Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanches Fatal this season ...Austria 28 ....Switzerland 28

Poster: A snowHead
There has been a series of deadly Avalanches in Switzerland,Austria & Germany over the last few days.

Seven Dead alone in Two seperate incidents.

http://www.rtl.de/cms/news/rtl-aktuell/schweiz-und-oesterreich-sieben-menschen-von-lawinen-getoetet-451a9-51ca-12-2197186.html

Inc 3 deaths above there has been 8 Deaths in the Swiss Alps alone in the last few days.

http://www.blick.ch/news/schweiz/lawinen-acht-tote-bei-lawinenniedergaengen-in-den-schweizer-alpen-id3450002.html

2 further avalanche deaths the Schwarzwald in Germany . Despite being on ly 1500M in elevation the avi danger is being described as Acute.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 16-04-15 15:05; edited 12 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sad to hear about these tragedies...but surely there's enough fun to be had in secured areas on and by the side of pistes without having to endanger your life (and any rescuers' lives) whilst risks remain acute after this huge snowfall.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And an avalanche death in the Pyrenees too, yesterday in the small Spanish resort of Candanchú (in an area that was closed due to the very high avalanche risk).

It seems highly dangerous in many, many places in Europe right now. Stay safe.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Austria

16 Avalanche Fatalities so far this season ..... That is more than entire last season 2013/14 (14 Dead)

Mentioned here also is another miracle

In Austria "Styria" on Saturday, a 74 year old mountain guide narrowly escaped death after an avalanche. The man was buried up to his chest. It took nine hours before he was found just before midnight ..

http://kurier.at/chronik/oesterreich/lawinen-forderten-bereits-16-menschenleben/111.347.897
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Saturday 7th Feb

Italy...Cortina d'Ampezzo

24yr old Dutch Kid dead.

Also mentions France, La Plagne

1 Brit Killed , 3 Intructors were caught & 1 of them (28yrs) was killed also Nationality unknown

http://www.telegraaf.nl/binnenland/23655023/__NL_er_dood_door_lawine_Italie__.html

Austria Kaprun
Remarkable Avalanche Survival Story. Local mountain guide

http://salzburg.orf.at/news/stories/2693559/
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Avalanche caused here yesterday.

'Snowboarder' decided it would be a good idea to try boarding down off piste between the avalanche fences. Clearly he didn't think why the fences are there in the first place.....to protect the busy piste below and arrest the flow of any avalanche. It would be obvious maybe to most that if the fences are there, then there is a considerable risk of an avalanche.

The Snowboarder was totally unprepared. Boarding alone, no helmet, no rucksack....so I assume no essential equipment and probably no transponder.

Gladly he didn't come to grief, nor did anyone else below. I had the perfect view of all events from a chairlift.

Sadly we all share the mountains with idiots like this.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stanton wrote:

Also mentions France, La Plagne

1 Brit Killed , 3 Intructors were caught & 1 of them (28yrs) was killed also Nationality unknown

He was British, and an instructor with Oxygene, very sad:

http://tarentaisesourcemagazine.com/la-plagne-instructor-dies-avalanche/
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@stanton,Don't have enough German but if that guy was on the Imbachorn he was a whole mountain and valley off piste, literally off the map.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another one today in Rax (Niederösterreich) , Austria

Snowborder

http://noe.orf.at/news/stories/2693977/

Yesterday in Switzerland another Ski Tourer perished

http://www.polizeinews.ch/index/Tourenskifahrer+von+Lawine+getoetet/564209/detail.htm
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Friday 13th

Two more in the Tirol,Austria

http://kurier.at/chronik/oesterreich/namlosbad-goisern-tourengeher-bei-lawinenabgang-in-tirol-getoetet/113.703.853

http://www.tt.com/panorama/unfall/9636215-91/lawine-in-den-lechtaler-alpen-forderte-ein-todesopfer.csp
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Two more in Austria yesterday (Sunday)

http://steiermark.orf.at/news/stories/2694871/

Total Dead in Avalanches in Austria this season 21 Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Are all of these off piste incidents?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mike-H wrote:
Are all of these off piste incidents?

For Austria Yes combination of Off-Piste, High Alpine Touring

http://www.tt.com/panorama/unfall/9647365-91/lawinen-forderten-diesen-winter-bisher-21-menschenleben.csp

Summary

Hans Ebner, Head of the Alpine Police for the Interior Ministry said...

The Tirol leads the way as normal 40-45% of all Winter Sports accidents.

"Unfavorable Snowpack" this winter. Especially in Tirol there had been a week long Avi Warning level 3, the conditions had not been ideal in Austria.

While the number of Avalanche deaths has risen, Winter sporting accidents declined as a whole.
Police recorded 1,460 accidents with suspected foul play inc fatalailties up to this weekend (Feb 15th)

There is also a further 150 cases that have not been registrered yet in the database.

Fatalities in controlled Austrain Ski Areas/Resorts this winter so far, there have been 15, which is exactly 10 less than in the same period last year. This is encouraging but also due to the late opening starts by many areas.

331 Hit and Run accidents were committed so far. Proportion is high as an injury often turns out later when they visit the Doctor & the suspect
is long gone & untraceble.

The Alpine police therefore recommends precaution & exchange personnel data instantly for all accidents
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Norway

Tuesday 17th Feb One German dead in the Lyngen Alps

http://www.abendzeitung-muenchen.de/inhalt.unglueck-in-troms-lawine-toetet-deutschen-skifahrer-in-norwegen.bd6716f1-c904-47aa-87c6-ac351b0377f2.html
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Be careful Langlauf (X Counrty) Sad Sad Sad

3 more in Swizterland

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/switzerland/11427211/Italian-cross-country-skiiers-killed-in-Swiss-avalanche.html
snow report
No, ski tourers!

The "french hikers" mentioned in the article were also ski tourers.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 22-02-15 13:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@stanton, timely reminders for everyone. Good work.
snow report
Just found out that the German who was killed in Norway above was a former work colleague / occasional ski and mtb buddy of mine. He was an avid and very experienced tourer, as was the other guy with him who survived. He leaves his wife and two teenage children behind.

Very sad news for me. This has really brought home to me just how little the 'experience' you gain is really worth. At the end of the day it's just down to luck, or not as was the case here.
latest report
@Steilhang, Sad Sad Sad And reports on another thread of a very experienced Oxygene instructor, British, being killed yesterday.
snow report
After seeing what people were skiing today in Tignes I'm not surprised about the number of deaths Sad Lots of lines down massively exposed 35-40 degree slopes with no possible safe zone if it slides.
ski holidays
Last Saturday 4 Italian Ski Tourers killed in Switzerland. buried under 3 metres of Snow.

http://www.blick.ch/news/schweiz/vier-tourenfahrer-sterben-im-wallis-hat-der-wind-die-lawine-ausgeloest-id3509193.html

Sunday Ramsau, Austria. Young Female Mountain Rescuer killed

http://www.oe24.at/oesterreich/chronik/steiermark/Bergretterin-von-Lawine-getoetet/178030819

Austria The total... 22 avalanche victims this year's season so - so that the number of the previous year (13) is clearly exceeded.

The long-term average 25 people die each winter in an avalanche.

Alpine Police also say an increased number of known avalanche accidents so far this year is the season with 91. Last season it was February 67.
latest report
stanton wrote:
Last Saturday 4 Italian Ski Tourers killed in Switzerland. buried under 3 metres of Snow.

http://www.blick.ch/news/schweiz/vier-tourenfahrer-sterben-im-wallis-hat-der-wind-die-lawine-ausgeloest-id3509193.html

You already posted that.

The incident is interesting to look at as even the SLF fell into the obvious trap of listing the risk as 2 initially (they've since updated their website after this error was pointed out) whereas the devil is in the detail, note this is from the 8am bulletin

Quote:
SLF
Avalanche bulletin for 21 February issued at 8am 21.2

Risk Level: 2 MODERATE
Fresh, wind blown snow

Danger areas
All slope aspects above 1800 meters

Dangers
Accumulations of wind blown snow will form with the fresh snow and wind. They will lie on a surface of unstable snow especially on shaded slopes. An avalanche can be triggered by a single backcountry traveller. In the afternoon the risk level of 3 - Considerable will probably be reached. Tours and off piste trips will need to take a prudent choice with their routes.

Accident at 2300 m, at 13h30. I believe the Combe de Morts is generally north facing. It is a reminder that even if you didn't take the 8am bulletin and relied on a risk level of 2 that the 3x3 method applies and you need to look at the conditions as you find them not as they were forecast and to certainly look beyond a headline risk.

Of course we have idea what decicion making process the Italian's used and I'm just making a general comment.
snow conditions
@davidof, sorry about double post.
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
@davidof, sorry about double post.

ah no problem I just wondered if you'd seen they were the same incident or not?
snow conditions
@Steilhang,
Hallo Steilhang, bin eben auf deinen Kommentar gestoßen.
Habe vor einer Woche die Todesanzeige eines Freundes entdeckt und versuche seit dem zu verstehen was passiert ist.
Da ich nicht weiß, wer diese Nachricht alles sehen kann, möchte ich dich bitten, mich per E-Mail zu kontaktieren.
allgaeu2012@emailn.de
Besten Dank
Viele Grüße
Harald
latest report
@Harald, Hallo Harald. Allzuviele Informationen hab ich nicht. Ich weiss nur das er mit einem Freund in Norwegen auf Schitouren war und das sie beide in eine Lawine kamen. Er wurde unter 3 meter Schnee begraben, sein Begleiter konnte sich selber befreien. Das Ganze wurde von einer Anderen Gruppe beobachtet und die haben die Bergretter alarmiert. Leider zu spät. Ich kann's immer noch kaum glauben. Mehr infos gibt's hier auf Norwegisch. Hab google translate benutzt um es zu übersetzen.

http://www.nordlys.no/Skred_g_tt_i_Storfjord_fra_Fastdalstinden-5-34-92727.html
latest report
@Steilhang, Hallo Steilhang, reden wir beide von der gleichen Person? P.R. aus M.?
snow conditions
Ja, genau.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
St Anton am Arlberg Tueday March 3rd.

27 year old Austalian female

https://www.tt.com/panorama/unfall/9713164-91/ein-toter-nach-lawinenabgang-am-arlberg.csp
ski holidays
Ski Tourer from Slovakia missing sincce yesterday found Dead under avalanche.

http://www.news.at/a/tirol-lawine-toter
ski holidays
I'm going to invest in Avi equipment. We don't ski proper off piste, through the trees next to the piste, and we ski the piste. Even on piste it isn't always safe, accidents happen, and not that equipment will always save you, it does increase your chances of survival in an accident. I'm just spooked reading these stories year after year, and we like doing the odd bit here and there through the trees.
latest report
@HeidiAmsterdam,

Avi equipment can help if you keep it maintained,functional &
know how to use it.

Most leisure skiers who buy airbags would not be able to
react quick enough if they were hit or carried away in a slide.
Panic & Shock would overtake any kind of survival thoughts.

The best thing folks could do before they spend €100,1000,s on
gear is to first invest a small amount in Avalanche Awareness & Avalanche search & rescue courses.

A €1 oldstyle device may save your life on & off piste.
The simple Whistle...keep it chained to your ski jacket.
ski holidays
Quote:
Most leisure skiers who buy airbags would not be able to
react quick enough if they were hit or carried away in a slide.
Panic & Shock would overtake any kind of survival thoughts.
The usual garbage from our flatland tyrolean.
Some people freeze in a bad situation, others think and react. It has nothing to do with experience, seeing as very few people ever have any experience of getting caught in an avalanche. Equipment is good, but training is better imo. But as we have seen, many of the people getting caught are in fact very experienced. It doesn't always help.
snow report
@Steilhang,

Im not saying experience. Experience can mean many things
You can be a 1 week a season wintersports holiday maker say over 30 years therefore experienced however never skied backcountry or off piste.

In motorway pile ups. They happen so fast, how many drivers make the right decisions & react correctly... not many!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 4-03-15 17:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Puzzled rolling eyes
Quote:

We don't ski proper off piste

here we go again?

I had an interesting conversation with a good friend over in Chamonix, he is very experienced and has all the avi gear, plus a very high level of training and mountain awareness, he got caught in a avalanche but managed to avoid being taken, even though he was in the avalanche he remained on his feet and skied out to the side. I asked why he did not pull his avalanche airbag first, his honest answer was he didn't know, he said he would next time Very Happy

Made me smile, I think it was the shock that he did not read the snow right on that occasion!
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
@Steilhang,

Im not saying experience. Expeience can mean many things
You can be a 1 week a season wintersports holiday maker say over 30 years therefore exoerienced however never skied backcountry or off piste.

In motorway pile ups. They happen so fast, how many drivers make the right decisions & react correctly... not many!
One thing has nothing to do with the other. Some people react to danger by freezing and doing nothing, others react by acting in a way that may help to get them out of the situation they are in. It has absolutely nothing to do with the number of years you may or may not have spent doing a particular activity. i.e you may well have spent 30 years skiing backcountry / off piste ( as I have ) and never got into an avalanche ( as I have not ) and when suddenly faced with that situation react in the same way as someone who is on his first day... i.e you might or might not react by pulling the handle.
If you want to see examples of the way people react in these situations look at the videos of the Tsunami at Khao Lak. Some people simply froze solid and probably died. Others ran for their lives and maybe survived. I would bet you could not tell which kind of person was a freezer and which was a runner before the event, and it would have had absolutely nothing to do with their experience at swimming!
snow report
livetoski wrote:
Puzzled rolling eyes
Quote:

We don't ski proper off piste

here we go again?

I had an interesting conversation with a good friend over in Chamonix, he is very experienced and has all the avi gear, plus a very high level of training and mountain awareness, he got caught in a avalanche but managed to avoid being taken, even though he was in the avalanche he remained on his feet and skied out to the side. I asked why he did not pull his avalanche airbag first, his honest answer was he didn't know, he said he would next time Very Happy

Made me smile, I think it was the shock that he did not read the snow right on that occasion!

Well that's the point. I want to ski off to the sides, through the trees, and do the odd free ride thing, which I don't do now. I love the mountains, but they are dangerous.

I always wear a seatbelt, even though I've never been in a car accident. For me, same thing.
snow report
@Steilhang,

Stay Safe!
snow conditions
livetoski wrote:

a guy I know got caught the other day, pulled his avalanche airbag lever and.... nothing. He wasn't very impressed to have lugged something around all winter on his tours that didn't actually work. Not only that but when I talked to him earlier in the year about some of the riskier stuff he was doing he said "no worries, got my airbag".

He skied out the slide he was caught in, it was a slab about 30cm deep. He said its changed his view on airbags a bit. He's obviously waiting for the manufacturer to get back to him but he wonders whether being a passive "passenger" in the ride once you pull the airbag is the best idea now or whether trying to escape the slide first is the best bet then pulling the airbag, of course it may be too late then. There is a lot of stuff people ski locally where an airbag is not necessarily the right answer if you get taken by a slide (Bauges, Chartreuse, lots of trees and cliffs to get smashed into). The opposite end is probably the Mickey's Ears avalanche where an airbag was the right tool for the problem.
latest report
@davidof, would you be able to tell us what kind of airbag?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy