Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

8 Weeks Skiing - Where and how?

Poster: A snowHead
@Samerberg Sue Thx !!!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't understand the off-piste difference between Alps and American.

As Alps, for example at Meribel of Three Valleys, Chair Cote Brune (just on the right hand with Mont Du Vallon on the piste map). You could skiing down follow red color piste, groomed, Venturon, or you could skiing down just under the chair line, side near Venturon would be easier, side near Lac De La Chambre would be steeper, maybe cliff. It's off-piste, right ?

As American, normally they mark every ungroomed trails you could follow on a bowl, with single black or double black. So, if Chair Cote Brune at American, maybe more 3 or 5 black ungroomed trail on the map.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@wowmac, in a nutshell, "off-piste" in France means not avalanche protected. No explosions to purge unstable snow (unless in threatens an open piste)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
abc wrote:
Quote:

I feel like I'd struggle on my own, especially because I'm not great in powder.. yet

I don't know if anyone had mentioned it already. One of the big potential when you have a large block of time is to get into some form of lesson plan. So, instead of learning some skill and then forgetting it by the next season, you get to practice, improve, and then practice and improve at the next level.

If you found you finish your mini-season and still more or less the same level of skier, you have not use your time well.

So, a good lesson option should also factor into your planning.

Someone mentioned lessons and I kinda brushed past it... but that's a really good point. Would love to learn how to ski powder properly, and by the sounds of it, on the right day Chamonix could be pretty good for that. Great shout (y)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yup... the standard Amade season pass costs 519 Euros, the larger area one is 610 (purchased prior to 3rd Dec).

@Dunny#1, There are a varity of places to find accom, I generally stayed in the lovely B&B run by snowHeads very own flangesax. There is another place run by friends of mine about 3km away, and I also stayed at a guesthouse just up the road when the other place was fully booked. I just picked my region and then searched the web for accomodation sites. Plenty of nice off piste about too.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dunny#1 wrote:
{in north america} Most of the major ski areas have free bus services. You wouldn't need a car.
Well yes and no. I've done it both ways, exclusively on buses when I was poor. If you time it right you can save a night in a hotel every time you take a long bus ride.

For "ski hill" access they always have buses, although often I'm the only adult on them. The schedules aren't always helpful, so you can expect a fair bit of waiting around. They seldom stop outside where you're staying - you may have a trudge or a taxi ride at the town end. It can feel a little odd walking through a city in the rain in ski boots but no one seems to mind.

For distance, Greyhounds are good but they are full of poor people and would probably appear a bit intimidating if you're not used to that. In 25 years of Greyhounds I've not seen any trouble, but it happens. Not having a car can make it tricky when you need to switch resorts - think through the logistics in advance. You can expect to have to mix taxis with Greyhounds (there are free phones at the stations). Canadian Greyhound stations have brilliant pinball machines. The food is all inedible.

Although car rental costs burn me up, especially when I have to pay to park the car too, you need to look at it in the round. Often not having a car means you have to stay right in the resort, which is usually the most expensive place. So driving there and staying somewhere else is a better approach. Somewhere like SLC you don't want (IMHO) to stay at any of the hills - stay in the city, eat good feed, get cheapo accommodation, then drive or bus up to the resort which has the best snow on the day. Oh, you can also buy cheaper lift tickets in the town. A car makes you more like a local and less like a tourist.

It's kind of tricky finding places to stay if you can't drive to them. For example the Greyhound drop-off in Revelstoke is away from the hotels, and the bus I was on arrived at 04:00 [because the schedules were screwed by the snow]. At minus thirty something there was a none zero death risk on that one. If you're not up to dragging your swag through the streets at that time in the morning looking for somewhere to stay....

...rent a car wink

--
But don't do it at an airport, as they charge an extra levy for that. In my experience the best approach is to get as far away from glitzy international airports as you can and then hire something. Usually the smallest and cheapest is huge.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scarpa wrote:
Yup... the standard Amade season pass costs 519 Euros, the larger area one is 610 (purchased prior to 3rd Dec).

@Dunny#1, There are a varity of places to find accom, I generally stayed in the lovely B&B run by snowHeads very own flangesax. There is another place run by friends of mine about 3km away, and I also stayed at a guesthouse just up the road when the other place was fully booked. I just picked my region and then searched the web for accomodation sites. Plenty of nice off piste about too.

Will check that B&B out Very Happy Thanks! Yeah - think I'd grab some off piste lessons/a guide or something.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@peanuthead Got it !!!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
philwig wrote:
Dunny#1 wrote:
{in north america} Most of the major ski areas have free bus services. You wouldn't need a car.
Well yes and no. I've done it both ways, exclusively on buses when I was poor. If you time it right you can save a night in a hotel every time you take a long bus ride.

For "ski hill" access they always have buses, although often I'm the only adult on them. The schedules aren't always helpful, so you can expect a fair bit of waiting around. They seldom stop outside where you're staying - you may have a trudge or a taxi ride at the town end. It can feel a little odd walking through a city in the rain in ski boots but no one seems to mind.

For distance, Greyhounds are good but they are full of poor people and would probably appear a bit intimidating if you're not used to that. In 25 years of Greyhounds I've not seen any trouble, but it happens. Not having a car can make it tricky when you need to switch resorts - think through the logistics in advance. You can expect to have to mix taxis with Greyhounds (there are free phones at the stations). Canadian Greyhound stations have brilliant pinball machines. The food is all inedible.

Although car rental costs burn me up, especially when I have to pay to park the car too, you need to look at it in the round. Often not having a car means you have to stay right in the resort, which is usually the most expensive place. So driving there and staying somewhere else is a better approach. Somewhere like SLC you don't want (IMHO) to stay at any of the hills - stay in the city, eat good feed, get cheapo accommodation, then drive or bus up to the resort which has the best snow on the day. Oh, you can also buy cheaper lift tickets in the town. A car makes you more like a local and less like a tourist.

It's kind of tricky finding places to stay if you can't drive to them. For example the Greyhound drop-off in Revelstoke is away from the hotels, and the bus I was on arrived at 04:00 [because the schedules were screwed by the snow]. At minus thirty something there was a none zero death risk on that one. If you're not up to dragging your swag through the streets at that time in the morning looking for somewhere to stay....

...rent a car wink

--
But don't do it at an airport, as they charge an extra levy for that. In my experience the best approach is to get as far away from glitzy international airports as you can and then hire something. Usually the smallest and cheapest is huge.

All super useful - I'm hitting up Whistler next week so I'll check out the Canadian system and see what the deal is then, have heard interesting things about Greyhounds - but pinball machines sell me NehNeh

I wouldn't be against getting a car if it wasn't for the price - I'm 25 in April, but until that point I have to pay obscene charges for being under age. Spent a week in LA in Jan, car hire cost £110, young driver surcharge cost £135... That was from an Airport, though. US & Canada now looking less appealing dammit.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I economise by living in a motor home in Chamonix for the season. I love it! Laughing rolling eyes
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My two cents worth. I would hit Canada or Japan. For 8 weeks I would prob sway towards Canada if you dont want to rent a car. Not sure if anyone has mentioned Whistler? Yes, it is very mainstream but for a 24 year old its pretty fun. Many moons ago I did a season there when I was 24 and it was one of the best 6 months of my life. Awesome terrain, snow "generally" good - odds are it will be good. Every day is a ski day, ie ski in the trees if the vis is crap. Plenty of stuff going on. Easy to get around. Accom could be a bit pricey but if you sort something out early you should be ok. I see you are heading there soon so I am sure you will scope it out. It can get busy in peak periods but outside of these the queues are minimal. Also you got consider Fernie - I spent 8 weeks there (6 years ago), brilliant ski field hardly any queues at all and awesome skiing. The town is a bus ride away but its easy and most people hitch easy enough. Hostels there are pretty cheap and ok. I didnt spend anywhere close to 5k over 8 weeks. Just get a season pass now and that will save a bit. Its more of a down to earth place than Whistler and pretty quiet but it depends on what you want. Japan is awesome - you will learn how to ski powder pretty quickly. Its cheaper than Europe once you get there - you could prob still get a flight for £650, terrain not as steep as Europe or Canada but it snows A LOT. I wish I had 8 weeks of free time....dam it. Enjoy what ever you do
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BMG wrote:
My two cents worth. I would hit Canada or Japan. For 8 weeks I would prob sway towards Canada if you dont want to rent a car. Not sure if anyone has mentioned Whistler? Yes, it is very mainstream but for a 24 year old its pretty fun. Many moons ago I did a season there when I was 24 and it was one of the best 6 months of my life. Awesome terrain, snow "generally" good - odds are it will be good. Every day is a ski day, ie ski in the trees if the vis is crap. Plenty of stuff going on. Easy to get around. Accom could be a bit pricey but if you sort something out early you should be ok. I see you are heading there soon so I am sure you will scope it out. It can get busy in peak periods but outside of these the queues are minimal. Also you got consider Fernie - I spent 8 weeks there (6 years ago), brilliant ski field hardly any queues at all and awesome skiing. The town is a bus ride away but its easy and most people hitch easy enough. Hostels there are pretty cheap and ok. I didnt spend anywhere close to 5k over 8 weeks. Just get a season pass now and that will save a bit. Its more of a down to earth place than Whistler and pretty quiet but it depends on what you want. Japan is awesome - you will learn how to ski powder pretty quickly. Its cheaper than Europe once you get there - you could prob still get a flight for £650, terrain not as steep as Europe or Canada but it snows A LOT. I wish I had 8 weeks of free time....dam it. Enjoy what ever you do

Haha, talk about timing! This thread is a little old now, the plan now is to do Jan-April Very Happy

Amusing you say that about Whistler. I went last week for a week's mountain biking and COMPLETELY fell in love with the place. I've never visited somewhere that I've loved as much as I did Whistler, the mountain biking was so epic, but the skiing is probably equally sick. The problem is a visa really Sad Yeah, flights aren't too bad - I'd love to, but I'd like to do a good 4 months and the maximum visa is 90 days, we shall see though Wink

Ah I will, whatever happens I'll post about it! Very Happy Man, envious of 8 weeks in Whistler...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just a quick note to say thank you to everyone who chipped in and gave advice. A slight change of plan, 8 weeks has become four months Very Happy After reading all the posts (and being sold on Chamonix by @fixx) - that's where I'm heading from January to April in an apartment which has all been sorted, all I need now is some fresh planks of wood Laughing Laughing Thanks all!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I once met a guy with a season pass at Vail and St Anton. He said the American season passes are particularly good value.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Vail epic pass. About £500. Unlimited skiing at 12 resorts, including 5 days Verbier for some reason.

Amazing value.
snow report
I'd hire an RV in Denver for two months, buy the Vail epic pass and hit the road. Use forums to meet locals to show you round and live the American Dream.
snow report
@Dunny#1, top choice! I'm very jealous. Just dropped you a PM, and check out this thread with lots of reports from last year too:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=113172

This years' will appear sometime soon I'm sure.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy