Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DPS Wailer vs Rossi S7

Poster: A snowHead
The Rossi S7 (2012/2013 women's model) is my daily driver. I absolutely love this ski and its geometry is perfect for the kind of skiing I enjoy most and I can ski it anywhere on piste and off and in any conditions (although they are very hard work in breakable crust – the tails get hooky). Sadly, Rossignol no longer makes this ski. The new Rossi range that is the progeny of the S7 doesn't have any one ski that is close to the same geometry (specifically with regards to the radius).

Yesterday, I met a chap on a chairlift who had a fine pair of Wailers attached to his feet. Side-by-side, the geometry of the two skis is almost identical, except the Wailer has a slightly fatter, slightly less rockered tail. Cue much discussion about how his skis perform in various conditions and my interest was very much piqued.

Looks like I may have found a replacement for my S7s when they give up the ghost. There is a women's version of the Wailer, called the Yvette, so that's a plus (I'm probably too small and lightweight for a big, stiff, men's ski).

Has anyone skied both of these skis (whether men's or women's versions), who can provide a good comparison? Even if you haven't skied the S7, I'd like to hear more about the Wailer (I have read the online reviews).
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The last Rossingnol I skied was the B2 Bandit from around 2008/2009, which was then considered a bit of a freeride ski (how times change). I was going to ask which Wailer, as there are 4 Wailers, with up to 3 constructions in some models. But since you mentioned the Yevette, I assume you mean the 112RP.

I have had Wailer 112RP Pure construction in 184cm since 2012/13, plus other DPS skis (I'm addicted). As far as I am aware there is no difference in performance between the Men's and Women's skis, just the lengths and colour. The Wailer is heavily rockered, like the S7 (but slightly less so for this model year), so they ski short. For example my 184's have a running edge on hard snow of around 115cm, unless you get them lent over to engage more of the rockered edge. The bases are very hard and take plenty of abuse without serious damage. The top sheet has survived well, with only minor marks.

I went with the lighter Pure model, as I ski for powder and tour/skin to get it, so light weight and powder performance were my main criteria. Although DPS touts the Wailer as an all mountain ski, I would not class it as that. The Pure version at least suffers on ice and hard bumps. I have not skied the Hybrid version, but I understand that it provides a damper ride, more like a traditional ski.

If you do decide to buy a pair for next season, wait until DPS have their annual Dreamtime offer in July, where they have special editions and one off discounts.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 4-02-15 13:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Zero_G,
Kelskii has a pair of Rossi's and DPS's. Not sure on the exact models (Soul 7 and DPS 99?)

The orange DPS's in these pics ....
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2519686&highlight=wildspitze#2519686
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Haven't skied either, but I think they'd be the perfect replacement for you.

Don't be scared of the mens version if you can get them cheaper though - AFAIK only the colour and length changes, and they really aren't stiff skis.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There is no difference between Wailer and Yvette. I skied and own both. Wailer I got in 178 for regular powder and Yvette in 168 for touring. Both in hybrid version. I don't really use them as daily drivers only when there is powder to be found, in harder moguls they are a bit too wide for my liking and peace of mind. I previously had an Armada JJ and prefer DPS due to a slightly longer radius and more even flex throughout the ski. Bases are indeed very strong and survived every acquaintance with rocks so far without any noticeable damage.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have a pair of the Pure 112RPs - I originally bought them because they had a similar shape to the S7 (which a mate of mine had been raving about) but with the DPS carbon feel and lightness which is great for some things but as others have said does have its compromises.
I'd say the 112s are actually quite good on ice/hard snow... for a ski that wide, with that much rocker and sidecut. I'd definitely be surprised if they are worse than the S7s because carbon is so tosionally rigid so it holds an edge quite well. Hard bumps, well, they are survivable but these would not be on any shortlist for skis dedicated to hard bumps - but that's not what these skis are for. In powder, they are a hoot. Some people struggle with them in chopped up snow/crud. All I can say is that they probably aren't the most forgiving ski in that sort of snow, but if you stay on top of your skis and get some speed up, they actually handle this type of snow well
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've skiied on both in powder (boot to knee deep) and on piste, and I have to say I really did not get on with the Soul 7, and really did get on with the Wailer! But if I'm honest with myself, I think that this is because I expected the Rossi to be better on piste than it is, and expected the Wailer to be a pure off-piste machine that is a bit marginal on piste (and thus made allowances for it), which it is!

I would not have either, to be honest, or at least not as a one ski quiver. I use a DPS Cassiar 95 on piste (which I love) and a WhiteDot Preacher off, which I find to be a bit more compromised than a Wailer in anything deeper than shin deep powder (and a lot heavier), but better for almost everything else (apart from jumping, as it's so damned heavy). And as someone who does very little touring/true backcountry, I think the Soul 7's (and certainly the Wailer's) advantages make little sense for me over a heavier ski that is more suitable for cutting through chop, crud and tracked out stuff. I found both Rossi and DPS offerings too easily deflected and a little too imprecise for my tastes. The DPS ski does seem to float better, though. And is a hell of a lot better made and prettier - DPS Pure skis really look and feel like top quality items.

If you like the Soul 7, you will like the Wailer. That said, it is (like all DPS' carbon offerings) very expensive for what it is.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I haven't skied the Rossignol S7. I've skied the DPS Wailer 112 in Hybrid for about 60 days in the last four years.

Summary: if I didn't know what the conditions would be like, I picked the Wailer 112. And if I did know, most times I still picked the Wailer. For my style, it does everything well or very well. In Hybrid construction, I even found it quite good in chopped and crud - not as good as a burly ski, but eminently skiable, and fun not scary. In trees it's superb. Overall, easy to handle at low speeds, high enough max speed for me (and I'm not very slow), versatile, likes both a carving and slarving.

I'd say that the tip and tail are on the soft side but the (relatively short) cambered section is quite a bit stiffer.

That said, recently I had to choose between a DPS Wailer 99 Pure and a Whitedot Ranger Carbonlite, for touring. I ended up getting the Whitedots, as they gave me a bit more room to go straight fast in variable conditions, while still remaining very versatile and easy to turn. I was surprised by how well I got on with them.

If you get the Wailer, please post your impressions. Mine are slowly getting to the end of their lives, so maybe I'll replace them with a Rossi Soul 7 for half the price:-)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
To add to @horizon's comments, I used to buy a lot of skis, but haven't bought any since I got my 112s in 2010 Shocked Shocked Shocked
I basically have a quiver of 2 pairs of skis - Wailer 105s (bought in 2009), which I generally use for full days of touring with Dynafit bindings, and 112s which are more resort oriented and usually have Marker F12s on them. Both are quiverkillered so I can interchange the bindings. I would struggle to choose between the skis. They are quite different but I enjoy the characteristics of both. If I was looking to replace my 112s, it would probably be with another pair of 112s, although I might look at the RPC version
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks guys, that's good info! And yes, I meant the 112 Wailer.

The Rossi S7 is quite different from the Soul 7 (which is skinnier, has less of a shovel, has a flat tail and a bigger radius), so I don't think it's a good comparison. That said, it is the next generation of the Rossi S series skis.

Arno, I know what you mean, this is my third season on the S7s and I haven't been interested in even trying other skis since I've had them. It's like they were designed especially for me.

I've only seen DPS skis in 3 shops in Cham. The possibility of testing them is quite slim since I now have Beast binding adaptors attached to the heels of my boots (it's like rocking cowboy spurs bi without the jangly sound) and renting boots to test skis is out of the question due to my dodgy biomechanics. I guess it's going to have to be a leap of faith when it comes time to buy the DPS skis. If I don't like them, I could sell them on.

Hopefully the S7s will last me a while longer before I have to take that leap but it's good to have a backup in mind.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PowderAdict wrote:
If you do decide to buy a pair for next season, wait until DPS have their annual Dreamtime offer in July, where they have special editions and one off discounts.

Do I need to sign up for this?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wasn't me, guv! Shocked
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You just need to register on the DPS website for their newsletter, and you will get occasional mails, or like them on FB, for their news feed. I think it runs for 2 weeks. I have brought from them twice and it worked perfectly, but it took 8-10 weeks from order to delivery.

Unless you glued on your Beast adapters, I am sure they could be unscrewed for use on a DPS test ski with Marker/Salomon/Atomic compatible binding. Alternatively, you could probably get away with leaving them on. I run Beast's on my DPS's as well.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Zero_G, they email people on their mailing list (you can subscribe on their website) but pretty sure they announce it on Facebook if you don't want to share your details with them at this stage
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cheers, will subscribe to their newsletter. Talk about timing, I've just popped in to Sole for a quick boot adjustment and there was a pair of Wailer 112-something in a silver colour. The more I look at them, the more I think they'll be a good fit Very Happy
ski holidays
@Zero_G, as DB mentions, I have some Soul 7s, Wailer 99s and Wailer 112 Pures. I only bought the Soul 7s because they were on sale for £250 and I thought they wouldn't be very good. I changed my mind when I started skiing on them as they're just a doddle to ski but they don't cope with difficult/variable snow very well, probably due to the honeycombed lightweight tip getting deflected easily. Over New Year I went to St Anton for two weeks and used the Soul 7s for the first week until they were in dire need of base repairs. For the second week I wheeled out the Wailer 112s, having recently moved the bindings about 2cm forward of the mounting line as I had been struggling to stay balanced on the ski and was getting knocked into the back seat in bumpy or deep snow. The mounting line is a long way back compared to other skis. I noticed the improvement as soon as I started skiing on them and really enjoyed skiing on them for the rest of that week in a variety of conditions. The Soul 7s now seem a little bit flimsy and soft in comparison.
ski holidays
@Zero_G, what length and construction are you looking at? Got some 112 Pures in a 178cm with Barons on if you want to have a go?
snow report
charlie.wilkinson, that's very generous of you, thanks! 178 is good for me (same length as my S7s). I'm not sure about construction, going from the above comments I prefer the sound of the hybrid over the Pure but I won't know until I try.

Before I remove the Beast adaptor from my boots so that I can test skis, I want to check with the boot chaps if this will weaken the attachment – I imagine that removing a screw from plastic (or whatever my boot heels are made of) and then reinserting might remove some of the material, thereby compromising the integrity of the attachment.
ski holidays
@Zero_G, are you sure you need to remove the adapter before using Barons?
snow report
Not sure, I'll ask.
snow report
Wailer vs Soul7.

Unfortunately my Wailers 112 Hybrid were pinched yesterday so I skied on rented Soul7s today. I was pretty hungover after drowning my sorrows mourning for the Wailers but I did not get on with the S7 at all.

Wailers were floaty and natural in powder with absolutely no effort to initiate a turn whereas the s7 needed a positive turn initiation and felt rather wooden. Might have been the fault of the rental bindings.

Yes the geometry/profiles are very similar so it surprised me how differently they skied. The Wailers feel very natural having skied on them for 40 days so it is not fair to diss the S7s after only a day outing (with hangover).
snow report
@Zero_G, give me a Pm if you want to borrow them, I'm up in Les Moussoux.
snow conditions
Grinning, commiserations Sad
Did you ski the S7 or the Soul 7 (they are quite different) – you talk about both in your post?

Thanks charlie.wilkinson, will do.
ski holidays
Sorry - I didn't realise - I skied Soul 7s. I thought S7 was a contraction of Soul 7 - shows how much i know Very Happy
snow report
Swapped my Soul7s with a friendly Pisteur today for his Squad7s. Fantastic and much more akin to the Wailers. Bindings were set 2cm back so it all felt much more familiar. If I can't get hold of more Wailers then I'm on a Squad7 train...
snow report
@Grinning, Very Happy If you can get your hands on some Super 7s, you may like those even more.
ski holidays
So. S7 means Super 7 not Soul 7 or Squad 7 or anything else. Please help me here.

As of now, I am in the Squad 7 camp and wholly not in the Soul 7 camp.

So help me god I might be in the S7 camp or the Super 7 camp but I just can't find my way through the acronyms...

For the sake of good order, I really enjoyed:
A) my DPS Wailers 112 190 and
B) squad 7s 188

Nuff said
ski holidays
Laughing Laughing

S7 (and S3) = old models. Then, last season, these were were replaced by the next gen S series comprising Super, Squad, Soul, etc.

Just to make it even more confusing, I think there used to be a Super 7 too in the older gen skis (or Super 7 was the full name for the S7). I could be wrong, I didn't pay too much attention and know very little about Rossi skis (or any other brand tbh). All I know is that a couple of years ago my boot fitter pushed a pair of S7s (and "S7" is what it says on my skis) into my hands and told me I should try them.

Perhaps a ski geek could shed more light.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Zero_G, Geek here Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Old super 7 was the old s7 with two sheets of metal in it, exactly same dimensions.

So s7 is a non metal ski with a pintail, super 7 had same shape but 2 sheets metal in it

There was also the squad 7 which was when they introduced the new tail shape, that eventually morphed into the shpae of the soul 7 and the new series of skis.
snow conditions
Zorrac, brilliant! So, if I understand you correctly:
Super 7 became the S7 but without metal.
Squad 7 was a variation of the S7 but with a different tail, which became the Soul 7 and its current 7-series mates.

I think it's clearer now Very Happy

Now, I just need to get my head around the various generations and models of Wailers... Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@Zero_G, nearly!

Original ski was the s7 that had no metal in it.

People complained it was a bit flexy when going quick, the tip would fold, so they created the super 7 in addition, with 2 layers of metal in it. (they still made the original s7 as well)

Also the womens s7w is identical to original s7 just with different top sheet[/u]
ski holidays
A flow diagram is needed Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy