Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

18 year old in need of help this winter!

Poster: A snowHead
@VOLKLSTRIKE4, Howdy. I don't know if this is of any help, but I saw a Facebok status update from La Cascade in Flaine this morning saying they were recruiting for the coming season.

Here's a link to the relevant page on their website:

http://www.lacascade-flaine.fr/jobs2016_en.html

And to their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/la.cascade.flaine
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
admin wrote:
Quote:
Does anybody know of a way I could ski in the Alps (ideally somewhere in the 3 valleys) for longer than 4 weeks on a budget of £3000-£3500? I own all equipment so rental isn't an issue f this changes anything...

4 weeks on £3.5K should be a total breeze!
In fact I could do you 6 weeks of snowHeads bashes (inc all lift passes, accom, food) for that price and you wont have to lift a finger to work!
Muck in and help out here and there (do you drive?) and I'll throw in the PSB to make it 7 weeks.
PSB (Tignes)
Italian Trinity of Bashes: Livigo,Alleghe,Arraba
SOPiB (Serre Chevalier/La Grave) inc 5 days Guiding
PreEoSB (Val Thorens)
the EoSB (Val Thorens)

That covers food accom and lift-passes - Get yourself to London & travel mostly in the BU5 4 DUB: if you pass the taste-test you can be Van-DJ Wink There might be the occasional flight to grab here and there but never any ski carriage

It's not 'doing a season' in the usual sense (for which you have loads of good advice above) but if it appeals it'd be quite a season so I just thought I'd throw it in as an option Wink

You've got me tempted and I wasn't even thinking about it. All I have to do now is get this damn plaster cast off my leg...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
AthersT wrote:
@marcellus, any more info on that? Can't this coming season but would be interested for next.

Thanks.

EDIT - Found it on the website in your signature. Any idea on what people do for work?

Drop me an email marcellus@livetheseason.com and we can have an off-forum chat.. But all the usual seasonaire jobs; bar work, waitering, washing up, cleaning etc etc etc
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
dsoutar wrote:
admin wrote:
Quote:
Does anybody know of a way I could ski in the Alps (ideally somewhere in the 3 valleys) for longer than 4 weeks on a budget of £3000-£3500? I own all equipment so rental isn't an issue f this changes anything...

In fact I could do you 6 weeks of snowHeads bashes (inc all lift passes, accom, food) for that price and you wont have to lift a finger to work!
Muck in and help out here and there (do you drive?) and I'll throw in the PSB to make it 7 weeks.
PSB (Tignes)
PreEoSB (Val Thorens)
the EoSB (Val Thorens)

That covers food accom and lift-passes - Get yourself to London & travel mostly in the BU5 4 DUB: if you pass the taste-test you can be Van-DJ Wink There might be the occasional flight to grab here and there but never any ski carriage

It's not 'doing a season' in the usual sense (for which you have loads of good advice above) but if it appeals it'd be quite a season so I just thought I'd throw it in as an option Wink

You've got me tempted and I wasn't even thinking about it. All I have to do now is get this damn plaster cast off my leg...
Seriously, I couldn't do this for many - maybe just 1 or 2 people this season, as space in the BU5 4 DUB
BU5 4 DUB is the snowHeads mobile command unit.
It is equipped with:
Boot Heater
Broadband
and of course, the 2kw Sound-system.
is limited.
You'd need to be flexible re rooming and would mostly end up in the quads and triples but depending on how numbers stack up, you might end up in a twin now and then.

All the ski kit can stay in the van all season so, if we happen not drive back to the UK in between some of the events, we're hand-luggage only.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Why don't you get a job with a British TO in one of their hotels? There are loads, Total/Esprit, Inghams, Mark Warner - AFAIK they all 'ship out' their staff. Not just cooks but housekeepers, cooks, hotel managers, childcare, chalet assistants, handymen / drivers etc.

You generally get food, accommodation, season lift pass, equipment hire plus a small pay packet. You wouldn't need to touch your £3.5k.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@VOLKLSTRIKE4, you could do a lot worse than admin's suggestion, getting in a good variety of some of Europe' best resorts and having an aweome time whilst you're there, although you would need a detailed knowledge of Olaf Henning's back catalogue if you wanted the post of Van-DJ.... wink

However, if you wanted to get pretty much a whole season in without spending all your ski-time in work, I'm sure that's possible too. Pick a resort and stay till the money or the snow runs out. Places like Morzine and Chamonix could be a winner and it should be easy to pick up some bar or other work when you're there. Personally, I'd consider Bourg Saint Maurice: accommodation should be cheap and it's a real town with a little bit going on (unlike Brides-les-Bains or other valley "resorts") but connected to Les Arcs by Gondola and in easy reach of 3V/Tignes/Val Despair/St Foy/La Ros (for La Thuile) etc. etc..... I only know it from the summer, but has a bit of an ex-pat community and I would think there's a reasonable chance of finding a little work.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Isn't this the time of the year when Nixmap arrives with offers of a season of free skiing in Switzerland, luxury chalets and guarantees of absolutely not becoming aggregate in his olympic sized patio?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think this thread has illustrated its all down to the individual and their needs.

My knees are occasionally problematic and I have learned that sometimes discretion is the best part of valour. I normally find around day 4 of my first holiday of the year, the combination of being rusty and my technique not being fully back, not stretching properly because who has time for that with a 4 year old and having to pick up said 4 year old and help her ski has left my knees feeling a tad unhappy, so I often have a day of rest then, let them recover a bit and ensure the remainder of my holiday is (hopefully) injury free.

I will say though you can put me firmly in the if it bucketing down with snow I will be out in it camp. I like a sunny bluebird after a massive dump as much as the next person. But equally I love the quietness and the isolation of skiing when its snowing hard (or raining hard even) I grant you and I quote my wife here I am a weirdo. But if your in warm and waterproof kit I find its the time when I feel like you get the real mountains and for me its a very cathartic experience

Also you generally have the slopes to yourself Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@VOLKLSTRIKE4, Have you checked the latania.co.uk jobs board:

http://www.latania.co.uk/forum/topic/jobs/

For your language skills get Duolingo on your phone and practice daily
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
He is only going for 4 weeks!!! No one with any sense would employ someone just for 4 weeks when there's queues of people lining up for the whole season
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
He is only going for 4 weeks!!! No one with any sense would employ someone just for 4 weeks when there's queues of people lining up for the whole season
you have misread his original post. He wants to do a season but was looking at how long his money would last and that should be more than 4 weeks.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@VOLKLSTRIKE4, Do this!! Its an opportunity of a lifetime. Besides which, Admin must be retiring soon! Toofy Grin
Quote:

PSB (Tignes)

PreEoSB (Val Thorens)

the EoSB (Val Thorens)

That covers food accom and lift-passes - Get yourself to London & travel mostly in the BU5 4 DUB: if you pass the taste-test you can be Van-DJ There might be the occasional flight to grab here and there but never any ski carriage

It's not 'doing a season' in the usual sense (for which you have loads of good advice above) but if it appeals it'd be quite a season so I just thought I'd throw it in as an option

snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I too like to think it's a great opportunity but it clearly wouldn't suit everyone.
It's fair to say this is not "Doing a season" in the traditional sense. For example, it's unlikely you will get as pissed as often, however you would almost certainly spend more time skiing than most seasonaires do snowHead

When I was about 22-23, I did a season in Garmisch - I skied more than most of the people I knew there. At the end of the season I counted up my passes - most were half days - I'd skied on 31 different days, a total of 18 full days' skiing Shocked
I spent 10 weeks in the mountains last Winter and skied in 4 different countries. At an estimate, allowing for travel days
Occasionally, moving between resorts gets in the way of skiing Evil or Very Mad
, office days
(It's amazing how much work U can do on chairlifts these days)
and the occasional sick-day
It wasn't self-inflicted, it was man-flu, OK?
, I reckon I skied at least 8 1/2 full weeks out of those snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bigtipper, do not agree with most of what you have said either. Last season and most seasons for the past 10 years I average over 100 days off piste and although I have had a few mishaps mostly due to my lack of skill. I still love it and the bad weather days when the snow is falling and there are not so many people about are just as great as a blue sky day.

At 19 and based on the fact that he says he has all his own gear he would be best off getting a season pass. In most resorts that is equal to about three weeks skiing to break even.

@VOLKLSTRIKE4, if you can raise another grand, you should be able to manage a whole season as long as you do not go out drinking heavy most nights.

I guess your main reason for 3V is you have mates there. It is a good area just like many others mentioned. If you fancy an alternative, but still near enough to visit your friends. Come to Bourg connected to les Arcs. I might know someone that is looking to share an apartment which could give you three months without needing to work if you hurry and buy the discounted season ski pass. Equal to three weeks normal ski pass. Hope that helps. Have a good season whatever you do.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@snowcrazy, I am sure that at 19 you are able to use your own mind to judge whether advice is good or bad. Sometimes good advice is bad advice, and sometimes bad advice is good advice. It really depends on averages, and variation on weather. If you take a job you will be working when the skiing is taking place. If you do not work, you can ski whenever the weather is good. At the cheap accommodation periods, the weather is notoriously variable. It can be very good, but also very bad. I would rather pay more if it was very good, than a lot for poo-poo weather. However, I am not your average skier.
ski holidays
@Bigtipper, clearly not, and going by your handle, I suspect you "pay more" more and more often than you should wink
snow report
Bigtipper wrote:
If you take a job you will be working when the skiing is taking place.

There a loads of resort jobs that leave plenty of time for skiing. E.g. when I ran a chalet we got 10:30am-4:30pm on the slopes 4 days a week and an additional full day on our day off. KP/NP jobs are on shift and after night shift you can make first lifts. Skiing and working are definitely not mutually exclusive.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy