Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

can I carry two pairs of skis in one bag under my luggage allowance?

Poster: A snowHead
Travelling from Manchester with Esprit and flying with Monarch.

i have paid for ski carraige, allowance is 20kg.

I have two skis in one neat bag and it weighs just under 15kg.

I have heard from a couple of sources that folks are getting real hassle at airports saying they cant carry two sets of skis with one allowance?

Have been through the T&Cs on Monarchs website and cant see anything that defines one pair of skis just one bag and under 20kg??

Advice anyone please as I dont fancy worry/ hassle at airport.

Cheers

S
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Keep it under 20 kg and you won't have a problem snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@scotabroad,

PM me for a workaround
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Do it all the time, never had a problem.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We have a double hard case in which we put a board plus one set of skis and poles. It comes in as 18kg and we have never had a problem. As Dabber says, it is about weight. snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
and meant to say we have travelled from Gatwick and Manchester with Monarch with no problem. snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've currently got three pairs in a bag and it is weighing in at under 20kg. This is the same as last year when it was not questioned at all.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Very unusual to have the contents of a ski bag questioned, mine wasn't even weighed today returning from the BB. You could print off the terms and conditions and argue the toss at check in, but I doubt you will be challenged. snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Do it every trip, never had a problem .
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
15kgs is normal weight limit on european flights which means a burton 181 wheelie bag can still fit 2 pairs of skis in and be under the weight limit in my experience.
If you are close use quiver killers to reduce the weight.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If it is a charter the rules are set by the charterer not the airline so I would not go on what the Monarch website says. My Esprit confirmation states ONE PAIR (Their caps, not mine). However, last year I had 3 pairs in my bag, mine and 2 pairs of my sons. This year i decided not to take any chances and have booked 2 sets of ski carriage as we now have 2 bags. When i look at the cost of the holiday the extra £35 is negligible.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Never had a problem with monarch. Have seen some have problems when skis, boots and other gear is in ski bag though, but I suppose they were over weight.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Flew Monarch from Gatwick in December with three pairs of skis split between two ski bags, with helmets and clothing in them too and had no problem. I made sure we kept the weight under 20kg and they didn't even question what was in each bag.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sorry to adopt a potentially controversial stand, but..... is it any wonder the airlines implement stricter, and more expensive luggage t's & c's when people are apparently always trying to circumvent the rules ? Pay for a 'ski carriage' = get a 'ski carriage', not pay for a 'ski carriage' = can i get 2 'ski carriage' Puzzled
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Timberwolf, I thought I was buying it by weight, not per unit.
ski holidays
thecramps wrote:
@Timberwolf, I thought I was buying it by weight, not per unit.

Agree.

Unless you are a mono skier and you can get it for 1/2 price
snow report
@thecramps, as @Gaza, points out, sometimes you buy per unit. And, yes, you're also right - you buy a weight allowance - but the majority of comments here seem to be about trying to 'work around' the rules, and trying to get more than you're entitled to/have paid for
ski holidays
One thing that intrigues me is how often the scales at check in are calibrated? Next month I'm flying Easyjet and have paid for sports equipment up to 20kg which clearly states skis and boots without any specific mention of 1 pair so I assume 2 pairs of skis in one bag is OK. But only concern is that the sum of the official weights for my skis, poles, boots and bags is just over 19 kg. I don't really fancy an argument at checkin.
snow conditions
@Timberwolf, Ah, I see.
latest report
Easyjet are fine as it is about weight. The charter flights can count the skis in the bag as there terms are one set of skis for 15kg. I think this is just the charters getting extra cash
snow report
@Posidrive, I have always taken two pairs in one bag and just paid for one ski carriage never had an issue yet but I have always been under the allowance. My boots though are always in my main luggage as means less bags to carry.
snow report
We were charged for a second set of skis when we flew with two pairs in one bag on a charter flight a few years ago, which was truly frustrating as I'd queried the rules when I booked and was told that as I had one bag I only needed to pay once. The cost at the airport was more than a prepayment so I wasn't best pleased. Lesson learned, like @Gaza says, the extra £35 is negligible when considering the cost of the holiday! Though I guess by that logic so is the extra £60. Ignore me, I'm rambling!
snow report
I've often packed two pairs in one bag with Ski Total/Ski Esprit chartered Monarch flights without problem...rarely weighed, get tagged, then take them to Oversize Baggage for scanning and drop...the staff at check-in don't seem interested in enforcing any TO rules. The flight has been paid for, the TO obviously wants to maximise it's return by charging by the pair, but the airline/check-in staff don't seem to mind.
latest report
In line with some other SHs' replies - I have never gone to an airport with a ski bag without two pairs in it! Never had a prob - in my understanding it's the weight that's the prob if there is gonna be any bother........................Research the "rules" according to websites and be prepared to stand your ground if anyone from the airport / TO is flouting published standards.
snow conditions
@Posidrive, easyjet definitely allow you to have 2sets in your ski bag. Also they share the weight with other luggage so if you have a ski bag (20Kg) and luggage (20kg) then the total just has to be less than 40Kg. It can be 15Kg in the ski bag and 25 in the case if you like. the only rule is that you must have a set of skis in the ski bag. No idea why that is a rule, how many people would try to pack long thin luggage unless they had to?
ski holidays
Thanks folks - I have two sets in a neat bag and its well unde the 20kg limit so I am just going to go for it on the mass comment that is being made on here. Feedback in three weeks Very Happy
latest report
Quick feedback - I travelled with Monarch with Esprit. Two skis in one bag with poles about 16kg, they never asked and didnt look twice at the bag, no issues at all. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy