Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - is it for me

Poster: A snowHead
Have heard bits and bobs re Saalbach and thinking of it for next year (partly so friends can join us with direct flights/packages from Belfast).

Intermediate Boarder who likes Austrian villages and Apres. Have been to St Anton (loved it) , Mayrhofen (runs a bit short), Kitzbuhel (okay resort but not great for boarders). Tend to stick to groomers and powder by the side, never near the park. Like large Ski Areas such as 3 vallees and Espace Killy (accepting they are in France and Austrian areas not quite the same) and love St Anton style après (more KK than Moose).

Is Saalbach likely to tick my boxes? Plan is to go last week in January.

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ditto wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
short but sweet cheers
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Much better than St Anton imo
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll love it. Go!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@kb36, If you would like a copy of my comprehensive guide to Saalbach-Hinterglemm, covering everything you're likely to want to know, send me a message with your e-mail address.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
shorter runs but still incredible. such a good place, stayed in hinterglemm. Get to the goat shed, as good apres as the ronnie in Meribel
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Why have you bumped this topic???
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

shorter runs but still incredible

As it's been bumped, I was prompted by this comment to look at the piste map. Out of the 270 km of interlinked piste, there are at least 15 runs of between 4km and 8km. most notably the one from the top of Kohlmais down to Saalbach village (4.5 km - piste 52), the run from the summit of the Wildenkarkogel to Saalbach (7.5 km - pistes 65/66/52), the Viehhofen run (7.5 km - piste 68 ), the Jausern run (7 km - pistes 2a/2b), the Westabfahrt (5 km - piste 6), Rosswald (5.5 km - pistes 27/27a), Schattberg Nord black run (4km - piste 1), the one from the Wildenkarkogel to the Schoenleitenbahn bottom station (4.5 km - piste 61), and the blue run down to Leogang (4.5 km - pistes 87/53/90). Additionally you can ski for 30km or more around the valley without doing the same piste twice. Obviously it's all relative and depends what you're used to, your competence level, and to what extent you feel that length matters Little Angel , but there are to my mind plenty of options for long itineraries, and personally I haven't noticed that the runs are generally any shorter than anywhere else I've skied over the last 30+ years.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tatman's Tours it is something often trotted out as a disadvantage of skiing in Austria, along with the "too low for snow BS". I've skied many resorts in France and also do not noticed the difference! The so-called longest runs in Europe (read France) are rarely fully open, whereas runs like the Wild'n Gruben (at least 10km) are open most of every season due to the lower snow-line. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not a boarder but you'll love it, been there twice. We are giving St Anton a go for this time in January 2016
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not a boarder but you'll love it, been there twice. We are giving St Anton a go for this time in January 2016
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are looking at Saalbach for last week in Feb next year, really looking forward to checking out Austria as we haven't visited in winter before. Struggling to find any clear websites detailing German / Austrian school holiday dates - just wondering if the last week in Feb will be fairly quiet? (hopefully!)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@newrealm22,
Try this thread. There is a link for the Austrian holidays about half way down.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=117735

I'm in the Tirol from the 13th Feb for a week. It looks like it might be pretty quiet!
snow conditions
@newrealm22, this site has most of the major european countries scholl holidays listed: http://www.schulferien.org/
ski holidays
Quote:

I'm in the Tirol from the 13th Feb for a week. It looks like it might be pretty quiet!

Perhaps if you're not in a resort favoured by Danes, Swedes and Germans. Half of Denmark descends on Saalbach in weeks 7 (13th Feb) and 8 - the other half are in Wagrain. Week 6 is Fasching/Ash Wednesday week, so Bayern and Austrian schools will be on holiday. In weeks 8 & 9, Dutch and Swedish families take over places such as Hinterglemm. When looking at the School Holiday Overview http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=117735 it is these countries that you need to consider.
snow report
thanks for the advice. Week 8 (w/c 22nd Feb) looks fairly quiet - apart from the Danes descending.
snow conditions
Ja
ski holidays
Hi
I was thinking of booking a weekend away in Sallbach in January as a 'surprise' Christmas pressie for hubby.
Would anyone have any recommendations for accommodation for 3 nights for 7 - 10th Jan or possibly 14-17 Jan '16???
Just looking for clean, warm and a location fairly close to the lifts (and not too pricey!).
Any suggestions would be really appreciated
(sorry, dont mean to hijack the thread)
Thanks
latest report
Try Pension Norika for B&B, then eat out at Del Rossi, Kohlmaisstubn and Bächstadtstall.
latest report
...or Pension Grafleiten, next door to us and directly opposite the Kohlmais Lift Station.
latest report
Many thanks.

I will give them both a try.

Much appreciated Very Happy
snow report
is saalbach likely to be ok for snow early January (I know that's a daft question but am thinking has it been ok historically)
latest report
The short answer is "yes". Prior to last season, the piste conditions have, in our experience (and we generally arrive there in mid-December) usually been excellent in the week before Christmas, and onwards. The Saalbach ski season starts at the beginning of December, but obviously the first big dump can arrive any time in the late autumn or early winter - normally between mid-November and early December. Last year the snow arrived exceptionally late - Christmas Day in Saalbach, but the picture across most of the Alps was fairly general. However, as if to compensate, it was a very heavy dump, and the powder conditions in early January were absolutely sublime. The snow cannons will soon be operating, and the pistes will be white by the end of November; whether the off-piste areas are also white will depend on that unpredictable first dump.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy