Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

18 year old in need of help this winter!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi I'm 19 this November and decided to take a gap year to pursue my dream of spending a season in the Alps.
I figured as I didn't have around £8000 hidden away somewhere, I probably wasn't going to be doing the lengthy 14 week courses which would have been brilliant.
Instead of this I started to look for jobs as a waiter or bartender as I have a relatively lengthy experience in these roles in the UK and to be truthful,my difficulty with french is letting me down on the few interview offers I'm receiving.
So here's where I need advice.
Does anybody know of a way I could ski in the Alps (ideally somewhere in the 3 valleys) for longer than 4 weeks on a budget of £3000-£3500? I own all equipment so rental isn't an issue f this changes anything...
Any advice is going to be greatly accepted!
Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Does anybody know of a way I could ski in the Alps (ideally somewhere in the 3 valleys) for longer than 4 weeks on a budget of £3000-£3500? I own all equipment so rental isn't an issue f this changes anything...

Have a look at the Action Outdoors site. They sell holidays in the French UCPA centres - all in great resorts. The price is all inclusive of gear, lessons, ski pass, 3 meals a day. You can get cheap coach travel out. You can get a week for around 600 pounds - with a reduction if you're a student (and also a discount code here on SHs somewhere). There are centres in both Tignes and Val d'Isere - the Espace Killy, endless possibilities.

Don't dismiss the lesson option - the top groups are very good, including off piste instruction with all the kit, guides etc, in some centres, some weeks.

Should be able to get 5 weeks, including a few beers in the bar, for your budget.

A chance to improve your French, too, perhaps?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@VOLKLSTRIKE4, have a look in strongly anglophone resorts like Chamonix or Morzine. Both have hotels/bars where the staff are all english speaking natives.

make your way somewhere after New Year and hang around long enough for a vacancy to appear after someone's injury? (happens all the time)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Morzine - your budget will buy you a bed in a twin/triple room and a ski pass. Arrive 1st December, don't just post wanted job ad's on Facebook, simply get out on the street and start knocking on doors. You'll have picked up some weekend cleaning work before Christmas, settled into your budget by January, and before you know it it will be April and you won't want to go home. You'll be fine.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
why ideally 3 vallees?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
All very good advice. Waiting on around 25 job applications for bar work and still applying but wondering if it may be better to do one of the courses now (as losing hope). I will head out though to knock on doors for vacancies if I hear nothing by December.
Also, FreeRider, it has 15,000 acres of piste and a lot more off-piste, awesome night life and I have a few friends that moved out there a few years ago Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have you looked at some of the offerings from the chalet companies?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yeah but they need me to complete a chalet cookery course which can cost up to £700 with no guarantee of a job at the end
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@VOLKLSTRIKE4, all of Verbier, Chamonix, PdS, etc., have oodles on and off piste, nightlife, etc.

I'd suggest as above, Morzine/Les Gets or Cham (or Val d'espair/Tignes) better than 3Vs if you don't speak French. But I am not a 3Vs expert.

I'd just head somewhere and see what you find. Dec 1 is maybe a little early...

Who is this "Free Rider"? Puzzled
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
@VOLKLSTRIKE4, all of Verbier, Chamonix, PdS, etc., have oodles on and off piste, nightlife, etc.

I'd suggest as above, Morzine/Les Gets or Cham (or Val d'espair/Tignes) better than 3Vs if you don't speak French. But I am not a 3Vs expert.

I'd just head somewhere and see what you find. Dec 1 is maybe a little early...

Who is this "Free Rider"? Puzzled

"under a new name
FreeRider

It's you ! If you look Under a new name
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@VOLKLSTRIKE4, there are loads of chalet companies that don't require you to to do a £700 course. Cast your net wider! Look on the seasonnaire Facebook pages of lots of resorts (not just 3V...), look on the chalets direct jobs board, Google for independent chalet in resort x.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
First hand experience (ok, secondhand, we're talking about my son, not me). Son booked a shared room in a seasonnaire chalet in Morzine last winter (about £2.2k for the whole season, I believe). He went out with £1000 and a kind of business idea, which didn't work. He quickly picked up cleaning work and transfer work, plus a bit of photography work, stayed out all season and didn't call on the bank of Mum and Dad once.
He says it is really easy to pick up work in Morzine, and the french really isn't an issue at all. There is an FB page called Morzine Crew which had all sorts of work on it throughout the season. Most of the people in his chalet were there to ski and were just doing cleaning type stuff at weekends.
He is also far more into off piste than on, and found plenty of skiing.
As you will still be 19, your season pass would be a bit cheaper than a full rate one, cos PDS do a 'jeune' rate up to 19 years.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
VOLKLSTRIKE4 wrote:
Yeah but they need me to complete a chalet cookery course which can cost up to £700 with no guarantee of a job at the end

For a chalet host it helps to have a cookery course behind you (you don't need one, I didn't). But there are many other roles that they offer that do not require cooking skills.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
4 weeks on a budget of £3,000 is quite easy, if skiing is your thing. Easier if living out of town, like in Brides and getting the gondola up each day. France isn't really my thing, but most Brits go there for their ski holidays, there should be many opportunities for you in the area you mention.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 5-10-15 13:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you're going for 4 weeks a season pass is probably going to be the most economical and getting it early will give the biggest saving. For instance a season pass for Les Deux Alpes is 645 Euros if purchased before 1st November. Equivalent cost if about 3 one week passes.
snow report
There's a great place in Bad Gastein and it only costs €1950 for the whole season, good change of work and good skiing too!!

Might not appeal to thise who pick resorts based on kms of piste but those who do go keep returning!
snow conditions
@mishmash, uhhh, I'm aware of that, OP clearly is not of the internet age. Maybe too young wink
snow report
Try this Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/179285568799151/
ski holidays
If 3v is your preference then I second the idea of staying in Brides and getting the gondola up. A studio can be rented for €350 a week (possibly less for a longer rent) and a season pass is about €1250.

Have fun.
ski holidays
The Lapin Agile ( http://www.lelapinagile.fr/en/ ) in Chamonix (town centre, small Italian wine bar and restaurant) have a "Staff wanted" sign on the door. Email contact on website.

Also, if you aren't already, include 2/3 independent references with your application and cv.
snow report
in all honesty you've got no chance at the lapin agile unless you know them or speak fluent French. Much better off trying bardup, the pub, monkey, vaga or the vert...
latest report
I rented a studio flat in Tignes le Lac for about €1100 for the month of January in 2014. Will be more expensive during busier times. Your budget should go quite a bit further than 4 weeks though even if you don't find work.
snow report
I'm glad to know that the nice folks at the Lapin have outsourced the staff screening, @eddiethebus,

It also occurs to me that by placing an English language note on their door that a. No-one they know wants the job and b. They'll consider an anglophone ..

(It may be that the note was in French, but I think (!) it was in English...
snow report
Quote:

4 weeks on £3.5K should be a total breeze!
In fact I could do you 6 weeks of snowHeads bashes (inc all lift passes, accom, food) for that price and you wont have to lift a finger to work!
Muck in and help out here and there (do you drive?) and I'll throw in the PSB to make it 7 weeks.
PSB (Tignes)
Italian Trinity of Bashes: Livigo,Alleghe,Arraba
SOPiB (Serre Chevalier/La Grave) inc 5 days Guiding
PreEoSB (Val Thorens)
The EoSB (Val Thorens)

That covers food accom and lift-passes - Get yourself to London & travel mostly in the BU5 4 DUB: if you pass the taste-test you can be Van-DJ Wink There might be the occasional flight to grab here and there but never any ski carriage

It's not 'doing a season' in the usual sense (for which you have loads of good advice above) but if it appeals it'd be quite a season so I just thought I'd throw it in as an option Wink
snow report
Most people quote accommodation and lift pass as your main expenses over 4 weeks. My experience of living for long periods in and around ski resorts, is that if you focus on these issues your budget will go much further.

Often people will quote the lift pass cost for the full month that you are in resort. In practice it is not good for you to ski every day (your knees and injuries might occur). Pick the best days, when the snow is good and the sun is shining. Avoid white out days, snowing days, and days when snow cover is bad. If you party hard too, you will often not start skiing until afternoon. An afternoon lift pass is cheaper. Work out how many full days and afternoons it will take to make a lift pass for the full period worthwhile.

I changed ski resort regularly, so a lift pass for one resort was not sensible.

Living in places like Brides les Bains will keep accommodation lower. Also consider hostels in places like Bourg St Maurice, or other places at lower levels and not in resort. Accommodation will be much cheaper, and you will probably meet some like minded people there. France is more difficult to get accommodation in ski resort youth hostels. However, it is not impossible.

The 4 weeks you choose, will point you towards November, or January as the cheapest (or April). These months will have issues regarding snow cover. January will probably be the best, but there will be many snowy days. Hence, buying a lift pass for the full period might not be great if you do no ski on snowing days. On the good days in January, there will be lots of fresh, and not too many punters. Great time to be there. In November there will be ice packed pistes, lots of bare patches, but cheaper lift passes. April will be very sunny, and slushy in the afternoons. Not too good if you party, and ski in the afternoon. Also it will be hard and icy in the morning in April, not good for knees. I prefer January myself, as school kids are at school!
snow report
@marcellus, any more info on that? Can't this coming season but would be interested for next.

Thanks.

EDIT - Found it on the website in your signature. Any idea on what people do for work?

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 6-10-15 11:34; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Quote:

it is not good for you to ski every day

@Bigtipper, Puzzled Puzzled

It's perfectly good for you to ski everyday.
latest report
The only problem I would foresee with the great Morzine plan is - you`re only coming for part of the season. Most seasonnaire beds rent for the whole season only - so sorting accommodation would be trickier.

Why aren`t you doing the whole season?

If you only want an extended holiday - just book into a relatively cheap chalet for a week or two in Jan and then move to another for the next two weeks.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, weather conditions can dictate the good days and the bad days. Just as your body can dictate when you are in good condition to ski, and when you should rest and recover.

You can ignore warning signs like bad weather, avalanche risk, and your body saying no. However, if you are ignorant of your body, you will eventually regret it.

Some people say "it is better to burn out than fade away". Usually that is people with little experience. People with experience, tend to think it is better to ski when the sun shines and recover when the snow falls.
snow report
Bigtipper wrote:
@under a new name, People with experience, tend to think it is better to ski when the sun shines and recover when the snow falls.

I have some experience, and love skiing while its snowing. Fresh tracks every time! In fact, in my experience, it's the skiers with least experience who don't like to ski in falling snow, mainly because they find it more difficult.
latest report
I think by experience, @Bigtipper, is referring to life experience, eg old folk. Maybe. Blush
snow report
@Tom Doc, Well I have enough experience to know I can wait for an overnight snowfall and a bluebird morning rather than having to ski every snowy day and freeze my face. But I live in a ski resort snowHead snowHead
latest report
[quote="Nadenoodlee"]

Yeah, yeah, rub it in, why don't you!!!
ski holidays
@Legend., not necessarily old folk, however experience does tend to be highly correlated with age.
latest report
Generally I like skiing when it is snowing. I've had some really great days on the mountain when it has been snowing all day. It's usually lovely and quiet. It does depend though, if it's -20 and most of the lifts are shut because of wind, I might be less inclined. But generally, if I'm out long term and going to have a day off, I'll pick the busy Friday 3 weeks after last snowfall, not the day beautiful fluffy snow is descending on empty pistes.
snow report
@Bigtipper, I spent two full seasons (a long time ago) skiing every day I could - Saturdays usually out because of transfers - but usually 6 days a week. And on long skinny skis.

You can't say that it's bad for you. If your technique's good it's not bad for your knees either.
ski holidays
@under a new name, every rule has outliers and exceptions. It is the average person not the outlier who I am referring to. Most people will find it better for their health if they adopt a less kamikaze approach. ACL injuries occur when people overdo it, and are tired. People with experience tend not to get such injuries. Those who get these injuries, never gain any experience beyond the injury. Not everyone gets injured, and those who ski every day and say they are perfect skiers are the outliers.

snowHead
snow report
I prefer to ski on sunny days with new snow - the best combination, in my view. And some snow conditions do definitely cause more injuries (the local ski shop man has been known to mutter to me about knee-breaking days). In poor vis I prefer to stay in, unless I have visitors desperate to go out, and in need of some local knowledge (though I do find my local knowledge sketchy once I can see nothing).

BUT, in all the resort areas I know of, if you're there for a season, or even a goodly part of it, a season pass is much the cheapest way to go. In my area - and many others - there are big discounts for buying well in advance.

As for afternoon passes, they're often not that much cheaper (certainly not pro rata cheaper) and on many days it's the late afternoon conditions which are the most knee-breaking of the lot.
snow conditions
@Bigtipper, I still think you are being rather conservative. Anyhoo. At 18 years old I was invincible. Shocked We don't ski everyday these days, but we have the luxury of being 45 mins away from the Alps and accom. If I was heading out for a season at 18 I would be skiing every day, hungover, on antibiotics, etc.
ski holidays
I have to agree with [quote="under a new name"], the OP is 19 and I doubt he'll be conservative in his approach. I also doubt a season skiing will injure him. The type of risks you take are surely more influential in whether skiing results in injury.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy