Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Using ski poles getting off the lifts

Poster: A snowHead
@bagginsmum,
Quote:

I'm going to all self conscious when I get on a lift now

Me too!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thank Christ I was starting to think I'd been vomiting snowhead crime. I don't know what I do with my poles... I think it varies with lift, seats, company, etc.

Some lifts are easy to get of by standing up others are trickier. I'm not short but sometimes I need to steady myself and a wobbly chair doesn't feel right.

two seated less risk than 6 seated.

Company... People I know then I'm more likely to worry less about brushing into them. If im with a beginner I would want to lend them a hand.

Never tripped anyone or been tripped by someone poles off a tow. Perhaps there is something about the skier being tripped not controlling speed trying to shoot through etc. If my pole is in ur way slow down and let me out of the way... Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Carrying out a very quick (and not really very scientific) study, I think you can safely say that those who use poles with no consideration for others when getting off a lift are those that walk around with skis over their shoulders, turning from side to side, with a similar lack of consideration for all those around them. They usually react the same way when you remind them that they aren't the only people on the path at that time!

However I do ask for forgiveness from the massed Snowhead collective for a couple of minor pole based indiscretions while getting onto lifts earlier in my skiing experience. I learned very quickly that it isn't acceptable to wave 135cm of pole around while getting comfortable on a chair!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
polc1410 wrote:
Thank Christ I was starting to think I'd been vomiting snowhead crime. I don't know what I do with my poles... I think it varies with lift, seats, company, etc.

Some lifts are easy

Never tripped anyone or been tripped by someone poles off a tow. Perhaps there is something about the skier being tripped not controlling speed trying to shoot through etc. If my pole is in ur way slow down and let me out of the way... Twisted Evil

Not too sure how controlling speed comes into when you should all be going at the same speed- the one the lift has deposited you at. Or how I'm supposed to slow down my exit from said lift if I want my head to remain unbattered, assuming a full lift so no place for turning, plough or other braking manoeuvres. Trying to slow using poles seems like a recipe for arm damage to me. At that distance from the lift unless the wax job is truely diabolical this should not affect the speed of running that much so there shouldn't be a speed differential

Of course if you are 2 people on a big lift, how you exit is irrelevant to me (I hope) and on a 2 man hopefully you'd have the decency to wield poles on the side I'm not but given how cozy the exits to the 6 man lifts I've been on have been I can't see a way it would be safe to use a pole unless on one of the outside seats and even then I can't see how they'd be anything but a hazard.

That said a chair is better than sharing a t-bar with someone of totally the wrong height!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oh, a chairlift rant, can I join in? Toofy Grin

Poles in one hand...shove off seat with other if needed.

Safety bar....wait until everyone is ready please....otherwise it's usually the best reason to wear a helmet.

Decide which direction you're heading BEFORE you get off at the top (and if you're on the left-hand side of a 6 person lift, it's usually best not to try to head off to the right!).

Don't all congregate in the middle of the off-loading areas...move to the side or down the piste a bit before 'faffing'.

Oh and when loading....keep a good hold of your poles! I lost count of how many times I saw lifties retrieving dropped poles, and skis, during my week in La Plagne (plus one 'amusing' incident of a bloke firmly stuck under the chair in the loading area).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
that wasn't me Wink
my trip under the chair was on disembarkation Wink

oh and poles and skis up when going through mid-station transits (although they are quite rare). big signs saying to keep poles up, with the lifties putting all the snapped poles on display, and they still get bent/snapped under the chair Wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ravelin wrote:

Safety bar....wait until everyone is ready please....otherwise it's usually the best reason to wear a helmet.

I lost count of the times the bar was smashed into my helmet at Christmas, shortly followed by the bubble crashing into my knees. If you are that scared of lifts then why are you skiing Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've been rugby tackled to pass under chair before now, me + young teen I didn't know. Me + kid + 2 boarders line up for 4 or 6 man (probably 6) detachable. Kid and I shuffle to line, boarders don't, and sit sprawled across 2 seats each (at least) leaving no space for us. Lifties tackle me and kid to floor, dust us off and send us up 3 or 4 chairs later (no one gets on between). Still slightly nervous of numptie looking boarders! If lifties hadn't been paying attention would have been messy as sitting on laps doesn't work and drop after load area (admittedly into a net but had I ended up in it I doubt I'd've been on a chair lift again, certainly not with clueless boarders. Have no idea if the got bollocked at top, sure hope so!

Have nasty feeling numptie boarders were Brits!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh one incident I forgot earlier....New Year week but lunchtime so it wasn't busy. Son and I were waiting to get on a 4/5 seater lift, with the little automatic gates at shin level that open and close as the chairs come through. Some numpty, who I'm assuming was trying to get on a chair with a mate/kid/family, jumps in front of me but misses the gate opening. For some reason rather than wait at that gate, he then hastily tries to switch to the one to his right, but again misses it. Then does the same again, back to the left, and misses that too. I think he made it through and onto the chair at the 4th attempt!

Both my son and I watched this acted out in front of us in stunned silence, so stunned that neither of us moved until we got on the chair behind the one he'd got on. OK it was quiet, but that was 3 empty chairs, one with him on alone and one with two of us on, when we could all have easily got on the first chair together.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Randomsabreur, a boarder buddy did that to Mrs MP. She gets up, he has a nice lump missing out of his calf. Lesson for the day - if you are going to start a row, don't start a row with her.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
At Xmas the only time I needed the helmet was when someone swung a pair of skis around they were carrying and hit me in the head with them. Would've hurt loads if no helmet.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As above, ski nanny type with skis over her shoulder, turned quickly and whacked me in the head.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Randomsabreur wrote:
polc1410 wrote:

Some lifts are easy

Not too sure how controlling speed comes into when you should all be going at the same speed- the one the lift has deposited you at. Or how I'm supposed to slow down my exit from said lift if I want my head to remain unbattered, assuming a full lift so no place for turning, plough or other braking manoeuvres. Trying to slow using poles seems like a recipe for arm damage to me. At that distance from the lift unless the wax job is truely diabolical this should not affect the speed of running that much so there shouldn't be a speed differential

Mmmm... So its so tight space wise ur boors are almost touching each other and ur neighbours? Where r ur arms? You can do what my 4 year old would tell me was a skinny pizza slice. Ur just to obsessed with getting off the lift to be observing the others round you and being courteous. 3seconds longer getting on that downhill really isn't what its all about ur on holiday. Just chill. Let Mr poles push off and get out ur way. Tiny plough, he pushes with poles moves clear ahead you move on.
Quote:

Of course if you are 2 people on a big lift, how you exit is irrelevant to me (I hope) and on a 2 man hopefully you'd have the decency to wield poles on the side I'm not but given how cozy the exits to the 6 man lifts I've been on have been I can't see a way it would be safe to use a pole unless on one of the outside seats and even then I can't see how they'd be anything but a hazard.

Mostly a 4 chair guy. A few 6 chairs where I'm off to this year will need to see if its noticeably different now you've enlightened me to my error of my ways.

Quote:

That said a chair is better than sharing a t-bar with someone of totally the wrong height!

Fortunately avoided t-s for a long time. But there are lits where I'm headed this year. My recollection is of school trips where you really didn't want to go on with a teacher not just for the weight imballance but for the rivoting chat on the way up as well...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Really really annoying, dangerous and unnecessary - I’d take the other jong move getting slammed on the head by the bar 0.1secs after sitting down over this. If you really need to push off because you have got off too early use your hand on the chair. I’ve had more than a few people put a pole between my skis over the years but yet been taken out by one. There is a reason there are signs saying pole in the outside hand.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
musher wrote:
Ravelin wrote:

I lost count of the times the bar was smashed into my helmet at Christmas, shortly followed by the bubble crashing into my knees. If you are that scared of lifts then why are you skiing Evil or Very Mad

See I'm feeling left out again...
I ski for the... Ur gonna be shocked by this ...skiing.

Strange... I assumed everyone did. Do people ski for the rush of lifting the bar before the signs say to? Now that doesn't scare me at all but I know people it does and I think its unnecessary and I can see why people stress about it. Never on a lift have I felt the bar actually saved me from falling so not sure its needed but can see why its there... If I was designing it it would have a bar.

And what's with the abundance of bubbles these days. You should have layers on its cold outside...
snow report
Person with poles could also wait...

My shoulders (as I'm female) aren't super wide - doubtless the average bloke could make space for a plough worthy of the name, I can't. Shoulders normally touching on chair though with just the bar between. Add a boarder in somewhere and it's really tight, usually for a couple of metres.

Getting off the lift it is more or less sardines- any plough would foul adjacent skiers with the rear of the skis, which are somewhat longer than those used by a small child. The available plough is utterly ineffective at slowing and highly likely to end up with crossed skis, which is bad at any time but especially in the offload area.

I'm not in a mad rush go go down the hill, I'm keen to remove myself from the high traffic area to a safe spot I can double check where we're going next and to remove my head from range of heavy metal thing chasing me from behind. Probably paranoid due to summer experiences not on skis but still if on the outside ducking is necessary on occasion.

Still yet to find a safe braking option in a row of 6 is the space left in the average French resort.

The issue is the the initial forward movement off the lift is provided by the lift whether you want it or not, fighting that is asking for pain, waiting longer to get off the chair (there's generally a very definite "now" moment or you're pointing at a wall, or dangling in mid air!)

Doesn't help that uplift is a necessary evil, I tolerate dangling from a cable so I can do something I enjoy and don't need additional adventures. No I don't generally bring the bar down (leave that to OH or others but am considerate if I have to) but will resist it going up until the signs/netting are present.
latest report
On the the subject of chairlift niggles it irritates me when you are getting on and the next group behind you slide forward too far and then decide to brake by pushing on the safety bar/cover causing it to crash down on the heads of those who just boarded it. Grrrrrrr
snow report
Quote:

it irritates me when you are getting on and the next group behind you slide forward too far and then decide to brake by pushing on the safety bar/cover causing it to crash down on the heads of those who just boarded it. Grrrrrrr

there's a lift here where that could happen but the lifties are very vigilant and I've never seen any disasters - they growl at anybody using the safety bar as a brake.
latest report
Its all starting to make sense... Ur skiing in France. Queing for ages, fighting aggressive frogs to get on lifts etc. Its not the poles that's really the problem its that there are too many people. Change venue to somewhere more civilised and you won't mind about someone using a pole...
latest report
Quote:

Ur skiing in France. Queing for ages, fighting aggressive frogs to get on lifts etc.

Laughing You go to the wrong places, old chap. I ski straight onto the lift more often than not and I mostly ski in France - whatever the country, you need to choose your times and places if you want to avoid lift queues. The worst I have ever encountered were actually in Scotland.

Was watching carefully again today and didn't see anybody using poles to push themselves off lifts.
snow report
polc1410 wrote:
Its all starting to make sense... Ur skiing in France. Queing for ages, fighting aggressive frogs to get on lifts etc. Its not the poles that's really the problem its that there are too many people. Change venue to somewhere more civilised and you won't mind about someone using a pole...

It's not the French who are aggressive in the lift queues, it's the Brits. The Brits who are outraged that no one is queuing in an orderly fashion, are stressing about their top sheets or being separated from others in their party (heaven forbid). Everyone else is just jostling along amicably, gabbing with friends and family. I hate British school holiday times when I'm skiing.
snow report
That's odd. You get a lot of Brits in Whistler and they are always polite and organized in the lift lines. It seems unlikely to me that the Brits who happen to go to France are in contrast rude and discourteous. When I've been riding in France it's mostly French kids I have to sort out, although I'll happily sort out yours too if they get in my face.
ski holidays
Just proved that people using poles to get of chairs are selfish gits. 3 on a 4 man fixed with travelator so fast for a fixed. Space between me and idiot, get off, he uses pole in front of me, I make a fractional plough to check, get wallopped on the ass by the lift and swung around 90 degrees to intended direction of travel. Somehowe stayed upright without taking out OH on other side.

As I said above my priority in getting off a chair is getting clear of the large thing chasing us and the faster fixed grip chairs don't give much chance to get out the way. Waiting is not an option!
snow report
@alicia, I have a friend who I will no longer go on a chair lift with, in fact I prefer to travel on at least 3 chairs after her! She insists on placing a ski pole between the skis of both the unfortunates on either side of her & invariabley chaos ensues Laughing Laughing She will not be told rolling eyes
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy