Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car hire in Italy

Poster: A snowHead
Last year I reserved a car in Italy. Much to my surprise, they wanted a 1,500 EUR deposit on my credit card. That coupled with the disputes I witnessed at rental counter of customers returning cars, made me think better of it. I ended up taking a taxi into town, across from the train station, and took a train up the next morning. The whole ordeal cost me a day of skiing, but likely saved me from much anguish.

So, here I am again, a year later. Transfers expensive, 300 EUR return likely for 3 people. Can rent a car for less, but trying to be proactive this time.

Have any of you pearls of wisdom with regard to online 3rd party rental companies, rental companies themselves whom seem to be dodgy. We are talking about half term, flying to Turin, and skiing Sauze D'oulz.

Sadly, my flight times do not at all coincide with smartly priced shared shuttle services. It's all a balancing act, flying KLM, low fee on taking ski's, but crap times, or a RyanAIr with cheap fare, high cost ski carriage. Either way you slice it or dice it, it is costing a lot of money, and I'm rather determined to be clever this time!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We are 5 of us going from Turin to sauze at half term.
I have hired a car - it cost £90 which is a huge saving on transfers for 5.

It is normal for car hire companies to put a charge on your credit card if you dont take their insurance. I rent cars twice a year and have never had a problem. I always go through the online rental comanies and choose the cheapest option (look for ON airport) Last time was at Rome airport for 2 weeks- no issues. Just make sure you check the car very carefully and make sure any damage is written down on the sheet. If you want to be safe you can take photos with the same days newspaper in shot!
You can buy separate car hire insurance very cheaply which will cover you if they put anything on your credit card.

Wave to us in Sauze! have a great time.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@nem,

Do you mind saying with car rental agency you are renting from? I think indeed to get extra private insurance. I rented one that presumably covers my excess, but I've been burned by that at the counter, and they still take a huge deposit. Specifically, we are going out Feb 20th, for 8 days of skiing.

Also, read horrible things about Firefly, Maggiore, even Hertz. My current reservation is with Budget.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I take out an annual insurance policy which covers excess on hire cars. It costs about £40 per year. That works out much cheaper than buying it from the car rental firm. but as nem says, the car hire firm will want to "block out" your credit card with the amount of the excess if you don't take out the excess insurance from them - just so thast they know they are covered.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Definitely avoid Firefly

Before you take car check v carefully for any non documented marks , scrapes

With any car hire co, allow time when you drop back, get staff to check car, and sign to say car is not damaged

Hertz in general, not bad to deal with
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ours is argus car hire. Its the third level of car. They are offering full excess cover for £5 per day but I think thats with a separate provider. They will still take a charge on your credit card if you dont buy their insurance at the desk. I think even taking their insurance would work out much cheaper than transfers for 5.

TBH I think people have been ripped off by all of them. My dad was stung by hertz last year- he ended up paying over £1000 for his car when mine cost £200.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The reservation I have now is Auto Europe - Budget, thought it was Hertz, but it is budget. I took the more expensive option which reimburses the excess charge, which means I still need to pay it up front? So confusing, and they seem to twist everything around once you are at the counter.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Firefly = Hertz. Same company, they shuffle stock between the two. Firefly is the really cheap brand.

To be honest I've never had any issues with any large hire company. If you're careful about reporting damage that isn't noted down and stick to the rules you've nothing to be concerned about. Best to stay away from the ones who make you return it empty, but that's perhaps a personal thing because I find those are the ones associated with shady practices. Out of Avis, Hertz and Europcar my personal favourites are Avis. Never had a duff car, and they're sensible with the deposit nonsense and don't try the hard sell on insurance when you point out you've got it covered already.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
call me dave wrote:
Firefly = Hertz. Same company, they shuffle stock between the two. Firefly is the really cheap brand.

To be honest I've never had any issues with any large hire company. If you're careful about reporting damage that isn't noted down and stick to the rules you've nothing to be concerned about. Best to stay away from the ones who make you return it empty, but that's perhaps a personal thing because I find those are the ones associated with shady practices. Out of Avis, Hertz and Europcar my personal favourites are Avis. Never had a duff car, and they're sensible with the deposit nonsense and don't try the hard sell on insurance when you point out you've got it covered already.

Excellent! Firefly= Hertz! I did have a preference for Avis, maybe I should see what they have on offer. I got hammered by Budget last summer in SFO. Terrible. I bought the extra insurance. Argus told me I had all the insurance there was to be had. At the counter, Budget said they were only taking a $100 deposit because I had all the extra insurances, and low and behold, when I turned the car in, they charge me $400 for extra insurance, that I presumably agreed to! And that wasn't even shady Italian Mafia practices. Just a honest burrito eating Cal-Mexi.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
THe main problem with hiring cars in Italy is not to do with swindles but the difficulty of obtaining properly winterised vehicles. So, no snow tyres unless you ring up and book over the phone and then only subject to availability and for an extra fee. You should get snowchains as they are required by law in some provinces, but make absolutely sure they are the right ones for the vehicle and are not rusted to buggery. We've been assured that tutti va bene when in fact that has not been the case - no chains available/ wrong size chains supplied/ etc etc. Big problem if you get caught in a snowstorm.

It's completely normal for hire companies to put a block on your credit card. Go with the additional cover in the UK which as previous posters have said is far cheaper than buying hire companies' super CDW.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@HeidiAmsterdam, cab - all day long.

hiring a car is so much ag, slower, and hardly any cheaper
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
robertsnerys wrote:
THe main problem with hiring cars in Italy is not to do with swindles but the difficulty of obtaining properly winterised vehicles. So, no snow tyres unless you ring up and book over the phone and then only subject to availability and for an extra fee..

Eurocar do winter tyres on cars. We rent them all the time. Very simple to book.

See this site
http://www.europcar.it/offerte-promozione-winter-programme-2014?fromHP=true&place=big-2

Oh and if you are wanting chains as well, keep in mind that they only cost around 40Euros for a cheap set and the cost of hire is normally more than this, so it may be an idea to just buy a set from the motorway services.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
LIsa, now, you raised my hopes there. In the past we have flown into treviso and venice. That's where we've had the issues. Although Europcar claim they do winter tyres there, I had a look and nope, none to reserve online. You can in Torino, Bergamo etc, though. It's true. If I've missed something, then I would be delighted because we have avoided those airports solely for the car hire reason after two horrible experiences on summer tyres.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Booked a car yesterday ;

For Bergamo, and I think other Italian Alpine airports, chains are automatically added to car hire booking, there is a modest fee

You can opt out, but need to present your own chains
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@robertsnerys,

We use this system every week of the season for up to 6 cars per week.

Book it online at the site I gave you, it is a sub site of the main Eurocar site. It's only in Italian but if you open a new tab on your computer and then copy the site URL and then past it into Google you will be able to translate the site. But you MUST book it on the Italian site. Just use the Google translate to let you know what you're doing name, address, etc.

If you are worried, after you have booked, Google Venice airport and then go to the transport link and then Car Hire and then Eurocar. This will get you on the phone to the people actually at the desk, not some call center in Rome. Ask them to confirm everything. I would give it a day or so after booking before the call so it will be on the system.

As I said we use this system all the time.

Mind you snow tyres were no use last week. The chains were on for 3 days.
snow conditions
Lisa, now I am really excited. Thanks so much for explaining. How daft that winterised cars don't show as options if you book it on the regular europcar website. I think I know where we'll be going next year Laughing
snow conditions
@Lisa_BrentaSki, For the prices being quoted on that site I'd be wanting to take the winter tyres home with me as well - about double what I've been offered elsewhere with just chains. (This is for Milan Linate.)
ski holidays
This year we hired twice in Turin. Always use Hertz...have some probably misguided view that loyalty counts for something. Anyhow, both cars came with chains (new, unused) in the boot without asking and no extra charge.

Where I have had to deal with Hertz customer service I have always found them responsive and courteous.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy