Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to a ski resort - whats it like?

Poster: A snowHead
So...driving to the alps. I'm planning on driving to Austria in a 12 yr old car. Am I mad? Are there any specific things I should do to keep it alive??
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No problem with driving....generally been very good and make most resorts from Calais in around 8 hrs...
Although I wouldn't expect to do this if going as far as Monterosa.... which can be 3 hrs from Chamonix..

But I do recall making great time back from Schladming a few years back when we went north through wurzburg, I believe.
All travel can have its hassles and I think it best to allow for a day to do so regardless of which mode.

Annoying little things like gearbox trouble (twice) do add to the cost though...!!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
AxsMan, That is exactly the same thing we do. If you are behind a Frontera with a box on Friday night it could be us.

I do feel sorry for the person in the toll booth just south of Calais. He/she must get every small coin thats left by the time we've all got up to him/her.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

planning on driving to Austria in a 12 yr old car. Am I mad?

Probably more relevant to ask are you insured! If its Ford / Renault / Peugeot etc. drive very slowly in the summer with minimal luggage and you should be fine.
If its a 12 year old Merc or Volvo then no worries! Its just run in wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've never driven to the Alps but as we begin to take our kids with us we'll definitely consider it but I guess only for a 2 week trip. I think many of you who hate flying are doing the flying wrong!

Here's what I mean:

package with Crystal - fly at some ungodly hour on Saturday morning from Gatwick to Lyon and arrive 9AM. Think "fantastic a whole afternoons skiing awaits" and get the grim news that we have to wait in the bus or car park for FOUR FLIPPIN HOURS while we wait for flights from Manchester, Glasgow, etc. THen having a poxy 3-4 hour transfer to 3V...Having skiing dangled in front of you and whipped away by penny-pinching tour operators is awful. I will never ever do that again and if I did find myself in the position I would try to fill a taxi and bite the bullet on cost. This is the WRONG way to fly.

alternative approaches:

fly to chambery airport on sunday morning ariving 11am, quick depart and 1 hour transfer to Courchevel, skiing by lunch time - you reckon driving is better than that?

leave work at 5PM on a thursday, fly sleazy jet from Luton to Geneva, pick up hire car, drive hour to Chamonix, in chalet by midnight French time - you reckon driving is better than that?

I can absolutely see the point about avoiding airports with kids in tow and lots of ski gear plus child stuff but I still reckon it can only make sense for a long trip (when you can afford to take it leisurely without sacrificing too much snow time).

J
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Elizabeth B. Make sure your breakdown insurance covers a twelve year old car, some don't or you may have to pay a higher premium.
If the car is in good order should be no problem. If you enjoy driving it will give you and the car a treat on the autoroute instead of the excuses for motorways we have here.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We have driven to the alps four times now, and the on roadworks we've seen is the ones in Dover as you are trying to get out.

Why can't we have roads like the French? I know you pay your tolls over there but with smooth, straight roads with no potholes, it must be worth it
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ise wrote:
Guy L wrote:

If you're parking outdoors, unlike most resorts we visit with underground parking, try and run your car up and down the mountain once a day just to prevent any misery when trying to turn the poor thing over when it's been at -10 to -20 all week.

That doesn't sound like good advice really, for a start there's no reason to over react, it's only the Alpes not the Artic, people do live here without wrapping their car in goretex every night. But more to the point, haven't you got to drive a fair way to avoid leaving the battery at a lower charge than it was to start with?

Yes, you have. If you're really worried about your battery, one of those chargeable starting packs is probably a better bet than driving the car about every day, if only to avoid the hassle. You can then make a few bob starting other people's cars for them.

Elizabeth B, there's nothing special about driving to the Alps provided that you have a car which you expect to be able to do the mileage without conking out (and the round trip isn't like going to the moon and back, is it?). The only 'extras' I can think of are snow chains (and old gloves), small shovel, warm clothes (which you'll have anyway), beam converters, not too old a battery, breakdown insurance, plenty of washer fluid. If you don't normally carry them, first aid kit and spare bulbs (both required in France, I think). Check the antifreeze. I don't think that you need a warning triangle provided that you have hazards, but I may be wrong. Anything else?

If there's a heavy snowfall, it's not a bad idea to clear the windows before it freezes hard (if the car's outside, obviously), if you can be bothered.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The car is a Rover. It loves long journeys.....I'm just not sure what it will think of the cold.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Elizabeth B, take a binbag to sit on when you have to do the snowchains. Or at least something, a cold wet butt is no fun at all! Also practise using the snowchains a lot because they a b*ggers to learn how to put on, but it's easy enough once you have got the knack.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm okay with snowchains. I use them in Sheffield about once a year....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm with richmond, and ise re the battery. Left our car untouched at La thuile last year for a week in Feb. Temperatures were well below freezing (bottle of water left in car had frozen solid). Started first prod no-trouble.

I think triangles are still compulsory, but I've carried one for years anyway.

jedster, The point about driving is that you can extend your holiday to include the travel time and enjoy it, rather than it eating into your 'snow time. (at least if your job makes this possible you can Very Happy ) If I was time restricted and there were only two of us I'd probably fly, and in the past have done so via Geneva and also Turin. But I really don't like the luggage restrictions and hassle so prefer driving when possible.

Setting off Saturday morning! 68 hours and counting" Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Only 2 more sleeps 'til Friday.

Triangles are still compulsory. I had heard that you should carry a dayglo vest for each passenger in the car, in case you're sat on the hard shoulder. Any ideas?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Elizabeth B, if you're really worried about the battery, do one or more of:

buy a new battery if it's old;
get the alternator and charging circuit checked;
buy a rechargeable starter pack;
take the battery out and keep it indoors;
take a charger and give it a charge overnight before you come back;
park facing downhill;
make sure that you have sufficient chums on standby to shove the thing;
just stop worrying about the battery, it'll be fine.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Markw, Dayglo vests are not listed as 'compulsory' by Halfords. Dunno if that's a good source of info, but that will be my excuse if I'm caught without one! Very Happy
snow report
Elizabeth B, Take some jump leads if you are worried about your battery. If you are prepared it won't let you down... wink

Remember to make sure you turn the lights off when you park - especially the interior ones - which (of course) is something I've never forgotten to do.

If parked outside, also make sure the windows are wound up..you have no idea just how wet a snow-filled car can be.

On a more helpful note,a head torch makes fitting chains much easier in the dark...
snow conditions
Markw, I THOUGHT Puzzled Hi-Vis vests were only compulsory in Italy at the moment .... but coming to France soon.
snow conditions
AxsMan wrote:
Markw, Dayglo vests are not listed as 'compulsory' by Halfords. Dunno if that's a good source of info, but that will be my excuse if I'm caught without one! Very Happy

They are in Italy aren't they?
ski holidays
Very comprehensive advice here:

http://driving.drive-alive.co.uk/driving-in-france.htm

Dayglo's are not compulsory in France - yet!
latest report
According to the RAC, spare bulbs, first aid kit, fire extinguisher and warning triangle are 'recommended' (by whom?), rather than compulsory in France.
snow report
eEvans wrote:
Markw, I THOUGHT Puzzled Hi-Vis vests were only compulsory in Italy at the moment .... but coming to France soon.

Thats good. I not going to Italy Very Happy
ski holidays
Hi-Viz jackets in Tchibo this week: £3.50
snow report
If parked outside lift your wipers off the windscreen to prevent them becoming frozen to glass possibly leading to damaged wiper motor and /or damaged wipers Sad
latest report
Elizabeth B, yeah I can see they'd come in handy in Sheffield sometimes. I remember the bus always used to get stuck outside our house when it snowed, and the old lady next door would take the driver cups of tea about every half an hour. Ah, happy days...
It shouldn't be a problem driving to Austria in an old car so long as it's properly serviced, it's motorway mostly and most cars love that. I drove back from Munich (where I used to live) in a 14 year old BMW and it was super. Maybe someone else will know, but I think they recently made it or are very soon making it compulsory to constantly have your sidelights on in Germany or Austria or both.
snow conditions
Markw wrote:
Only 2 more sleeps 'til Friday.

Triangles are still compulsory. I had heard that you should carry a dayglo vest for each passenger in the car, in case you're sat on the hard shoulder. Any ideas?

There's some new EU legislation about this, not sure if it's fully adopted round Europe yet though. However, they're cheap and a good idea.
ski holidays
Hi Viz vests are buttons, but a real life saver at night. Buy one now.
latest report
Markw, funnily enough we received a hi-vis cape through the post this week from Renault UK as part of their winter safety campaign, we've put it in the car along with the snowchains, shovel, triangle, spare bulbs, extra screenwah, first aid kit etc. No wonder we had to buy such a huge car. Got rid of the Renault though.
snow report
ise,
Quote:

There's some new EU legislation about this, not sure if it's fully adopted round Europe yet though. However, they're cheap and a good idea

Definitely compulsory in Spain, (instant roadside fines), and you have to have them available in the passenger compartment, not in the boot. This leads to many drivers hanging them on the back of their seat, so the police can see that you have them. Many hire cars are not equipped, so take your own hi-vis jackets if flying into Barcelona/Girona to ski Andorra.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm told that hi vis vests are compulsory in Austria....so I'll get one! I'm not so much worried about the battery, just the general effect that cold can have on things. I always carry spare bulbs, jump leads and a tow rope, so I'm set with them.

Hennerz, every time it snows you get chaos because of busses getting stuck. The road up from Broomhill to Crookes is usually a big culprit for gridlocking the city Twisted Evil
snow conditions
This site www.howtogermany.com/pages/driving.html has the following information about driving in Germany:

"There are two relatively new laws, carrying fines and other penalties, that you should be aware of. They concern the passing of buses and driving on snow-covered roads. "

(bit about buses) ….

"Driving on snow-covered roads is permitted only if your car is equipped with winter tires or all-year tires. Use of regular tires can result in a fine and, much worse, loss of your insurance coverage in the event of an accident. "

Other sites, which may be out of date, just mention snow chains.

As for hi vis vests, Poundland are currently knocking them out for a pound (unsurprisingly)
snow conditions
Elizabeth B, I wouldn't worry TOO much .... if we all followed the recommended lists for foreign travel espoused here we would all need Artics as 'Back-Up' vehicles .... I travel to Italy by road at least once a fortnight ... No Hi-Vis jackets ... less often but same in Spain .... WHAT is a warning triangle ?

Not trying to belittle road safety folks but she is driving to the Alps not Peru and it isn't a rally ... Little Angel
snow conditions
eEvans, exactly the point I was trying to make above!!! snowHead
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, Sorry , poor attention levels Sad Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
ski holidays
eEvans, not surprised, strong painkillers and a poorly shoulder. My minor injury was really painful for a couple of weeks, so you have my sympathy!!
snow report
Quote:

Are you all driving Merc estates or Range Rovers?

certainly not, can't imagine why people use gas guzzling Range Rovers to drive down French autoroutes to the Alps. And if I had bought a Range Rover I wouldn't have been able to afford an apartment in the Alps! I drive back and forth in a 1996 Toyota which has now done 128,000 miles without a murmur. As others have said, a cruise down empty autoroutes is a lot less strain on a car than doing the school runs and shopping at Tescos, constantly stopping and starting and manoevring with a cold engine. We don't thrash - keep it around 80 mph and the rev counter is rarely above 3500 and we get 39 - 40 mpg (petrol). But I wouldn't do it without a good European breakdown cover (not in any age of car, as Helen Beaumont said). I am planning a route for our next trip, at the end of February, which would be autoroute to St Quentin, as it's sooooo boring, then using RNs down through the more interesting areas to Dole, then across the Jura to Geneva. Though if the Jura mountains had a lot of fresh snow I would think again. The tolls are so expensive that the saving would pay for a very pleasant dinner and stopover in a nice hotel somewhere about Dole - can anyone recommend a characterful and inexpensive hotel or chambres d'hote in that area?

I have wondered about Telepeage but never yet having to cope with any more than two or three cars at a toll station have not thought it worthwhile. Don't do it on busy Saturdays... the whole point of self drive is flexibility and not travelling with lemmings.

The demise of P & O ferries from Portsmouth is a blow as we live 12 minutes from the ferryport and I hate the M25 to Dover. Has anyone tried the new French alternative from Portsmouth - Le Havre? P & O do not take Tesco vouchers on the Dover - Calais route, though Eurotunnel do, so they now get our business. Even without having to pay for the crossing, it is quite expensive to drive. But hiring a car for weeks at a time is just too expensive, so for long trips there's not much choice. I can't cope with supermarket shopping for an apartment full of people without a car.

latest report
The wife and I always drive to the slope from NE of UK.

The ferry lands at Amsterdam at 9am and so we manage to hit the French, Swiss and Austrian Alps 9 to 11 hours later.

In two weeks time we shall spend 3 days in Garmisch Partenkirchen as we have never been to a German resort before.

Then we shall drive to Munich to pick my brother family of 4 and spend a week in St Anton.

Thereafter I shall drop him off in Munich airport and drive to Italian Sella Ronda and 6 days.

Coming back in two days always. This year we shall spend the eveing in Bonn.

Some like to fly but we like to drive because it allows us to try a different resort every day.
snow report
just returned from a week in the french alps, we drove: 2 adults and a 21month old.... Eurotunnel £106rtn, about £55 tolls and £125 diesel.

Left Hants at 3:30am, arrived in Sallanches in French Alps at 4pm local time. Would have been quicker but our car decided to develop a 200miles a litre coolant thirst!!! It you run a VW/Audi then go to a NorAuto, they sell a Motul equivalent of VAG G12, think the lady in the shop must have thought I was a nutter clearing her shelf but we got there and back just topping it up every 200miles Happy

Advantages:
No worries about what I can take
All the kit i leave with arrives with me
No supplements for an extra pair of skis
I get a comfy seat with plenty of legroom (a definate plus compared to a 30inch pitch on a cra**y charter flight
Choose when to leave
Stop where we like, eat what we like and even better, nobody to recline their seat infront of me while i try to eat an inflight plastic meal!!! Blush
Probably just about as quick to drive as it is to fly if there are no flight delays...
You can bring a full load of shopping back with you.
You're mobile in the resort and you can explore others close by or if the snow is poor you have options.

Disadvantages:
Can be a long drive in poor weather
Entertaining small kids might not be so easy though a dvd player works well - i can recite most of the noises made by Pingu Laughing

Cheers,
David
ski holidays
skinutter, By the kids earphones !
snow report
boredsurfin, or give then a job to do like paying the peage?????
latest report
Mouth, I'd never get the change back Laughing Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy