Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First pair of ski boots bought, now for the ski bag...

Poster: A snowHead
I spent the morning over in Reading at Carters getting my first pair of ski boots. I was looked after by Rod, who I thought did an excellent job of talking me through all the options and making sure we took enough time to get the job done right. In all it took 2hrs and 10mins. Very happy with my choice (Atomic Hawx).

Now I'd like to take them as hand luggage when I go skiing - is this okay with the airlines? And would anyone recommend any ski bags that conform to hand luggage size restrictions?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Better off in the case or with a rucksack, depending on their size. Some airlines don't like them as hand luggage.

Spend the money on boot warmers instead, you won't regret putting toastie, dry boots on in the morning. I do mean the sort that dry them out overnight, not the one's you wear with a battery pack.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would also recommend a rucksack (depending on your boot size), as they should fit in flat Tetris style top to toe. I always take mine as hand luggage, as I have very unusual feet, and without my own boots I would not be able to ski. Everything else can be replaced in resort, but not my boots.

If they are in your hold luggage you will probably using 4Kg plus of your allowance.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Handy Turnip, boot bags generally do a good job of carrying boots, but precious little else.

most boots happily fit in a standard e.g. Samsonite on board wheelie (at least with proper airline no idea about tryandscare, queasy or not so wizzy) and all the rest of the stuff you might need.

really, a boot bag is not a good idea. usually.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers @under a new name, maybe I should just look at regular bags that fit my boots and fit the restrictions.

Like the top to toe idea too @PowderAdict.

The guy in the shop also recommended boot warmers so might have too at them too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Handy Turnip, I have a wheely case that conforms to easyjet and ba and a rucksack that conforms to Ryanair. Just be aware that some airports don't allow ski boots as hand luggage...I don't use them so not sure if it is Grenoble or chambery.....In that case put them in your suitcase and use hand luggage for clothes
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I put my boots in my suitcase, but i also bring a boot bag with me and use it for taking my boots to the slopes. (i usually stay a bit away from the actual slopes).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@holidayloverxx, I've heard a few rumours about some airports and/or airlines not allowing ski boots as hand luggage - doing a quick search on the internet seems to bring up mixed opinions on the subject. Maybe I'll play it safe and put them in my hold luggage first time round.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Handy Turnip, I have a wheely case that conforms to easyjet and ba and a rucksack that conforms to Ryanair. Just be aware that some airports don't allow ski boots as hand luggage...I don't use them so not sure if it is Grenoble or chambery.....In that case put them in your suitcase and use hand luggage for clothes

Think it's Grenoble. Someone who had been staying in the same chalet as us, nearly missed her flight when she had to go back and check her rucksack as hold baggage when they wouldn't let it past passport control.

I've also had to check mine in at Manchester (think it was the airline rather than airport who insisted) the only time I tried taking them as carry-on so have always put them in my case/holdall since.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 24-10-15 22:14; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm flying into Geneva but I don't think I'll risk it anyway - that sounds way too stressful, @adithorp!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Handy Turnip, Geneva is fine. We do it all the time
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Handy Turnip wrote:
I'm flying into Geneva but I don't think I'll risk it anyway - that sounds way too stressful, @adithorp!!

Strange thing I never understood, was she only had one boot with her and had put the other in her case Puzzled
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Handy Turnip, Geneva is totally fine. I would get very brumpy indeed if some agent suggested I couldn't take my boots with me.

I've heard weird things about Grenoble. mind you. it's only open at weekends these days apparently, so staff training isn't going to be the best Twisted Evil
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When I was shadowing for my BASI I carried my boots every week between Edinburgh and Stansted. Neither airport batted an eye and neither did EasyJet as they would have had no idea I was carrying them as they were in my TRavel Pro Crew 9 trolley bag that I use every week for my commute. They fitted in perfectly. A standard boot bag is likely to fall foul of the dimensions permitted as hand luggage.

I suggest that you find yourself a trolley bag that conforms to most airlines hand luggage requirements and put the boots in there. You could then buy a cheap boot bag for lugging the boots when a trolley bag isn't appropriate.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'll be flying into Grenoble this season for the Spring Off-Piste bash. Normally I put my boots in my hold luggage but for this trip I'm trying to minimise luggage and was thinking of taking my boots as carry on luggage. They'd be in a standard hard shell carry on suitcase, presumably that wouldn't be a problem at Grenoble? I can't work out what it is about ski boots that they object to for hand luggage.
ski holidays
I have this

http://www.ldmountaincentre.com/ski-c26/luggage-c46/travel-bags-c47/basic-duo-boot-bag-p3688/s12637?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=lange-duo-boot-bag-black-25988056001&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&gclid=CPLkg-Co3cgCFUJAGwodFvQJ3A

conforms to hand luggage size, can turn is into a rucksack and has a hand pocket that will fit all my travel docs and ipad in. enough room to squeeze a few extra layers in too (depending how big your boots are!)
snow conditions
@PaulC1984, now that's really rather nice. Impressed!

We actually use (usually) salomon ruc sac style ones, but we're usually in the car. For flying we put them in standard cabin luggage. Your style one would fit better in the boot of the car...although our helmets might not fit in.
snow report
Has anyone ever tried wearing their boots? Mine stay in our apartment now, but when we used to fly and try to minimise luggage I contemplated it. You could just change into trainers or whatever once on the plane, carrying a fold up bag to put the boots in.

The only time my boots were ever queried in hand luggage was at Geneva when my husband and I were carrying one each and landed up in different security queues. They took a close look at my one and when I showed them where my husband was they checked across with the other guy that he had another one and let me go. I've no idea what would have happened if the other one had been checked in!
ski holidays
As an aside, I was talking to a skiing friend about my new boots who comment that "they must feel unbearably tight at the moment, don't worry they'll pack down after a few days skiing".

Well, they don't feel unbearably tight - they are half a size smaller than my shoe size and they feel tight but perfectly right. Are they suddenly going to feel a lot looser after a few days skiing???
ski holidays
@PaulC1984, I really like that! It doesn't say the dimensions - does it conform to easyjet dimensions (50x40x20)?

Update: yep it does - and now has been bought 😄
snow report
Handy Turnip wrote:
Cheers @under a new name, maybe I should just look at regular bags that fit my boots and fit the restrictions.

Like the top to toe idea too @PowderAdict.

The guy in the shop also recommended boot warmers so might have too at them too.

Careful there. I actually went to a large department store and had a laugh with the people when I said a cabin bag was for ski boots. They asked me to just come in with them. Took my boots in and interestingly NONE of the 4 wheeled cases were useful. Ended up with a Samsonite 20cm (expandable to 25cm) trolley case. Just great.
ski holidays
@GlasgowCyclops, Ours are both 2 wheeled versions. I can imagine the 4 wheeled ones being a problem.
ski holidays
@Handy Turnip, glad Carters sorted you out. I am still not totally happy with mine from them tbh but they aren't bad either
snow report
@Kamikaze Pete, how come you're not happy with yours?
snow report
Ski box better than a ski bag Smile
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@GlasgowCyclops, Ours are both 2 wheeled versions. I can imagine the 4 wheeled ones being a problem.

Yup. Those 4 wheel 'spinner' cases give up a lot of useable length due to the nature of the wheels. That loss of length then means there is not enough space for boots. I've never seen the benefit of them anyway. I often see people struggling to move quickly with them.
snow report
Love my Salomon Go-To-Snow bag. I use it as hand luggage (fits providing you don't fill all its space with stuff), use it for carrying boots, uniform, laptop, camcorder, and misc stuff for Hemel, and use it when I wear regular shoes up to glaciers for pre-season skiing. Well designed bag.

Wheel-on hand luggage can be useful, but if you're also wrestling with a wheeled ski bag plus regular suitcase/holdall I prefer to have my hand luggage on my back.
snow report
4 wheel cases are a nice idea .. but in reality they are rubbish.
The wheels only work on the smooth floors inside the airport.
The 2 wheelers are far more robust, even though they don't look so cool.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Handy Turnip wrote:
@PaulC1984, I really like that! It doesn't say the dimensions - does it conform to easyjet dimensions (50x40x20)?

Update: yep it does - and now has been bought 😄

Easyjet dimensions are maximum size of 56 x 45 x 25cm including handles and wheels. This is cabin a baggage. However, it is not guaranteed but never rejected if you are at the front. The 20cm is guaranteed.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Love my Salomon Go-To-Snow bag. I use it as hand luggage (fits providing you don't fill all its space with stuff), use it for carrying boots, uniform, laptop, camcorder, and misc stuff for Hemel, and use it when I wear regular shoes up to glaciers for pre-season skiing. Well designed bag.

Wheel-on hand luggage can be useful, but if you're also wrestling with a wheeled ski bag plus regular suitcase/holdall I prefer to have my hand luggage on my back.

Interesting one Rob. I looked at that but the 30cm width was too much. Basic idea is to not fill it too much. Can you get boots and a helmet in and still be under 25cm? I'd get one if that was the case.
snow conditions
@GlasgowCyclops, for hand luggage I have boots plus a laptop and a few other bits and bobs, but not a helmet. That would go in to my ski holdall.
snow conditions
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
The 20cm is guaranteed.

Not any more. When they changed the rules 6 months ago to allow EasyJet plus card holders and 'Up Front' passengers to have 2 bags the 'guaranteed' bag went.
latest report
I have a Lowe Alpine TT Carry-On 40 bag that fits my boots and a whole load more within carry on size limits. However, some charter airlines have reduced (and enforced) weight limits for cabin luggage that means you wouldn't be able to carry-on your boots anyway.
latest report
New boot bag has arrived! Thanks for the tip, @PaulC1984, it's perfect!!

Meets all the hand luggage restrictions - looks more like a laptop bag than a ski boot bag, so it should avoid any suspicious eyes. And there's enough space for my iPad and travel documents.

Very happy snowhead! snowHead snowHead
latest report
Handy Turnip wrote:
New boot bag has arrived! Thanks for the tip, @PaulC1984, it's perfect!!

Meets all the hand luggage restrictions - looks more like a laptop bag than a ski boot bag, so it should avoid any suspicious eyes. And there's enough space for my iPad and travel documents.

Very happy snowhead! snowHead snowHead

Glad to be of service Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy