Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Convince me I don't need new skis!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm off to Les Arcs in about 4 weeks and today whipped out my ~8 year old ski's to have a look at them with the intention of getting them serviced before I go. I've managed to get it in my head that they're a little beat up and I could do with some new ones (oops).

They're a pair of HighSociety FR ski's I managed to get ex-demo cheap several years ago, and have seen about 7 weeks on snow with me. The bases are in decent nick, but the tops and sidewalls are pretty rough around the edges with a few gouges in them.

I do about 80:20 Piste/Off piste at the moment, depending on the group I'm with so I'd probably be looking for an 'all mountain' type ski. Worth it do you think? My bindings (Vist 614) seem in descent condition, so could I re-use these on another set?

Cheers snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Your Vist's are bomber & are very re-usable - and would go great on something like a Whitedot Preacher/Ranger/Director or a Blizzard Brahma/Bonafide/Cochise etc.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
One always needs new skis.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Scottland, unless you are a fashionista, I would have thought that the state of the bases and the edges were of rather more importance than the top and sides.

Admit it - you are just looking for some support for your inclination to get some new skis !
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Do it. I got completely unnecessary Black Crow Orbs start of the season and had a daft grin on my face every day I've used them.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Here you go...... You definitely need new skis Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
and think what a warm glow it will give you, thinking that you re-used those good bindings!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No, no, no you're supposed to talk me out of it Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scottland wrote:
No, no, no you're supposed to talk me out of it Very Happy

You really have come to the wrong place for that... I have the same dilemma every time I go away....
snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Even my Mrs got new Black crows this year. No chance of us talking you out of it, sorry.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What length are those HSFR?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Mosha Marc, 171
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I bought three new pairs this season, im no help to you im afraid Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No one needs new skis, but if you want them and can afford them, what's the issue?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Scottland, they're about 90mm underfoot; they are all mountain Cool
ski holidays
82 actually! Dont get me wrong, nothing wrong with them, just want something new/shiny I think Razz
ski holidays
Ok why not compromise use the skis you have for this holiday and after the season ends buy new skis and bindings for what you probably would pay for just the skis now. You then have your old skis for if conditions are not that good.

There talked you out of getting new skis now....... you never mentioned later though snowHead
snow report
I bought a set of salomon all mountain ones online from Sport Conrad in Germany. Half the price they would have been here and only 15 euros to send them, arrived in about 3 days.
snow report
Your skis are fine. Rental skis doing 12-15 weeks a season and being hammered on the slopes and in the workshop last 2-3 years at least. If you want a different type of ski say for off piste then jump in.
snow conditions
@Scottland, just think about when some annoying inconsiderate person gouges a nice scratch in to your new top sheets getting off the first chair. Mad

Saying that i'm in the same situation as you, but i'll think i'll keep the old ones going till I can wangle some for ski time.
If you are going to change, try the Whitedot Rangers, there the ones I'm looking at.
latest report
Too many options to consider wrt new ones. I might try and demo some when away and then pick them up in the August sales instead! Neh Neh
ski holidays
When you want new skis never ask! i mentioned to swmbo last week that i fancied some new skis and she gave me that look and asked "do you NEED new skis?"

Guess what, i didn't buy new skis!!!

Ask for forgiveness, not permission
snow conditions
skribble wrote:
When you want new skis never ask! i mentioned to swmbo last week that i fancied some new skis and she gave me that look and asked "do you NEED new skis?"

Guess what, i didn't buy new skis!!!

Ask for forgiveness, not permission

haha this is so true!
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
One always needs new skis.

This.

Having refrained from buying skis for 5 years I accidentally bought some last month that were too good a deal to pass up. Nearly bought an old Nitro snowboard in the charity shop today to see what it was like.
latest report
Do you really need new skis? Well that all depends, take me for example, very happy with my old skis until mrs gix bought me a nice new jacket, of course I couldn't be seen out in a bright orange jacket with blue skis now could I? So now I've just bought some lovely orange skis to match the jacket!
latest report
@Scottland, Oh come on, you know you need new skis. wink
latest report
@gixxerniknik, I've got the opposite problem, got nice new blue skis and obviously need a nice new blue jacket to match them. Did see a nice Kjus jacket but the price did make my lower lip quiver. Uncontrollably. Sad
snow conditions
Mrs LM upgraded my jacket recently, that's black, my pants are black, and my ski's are black, so are my poles, and my helmet is black.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
irie wrote:
@gixxerniknik, I've got the opposite problem, got nice new blue skis and obviously need a nice new blue jacket to match them. Did see a nice Kjus jacket but the price did make my lower lip quiver. Uncontrollably. Sad

I bought a Kjus long sleeved top for £50 in a sale in Switzerland. Didn`t realise how expensive their stuff was till i checked when i got home. Really good quality but £1200 for a jacket Shocked
snow report
@irie, My new skis actually cost less than my new jacket! ( ok, so the skis came from snowheads whereas the jacket was brand new!)

Just booked for 7th March to go to Tignes and guess what? The ski carriage allowance is up to 18kgs...I can take both pairs, result! Very Happy

Of course you need new skis, if you need another reason I think ex demo skis are generally like ex hire skis, heavier than the equivalent ski produced for private purchase, as are the adjustable bindings that go with them.
ski holidays
Thought about newer skis, really like the scott reverse (well the look and reviews of any anyway) actually im quite proud my old gear on the snow and on the dry slope.
2006 aztec pros 10 year old cross raptor jacket and 7 year old bloc helmet, I recently broke a toggle clamp on my 10 yr old lange boots... so in for repair and bought some new head edge 100 perfect fit boots..things have really moved on in development... and a new helmet. Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy