Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 15/16 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Sure, but bit stunned you have chosen to deliberately quote me out me out of context? Not sure why.

Maybe this from Tuesday...

"Latest GFS is suggesting a relatively high freezing level on Sunday"
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
4100m on monday, thankfully not for long Shocked
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nozawaonsen wrote:
Sure, but bit stunned you have chosen to deliberately quote me out me out of context? Not sure why.

Sorry you've lost me there. I was quoting the SLF forecast that you posted which says rain to 2000 meters.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Little Martin, around 3,800 to 4,000 is showing on a few models for many French / Italian resorts on Monday for a brief period.

Don't think that's the issue as opposed to the winds. Though if you look at winds in resort at say 1,556 (Tignes) 15km and then at altitude 45km although I see both wind speeds and snowfall for Sat/Sun have fallen back.

What is quite bizarre are the predicted snow levels for Chamonix vs neighbouring resorts such as Les Saises / Carroz - think Cham tourist board have been throwing a few backhanders out to some forecast sites Toofy Grin

Way way too far off, but currently a bit of a "retour Est" for the Queyras on the cards for weekend after next ?

And Alpes Maritimes and Southern Alps seeing more than a dribble ?

Watch that all change as we get nearer!

Off to find some more spring snow later this morning, though high wispy cloud could be a factor, though with cloud temps did not drop too much overnight.

Not bothering with CAF tour that was proposed for Sunday, and when I said to the "leader" last night "what about the rain" he just did a classic Gallic shrug, mind you I don't think anyone else signed up for it instead opting for the "sortie cool" tomorrow as well as building a shelter ("exercice DVA, pelletage, comment établir un point chaud victime avec des skis,") with a washing line, could be useful for Sunday rolling eyes

@nozawaonsen, and thought that was my prerogative to quote you (supposedly) out of context = that's a joke / banter Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chamonix meteo sees P/N limit at 1500 rising to 2000m Sunday. Seems reasonable. My only decision now is which day next week to drive home to UK. Need a dry day. Meanwhile today and tomorrow look good for seeing something of the dog sled race based in this area for a couple of days. The last few weeks have been terrific. Great snow and plenty of sun. Might turn out to have been the best weeks of the season.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
......have been the best weeks of the season.......

Maybe for you!

Though I agree has been a very good week for our friends, but they are not powder hounds / on an off piste course etc etc

That said the Spring snow we've skied off the back this week has been very good.

Anyway we still have all of February, March and April yet !!!

And UK weather sounds a tad windy - with the strongest winds in the North / Scotland but we could well see 50mph gusts on the South Coast.

This is a blatant link @nozawaonsen, to my weather station on the beach where weather data is uploaded every minute

Current Weather at : 8:40
Date 29/01/16
Wind WSW at 31.0 mph
5 min average top wind speed: 37.0
10 min average top wind speed: 37.0
Highest Gust past 24hrs: 38.0 at 7:06
Wind Chill: 4.4 °C
Pressure: 1020.5 Falling Slowly
Temperature: 10.0 °C
Sunrise: 7:40
Sunset: 16:46

There is also a archive so you can see historical data / trend
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

@Weathercam, cham meteo, which is an individual quoting 40-60 at 2500m for Sunday. Weather Pro which is a machine and not subject to any tourist office pressure suggesting 44mm. FL will be the killer.
They both sound a lot but here's hoping.
The graph also strongly agreeing.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jbob wrote:
cham meteo, which is an individual quoting 40-60 at 2500m for Sunday. Weather Pro which is a machine and not subject to any tourist office pressure suggesting 44mm. FL will be the killer.

It does seem to be a sizeable storm blowing through and there should be quite a bit of snow > 2000 m. Lets hope the FL comes down a bit though. We've just had a whole week of FL > 2000m, night and day. For the Isere this FL is being given: iso 0°: 1900->2400m which would correspond to what Noz (and Pam) posted. If there is significant rain below 2000m it will kill a lot of the skiing around near me but could be a bonanza for the high resorts on Monday with a nice temperature inversion, cloud sea and tropical temperatures.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Interesting the latest GFS run seems to have accelerated the storm front ahead by 12 hours lessening the amount in the NW alpes for the 3rd.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 29-01-16 11:24; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
steiermark avi service suggest snow to 900m Sunday but rain to higher altitudes following on Monday.
http://www.lawine-steiermark.at/lagebericht/aktueller-lagebericht

The wet warm snow / rain will hopefully make a good consolidated base for what comes next.

GFS for Schladming looks promising from mid next week with cooling temps and precip. Hopefully other models will back that up.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MS_1447_ens.png
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@bruisedskier,? 06z still has the storm arriving Saturday evening. FL fluctuating with GFS less positive but ECM more positive I think over recent runs (switched). Still warming Sunday into Monday, so front arriving earlier would be better but don't see that in GFS 06z.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
More snow now for Kitzbuhel in the storm forecast on both snow forecast and bergfex (I know they use different models - one GFS and one ECM I assume). Or, rather, more snow at the top; snow at the bottom turning in to rain...

And a lot more snow at all levels Weds/Thursday
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jbob, most automated sites run figures from the GFS Hauptlauf (thick green line). It does appear to be the most optimistic of the outcomes in terms of precipitation by some significant margin. Fingers crossed.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@waynos, i will be watching with interest. we will now be 4, not 2 at half term Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Still looking good for most of the alps from around 4th onwards in FI based on 06z.
snow report
@davidof, where this at doe?
snow report
@Millom, My comment was really that 06z seems to have spread this out more, and wondered if this was the affect of Gertrude.

I was looking that the GFS 025 map diagram, as it was updating from 0 to 6, and I could see the front arriving earlier for the 3rd.
snow conditions
Morris reckons next mid week to weekend bring us cold and snow, watching with interest as this potentially coincides with a gap in my diary. Would that be midterm anywhere do people know?
latest report
Half term dates

http://www.resavalloire.com/InfoliveDocuments/vacances_scolaires_15-16.pdf
snow report
Snow arriving in the northern Alps on Saturday evening and clearing Austria around Monday lunchtime.

This is how WRF sees the accumulated snow by Monday lunctime. Some areas such as the Tarentaise and Arlberg look like they could get over 60cms locally.

Very strong winds in the west on Sunday and east on Monday.

Snowline rising from 1500m to around 2000m during the storm in the west and 1000m to 1800m in the east.

Further snowfall across the Alps though to much lower levels on Thursday and looks likely to be more snowfall next Sunday.

Winds look quite strong most of the week.
ski holidays
So just reading the last few pages it looks like snow this weekend for Les gets with the chance of high snow line and rain in resort and potentially lower slopes. Then come wed/thurs quite a lot of snow.

I am going out there early Tuesday morning until Friday night. So could a bit of a mixed bag.
latest report
Marcialonga in Italy, 70km of cross country trails on artificial snow cover

snow report
Lots of squiggles from 7th onwards. When can I start getting excited about this (we're out 7th-14th, northern alps)?
snow report
@davidof, that does look rather dispiriting. I think I'd rather go for a walk. Les Saisies has 120kms of Nordic pistes surrounded by masses of natural snow. So walking, except on raquettes, is impossible.
snow conditions
Hi - what are the prospects looking like for Dolomites ( corvara) over next 7-10 days.
ski holidays
Hi We are coming to the Borovets on the 6th Feb and like some other people I am a bit worried about the lack of snow before then. Will we still be able to ski?

The resort looks really good for nervous skiers like myself. I'm just hoping the snow will still be good then. I like a soft landing. We have never been here before and I hear the slopes are good for people like me. I hope to gain more confidence with skiing during this week. I think the instructors are going to need to have a lot of patience with me..

Jane
snow report
Spyglass wrote:
Hi - what are the prospects looking like for Dolomites ( corvara) over next 7-10 days.

This is how Bergfex have it...just a dusting on Sunday 31st with mild temps and a high snowline, so thankfully pistes won't be drenched with rain like is possible with lower areas in France & Austria...better prospects for up to 10-20 cm midweek, Wed-Thurs 3rd/4th Feb, down to low levels. It won't be a game-changer for off-piste, but should freshen things up nicely.

http://www.bergfex.com/alta-badia/wetter/prognose/

Further off into FI, week commencing 7th Feb is looking quite promising with cold temps and hints of potentially large snowfalls. These keep shifting around and may amount to nothing, but worth keeping an eye on.

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&lat=46.5&lon=11.9

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 29-01-16 17:46; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@bruisedskier, GFS 12z has front arriving on Wednesday morning (from the North) and departing in the East early Friday but then with a new front arriving from the North-West on Friday evening. The front at the weekend seems much as before (GFS 06z) perhaps with some small changes in temp and precipitation in some places. Looks like their should be some nice snowfall figures showing for 12z from 3rd+ so hopefully this will stick around over the next few days (I think it gone back and forwards on amounts but consistent for lower temps and some snowfall over this period in FI).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
12z GFS builds a Genoa low overnight on Thursday.

This would be interesting as it would mean snowfall on the southern side of the Alps (bringing fresh snow to the Dolomites).
latest report
noza, how do you know it would be the southern side of the alps, is it just because the warmer high pressure sits to the south of the low pressure off genoa?
snow report
@eddiethebus, no, the low pressure system develops very early on Thursday morning near Genoa (hence the name). It then tracks across northern Italy. This would potentially draw moisture up from the Mediterranean before it hits the southern Alps. That said as currently modelled the low pressure system heads down the Adriatic. Better for snow would be if it headed more towards the Alps as it moved (so more north than south).

The northern side of the Alps also gets snow next week. I was just flagging up the potential for the south since it's been rare so far this year.
snow report
GFS 12z FI seems great for anyone wanting snow, snow, and more snow in the Alps Smile. Maybe not so good if you're after sun. I'm hoping for snow all the way! I had my winter sunny holiday in December wink.
snow report
And moving onto next weekend more stormy weather driven from the NW with potential for good snowfall to low levels Saturday night into Sunday.

And in FI more snowfall midweek and another low pressure system in the Mediterranean.

snow conditions
nozawaonsen wrote:
And moving onto next weekend more stormy weather driven from the NW with potential for good snowfall to low levels Saturday night into Sunday.

Excellent, just what's wanted. They won't even show up in these numbers which look good by themselves.

Been some great skiing last couple of weeks but could do with some more snow now.

ski holidays
buchanan101 wrote:
Half term dates

http://www.resavalloire.com/InfoliveDocuments/vacances_scolaires_15-16.pdf

Superhandy Buchanan thanks
snow conditions
Current FL predictions for the Isere.

iso 0°: 2000 (Sunday am) -> 2600m (Sunday pm) -> 4200m (Monday)
latest report
^^^^^literally the grim reaper of this thread
ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:
@eddiethebus, no, the low pressure system develops very early on Thursday morning near Genoa (hence the name). It then tracks across northern Italy. This would potentially draw moisture up from the Mediterranean before it hits the southern Alps. That said as currently modelled the low pressure system heads down the Adriatic. Better for snow would be if it headed more towards the Alps as it moved (so more north than south)............

As I mentioned further up the page......

Weathercam wrote:

Way way too far off, but currently a bit of a "retour Est" for the Queyras on the cards for weekend after next ?

And Alpes Maritimes and Southern Alps seeing more than a dribble ?

Watch that all change as we get nearer!

As I often bang on about snow predictions can be so wrong, never taking into account local effects / topography.

Such is the case of the Retour d'Est which can see substantial snowfalls in a very small area.

I've been there and experienced it, going from one valley to another in the Queyras and snow depths going from 30cm to 130cm in 10kms.

The Retour d'Est is a recognised Meteorological phenomenon in France

And the Gulf of Genoa is mentioned
Ils se produisent lorsqu’une dépression se creuse sur le golfe de Gênes

And if you search on here there are a few threads about it http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2696611&highlight=retour#2696611

Like I say way to early to get too excited, but worth monitoring...........

Up early to hook up with the CAF for a ski tour, but conditions overnight not good from the looks of things, plus in my view, we're starting way too early as snow needs to transform.

Cracking day yesterday, Spring tour heaven (again), see Serre thread!
snow conditions
SLF forecast for Switzerland.

"Weather forecast through
Saturday, 30.1.2016

Following a night of predominantly clear skies it turned increasingly overcast during the course of the day. In the afternoon, snowfall set in from the west. The snowfall level is at approximately 1500 m.

Fresh snow

Only a few centimeters in the furthermost western regions.

Temperature

At midday at 2000 m, +2 °C in northern regions and -1 °C in southern regions.

Wind

Winds will be westerly to southwesterly, intensifying significantly in velocity during the course of the day:

On the northern flank of the Alps and in the western and northern parts of the Valais, winds as of midday will be blowing at strong to storm strength; in the Prealps this wind intensity will also extend down to intermediate altitudes.

In the southern part of Upper Valais, in Grisons and in Ticino, winds will not reach strong velocity at high altitudes until evening.

Outlook through Monday, 1.2.2016

Sunday

In northern regions snowfall is anticipated which will be intense and heavy. The snowfall level is expected to ascend from approximately 1500 m up to over 2000 m in western regions; and from approximately 1300 to 1800 m in eastern regions.

In the Valais, on the northern flank of the Alps and in northern Grisons, 30 to 60 cm of fresh fallen snow is expected. Winds will be westerly, blowing at storm velocity.

The danger of dry and wet avalanches will increase rapidly and significantly in northern regions.

Monday

Throughout Sunday night, the snowfall is expected to persist. During the daytime on Monday, it will swiftly become sunny and very warm from the west.The avalanche situation is expected to remain treacherous."
snow conditions
Not so hopeful for Kitz now; the snow that will be washed away tomorrow does not now look like being replenished much midweek, and temps midweek are higher than before too... Maybe next weekend will do the trick...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy