Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Piste Policemen

Poster: A snowHead
Saw this today on Planet Ski. Interesting topic and has caused quite a bit of debate on Twitter already. http://www.planetski.eu/news/6690.

I'm all in favour if it helps stop mindless out of control skiing,
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Been debated rather a lot.

Not nearly as much as helmets.

Just as much consensus.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
under a new name wrote:
Been debated rather a lot.

Not nearly as much as helmets.

Just as much consensus.

Did you see the story from a writer at Planet Ski. She got a broken leg from an out of control skier, he didn't stop and skied off with his friends.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Correct link
http://www.planetski.eu/news/6690
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We have piste police in Avoriaz apparently
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
cad99uk wrote:
Correct link
http://www.planetski.eu/news/6690

Thank you.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In Whistler we have loads of mountain safety people who pull passes from the skiers/boarders if they go too fast in a slow zone.

And for the more serious stuff we even have actual police who ski around all day and they carry guns Shock .
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I saw an out of control child about 10 have his skis taken off him in Flaine at New Year by a lift operator. It was the right thing to do he literally went from top to bottom arms waving, screaming in a straight line with no regards to anybody else. Piste was a green and used by lots of small children in ski school.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I saw an out of control child about 10 have his skis taken off him in Flaine at New Year by a lift operator

his father (or so-called responsible adult) should probably have had the balls taken off him.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Linnylou26, yes I did see. Dreadful. And your point is?

Debated on here nearly much as compulsory helmets and with as much conclusion.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name wrote:
@Linnylou26, yes I did see. Dreadful. And your point is?

Debated on here nearly much as compulsory helmets and with as much conclusion.

I wasn't trying to create any trouble or huge debate just thought it was an interesting topic and wondered what people's thoughts were.

I wouldn't be without my helmet and wouldn't let my children ski without one. I respect it's people's own choice and wouldn't think anything less.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
[quote="pam w"][quote]

Exactly it certainly made my own child 7 think a bit.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I don't think a kp/h limit, as shown in the photo is workable or fair, unless skis are going to start to be equipped with speedometers, but having a "no faster than the general flow of traffic" rule on some pistes seems totally reasonable, and perhaps a more general one to ski with "due care and consideration" at all times. And to take lift passes from anyone who blatantly breaks the rules.

It is a little ironic when people start talking of sticking to black runs as a safety measure (as I've seen on some threads)...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Linnylou26, definitely, children should wear helmets. No argument. But for very different reasons than adults.

But piste policing is a perennial topic that comes up every time someone's on-piste stupidity is reported somewhere. (I'm guessing at least once a year?) There doesn't seem to be any easy solution, other than education.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
"This month Vail Resorts in the USA has issued a speeding ticket to a person that was skiing too fast in a slow zone"

I'm in favour of a fine for that that tortured pronoun.
snow conditions
Robhogg, "No faster than the general flow of traffic" sounds reasonable but is probably entirely impractical (measurement of general flow) and doesn't help the nervous beginner in the middle... But (see below) could be a restatement of rule2...

"Due care and consideration" is surely encompassed in the generally adopted but rarely enforced F.I.S. Rules, at #1 http://www.fis-ski.com/mm/Document/documentlibrary/Administrative/02/04/30/10FISRulesofConduct-English-A4_Neutral.pdf

Problem really is that you can't easily legislate against stupidity, nor ignorance. Unless you are Robert Redford.

If everyone knew they own capabilities and limits and followed the FI s rules while understanding what they mean*, we'd have fewer problems.

* e.g. Appropriate speed means you can avoid any obstacle or skier in front of you no matter what they do.
ski holidays
Personally, I'm a believer in that everyone should have a Mountain License.

the rule would be very simple

1. You MUST have a Ski/Board license to buy a lift pass.
2. In order to get a Ski/Board license you complete lessons and a safety course and pass a test at the end of it.
3. You can accumulate points on your license (similar to a driving license) if you are caught speeding, drunk in charge of Ski/Board equipment (breathalyser required), skiing/boarding without due care and attention etc etc
4. If you Injure someone on the mountain you are liable for the injured parties expenses if you are proved at fault.
5. You must provide proof of insurance at the time of buying your pass - or buy a pass with insurance included.
6. If you accumulate enough offenses your license is suspended, your ski pass removed and you must pass a new ski/board & safety test before allowed on to buy a pass again.
7. repeat offenders are banned for 1 year, 3 years or life according to either the severity of the offenses or the amount of time you re-offend

In a world with an ever increasing population one must consider that the slopes will become more crowded. consider it preventative measures.
snow report
@Insiders, that's completely over the top IMO. Vast majority of skiers and boarders are responsible, and the vast majority of skiers and boarders return from holiday after holiday having had a great time. Simply no need to create a massive bureaucracy, which would not guarantee to fix the isolated examples of dangerous skiing we see on the slopes.

Piste Patrol having the ability to dispense advice about responsible slope use, hand out warnings, and in the last resort pull liftpasses for a set amount of time seems like a sensible way forward.
snow report
@Insiders,

You could apply that to just about anything,

1. You MUST have a Child Buggy/Pram license to buy a buggy or a pram ( especially those stupid three wheel "look I jog with my sprog ones" ).
2. In order to get a Buggy/Pram license you complete lessons and a safety course and pass a test at the end of it.
3. You can accumulate points on your license (similar to a driving license) if you are caught speeding around the aisle of Tesco/Waitrose/Lidl/Aldi whilst on phone to Chardonnay your best mate discussing rubbish without due care and attention etc etc
4. If you Injure someone you are liable for the injured parties expenses if you are proved at fault.
5. You must provide proof of insurance at the time of buying your buggy/pram ( higher excess for those stupid "I jog with my sprog" ones
6. If you accumulate enough offenses your license is suspended, your buggy/pram is removed and you must pass a new buggy/pram safety test before allowed on to buy a pram/buggy again.
7. repeat offenders are banned for 1 year, 3 years or life according to either the severity of the offenses or the amount of time you re-offend

In a world with an ever increasing population one must consider that the aisles will become more crowded. consider it preventative measures.

Please apply above rules to just about anything.
snow report
@Timbobaggins,

That's a pretty lame response to a fair point

And SOME people DO need a pram/buggy license
ski holidays
@rob@rar, If you're responsible - you've got nothing to worry about Little Angel
ski holidays
@Insiders,

Sense of humour ????
latest report
@Timbobaggins, where was yours then???
latest report
@Insiders, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin totally unworkable. I'll bite

Skiing is a pastime for people to enjoy themselves in great places. Would need an army of bureaucrats to keep things up to date Madeye-Smiley What next apply your 'rules' to pedestrians in this country - not allowing them to go out without a competency test Toofy Grin

Go skiing and stop worrying about it.
snow report
@Insiders,

Probably where yours is/was NehNeh
snow report
LOL - peoples opinions would change very fast if they'd sustained life changing injuries from a drunk, out of control skier...
snow report
Timbobaggins wrote:
@Insiders,

Probably where yours is/was NehNeh

I don't really think being made disable from a crazy out of control skier is a funny matter requiring some kind of sense of humour
snow conditions
Maybe all that's needed is a little common sense.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Insiders wrote:
@rob@rar, If you're responsible - you've got nothing to worry about Little Angel
I'd worry about the hordes of people who would be put off snowsports because of the ludicrous rules surrounding it.

Not the first time this idea has been discussed on snowHeads
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
Insiders wrote:
I'd worry about the hordes of people who would be put off snowsports because of the ludicrous rules surrounding it.

Not the first time this idea has been discussed on snowHeads

oh well.... more mountain for me Smile
snow conditions
Insiders wrote:
LOL - peoples opinions would change very fast if they'd sustained life changing injuries from a drunk, out of control skier...
There is a tough driving test, stringent laws, automatic speed cameras, marked and unmarked police cars some of which are dedicated to enforcing these rules, yet we still have needless deaths and injuries on our roads. What makes you think introducing something similar for skiing is going to make a difference to the small number of serious incidents, like the one which happened to my friend quoted earlier in this thread?
snow conditions
Timbobaggins wrote:
@Insiders,

You could apply that to just about anything,

1. You MUST have a Child Buggy/Pram license to buy a buggy or a pram ( especially those stupid three wheel "look I jog with my sprog ones" ).
2. In order to get a Buggy/Pram license you complete lessons and a safety course and pass a test at the end of it.
3. You can accumulate points on your license (similar to a driving license) if you are caught speeding around the aisle of Tesco/Waitrose/Lidl/Aldi whilst on phone to Chardonnay your best mate discussing rubbish without due care and attention etc etc
4. If you Injure someone you are liable for the injured parties expenses if you are proved at fault.
5. You must provide proof of insurance at the time of buying your buggy/pram ( higher excess for those stupid "I jog with my sprog" ones
6. If you accumulate enough offenses your license is suspended, your buggy/pram is removed and you must pass a new buggy/pram safety test before allowed on to buy a pram/buggy again.

In a world with an ever increasing population one must consider that the aisles will become more crowded. consider it preventative measures.

Please apply above rules to just about anything.

I would extend this scheme to supermarket trolleys as well Toofy Grin
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
There is a tough driving test, stringent laws, automatic speed cameras, marked and unmarked police cars some of which are dedicated to enforcing these rules, yet we still have needless deaths and injuries on our roads.

Road casualties are the lowest since records began despite the number of cars on the road being close to a historic high. So those tests, cameras etc have apparently made a difference. Which does not mean I favour controls on skiing. It's a silly discussion anyway as resorts aren't about to make it harder for people to buy lift passes.
ski holidays
dogwatch wrote:
Road casualties are the lowest since records began despite the number of cars on the road being close to a historic high. So those tests, cameras etc have apparently made a difference. Which does not mean I favour controls on skiing. It's a silly discussion anyway as resorts aren't about to make it harder for people to buy lift passes.
You're right. So maybe sensible measures to moderate a small problem is the way forward, rather than drastic measures which will suck the joy out of skiing holidays despite not eradicating dangerous skiing?

Agreed it's a silly discussion, for the reason you cite.
ski holidays
I have a lot of respect for what I ahve seen of the Italian way of policing the pistes.

ONLY people causing danger to others are harassed/prosecuted - those causing real danger and or injury are delt with harshly.

Race kids going round for the thex lap of the race piste at 90kph are no issue, they are in control. The out of control middle aged skier at 40kph will loose his lift pass. The loud durnks crahing around the piste may be asked to leave town. The russian who crahes like a boling ball into the skiscool class gets thrown out of the country and his passport stampped DO NOT RETURN, regardless of his political connections .

I most regularily see them 50m from the cafe at the bottom of Zerotta, watching people return form the off piste run off Cresta Yula/Arp - they are checking to ensure people are properly equipped. We smill and nod, sometimes say hi and comment on conditions.
Those with no backpack will of course be asked a few questions, the results depend more on their attitude to the fact they were doing something they weren't supposed to be doing - some get a firm taliking to, at the other end of the spectrum, they are walking doen the road to Courmayeur sans skis or liftpass Wink
ski holidays
@Idris, I'd be happy to see that kind of common sense applied more widely.
latest report
France already has piste police. Their job is to arrest responsible leaders who, allegedly, take work from ski instructors incapable of teaching people to ski under control.
snow conditions
No need for any extra rules most lift passes are electronic we live in a CCTV world if someone hits another person and ski/boards off without stopping/giving details and a description can be given there is a reasonably good chance that the person could be identified from CCTV at top and bottom of lifts this is then tied into info about who purchased the lift pass, it can be suspended and the person needs to do a course/be given advice or in very serious incidents the police brought in.

Give everyone on lessons a copy of the skiway code, and actually use it during lessons so pupils learn the importance of the code.
snow report
Insiders wrote:
Personally, I'm a believer in that everyone should have a Mountain License.

the rule would be very simple

1. You MUST have a Ski/Board license to buy a lift pass.
2. In order to get a Ski/Board license you complete lessons and a safety course and pass a test at the end of it.
3. You can accumulate points on your license (similar to a driving license) if you are caught speeding, drunk in charge of Ski/Board equipment (breathalyser required), skiing/boarding without due care and attention etc etc
4. If you Injure someone on the mountain you are liable for the injured parties expenses if you are proved at fault.
5. You must provide proof of insurance at the time of buying your pass - or buy a pass with insurance included.
6. If you accumulate enough offenses your license is suspended, your ski pass removed and you must pass a new ski/board & safety test before allowed on to buy a pass again.

In a world with an ever increasing population one must consider that the slopes will become more crowded. consider it preventative measures.

oh well that's the Russians and londoners hols up the spout, probably Parisians as well
latest report
Gotta agree that more rules won't help. 99% of slope users are responsible and in control (excusing those on their first day on snow, who really aren't a danger to anyone but themselves). It is the 1% that need educated not the 99% that need over regulated.
We all really have to take responsibility. Out of control, dangerous, skiing should be castigated by all slope users. It is an onus on all of us to speak out and let those idiots know that their actions are unacceptable. That attitude was certainly very prevalent when I was learning, I'll admit I got chastised by my peers a few times in those formative years.
I got taken out in Italy at Christmas by some clown, luckily I was only a bit tender but he took a chunk out of my ski and his edges sliced through my ski pants. No one picked him up on it (he stopped well downhill of me, and I had a fair walk uphill to get my hat so he was long gone before I could get to him). This wouldn't have happened before, I am sure he would have been given a dressing down by others in the past.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy