Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 15/16 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
18z continues the 12z GFS theme of a more unsettled look to next next week with potential for snow on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday in the northern Alps.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
northern Sad
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nozawaonsen wrote:
18z continues the 12z GFS theme of a more unsettled look to next next week with potential for snow on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday in the northern Alps.

Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Looks like WDC could get 1-3 feet this weekend and get close to all-time records set in the 1920s.

E
Just imagine if that were london rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nozawaonsen wrote:

Thanks a lot for your replies @nozawaonsen . For the region I had posted earlier (Saanen) the outlook seems a bit confusing now as you stated. Meteociel has already given up on the prospect of snow, Bergfex is running behind schedule and Snowforecast has reverted to rain for the lower altitudes. Depressing Sad
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Anyone got anything to add for Borovets? The snow forecast for next week has changed significantly every day, going from 16cm of snow to bright sunshine and 7 degrees c!? Looks like it's set to warm up there and I'm concerned!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Peter S, in fairness they are taking pretty extreme measures in Washington, pretty much shutting down the place in advance. The Metro is being shut down for the entire weekend as a precaution. Amtrak and the airports are warning they could well close. There are warnings for power cuts and possible roof collapses.

Washington does at least have some experience with heavy snowfall so plans are in place. But you are right a city like London or Paris much bigger and not used to extreme snow and blizzards would probably be chaos.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2016/01/21/model-live-blog-zeroing-in-as-storm-that-will-become-blizzard-develops-over-the-south/

"PACTS...HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW WILL CAUSE DANGEROUS CONDITIONS AND WILL BE A THREAT TO LIFE AND PROPERTY. TRAVEL IS EXPECTED TO BE SEVERELY LIMITED IF NOT IMPOSSIBLE DURING THE HEIGHT OF THE STORM FRIDAY NIGHT AND SATURDAY. VISIBILITY WILL BE REDUCED TO NEAR ZERO AT TIMES IN WHITEOUT CONDITIONS."

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=DCZ001&warncounty=DCC001&firewxzone=DCZ001&local_place1=Washington%20DC&product1=Blizzard+Warning&lat=38.895&lon=-77.0373#.VqHl7-zfXCR
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Odysseus, you are looking at different sites drawing on the same information updating at different times. This will add to your confusion.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks again @nozawaonsen, that is one issue I wanted to ask. Bergfex take their feed from ZAMG who "claim to" run their own forecast on the raw GFS data, and snowforecast.com claim that they also run their own "snow" models on the GFS data. Meteociel uses GFS as is, for all I know. I gather these statements are not fully true ? (Might be elementary 101 questions, sorry about that)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Odysseus, I don't know why they wouldn't be true? Meteociel shows a range of different models (GFS, ECM, UKMO, JMA, GEM etc) as the day comes out. Snowforecast (and most internet forecasts) use GFS as their raw data. They tweak it before it comes out about three hours later. I'd not seen that ZAMG used GFS. ZAMG is the Austrian national weather service. They are part of ECM. Bergfex is a company which uses ZAMG.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@nozawaonsen, Thanks a lot for the explanation! Obviously my mistake about ZAMG using GFS. All the best.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@nozawaonsen, loada SHs travelling to the Dolomites today and tomorrow. Any last minute thoughts for us?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Weathercam, as i see it, this thread is for most people to enjoy, learn from and (if they've got the technical understanding, which sadly I don't) engage with @nozawaonsen as he uses his incredible knowledge and expertise,not to mention modesty and humour, to roam around the world. It is not for others to give wordy reports on their own resorts or to describe, at length, their own exploits. There are other threads on which this can be done. I, for one, would be grateful if you could confine your essays to the Serre Chevalier thread.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Hurtle, if you bothered to look the high Iso is for many resorts in France, ADH for instance 3200, Courchevel 3250 and even Tignes !!

And I see that Arabba (Italy) hits 3000 !

So it's not just about here but relevant to many, hence my post!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hurtle wrote:
@Weathercam, as i see it, this thread is for most people to enjoy, learn from and (if they've got the technical understanding, which sadly I don't) engage with @nozawaonsen as he uses his incredible knowledge and expertise,not to mention modesty and humour, to roam around the world. It is not for others to give wordy reports on their own resorts or to describe, at length, their own exploits. There are other threads on which this can be done. I, for one, would be grateful if you could confine your essays to the Serre Chevalier thread.

Hurtle , what's your problem ; Weathercam has posted info relevant to weather and snow conditions . It is very useful to get some local weather observations from Weathercam and others
latest report
@dublin2,
Quote:

It is very useful to get some local weather observations from Weathercam and others

I agree and think you miss my point. As in most things, it's a question of balance.
ski holidays
@Weathercam, yep it's definitely looking warm across the Alps next week. The eastern end holds onto the cold a little longer, but by Monday Austria is warming up and by Wednesday Bulgaria.

And that's solid advice about figuring out which slopes face the sun and heading there first. That'll become more important as the season moves on and into spring.
snow conditions
Oh no @nozwaonsen! What will this mean for those of us going to Bulgaria week commencing 1st Feb? :/ really worried about the skiing quality.
ski holidays
@Seabass90, it should be pleasant. Borovets has has enough snow to cope with a spell of mild weather.
latest report
I mentioned Tristan Gooley and his Natural Navigator work a while back

http://www.naturalnavigator.com

Although far from being Alpine or snow specific there is plenty that is interesting and relevant in what he writes. It's fascinating when you spend time in the mountains to see how the weather shapes the landscape and also how the landscape shapes local weather conditions.

As @Weathercam, points out above the aspect of the slope makes a huge difference as things start to warm up even on piste (and knowing that will help you take advantage of it). As well as for example knowing which areas stay in shadow longer and which are exposed to wind or are on the leeward side. Of course all these things count for much more off piste both in terms of finding quality snow and being safe, but it's fascinating even if you never stray from the piste even more as the seasons shift. And spending time in one place and getting to observe those changes is a real pleasure. Both @Weathercam and @Davidof have been posting some really great photos recently showing examples of all sorts of local effects (inversions, high level winds stripping off snow against a blue sky). Although of course they are specific to where they are they are relevant to wherever you are in the mountains.

In terms of other resources I found Petit Manuel de Meteo de Montagne by Jean-Jacques Thillet a good intro (albeit in French).
snow conditions
nozawaonsen wrote:

As Weathercam, points out above the aspect of the slope makes a huge difference as things start to warm up even on piste (and knowing that will help you take advantage of it).

...and one of the advantages of going back to a resort you know!
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
@nozawaonsen, loada SHs travelling to the Dolomites today and tomorrow. Any last minute thoughts for us?

Pack shades and sun cream. Should be lovely.
latest report
@nozawaonsen, thanks
snow report
@nozawaonsen, Current runs (Trentino) seem to show very little variation in temperature next week between day and night, the "saw tooth" temperature profile is flattened out. There are low winds and mostly clear skies under a high pressure, I though that that usually led to more variation in temperature. What is holding up the night time temperatures?

I am looking at Wetterzentral graph for 46N 11E

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 22-01-16 13:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Col the Yeti, you can still see it here.

Looks like a little high level cloud about.
ski holidays
BBC "rest of winter" saying could be good for the Alps. A good watch,. covers, El Nino, NAO, and the Stratosphere!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/35375096
snow report
Thanks, a little bit of cloud goes a long way obviously
snow report
@kitenski, Please be true snowHead Bored of high pressure being sat over SW Europe - All of December and now another spell.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kitenski, Please be true snowHead Bored of high pressure being sat over SW Europe - All of December and now another spell.
snow report
snow report
@kitenski, Thanks for that.
ski holidays
@Col the Yeti, still getting to freezing each night even at 760m. Swing of 10C between night and day time.
snow report
That sounds like you would expect in these conditions, the temp and precip graph from wetterzentrale however has minimal difference and night temps of 5C at 850mbar. Do they smooth out the data compared with the meteogramm?
snow conditions
@Col the Yeti, I think it's more to do with the 850mbar being air temperature and the meteograms being ground (or rather T2m) temperature. But some one else may have a better idea.
ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:
Hurtle wrote:

Pack shades and sun cream. Should be lovely.

A few of the GFS runs recently - including the 00z one this morning - had quite a bit of ensemble support for snow on Friday/ Sat (29/30) I noticed. Bergfex was also predicting 5/10cm for Seiseralm on the Friday. More I guess for the Grödnertal. I see though that the 06z run seems to have knocked that in the head and Bergfex has binned it too. I wonder if this will return though
ski holidays
pjd wrote:
I wonder if this will return though

12z flatlines. all hope lost. Shocked
latest report
Odysseus wrote:

I know the feeling. I've been hoping for good snow news for Jasna, Slovakia, where I'm going on Feb 7. The decent dumps which have been falling in the Alps haven't been falling there and the conditions aren't looking at all favourable for what is supposed to be an off-piste tuition holiday. Over the last couple of days there has been a suggestion of a reasonable amount of snow falling on 29-30 Jan, which got my hopes up, but now 12z is showing rising temperatures and no snow instead Crying or Very sad . I know that it could easily swing back the other way, though.

Nozawaonsen, you obviously know an awful lot about this weather stuff, but at the moment it's all just talk - I'd like to see you do something about it instead Smile.
snow conditions
Our Maire has a good friend in Meteo France who is confirming the trend for warmer weather until probably around the first week of February. Our fingers and everything else are crossed that this spell does not extend further as it would be catastrophic for our local businesses.

Sad Sad Sad
snow report
Goddamnit.
latest report
Odysseus wrote:

Different runs during the day use different input parameters. I'm sorry, I can't remember what, but say 00z will include pressure and wind info from wave buoys, but maybe the later runs don't use this and 'assume' some input data. Each run therefore will have a slightly different slant. I used to think 00 & 06 were cause for optimism, 012 would take away, 18 would give a bit of hope back. Try watching and comparing the days runs with each other over say a week and you might see a bit of a pattern. Mind you I might be taking pants.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy