Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whitdot One for Touring?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone used the One for touring? I would be very interested in experiences
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Never used the one to tour but had a pair for a couple of years.
While I enjoyed them on piste I felt the tips deflected too much while off piste in anything but the most perfect powder day.
Im a huge fan of whitedot and have a very well loved pair of Preachers and a newer set of redeemers both of which I'd argue are the best ski's you could have on their respective good days. The ones just didn't cut it for me. If I were more park and piste focussed they may have.
If I were looking for a tourer in the whitedot range then the Ranger or either of the above two would fit the bill depending on your preference.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ranger CL
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@fastandicy, I've got and love the Preachers, I have skins for them too. I'm looking for a second thinner pair of skis for hard snow/icy days and hopefully more manageable for touring too. The Rangers look great for touring but maybe not for conditions when the Preachers cease to be fun.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@On the rocks,
I used to have some Preachers and now have some Ranger CLs, though not managed to go touring on them yet (see the PNW snow conditions thread!).
They are very different and I much prefer the Ranger CL for just about everything and imho a more predictable performer especially off-piste - but do agree that it would still be nice to have something smaller for the hard/icy snow days.
I also have Redeemer Carbonlites which I was out on last week in a slushy/super heavy pow combo day. Though I like the Ranger CLs and they are my ski of choice for tomorrow , the Redeemer CLs are noticeably really outstanding (but probably wouldn't have them as touring skis!)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@On the rocks, I've sold a good number of One's to guys who are touring on them. Most of 'em have been to give a narrower/harder snow option to guys who usually run a wider more soft snow orientated ski - exactly like your requirement. And most of 'em have been mounted with QK inserts to share their bindings. The One is pretty light for it's performance hence there was no real benefit in Whitedot producing a CarbonLite version of it. The One is also superb value for money as many of it's competitors have a pretty crap construction to get the weight down.

There's a new 98mm underfoot version of the Ranger coming for 15/16 & hopefully we'll have a demo ski(s) available at the EoSB. I haven't skied it yet but it'll be a real winner if performs even close to the current Ranger.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@spyderjon, Thank's that's really encouraging. One reason I'm drawn to the Ones is their traditional camber; I like and am used to the pop on the Preachers but couldn't get on with the tip rockers on a demo of Dynastar Cham 89s. I will try and demo a pair of One's when back in Cham first week in April, then decide whether to share my M10s with the Preachers using quiver killers or to transfer the Fritshi Eagles from my old Scott Missions
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've been on the new R.98's recently, the specs are literally a scaled down R.108 and we're working on finalising the flex for both Trad and CL3 versions, they're very strong on hardpack and mixed conditions.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have some One's. I've noticed that offpiste in nasty chewed up and refrozen snow, they just barge through it and spit out the remains behind me Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
the_doc wrote:
I've been on the new R.98's recently, the specs are literally a scaled down R.108 and we're working on finalising the flex for both Trad and CL3 versions, they're very strong on hardpack and mixed conditions.

And there was me thinking I wouldn't need to buy more new skis next year! rolling eyes wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Never say never!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've just tested some Whitedot One Park skis today (Echo Beach didn't have the standard One's available in 173 for me to test) This is exactly the ski I (and I suspect many others) have been looking for. We've all got our fatties (Preachers in my case) for the good days - but in the real world a ski that's better on icy pistes and icy backcountry days (icy exposed traverses on Preachers are not fun) ie 90 under feet and stiff enough to hold an edge and cut the crud but light enough to tour and less effort to throw around in the bumps and a sensible radius to ease the stress in narrow spaces. Also a traditional camber for those of us that don't like the feel of tip rockers or full rockers.

I'm going to go for the slightly stiffer standard Ones over the Park Ones and get my Fritshi bindings mounted on them

Whitedot are missing a trick in not marketing this as an All Mountain Ski as much as a Park Ski (tricks are for kids anyway)

In fact to a version without twin tips, but a sensible nose and tail to better accommodate skins and call it the "One Mountain" Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

In fact to a version without twin tips, but a sensible nose and tail to better accommodate skins and call it the "One Mountain"

Ahh, that was the inspiration for our new R.98 Trad construction!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes Doc appreciate that but for me even the low fat version of the Rangers would still be too much of an overlap with what I would enjoy using the Preachers for. Keep up the great work 😄
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy