Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eddie the Eagle to hit the screens

Poster: A snowHead
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
Not seen it but not surprised to hear that there are a few anachronistic errors and stretching of the truth, it's always the same when a film is made about a 'niche' sport, particularly when it's based on a true story. The Hunt/Lauda film was like that, as was the Brian Clough film.

I read somewhere (might have been on sH, was almost certainly a link I followed from sH) that the jumpers shown are in the V style which wasn't used at the time, the trouble being that they couldn't find anyone to do the film that could still jump the old way.

The V style was first started in 1985 by Jan Bokloev. So a significant number were probably using it by 1988, in the Calgary Olympics. By 1992, 4 years later, it was the norm, with all the top jumpers using it.

If it showed the winners using it in 1988, that was probably wrong though.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Watched it last night and loved it!!

To be fair, if you watch Eddie's actual jump from 1988 it is hard to tell what he intended to do with his skis - straight or in a V!!

http://youtube.com/v/A7MmJIy0bjo
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Taking my family tonight (£14 for 4 of us - beat that!) to get us in the mood for our ski hol next week.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The man himself said "only one jumper used the V back then, if I did it was more by accident!"
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Went to see it at the weekend and loved it. Would highly recommend it to anyone, took the story as a hope its true enough and with that it was great. Couple of bits made my 13yo son blush but other than that it was great.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Apparently Bracknell ski slope wasn't around back in the day. In the film I heard the dry slope Eddie learned to ski on referred to as 'Drummond'.

Having looked up the producer of the film, Matthew Vaughn, I think this is why.........

Vaughn was born in London. He had thought that he was the child of an affair between his mother, Kathy Ceaton (died 20 July 2013), and American actor Robert Vaughn. A paternity investigation[3] subsequently identified his father as George Albert Harley de Vere Drummond,[4][5] an English aristocrat who is a godson of King George VI.

Early in Vaughn's life, before the paternity investigation, Robert Vaughn asked for the child's surname to be Vaughn, and it continues today as Vaughn's professional name, though he now uses de Vere Drummond in his personal life.[6]
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's a good family film - we all enjoyed it, particularly my 6 year old!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Saw it last night, really enjoyed it Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cinsha wrote:
Apparently Bracknell ski slope wasn't around back in the day.

The dry ski slope opened for business in 1985 but not sure why that's relevant as Eddie learnt to ski in Gloucester?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@tarrantd,
It's relevant because two people mention it on page 1 of this thread in response to a poster asking where it was filmed!! Though I stand corrected on the fact that it was open back in the day.
I'm well aware that E learned to ski at Robinswood Hill/aka Matson/Gloucester ski slope.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Cinsha, @tarrantd, he started skiing at Matson sometime around 1976 as he was a part of my beginner group during my ASSI training. Alan Hole was the manager back then and my trainer. Eddie also skied for Gloucester Ski Club in the Summer league for a long time. He set himself the goal of skiing in the Olympics really early. We would hear him running up the slope multiple times in the dark with his boots on carrying his skis back to the top just to ski down again in the dark.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Samerberg Sue, Alan Hole as manager and ASSI training...those were the days (I worked weekends at Matson from around 1975 to 1977). According to the man himself, Eddie's first ski experience was on a school trip to Andalo in Italy. Then he started going to Gloucester every weekend. I recall interviewing him for the Gloucestershire Echo newspaper in 1978 or 1979 when he'd won English schools or south-west titles. I was struck by his single-minded determination even then... Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Alan was my first ever ski instructor.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@LOTA, @altis, could be our paths crossed then! I know Eddie had a school trip first where he was bitten by the bug. I used to drive up from my school in Bristol for training and club nights. I was ther for Eddie's first summer league race as well. He worked damned hard to become a fairly tidy racer
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What a lovely film. I enjoyed that.

The British Olympic Association doesn't come out of it well Laughing
snow conditions
We went it see it on Saturday night,
a really good fun film and much better than i thought it would be. Definitely worth a watch.

Certainly got me in the mood for a long weekend in Tignes next week Very Happy

Don't worry about any inaccuracies, it was never meant to be historically correct.
After all it is only Based On the story of Eddie
snow report
off to see it tonight with the OH, whilst I appreciate that the facts may be exaggerated our son saw it last week in Glasgow & recommended it, if nothing else for the entertainment. Smile

On a serious note though, respect to Eddie, he's got bigger balls than I have!
snow report
Saw last night, we enjoyed it. Good family fun.
Eddie is of course the most famous skier ever ...
And he's going to be even better remembered now .. God Bless him and all underdogs.
Who else's name can you remember?
Killy ...
latest report
I had a chat with the great man himself recently as he was supporting a Ski for Cancer charity event in Sallbach. He's still an entertaining chap Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Just been to see it & I loved it. Very Happy
ski holidays
The film has been critically well received. Very good rating on IMDB.

But a bit of a box-office flop. Hardly covered costs and may even have lost money.
ski holidays
Quote:

But a bit of a box-office flop. Hardly covered costs and may even have lost money.

Not at all, it's doing great in the box office
snow report
Peter S wrote:
What a lovely film. I enjoyed that.

The British Olympic Association doesn't come out of it well Laughing

You should see how the Algerian Olympic Ski Federation comes out in the film "Good Luck, Algeria".
snow report
@DrLawn, Now your just going to make Mr Bell even more jealous with comments like that Laughing
ski holidays
I am looking forward to watch this movie. I was race training in Disentis circa 1984 and Mr Edwards turned up in an old beat up VW combi van that he lived in. He was a competant racer but not great. But he was a fun guy and trained hard!
Also, he set his goals and got to the Olympics. Fair play.
snow report
Looked at taking my 10 and 7 daughters to this today, but it's rated 12 here and the only showings seemed to be 10 at night Sad
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
The film has been critically well received. Very good rating on IMDB.

Why do you persist in making stupid statements which are easily shown to be false?

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/apr/05/eddie-the-eagle-uk-box-office-batman-v-superman-zack-snyder-zootropolis

It has already covered costs, and will still be on general release for a few weeks, and will of course also get revenue from TV and DVD sales.
snow report
I saw this last night. A fun feel good movie, shame there are a few mistakes and the British Olympic committee do not come out of it very well.

Hugh Jackman... Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@queen bodecia is it true your namesake is buried under King Cross station somewhere?

@chocksaway, ah Mr Bell .... his friends call him "Toni!" ....
(That's what a mate of mine said to the police when they stopped us in an ice cream van on the way to Clacton one very late
night in the 60's .. they wanted to know who the van belonged to.)

Yes there are lots of great skiers out there who nobody has ever heard of.
ski holidays
@DrLawn, no idea but since they recently found the remains of Richard III under a car park in Leicester I guess anything's possible!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy