Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Help and Inspiration

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Having spent most of last night trawling through the equipment reviews and questions threads about new ski's I'm still looking for more ideas and inspiration for a ski to replace my 2011 Movement Jams which I always enjoyed skiing whether on or off piste.

I'm now looking for something a little wider but something that will still give me some enjoyment when on piste. I don't really feel the need to go above 100 in the waist because at 6 foot1 and 65kg I think something around 100 will give me plenty of float and a little more fun off piste.

Anything currently out there similar to the Jam but a little wider? I guess my shortlist at present looks a little something like this:

Nordica nrgy 100
Dynastar Cham 97
Volkl Bridge
Blizzard Bonafides
Armada TST

Any thoughts on the above or any additions to the list, could Black Crows Orb be a possibility? I am away again soon so will demo as many pairs as possible. Are there any ski's that should be 100% on my list to demo as a replacement for by beloved Jams?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Volkl is a twin-tip ski. If you're in to that, add the Atomic Ritual (103 mm) or Atomic Alibi (98 mm) to your list. I would think the Fischer Ranger 96 TI is great too, or the Motive 95, perhaps? You're a light guy, I think you would love the Ranger 96.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
big fan of the Atomic Alibi Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
A lot softer than the skis you've put up, but if you are into the twin tip thing ... I am very keen to get on the K2 Shreditor 92 when I finally see some snow.

Tipping into the 100's, the 102 version is reviewed in detail here: http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/2014-2015-k2-shreditor-102
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the replys, you're giving me more food for thought and more ski research to do before demoing which is no bad thing.

I can't really say I'm heavily into the twin tip thing and one place that I won't be when on the mountain is in the park. I will ski on piste and hit plenty of off piste too. Most of the time I ski reasonably aggressively but am partial to the odd lazy day here and there so guess I don't want something that has to be driven hard all the time. The more I've looked at reviews of the Volkl today I'd say they've been dropped from my demo list. I always found the Jams a pretty fun ski to be on but it's time to move on.........other ski's that have become possibilities today are the salomon rocker 2 and maybe the blizzard peacemaker will get a look in. I will check out all the atomic skis that have been mentioned tonight. Thanks alot.

Anybody skied the Armada ARV ti?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
left field suggestion: Whitedot Preacher, at 112 a fair bit wider then your criteria but actually great fun to carve on piste (unless it's VERY icy) due to tight radius and traditional camber with a lot of pop
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The preachers have great reviews but at present before demoing I'd be worried about the step up from an 85 waist to 112. I will demo a pair for sure. Thanks
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Want something playfull go for TST more serious stuff Mantra.Something between K2 Annex 98 or Cham 97.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've just picked up a pair of Armada Declivity's and should be getting them out tomorrow. They're 98mm under foot and should be a good all mountain daily driver, they certainly seem to get good reviews and they seem really good quality fro the quick fondle I've had. I post back with my thoughts when I've been out on them.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well I managed to get out for a few hours on the Declivity's and I'm impressed, it was just at the Lecht and there wasn't any soft snow but they handled hard pack well and are noticeably lighter than my Gotamas. I've got them mounted up with Marker tours and I think they're going to be my go to ski for most things, light enough for short tours and no apparent sacrifice on the down with good edge hold when I made the mistake of venturing onto some off piste that was way more wind scoured than it looked. The front rocker should be more than adequate for moderate fresh snow depth and I like the bigger turn radius so all in I'm pretty happy with them as a daily driver.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Declivitiys look like a great ski.

You should look at the Amplid range too, i just picked a pair up and i don't think i have ever held a ski that looks as well made.

Check out the Rockwells, a true all mountain ski.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm identical build to you and bought myself a pair of Line Sick Days 95 (186 length) this year had 6 days on them so far in various conditions on and off piste and i'm having great fun on them, hold more less as well as my old skis (84mm waist) on piste and much less grabby and more floaty in deeper snow. If you like to ski really aggressive there are probably better skis out there but at my weight I haven't felt limited on them. Definitely worth a look if you can.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for all the replies so far. I guess it's all going to come down to me trying skis in resort and I will post back what I demo and deiced to do.

@ozbozz123, recently while chatting to a friend they mentioned the line sick day 95 to me and it's a ski I'm going to look at.

@Robsaan, will look at Amplid ski's, just checked the rockwells out, look like what I'm after.

The demo list at present for me stands at Blizzard Bonafide, Dynastar Cham 97, Line sick day 95, Armada tst, Amplid rockwell and Armada arv ti. Then it's just going to come down to whether I prefer a more playful ski or something less so.

Thanks again
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And which of these skis you can actually find and demo in the resort. Where are you going?

Prepare to demo entirely different skis to find out which seperate feature you like or dislike (rocker, tip-shape, construction material, sidewall, amout of rocker, flex pattern etc.) In my experience, about 20% of any wish list is ever present at the demo stands (even less in regular shops). Especially the wider models (.e. > 80 mm). Only in real frreride-mided resorts such as Alagna, Tignes and Ischgl have I ever found a Bonafide or anything over 100 mm other than the Soul 7.

Still great fun though, demoing.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Cheizz, what you point out is always going to be a problem, what is available and where. I have a week in Saalbach and a few days in Chamonix, once there I'll know what I can and can't demo. I have a wish list and an open mind and will demo what I can. It'll be fun whatever and I should end up with new skis that I enjoy skiing. Thanks
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy