Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to a ski resort - whats it like?

Poster: A snowHead
We've already booked a trip this year but it got me thinking.

What is driving to a french ski resort like? I was thinking of taking my girlfriend for a week and wanted to make it a cheap trip - is it worth it? what the drive like?

thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nick-o, Unless you go during school holidays driving is highly ulikely to work out cheaper then other methods paticularly if it is just the two of you. Whats it like? well uually fairly good motoring on farily empty roads for the most part but the final approachs may be busy particularly druing busy times and the final ascent may obviously be icy or snowy and sometimes not easy (snow chains needed , closed for avalanche risks etc.) but is usually OK.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cool - would it be worth it in a 4x4 and didnt have to pay for the fuel?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nick-o, it should always be cheaper to fly, driving with 2 people will always be more expensive. Break point will be 3 or 4 in a car.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I doubt that it's cost effective for 2 people. Of course, you could take a few days over the drive, stay in few decent hotels, eat some good grub, visit a few interesting places, as we used to do before we had kids. Otherwise, it's a flog down the (usually uncrowded) motorways followed by a usually short, but always tedious, drive up to the resort. It's easily done with a single overnight en route, and can be done in a day if you go for it (weather permitting).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well I actually like the drive on the uncluttered ( mainly ) autoroutes and enjoy it far more than the flying experience.

I reckon it takes about 2 hours more to drive door to door for the Tarrantaise region than flying from London airports to Lyon or Geneva. I use the Channel Tunnel early morning and do it in one hit driving mainly in daylight.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nick-o, We have driven to Les2A, Val D, Morzine, Courmayeur, Aosta and in Feb will be going to Alpe d'huez. I agree with the comments re cost - when the family go there are 6 of us which makes it much cheaper, but we still drive even when it's just Me and Mrs Ax. Cost isn't the only issue. Driving is more convenient, (pick your own travel times), less stressful (no airport queues), less frustrating (no lost luggage or flight delays) more comfortable (Airport lounges! Airplane Seats!) and above all more fun! You also get to chose who you sit next to Very Happy .

We would expect to do the 800 miles in broadly 14 hours driving time, give or take, which breaks down into an easy overnight, or leave at 6.00, arrive at 20.00, so we normally do a stop on the way down (around Reims, or Troyes) but come back in one go since I don't like arriving in resort in the dark but can just about find my way through Leicester!

We always take snow chains (compulsory anyway) and include warm gear and food/drink rations (just in case) but the refereshments from the French service stations are fine (if you like sandwiches). As yet we've never had a problem with weather or traffic (apart from the M25 which is always a car-park). In summary, if you fancy it, give it a go, my bet is you'll enjoy the whole expereince far more than the airborne cattle truck.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CP, Couldn't agree more. We took 12 hours door to door when flying via Lyons - Never again! Shocked Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CP, I enjoy the drive too, although I'd rather do it at greater leisure than the usual hurtle down the m'way. You must shift, 'though. It took us about 6.5 hours door to door to get to Courchevel by air (via Geneva) the other week (we're quite close to LHR). I could'nt do it in 8.5 by car, and I tend not to hang around; you must really get your foot down on the autoroutes (see thread on French speed cameras)!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nick-o, We've just done it for the first time! A good experience all in all and as we only paid £50 for the return crossing on Speedferries and stayed in a valley town it was very cost effective even for the two of us (compared to Xmas TO prices!) I wouldn't even dream of trying to do it in one day, I'd be too exhausted to ski when I got there, so we did an overnight stop both ways which was very nice. We're going to be doing a couple more drives this year so we'll see if they're all such a pleasure....I'm sure it depends on traffic/weather etc and our drive was just all plain sailing.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Flying is normally faster, safer, and cheaper. Why drive?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have done it with 3, and it was great fun. I also did it on my own, and it was not. Overnight stops, practically essential, IMHO.

I have been trapped by snow-blocked roads. So you have to be prepared to cope with that (I stayed at a hotel). The same would apply if you were with a TO - but on your own you have to cope yourself. Consider getting covered car park space. Without it, I have had to move the almost every day for a week for snow clearance vehicles - no fun when you come home to the roar of snow-clearance vehicles with flashing lights, as you come off the slopes in the gloom. I had no option about moving the vehicle, either, unless I had wished the French to move it/graunch it. It wasn't just car-park clearance, it had something to do with the snow generated by avalanche clearance. Oh. And despite leaving my chains on, and having a shovel, I have ripped off mudflaps when finally getting away.

Don't forget that in January it can be seriously cold. Outside, engines can be very slow to turn over when starting, and antifreeze and windscreen wash has to be up to it. Make sure you have, and can fit in unpleasant circumstances, chains.

Overall, with ferry costs, hotel bills, road tolls and car park charges, it can be expensive. But it can also be convenient - and you have a pretty generous baggage allowance!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
On Monday we shall set off at 03.00, drive 115m to Manchester, Arrive Lyon 09.00. A comfortable coach will then take us to Les Menuires. By 14.30 I shall have been to the rental shops with the kids and shall get 2.5 hrs skiing in before someone cooks me a nice cake and then dinner.

I suffer from a bad back, knees, and a sticky hip. On the bus, plane, and at the airport i will be able to walk around, stretch, relax, read, play games with the kids.

If doing a DIY holiday, If time was not an issue, and if car hire was needed at the destination airport then I may, and I repeat, may consider it. 2 yrs ago we drove from home to the Dordogne. I used to drive trucks for 10 yrs and am useed to driving all day. But with my old bones, kids, weather, traffic, concentration, idiots, danger, cost, depreciation, etc etc - FORGET IT.

I am at a loss as to how folks find the driving easier or more pleasant. Whats the difference from being sat on a coach as to a car?. Whats the hassle with airports?.
AxsMan,
Quote:

We took 12 hours door to door when flying via Lyons
. A lot less than had you driven.

You're all mad.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
richmond wrote:
CP, I enjoy the drive too, although I'd rather do it at greater leisure than the usual hurtle down the m'way. You must shift, 'though. It took us about 6.5 hours door to door to get to Courchevel by air (via Geneva) the other week (we're quite close to LHR). I could'nt do it in 8.5 by car, and I tend not to hang around; you must really get your foot down on the autoroutes (see thread on French speed cameras)!

I did not break any speed limits I can assure you. It took 10 hours from Calais to Villaroger using the 'scenic' route that via michelin offered me, this included two stops for fuel, pee and leg stretch. I returned in 9 hours using the Lyon route - further but quicker.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frosty the Snowman, Actually only 2 hours less, and MUCH more frustration and hassle.

Maybe I'm crazy but I find dragging a pile of baggage (and 4 kids) round a depressing dump like Lyons Airport, waiting hours for delayed flights and connecting busses, and humping said bags on and off sundry transports just too much of a pain in the derriere. I actually like the experience of bowling along French autoroutes (almost universally empty) and seeing the scenery go by. My car seats have far more legroom than the cheapo flights, and we can stop and stretch our legs (walk around, eat, etc) whenever we feel like it.

With an overnight stop on the way down it actually extends the holiday and we've stayed in some lovely little hotels in both Reims and Troyes. All in all, I'd be happy to pay MORE to take the car, but with Tunnel crossings for £40 each way, around £130 quids worth of juice, and about £80 of tolls it's actually break even (ish) for 2, huge savings for 6. (oh and we don't have to be up for 0300 wink )

Each to his own I suppose snowHead
ski holidays
AxsMan wrote:

... but I find dragging a pile of baggage ....

A sense of self preservation has prompted me to add that this referred to our combined luggage and not in any way to Mrs Ax, at all, no maam, never.

Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
I don't know why I prefer driving to flying. I don't normally do much of it, maybe that's why. You can stop (more or less) when you want to, I suppose. I don't like airports, but they're no big deal. Maybe it's because driving minimises my interaction with other people, most of whom are horrid. If I had the time to drive down in a leisurely way, maybe spending 2 or 3 nights each way instead of 1, I'd definitely do it (to French resorts) in preference to flying. As it is, we usually fly.

I can't be bothered to work it out, but I doubt that in school hols, the cost of flying 4 people (including transfers/parking at each end) from London to resort is less than the cost of driving them. It cost £520 return flights LHR - GVA + £255 return transfer GVA - Courchevel + £65 return tranfer home - LHR = £840 the other week (2 adults, 2 kids). I'm sure we could have driven for less. No doubt someone will tell me that we could have flown for less.

We're expecting to holiday in France this summer, maybe in the Jura, and we'll drive, if only because we're apparently taking the bloody dog.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 6-01-06 14:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
If its just the two of you ....fly, as im sure its cheaper way !!
snow report
xyzpaul wrote:
Flying is normally faster, safer, and cheaper. Why drive?

Flying to Val D'Isere over Christmas took 16.5 hours each way door to door.

Last year flying to Les Arcs took 19 hours.

Such delays seem to be more and more frequent. In fact I can't remember the last time I took a charter flight that wasn't at least 3 or 4 hours delayed. If I had a half decent car I'd definitely drive.
snow report
HMM, drove there and back over Christmas, too much stuff for the new apartment (and the dog) to fly down. It's a long drive from up north , so I see where Frosty the Snowman is coming from, but I have to say we do enjoy the trip down. A 7am start got us onto a 1.30pm Tunnel crossing (cost zilch as I used my Tesco Clubcard vouchers). Arrived in our hotel just outside Epernay around 6, walked the dog, shower then a nice dinner, kir royales, and a bottle of wine. Next morning, 8.30 am start after decent buffet breakfast, arriving in Serre Chevalier around 5.30 after a quick lunch stop on the way. (French moroway services are much betterm they do nice cooked meals as well as sandwiches and are much cheaper then UK ones). The return journey was a bit more fraught, as we had to get the dog back into the UK within 24-48 hours of tick and tapeworm treatment, but again the hotel was OK, and close to the autoroute(reims this time), also a gorgeous Osso Bucco at a nice Italian restaurant for dinner. The only downside was the food in the UK services on our return, as we weren't in time to make our usual trip to Auchan to get lunch and dinner before we crossed.The Uk food cost 25 quid for 4 sandwiches and 4 drinks! We ate a meal up the mountain for 30 including wine the day before. In conclusion, if I lived closer to the Channel and could avoid the UK partof the journey, I'd drive every time. Door to door from Durham to Serre Che via Geneva (no flights to Turin or Grenoble) would take about 10 hours if there were no delays, but beacause the flight arrives late at night, we;d probably choose to stay somewhere on the way, so time wouldn't be too much different.
ski holidays
December 29th. Left Montalbert 09.00 arrived home (near Salisbury) 21:00. A fairly normal drive. Longest delay was Toll booths near Lyon and working out exactly where the speed camera is near Dijon Toofy Grin
Kids in the back got through 3 DVD's The car got through 2 and half tanks of petrol. snowHead
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, If I lived Saaarf of the river I would be a go-er. 6.5 hrs to Dover is about right on a good day with no jams. Now if there was a Durham Tees Valley to Grenoble Service 6.5 hrs would see me skiing.
snow report
Nick-o, to make it a cheap trip - if that is your start point - then how about going with a coach based operator. Cheapest by far from my research.
snow report
Dave Burt, sorry to hear about your problems fkying but you've reinforced why we drive, we can get from London to La Rosiere in about 12 hours if we want to just bash away at the autoroutes but far more satifying to stop in a nice hotel, have a good meal and not rush. To me that's all part of the holiday.
snow report
David@traxvax wrote:
more satifying to stop in a nice hotel, have a good meal and not rush. To me that's all part of the holiday.
my thoughts exactly!!! Very Happy
ski holidays
Nick-o,
Looks like for most people it is personal preference rather than economy. Living in Scotland I hate the drive back from the alps all the way through England and then facing work so always fly now. I doubt even without petrol you can do a holiday much cheaper than some of the discounted holidaysthat you can get off peak by booking late.

If calculating dont forget cost of tolls, chains, possible parking at other end, insurance, depreciation, stops on route maybe hotels.

This may be ofset by staying somewhere out of resort a bit cheaper , shopping out of resort ditto, cheap food, booze to bring back, though you may just eat/drink more rather than the same amount cheaper. wink
latest report
Helen Beaumont wrote:
David@traxvax wrote:
more satifying to stop in a nice hotel, have a good meal and not rush. To me that's all part of the holiday.
I agree!
snow conditions
I've driven from Chester to Italy in 20 hrs - then back into France past Briancon up to Ceillac. A hard drive but with 2 people swapping it's not a bad journey. Just pack plenty of energy drinks and caffine tablets.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scarpa, Aussie relative staying with us at the mo came from Sydney in about the same time.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, Cool - last time I flew from there it took 25 hrs - got a free bottle of champers for helping a couple look after a unaccompanied kid hehehe - they did most of the work but didn't drink hehehe. Where's ya mate from? I lived in Newtown and Enmore.
snow report
There is a 2 page spread on driving to the Alps in todays Daily Mail (we buy it for the customers......honest!)
Saturday 8/1/6
latest report
T Bar wrote:

I doubt even without petrol you can do a holiday much cheaper than some of the discounted holidaysthat you can get off peak by booking late.

Not all of us have that luxury of being able to book late. Even when we go without the children, the time off has to be booked well in advance, and than can't easily be changed at the last minute.
snow conditions
fraserp wrote:
Helen Beaumont wrote:
David@traxvax wrote:
I agree!

ditto absolument! snowHead
snow conditions
Scarpa, Newcastle NSW. We go skiing on Monday and she's offto see some mates in Malta Shocked for a week. Malta was the worst place I have been for a holiday.
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont,

Quote:

Not all of us have that luxury of being able to book late. Even when we go without the children, the time off has to be booked well in advance, and than can't easily be changed at the last minute.

True, but for most weeks of the season there are quite a lot of last minute special deals so that if you book the time off you can usually pick them up, even if you have to book your time off well in advance.
If you can't get them well you can still drive without losing much money as there is little to be saved by buying ferry tickets well in advance in the overall scheme of things.
latest report
I have driven or co-shared many many times. I generally think that travelling down to the alps takes all day. Sometimes its quicker by air, but mostly we beat our friends on planes, even if that is down to an early start or a delay. Of course, you can get a delay on the road as well but if you had petrol and the 4x4, free, then I would say try it.

If we can leave Calais tomorrow by 0900 CET I expect to get to Engelberg before dark, I think 8 1/2 hrs easily with fuel and brisk coffee stops/change of drivers. It will help - enormously, if you have a change of driver and altho' possible to do it with one, it is asking a lot. Well like to go and get there so no overnight stops.
Of course, if the weather closes in - which is what we are praying for, that makes driving a bit more serious.
You will need chains and other bits of kits.

The general route to France for us from Calais, means, Rheims - 2 hrs, Dijon - 4 hrs, Geneva - 6 hrs.
Lyon is just over 6 as well. The worst/slowest part is driving up the hill. Moutier/Abbertville or beyond Genoble, is slowish...but then you are nearly there so excitment takes over.

Best time ever to Chamonix is under 6:15 with stops but the speeds hammered our petrol consumption so will not be doing that again. Apart from the fact that it was a bit of a silly drive We now stick to around 85mph.

But IMV, the best way to travel is by train if you can get almost to the resort... Far easier to sleep on them and I can cat-nap anywhere....
snow report
Driving out to the Alps,for the first time,this coming April.Spent an age on various sites,working out all the various permutations of flights,times,car hire,transfers etc etc Confused
End result,financial nonsense.Every which way resulted in a travel cost of around £1000(2 adults,2 children)With both of us at work,and both kids at school,last minute bargains are nigh on impossible.Time off has to be arranged well in advance,and I prefer to relax with all arrangements in place Very Happy
We're off for two weeks,to two resorts(see the sig)so car hire is essential.Best flight,by far,was out of Gatwick.As I'm in the Midlands,that's a two hour drive;one more hour I'm in Dover.£25 across with Speedferries,and we're off.Love French roads and(most)French eateries.Allocated two days travel at each end so,out Friday am to arrive Sat sometime wink Overnight stop,prob F1(cheap as chips)Fuel and tolls;I would be amazed if I didn't half the travel cost?A 'fag packet' calculation tells me the saving on car hire should pay for the trip?Which leaves the saving on flights to pay for lift passes Very Happy
Will it all pan out,will the kids drive me mad,will the wife leave me( Toofy Grin )will I be found wandering dazed and confused on a snow bound mountain road;no idea,I ain't done it yet?
I do know this.I will be able to go where 'I' want to go,when 'I' decide to go there.I will decide the baggage allowance and the seating arrangements.I will not have to drag my family out into the night,to meet some dis-interested person who just wants to be rid of me.In short,I will be in control and,to me,that's worth a lot.
latest report
snowskisnow, my hubby could have written that himself.
snow conditions
We've driven to the mountains numerous times, the first to Flaine years ago when flying was ridiculously expensive. We'd only have had half the skiing holidays we've had over the years otherwise.

Once children came along it was the only affordable way to travel and much easier than flying. We could take a sister or nanny with us to look after the boys while we skiied at no extra expense. It helps that we live only an hour and a half from the coast so our journey to the ferry terminals is quite short, and for years we went to Morzine, which is only 8 hours from Calais.

What's important is that at least 2 people are happy driving for at least 2 hours each - that's the way we do it anyway - 2-3 hours driving, quick stop for coffee, swop drivers and off again. And then we fight for the last lovely bit up the mountain! It helps that we've nearly always had a company car with fuel paid for of course (and the tolls go on expenses!), and that we both enjoy driving.
latest report
it's very interesting, but make sure you have lots of breaks. Oh, and snow chains for when you get in the resort! We needed them to get out!
Best places to stay are the cheap hotels. Formule 1 if u want to be really cheap, but better off for a couple more euros are mister bed, village hotel, and etap.
ibis is a more luxury option.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy