizzed round and then had to do apartment things, so did not spend long.

Continue enjoying your hols, igloo is an excellent place
ski holidays
We went up for a little look this morning and its a bit grim, rocks. stones and brown bits, so to save skis etc we came back down and have gone for a pleasant walk rather than an unpleasant ski, with a season pass there will be better later in the season....I hope Shocked
snow conditions
this thread on the conditions is looking grim Sad really hope the snow for next week arrives and plenty of it !!! .. Thanks for keeping this upto date guys .. I'm due out in 12 days time .. :-/ .. Cheers
snow conditions
Following this with interest and sadness!
We have our first winter holiday as a large family booked for the 10th. Ski hire, chalet, flights, car hire, all sorted but I look at the webcams each morning and it doesn't fill me with hope that we will have many ski opportunities. Most of the family are new to ski and it will be their first experience.
I bought a weeks ski pass back in October for the who,e domain for the week, if worst comes to worst, do they give you partial refunds on this if you don't have access to everywhere ? We're staying in Sixt fer a cheval and that looks like it won't be opening any time soon unfortunately.
Any recommendations on how to find alternative activities if we can't ski would be appreciated.
What's worse for me is that I travel onwards to the Pyrenees and where I am staying, some resorts have NO snow!! What a bummer!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy