Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Edge Angles?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
When I have my skis serviced I don't ask about edge angles, I guess the shop just sharpens what is already on the skis or applies a standard angle? Is there ay merit in asking for a particular angle for your ski style or the prevailing conditions? In particular I was wondering if a different edge angle would improve grip of my 112 underfoot Preachers on very icy pistes?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It is worth having certain edge angles for different conditions and different skis.

I can not recommend anything for the Preachers though as I don't own anything anywhere near that width underfoot, and even though there are some basic rules/guidlines I do not want to suggest something that I have not tried myself.

As a very basic rule more edge angle gives better grip but blunts quicker.
You combine edge angle with base angle. Base angle is lower on slalom and GS style skis and more prominent on SG and DH skis the reason being you want the ski to glide and reduce the risk of an edge catching at high speed, at lower technical speeds you want the edge to bite quicker for faster edge to edge turns typical of slalom.

I would suggest if you want to get into this speak to Spyderjon and maybe book on one of his courses. It is not hard to do your own skis but equally if you do get it wrong then it can take quite a bit of work to correct.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@On the rocks,

One of the Whitedot guys may pop up and say something on here, so hang fire before you do anything.
But in the mean time have a read of Spyderjon's guide. Really useful.

http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/content/category/5/14/34/
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I just tend to stick a 3 degree edge on all my skis. You won't notice it in powder and soft snow but it sure seems to help with grip on hard packed pistes if you let the ski run, for side slipping anything as long as it's sharp will do.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@On the rocks, I think shops just set all angles the same; to whatever their machines set up for.

I chuck 1/3 on everything from SL to powder skis.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I guess it may depend on the shop and the available equipment. During a moment of idleness, I asked the guys in Scheiber Sports in Obergurgl if I could watch their servicing machine (a Montana) in action. It was all pretty impressive. They dialled in the desired angles (correctly 1/3 in my case), placed the skis in the machine and let it get on with it At the end, they used a buffing wheel to add the finishing touches. They could set different angles, within reason, if requested
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sorry to be dim but what to you mean by 1/3? how does this relates to Scarpa's 3 degrees? Do you mean 0.333 degrees?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@On the rocks, This link explains it and is a good source for other skiing-related stuff.

edit. Just noticed that the link has already been referenced earlier.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@jtr, Thanks, perfect
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@On the rocks, I had some preachers and loved them. I keep them at the manufacturer standard which from memory was 1/3. I have to say that if I was skiing on icy pistes although 1/3 would be good angles, preachers would not be my first choice of ski!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@jbob, Indeed, but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger? I hindsight I should have hired a pair of long super stiff skinny ski for the pre-dump conditions in Val a few weeks ago, especially for the Face Embarassed
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy