Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

8 Weeks Skiing - Where and how?

Poster: A snowHead
After some advice from the many awesome snowheads around these here forums! I've trawled the archives and grabbed a load of useful info, but any more would be great.

I'm sick and fed up of work, so think I'm going to take some time out and maybe spend a couple months skiing... somewhere. I have no idea where to go, how much to budget or where to find somewhere. So, a couple of question if anyone is equally bored behind a computer screen....

- Where would you go? I thought about Europe, but it looks far more challenging to find places to stay - AirBNB is pretty much non existent
- I have no intention of working when in resort (apart from running a few bits digitally) - just want to ski LOTS
- What would you budget? I literally have no idea - I'm thinking £5K should be enough for everything if I do it on a reasonable budget (on my own)?
- Renting a car is possible, but I'd rather not - I'll still be 24 and as such get hit with an extortionate extra fee when renting

Any advice would be rewarded with virtual cookies Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bourg st.maurice or frisco colorado.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Dunny#1, what sort of skiing do you like? Speak any languages? Looking for nightlife and social scene? etc
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Where are you based now? Europe or elsewhere?

Europe is very doable – I’ve spent 2 winters in Chamonix now (not working, just skiing), and AirBNB is alive and kicking, plus many other options for accommodation. Though options will depend on your dates! It’ll be easier if your stay starts after New Year for example. I’m happy to help with more details if Cham is of interest – and many other snowHeads know it very well too.

If you bought a season lift pass in advance, £5k would be very possible if you’re happy in basic accommodation, and don’t need to drink in champagne bars. Car not essential (though nice to have) as there are plenty of buses to the slopes, if you aren’t already staying beside some.

Another option would be Innsbruck – clarky999 would be the expert there. I’d have loved to do that, but was living in Geneva, so Chamonix was a much easier option for me (plus I speak French, but no German!).

With a bit of work you could also find accommodation in other places like Morzine, Les Carroz etc, all with access to big ski areas that would easily keep you entertained for a couple of months, and within budget.

What are your key requirements? E.g. amounts of après/social life, what level of skiing, do you want to tour, does it have to be a big area or are you happy getting to know a smaller one etc? And roughly what time in the season?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don - thanks! Colorado would be rad, haven't ever tried American slopes. Hitting up Whistler next week for some downhill mountain biking, so that's an option too.
Clarky - Anything Very Happy About 15 weeks under my belt, so I'd say high intermediate, pretty dire in powder - useless at jumps but love them both. Nightlife and social don't matter at all to be honest. As for languages, if someone held a gun to my head I could just about manage basi French, but that could be a reason to learn one.
Fixx - UK at the mo. I'd been looking mostly in Austria for Airbnb, Chamonix could be a great shout - I'll take a look. Innsbruck could be cool, I guess it's just the transportation to the resorts? I deffo don't want to do any work with anyone - I'll probably have a few bits of consulting to do in spare time that I can do over Skype, so I'll pass on that one.

Key requirements - good shout: Apres/social isn't important, timing in the season could be any (in 2016 though, Jan/Feb, Feb/March ideally), the bigger the area the better - I get bored reaaally easily.

Thanks for the help all! Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hmmm, you’re in a good situation where quite a few places could suit your requirements! If you stick to the bigger European areas then you can get by no problem in English, and of course North America would be fine Smile

Re. budget, personally I’d skip North America, and use the money saved on the flight, transport, drinks etc for better accom or lessons in Europe. And then do North America later. Your call though!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Dunny#1, love the idea of BASI French !
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That's a fair point, although flights aren't as much money as expected - Canada looks like about £600 return if I book in advance (I paid £700 to Vancouver with less than 4 weeks notice, some bargains still to be had!).

Where would you guys suggest looking for accommodation, any other tips outside of AirBNB? Thanks Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Dunny#1, a lot of the shares seem to be made up on Seasonnaire Facebook pages... there are often people looking for an extra person on those groups.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I do seasons in Austria and find that approx 5k can last 4 months if you are careful. Quite a few B&Bs around, free ski buses to be had and the season pass is damned cheap and covers up to 44 resorts.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I did this myself 5 years ago. Bored of work and single I jacked it all in and went to ski. Having run through all the different accommodation options I decided the best way for me was really just to go on a succession of linked holidays. I drove down and spent the first week in January in a pre-booked chalet in la Tania. On the Wednesday of that week I posted an ad in the Chalets Direct Solutions Room for the following week and some amazing last minute offers rolled in. I did this for a couple of months spending time in Tignes, La Plagne, La Tania, Chamonix, Les Arcs and Chatel. Each Saturday I would pack the car, drive down to Bourg/Moutiers, wash my clothes and then go and join another chalet. On the Wednesday of each week I would place a new ad and then book the best offer. Apart from the skiing the big plus side for me were lots of nice, happy people to talk to in the evenings in some really nice chalets and no hassle. I always got a room to myself, paid on average £300 a week (often after a huge discount) for accommodation, food and wine. The only downside was having to pay the tourist rate for the lift pass each week which racked up the costs. Over 8 weeks I probably spent about £5k including petrol, road tolls and other expenses. Obviously though you do need a car. If you have the funds or can get a loan then rather than rent one why not buy one here, drive it down to the Alps and then sell it when you get back? It makes it all so much easier and you have the reassurance that if you don’t manage to sort chalet accommodation you can drive to a cheap motel in the valley and sort something out from there.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
- Gämsbock, great shout - hadn't even thought of that! I'll add that to my notes.
- Scarpa, are you just finding them on Booking.com etc? That'd be a good shout, need to look into Ski buses. I'd love to do Austria to be honest.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sauceboy wrote:
I did this myself 5 years ago. Bored of work and single I jacked it all in and went to ski. Having run through all the different accommodation options I decided the best way for me was really just to go on a succession of linked holidays. I drove down and spent the first week in January in a pre-booked chalet in la Tania. On the Wednesday of that week I posted an ad in the Chalets Direct Solutions Room for the following week and some amazing last minute offers rolled in. I did this for a couple of months spending time in Tignes, La Plagne, La Tania, Chamonix, Les Arcs and Chatel. Each Saturday I would pack the car, drive down to Bourg/Moutiers, wash my clothes and then go and join another chalet. On the Wednesday of each week I would place a new ad and then book the best offer. Apart from the skiing the big plus side for me were lots of nice, happy people to talk to in the evenings in some really nice chalets and no hassle. I always got a room to myself, paid on average £300 a week (often after a huge discount) for accommodation, food and wine. The only downside was having to pay the tourist rate for the lift pass each week which racked up the costs. Over 8 weeks I probably spent about £5k including petrol, road tolls and other expenses. Obviously though you do need a car. If you have the funds or can get a loan then rather than rent one why not buy one here, drive it down to the Alps and then sell it when you get back? It makes it all so much easier and you have the reassurance that if you don’t manage to sort chalet accommodation you can drive to a cheap motel in the valley and sort something out from there.

That's an awesome idea, I hadn't even thought of that! Ah I have a car sat at home I can use (IE not in London), winter tyres and I'd be good to go. That's almost the conclusion I came to for 8 weeks, just to try and put a bunch of cheaper holidays together.

Thanks man, appreciated!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It worked really well for me. The problem with going for a couple of months is that you are not going for long enough to become a ‘proper’ seasonaire and enjoy the advantages of shared seasonnaire accommodation cheap lift passes and all the camaraderie that goes with it. Given that you may as well embrace being a punter, hang out with other holiday makers and enjoy skiing all day every day! The only thing to bear in mind is around the middle of February UK half term arrives and the cheap chalet offers dry up. You might consider returning home for a few weeks to see the folks or even see if you can find work in resort. When all the chalet rooms are booked the transition from nice friendly guest to welcome pair of hands can be an easy one. Not as easy as the transition back though! Hope you manage to do it and have a fantastic time
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My son has spent the last 2 winters in the Alps. The first one he worked slave labour for Inghams, but still had a great time. The second one he booked a room in a seasonnaire chalet for about £2k for the winter, drove out with a mate, skied loads, ate cheap food, didn't drink as much as some of the others in his chalet, and got changeover day and cleaning jobs when the money started to run out. I think that after he had bought his lift pass he had about £1000- not entirely sure, as I'm only his Mum! He has now paid us back the £2k we lent him before the season for the accommodation costs. So he spent a whole season out there for well under £5k without doing very much work.
snow report
@Dunny#1, there are also some hostels about that do deals on long term but not full season stays, e.g.
http://www.chaletchardons.com/hotel-lodgings.html
http://chaletarc.co.uk/
http://www.loftbourg.com/winter_loft.shtml
snow conditions
I love the idea of having a car and booking last minute deals – I've toyed with this myself in the past…

But for info, here’s a rough idea of what it could cost in Chamonix (as that’s what I know best), and some sites to check out:

Accommodation:
Insted will do 8 week stays, and I know a number of people who’ve been really happy with them – it’s also a built in social life/set of ski buddies if you go for a shared apartment – http://www.insted.com/accommodation-chamonix/
Chamsocial is the main message board. Very busy and messy, but lots of accom offers and options come up frequently. Feel free to post your own add. You should be able to find something for a similar price to Instead - www.chamsocial.com/
The main Chamonix FB group – which will get busier again closer to the ski season. Similar to ChamSocial board – www.facebook.com/groups/chamonix.skibums/

Based on Insted prices 8 weeks in a bunk would set you back @1000EUR or @1300EUR for a private room in shared apartment

Lift pass:
@900EUR for MBU at early bird season prices

Other:
@50EUR for carte neige
Personally I’d set aside @400EUR for lessons – that’ll get you a fairly generous amount: a few Thursday afternoon all-mountain seasonnaire lessons @40EUR a shot (and meet lots of ski buddies), plus a 3 day course and guided session on the Vallee Blanche (might as well while you’re there!). You’ll end the 8 weeks a much better skier.
@100EUR for occasional transport to Courmayeur or Verbier (ski passes included in your MBU Cham pass)
Basic food/drink @£400 for 8 weeks
Flights (with luggage) and transfers: @£200

So even with a private room (but shared apartment) and lessons, that’s your basics for 8 weeks in Cham @£2500 (with the current weak euro), leaving £2500 for better food, drink, gear, euro fluctuations… – or keeping it in the bank Wink

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 18-08-15 14:45; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Damnit @fixx, you've got me looking at that now... Can't do it this winter. Got to work. Gah!
ski holidays
I did 10 weeks last season and 9 the season before in Les Deux Alpes. I did split trips though, January and March/April avoiding the busy and expensive period. That way I rented my own apartment for a very good price.
snow report
@Dunny#1, all the resorts have websites with links to accommodation. I like the idea of a series of last minute holidays though. In a big area such as the Espace Killy you could probably get a season pass and still get deals. Skiing the 4 weeks before and the five weeks after the month of French school holidays, as ClaudeB suggested, would help keep costs down and keep boredom at bay. Though you'd have to be lacking in imagination to find the Espace Killy boring in half a season... wink
snow report
Thank you so much for all the comments - I've read them all (that made a terrible train journey bearable), knew I'd come to the right place NehNeh Hadn't thought about half term as an issue, again good point - maybe that week I can head down to one of the cities and grab a shared workspace for the week.

£2.5K for a season is seriously cheap... Maybe I'll do this more often Very Happy

Fixx - That's epic!! Thank you so much for that, Insted looks really, really cool actually.

Sounds like Europe is going to be the best bet based on all this info, and all good shouts on school holidays.

I could have spent weeks researching and not had the info you guys have just given me.
snow conditions
sauceboy wrote:

If there was a "like" button on SHs, I would have liked this
latest report
If I have a couple months, I'd cross the pond. (I'm based in the US, so I would go to Europe if I got that much time. For you, it would be N. America). The flight, you'll have to pay that EVERY TIME. Doing it once and enjoy the other side for a couple months is far better than spending that same big amount for only a couple weeks! Plus, you lose less in jetlag.

Season pass is a must. So you want a domain that's big enough to entertain you for the length of time. In the US, Colorado is the most obvious choice. the skiing is right on for upper intermediate. Lodging might be a tad expensive but I would look for long stay in homes rather than hotels. There're probably other domains. Look into Canada too.

The advantage of N.America is, with that much time in hand, you have access to inbound off-piste which you won't have in Europe.

Most of the major ski areas have free bus services. You wouldn't need a car.
snow conditions
abc wrote:
If I have a couple months, I'd cross the pond. (I'm based in the US, so I would go to Europe if I got that much time. For you, it would be N. America). The flight, you'll have to pay that EVERY TIME. Doing it once and enjoy the other side for a couple months is far better than spending that same big amount for only a couple weeks! Plus, you lose less in jetlag.

Season pass is a must. So you want a domain that's big enough to entertain you for the length of time. In the US, Colorado is the most obvious choice. the skiing is right on for upper intermediate. Lodging might be a tad expensive but I would look for long stay in homes rather than hotels. There're probably other domains. Look into Canada too.

The advantage of N.America is, with that much time in hand, you have access to inbound off-piste which you won't have in Europe.

Most of the major ski areas have free bus services. You wouldn't need a car.

I'm still so tempted to come over... I've never Ski N/America or Canada, and in my heart of hearts that's still what I'd like to do. I might be able to get free accommodation for a couple weeks in Whistler which would be cool, and I guess I could bus around.

I looked at the mountain collective pass (or something?!) Liftopia do which looked epic, but two days in each resort didn't seem like enough - I'll see what the deal is with CO Smile
ski holidays
With 8 weeks the 12hr flights to/from Japan become less of a chore/percentage of your holiday...
ski holidays
Quote:

Hadn't thought about half term as an issue, again good point - maybe that week I can head down to one of the cities

If you're going to France there are four weeks to avoid, which include the British half term. Roughly mid Feb to mid March but it varies a little each year depending on where the Saturdays fall.
snow conditions
Even very basic accommodation in France will be expensive for that four weeks - most prices double or treble.
ski holidays
Japan would be so epic....

It's looking like Chamonix will be the best option, I've just found out they have a co-working space that's just launched (http://www.theskilocker.com/ if anyone is interested) - so could even make it longer than 8 weeks if all went to plan...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Did a month around the Tahoe area and loved it. Really need a car though buses did go from South Tahoe to a few areas. Did about 8 areas in all.
Accommodation was cheap due to the competition and casinos.

Trouble with the states is no area pass like the Tyrol or Salzburger or Dolomites and lift tickets are expensive and usually charged at a flat rate. Ski hire also very expensive. Individual areas are not that big either so just getting a pass for one area not really an option.

Here's an interesting pass I just found.

http://www.snow.com/epic-pass/passes/epic-pass.aspx

Season pass for 3 resorts around Tahoe, 5 in Colorado, and Park City.

Fly to SF. Drive to Tahoe and 3 weeks there. Drive to Colorado for 5 weeks there calling at Park City on the way. Fly back from Denver.

Might be doable by train as well. The Zephyr goes SF, Truckee (north Lake Tahoe), Salt Lake City, Denver.
latest report
I do think you over play this 'February apocalypse' @pam w, I've never experienced the horrors you describe and quite often see good last minute deals in February (although I agree with you on UK half term).
snow conditions
@Dunny#1, yep, I was going to mention the Ski Locker to you - a friend of mine set it up, and there's a decent group of people in there.

If you have any specific questions re. Chamonix I'm happy to help where I can.

Whatever you decide to do - keep us informed and write a review! I'm very interested in doing several of the options myself - an extended time in Austria; a longer trip around US reports; and a series of lastminute holidays across the Alps!

@Maireadoconnor, sorry, and I know! I'm very jealous @Dunny#1 can get planning all this now - I've no idea yet if I'll have to work, or be able to afford much skiing yet this winter Confused Puzzled
snow conditions
@Snowheads68 - That epic pass looks really cool! That's the problem with the USA looking at it, cars required Sad
@Nadenoodlee - I'm hoping it won't be an issue, if it's a longer term rent then it shouldn't be a big issue Smile
@Fixx - Ah awesome! Contacted them yesterday, sounds pretty darn awesome - Chamonix now looks like by far and away the best place to go with that place. That's awesome, I'm sure I will... appreciated! Ah for sure, it's one of those things I'd never really thought about - then I thought screw it, lets quit my day job and see how it goes Smile Thinking of doing Jan-March now though - which probably makes a bit of difference with accommodation.
latest report
@Nadenoodlee, rents round my way are 2 - 3 times higher in the French school hols. But that's a very French area. I guess areas with lots of British visitors, like the PDS probably have more visitors and therefore higher rents in low season. An apartment like mine is 1150 in school hols but 500 or less before or after. The contrast is stark
Lift queues one week. Not a trace the next. Free spaces for parking right by the lifts one week, distant car parks full by 0930 the next. I don't understand the French attitude to holidays but it suits me. I dislike lift queues.
snow report
On the other hand, British half term makes no difference.
snow conditions
Dunny#1 wrote:
@Snowheads68 - That epic pass looks really cool! That's the problem with the USA looking at it, cars required Sad

Not all.

Tahoe area is notoriously poor in public transportation, because the skiing in that region is very much dominated by locals (San Francisco actually). Also, the ski areas are quite far apart.

The Colorado areas are very different. There're local FREE buses. Even the locals use the bus rather than drive their own car.

You can also split your time between Colorado and Utah. The 2 Vail-owned resort in Utah are right next to each other and has a short bus link.

That said, the main difference between America and Europe is off-piste. The difference between Japan and the rest of the world is the powder. Decide what your priority is, then figure out how to maximize your money to make it work.

Now that I've laid it out clearly for all to see, I got a chance to take a good look at my own very sound logic. I think I'll change where *I* would go if I had that much time: I'd go to Japan!
snow report
Quote:

The problem with going for a couple of months is that you are not going for long enough to become a ‘proper’ seasonaire and enjoy the advantages of shared seasonnaire accommodation cheap lift passes and all the camaraderie that goes with it

and

Quote:

So he spent a whole season out there for well under £5k without doing very much work.

When I did my seasons, part of the fun for me was being a seasonaire. Met a great bunch of people, many of whom are good friends even after, well, rather longer than I'd like to think about!
ski holidays
abc wrote:
Dunny#1 wrote:

Not all.

Tahoe area is notoriously poor in public transportation, because the skiing in that region is very much dominated by locals (San Francisco actually). Also, the ski areas are quite far apart.

The Colorado areas are very different. There're local FREE buses. Even the locals use the bus rather than drive their own car.

You can also split your time between Colorado and Utah. The 2 Vail-owned resort in Utah are right next to each other and has a short bus link.

That said, the main difference between America and Europe is off-piste. The difference between Japan and the rest of the world is the powder. Decide what your priority is, then figure out how to maximize your money to make it work.

Now that I've laid it out clearly for all to see, I got a chance to take a good look at my own very sound logic. I think I'll change where *I* would go if I had that much time: I'd go to Japan!

Japan would be so insane... so epic, but I feel like I'd struggle on my own, especially because I'm not great in powder.. yet NehNeh

I reckon a short season on £5K is totally do-able in the right place...

If anyone has space in Chamonix for Jan-March/April, PM me Wink Can pay in pennies, or digital marketing knowledge Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

I feel like I'd struggle on my own, especially because I'm not great in powder.. yet

I don't know if anyone had mentioned it already. One of the big potential when you have a large block of time is to get into some form of lesson plan. So, instead of learning some skill and then forgetting it by the next season, you get to practice, improve, and then practice and improve at the next level.

If you found you finish your mini-season and still more or less the same level of skier, you have not use your time well.

So, a good lesson option should also factor into your planning.
ski holidays
@Scarpa May I ask which season pass you mentioned ? Thx a lot !!!

I only google out this one, EUR 737:
http://www.snowcard.tirol.at/

I will go to Ischgl, Serfaus, Solden, each resort for one week, looking for some good deal of ski pass.
ski holidays
@wowmac, Scarpa uses the Salzburgerland Super Ski Pass which actually covers not only Salzburgerland but also some Tirol and Steirmark resorts. Check the applicability of the Tirol Card for Ischgl as it was not always included (I've bought it twice, first time it wasn't included second time it was).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy