Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2015/2016 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon & Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
@Robert821, Unlikely cascades will open for a while, it needs quite a bit of preparation down at the bottom, ie. snowmaking to give a good base, as its very stoney at the base, (it is always stony at the base!) and its been too warm for anything like that.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Robert821, see, I said you shouldn't be too worried! Toofy Grin

I'd be surprised if Cascade is open by then. @sugarmoma666's reference to whether it actually should be open is very relevant, too. It is narrow towards the end and, as Sixt is low, relies heavily on manmade snow. It can be VERY icy and is not the nicest run unless conditions are really good. If they ARE good then you need to get going before the hordes to avoid possible overcrowding.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Awesome, thank you. I'll presume it's not going to be open and if it does, I'll take it as a surprise! I'm desperate to get some good blue slopes in before I head off to the Pyrenees the week after. I don't think they believe in green slopes down there, they are a rare breed! Must learn and perfect tha parallel ski before then, I hope zigzag can sort me out with that.
@SJ1608, I had 100% faith and you've come up trumps! I'm even glad that we have 2 4X4's booked as I was beginning to think we would look like right t#ts turning up in ski gear and 4X4's to no snow. Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No snow in sixt yet I'm afriad but at least it's good in samoens
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Robert821, The other thing is... as a beginner, there is a lot of skiing for you to get to the beginning of the Cascades slope and there is a lot of "polling" at the top... the run is very pretty... but also over-rated in my humble opinion, nice to end on if staying in Sixt... and you are happy with a tough start and end to the run. I'm sure there will be plenty of other skiing to keep you occupied.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What's polling? Excuse me complete lack of knowledge of ski words! Oh I'll be just happy to ski...unlike my brother who broke his hand yesterday..... Dissapointed is an understatement for him, bye bye snowboard!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Robert821 wrote:
What's polling? Excuse me complete lack of knowledge of ski words! Oh I'll be just happy to ski...unlike my brother who broke his hand yesterday..... Dissapointed is an understatement for him, bye bye snowboard!

Pushing yourself along on flat bits using your poles. Pretty tiring and dull.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ah, God I found that tedious on a previous trip, saps you of energy mun! Energy much better used down the slope or in the bar! Thanks for the explanations, sorry again for my lack of knowledge! I'll get there. Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There is always plenty of information about the status of the Cascades piste on whiteboards at the top of the DMC in Flaine - eg. 'Open but icy' or 'Open but be careful of stones' etc.
I hope it's open for you as its great fun (but has some pushing places - unless you skip those by going down Styx).
My tip would be to do it first thing in the morning then you don't get the big crowds at the bus stop in Sixt at the end of the day....depends on which resort you're staying in though...Fingers crossed it's open for you. Don't forget to stop for a photo with the cascades themselves when you are doing the narrow hairpin bends towards the end of the run!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ah sorry- I hadn't seen those other replies! I'm echoing what other snowHead have said ❄️
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No no, don't worry, all info is gratefully received! Can't wait to see the webcams tomorrow seeing that Sixt is getting snowed on tonight!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Went for a walk in Sixt yesterday up from Salvagny opposite the Cascades run which had no snow on it at all except for minute patches under the snow canons. Th waterfall was running quite fast too so at least it was a nice view! Don't get your hopes up for Cascades run until a lot more snow has fallen. Also I agree with previous comments that it's not really a beginner run, given the ice and steep turns at the bottom its best to be a bit more confident, it's not a straightforward blue...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Doubt sixt will have much snow it is very low, arrived in les carroz village tonight (1100) and nothing accumulating at this level. Lots of sleety rain. Higher up seemed to be getting hammered though so is hopefully good, I will report on GM conditions tomorrow night. snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cascades is pretty, but I would not do it again - much too much polling on flat or uphill bits for my liking.
ski holidays
Agreed on Cascades. Did it a few years ago in good conditions and the black down to the flats was amazing. The rest of the run down to Sixt and the bus back into the lift system not so much.
snow conditions
Sounds like it could be (if it were to open) a bit too challenging for me then! That's a shame but it's not like there won't be anything else to ski!
ski holidays
Snowing heavily in carroz village right now (1100) accumulated about an inch on my balcony in the last 20 mins and still coming down hard. Skied a lot of the upper slopes in morillon and carroz today, lots of fresh snow and pistes suddenly in much better condition. Some of the off piste was treacherous and not reccomended but Saturdays snowfall has really transformed the resort and had a great days skiing. Combe and timalets back down to the village closed as below 1500 there is a clear demarcation on the snow line and anything below this level is not good. With the amount of snow forecast tonight and the rate it seems to be coming down at the minute this could all change. Link to flaine was closed still today with a replacement bus service so didn't head over but will make my way over the flaine and samoens tomorrow.
ski holidays
looks like around 20cms at least in resort level in Flaine this morning. Pistes were a lot of fun yesterday! Plenty of warnings about the off piste all over and a few rocks starting showing there faces relatively early yesterday. Great fun if you know where you're going and know where to avoid the crevasses!?
snow conditions
Since posting that snow started again, light at first but heavier now. Can see piste bashers still out there...
snow report
Snowing fairly heavy in carroz village again now too.
ski holidays
Thanks for the live updates. Arriving 16th Jan, so very glad to hear the situation is improving by the day.
ski holidays
Agree with gazatron great to hear the slopes are improving , I'm out with a buddy on the 9th so really hoping lots more improvement takes place and more runs can open Happy ..enjoy ya skiing / boarding guys .. Thanks for the updates !
latest report
We will be in Flaine from the 23rd so good to hear the snow is improving!
snow report
Snow today was fantastic, has snowed to varying extents all day. Some areas closed whilst pisteurs assess with fresh snow, still hoping Lindars opens at some point in our trip. plenty more off piste to be had but highly recommend a guide as tricky resort with the crevasses and still suffering from poor early season base.

That all said, one of the best days skiing for a while today - particularly after being in the very first gondola (DCM) up this morning having waited from 8.45 for it to open. We're all starting to love this resort especially once you get out of the wind up high and down into the trees: lower part of Faust today was superb fun!
snow report
@Robert821, just to add to what others have said re. Cascades. I'm a confident parallel skier on reds/ blacks in good condition. I've been to Flaine 13 times up to 2012, usually at Feb HT. I skied Cascades every time (I like it as you get away from the madding crowd plus there are some great views) BUT, you need to do do a fair bit of polling, especially a beginner as they'll be going more slowly and won't know or anticipate the uphill bits. Also, and more importantly, the lower section is often a challenge even for a blue run skier as it's often hard and icy as others have said, typically having artificial snow on it in my experience. Someone who can hold a good snowplough could do it but this section is a road and you haven't much width to play with plus the good skiers are whizzing past. If it's open at the end of your week (don't hold your breath though) those of you confident on blues could give it a go but once you're on it you're commited, there's no way out and it's a long run. There's a cafe at the end where it's nice to have a beer in the sun and feel good about your achievement. Enjoy your week, wish I was coming. snowHead
snow report
Seconded abbosphere's points, skied over to flaine today and snow is excellent. The blue run down into flaine from the top of the grand vans is still closed but had a lot of snow on it. I imagine it will be pisted tonight and open tomorrow. Quite windy at the top of the DMC and some poor visibility all round but did not get even close to ruining the fun. For the moment the bus service from vernant to flaine is available. Skiing back to carroz in the afternoon combe into carroz village is still closed but usable, good coverage on pretty much the whole run just a bit sticky near the bottom. All in all great conditions across the GM.
latest report
Thanks @ billb

Some excellent news @ Ben E C and abbosphere, enjoy the slopes! I literally can't wait until Sunday night when we arrive!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Any recommendations for a good restaurant in Samoens please? snowHead
snow report
Feast - La Table de Fifine is excellent. The French Onion Soup is a must!
ski holidays
@invest, great thank you. Any more suggestions are very welcome
snow report
I'd recommend becs a fleur, had the best rib eye I've ever tasted there. Wine bar next door is very good too for a tipple and tapas/antipasti
snow report
Can anyone tell me if there are ski lockers for hire at the telecabine in Morillon village. Thanks for the updates and info. Looking forward to returning to the Grand Massif end of Feb.
ski holidays
Any news on whether the link to Flaine is open?
snow report
Yes, showing as open today:

http://winter.grand-massif.com/lift
snow report
Just beat me to it... was just going to post the same link. Looks like links all open apart from Cascades to Sixt.. but there is still no snow in Sixt anyway.
ski holidays
I've just been to the physio, who gave me the final green light to get stuck in next week following my arthroscopy last Autumn. Very excited, not least because I've got some shiny new Rossi E84s with kneebindings that Jon at the Piste Office has set up for me. I'm familiar enough with the GM not to need a piste map, so I can hopefully have a good play without overdoing it. I just need Timalets to open now, so I can get across to Milk for their lovely burgers! Smile
snow conditions
Skied down into flaine today using the tourmaline blue. Now open and in good condition. Diamant noir up in flaine great fun today but visibility very poor in the afternoon. Timalets down into carroz is closed still but was being used anyway, it's in perfect condition until you reach the flats at the bottom where it's stony but usable. Skied it all the way to carroz telecabine today.
latest report
@Ben E C, good news. thanks for the update snowHead
ski holidays
snowmam wrote:
Can anyone tell me if there are ski lockers for hire at the telecabine in Morillon village. Thanks for the updates and info. Looking forward to returning to the Grand Massif end of Feb.

None in Morillon. There are some at Les carroz but doubt that's of any use if you're in Morillon village
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy