Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Using ski poles getting off the lifts

Poster: A snowHead
I cannot stand being next to someone who puts out the ski poles to push him or herself off the lift ..it causes so many accidents ..Has anyone else had this problem ? Shocked
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use poles quite often to get off the lift.In my thirty four years of skiing never caused an accident.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We can get a family of 4 on a 4 man chair and all use our poles to push off side by side and not fall over, we can also manage 3 skiers with poles and a boarder. I'm not sure it's a widespread problem. I've been hit more times by people faffing with their poles while trying to lift or close the bubble.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'll be honest...personally never seen anyone use poles to get off a lift! I can imagine it must cause a bit of chaos though! Surely the most sensible thing is to keep them in one hand Puzzled
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@pytek23, @lampygirl,

Whilst I can't say it's been a huge problem, twice in the last couple of years I've had skiers plant their poles between my skis when we were getting off. I'm reasonably strong, short and heavy, so I'm generally difficult to knock over but none-the-less I was up-ended on one of those occasions. You may believe yourselves skilled at its execution and that's ok, but I think there is an increasing number of muppets on the slopes who couldn't care less about others.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Why would anyone need poles to get off a lift. Just stand up.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Right or wrong, I use my poles. Quite short and find it hard sometime to get leverage off the chair without them. Never caused an accident to my knowledge!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@alicia, quite agree with you, can't see it necessary to push off with poles and just two days ago someone stuck their pole between my skis - nothing happened, but I felt it was just rather rude! Also can't stand the people who get on the lift and bang the barrier down with huge force before checking everyone else is ready - necessary to get it down swiftly, particularly with small children and we often end up on lifts with them, but not as if its a competition to see how many seconds it takes.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Pamski, +1 I always hold both my poles in one hand, vertically, off the snow. On one of our lifts we tend to go up with one small ski school person at the end. If it's me next to them I always give my poles to a companion, to have hands free to help if necessary - the very littlest tend to need helping off and maybe a steadying hand.

When skiing with my little grandchildren I ski with no poles to have hands free for them, and sometimes for photos.

An old woman (well, nearly as old as I) whacked me on the head with a pole the other day when she was performing the difficult manoevre of putting her gloves on.

There are a lot of skiers who would do well to spend a day without the wretched things, now and again. Twisted Evil
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@pam w, Good thing you had your helmet on. Toofy Grin snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

always hold both my poles in one hand, vertically, off the snow

I thought that's what everybody did. I've never been aware of use of poles, which certainly seems like asking for trouble.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@pam w, wink @alicia, never seen anyone do that, that I can recall. It's stupidity of the first water.

I would be mightily and vociferously annoyed if someone stuck their poles between my legs, even if not causing an upset. Twisted Evil Cool
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mozwold wrote:
@pytek23, @lampygirl,

Whilst I can't say it's been a huge problem, twice in the last couple of years I've had skiers plant their poles between my skis when we were getting off. I'm reasonably strong, short and heavy, so I'm generally difficult to knock over but none-the-less I was up-ended on one of those occasions. You may believe yourselves skilled at its execution and that's ok, but I think there is an increasing number of muppets on the slopes who couldn't care less about others.

I think "increasing number of muppets" is a biggest problem that modern skiing will have to face and using poles in a "dangerous" way is just one sign of it.Problem is with people attitude when they think that after week(often an hour) with instructor thye know everything about skiing.
I do believe while most of instructors do not realy care about educating how to behave on slopes,lifts etc only hrsh reaction from other skiers will help.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It can be useful in certain conditions. I hold both poles in one hand vertically and use them like that to push off once. Better than coming to a stop or trying to skate off.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm another who keeps both poles in one hand - I'm struggling to see how using your poles off a lift could help. I either just stand up off the lift, or place my hand behind and give myself a gentle push off from the chair seat. Each to their own I guess Smile
snow conditions
@alicia, @mozwold, @Pamski, @pam w, @laundryman, @FiFi_Trixibell, @under a new name, @Handy Turnip,

+1
snow report
Poles in weaker hand, push from seat of chair, duck and glide out of range, poles in use are just something extra to go wrong. The forward momentum of the chair and the slope of the offload area generally are enough to get out of range of the chair. Slowing down to avoid the boarders faffing with bindings in the path just wide enough for 6 leaving the 6 man chair is far more difficult than having enough exit speed in the first place IMO. Poles only used once out of formation with the other chair pax!
snow report
How weird. I've never seen anyone use their poles to get off a chair lift.
Maybe some are in a different dimension/universe.
I can't see how poles are any use at all in this situation.
snow report
I agree with @pam w, that it'd would do no harm to leave poles at home every now and then. As much as anything it's good for your skiing skills.
ski holidays
Never necessary or acceptable to use your poles getting off a lift. I simply can't understand why you would want to, and why anyone would not see it is dangerous and selfish.
latest report
pytek23 wrote:
I use poles quite often to get off the lift. In my thirty four years of skiing never had an accident.

But I've seen hundreds.

FIFY Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Chairs used to be designed with more of a downslope on landing than they seem to have these days...
snow conditions
I was taught to use my poles, but now I just push off the chair with one hand, it gets enough speed up (usually) to escape any pole wielding maniacs.
ski holidays
Quote:

Chairs used to be designed with more of a downslope on landing than they seem to have these days...

^this, especially the big 6/8 man chairs where the exit is at a right angle to the lift line.
snow report
Strengthen your core ffs and be able to stand up without need an extra push...
It just goes to show how under-prepared some people are for exercise.

@thecramps's list, +1
snow conditions
@Arctic Roll, +1......

Hang on, this could get complicated. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
@thecramps, +1

agreed Toofy Grin
latest report
thecramps wrote:
@alicia, @mozwold, @Pamski, @pam w, @laundryman, @FiFi_Trixibell, @under a new name, @Handy Turnip,

+1

+ another. Never seen it. And I would be pi$$ed off if someone placed their pole between my skis too.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Its horses for courses, some skiers are proficicent in skiin g the rest are fools , and should stay at home

Ity doesn't really matter as from 1/1/2016 skiing is banned world wide Toofy Grin
snow report
I'd be quite worried about not being able to rise to a standing position from sitting on a chair without using a hand tbh - not a good indication of normal health/strength! It's not like that requires abs of steel.
ski holidays
As a boarder, I can't say what motivates skiers.

Personally though, when I exit a chair lift, I'll often pedal hard with my free foot, so I scoot forward. That gets me safely away from people and sticks (planted or otherwise) behind me. So that may be why they do it. I guess you'd have to watch you don't get your sticks caught under the chair.

As to "do they actually do it", I've no idea - they're all behind me, as above.
latest report
Never thought of this before but was watching today, having read this thread earlier. Didn't see anybody pushing with poles to get off the lift. I realise that I hold mine in one hand, resting on my shoulder till I'm well clear of the off ramp, then hold one in each hand (I don't use straps, so no faffing there). You can always use your free hand to give a push on the chair if you need. I used to think much harder about getting off on a snowboard - you need a confident push up and stomp onto your front foot and I always shoved with my hand too (I was just a beginner so always a bit nerve-wracked getting off).
snow conditions
What I find weird is that by far the easiest thing to do is simply push off with your unpoled hand from the chair. If necessary.

Or just allow the chair to push you forward.

I do not understand the difficulty.
snow conditions
I just think that using your poles to move you away away from the lift if there isn't much downslope is less likely to cause a faff than trying to skate with skis at an angle. I know if I have my feet together and a pole to either side I am narrower than with my feet out at a skating angle and therefore feel less like I'm in the way. It's how I was shown and as I've never encountered a problem I was unaware it was one. we all stand up hands free, just use them to move away. Sorry to everyone if this is wrong.
snow report
Um. Perhaps these people are simply afraid of falling over, and use their sticks to stop that happening? They must carry them around for something, and it's nothing to do with balance or position for 99% of skiers.
ski holidays
Skiers slate snowboarders for been unruly thugs and out of control.

Over last 6 weeks on snow I have seen more skiers taken away on a snow mobile injured than snowboarders, and witnessed 90% of the incicents were self induced or caused by OUT OF CONTROL SKIERS

Once they learn snow plough they think they can ski
ski holidays
@lampygirl, depends where you ski, I suppose. I can't recall any off ramp where you have to skate.
ski holidays
winterfunman wrote:
Skiers slate snowboarders for been unruly thugs and out of control....Once they learn snow plough they think they can ski

No, just unruly thugs snowHead

And jealous cos they can't even manage a snowplough Razz
latest report
pam w wrote:
@lampygirl, depends where you ski, I suppose. I can't recall any off ramp where you have to skate.

+1 - not sure I can remember having to do anything other than get off the lift and let gravity take over. Although being on the tall side can make it a bit of a heave to get the first bit of standing up done if the seat is low/snow high!

Never even though of anyone using poles though.
snow report
I did get off one 6 man chair today, with 6 people on it, and wondered about the mayhem which would be the result of 12 sticks being walloped around. It was a brand new chair though so the off ramp was beautifully engineered. Chair stops very briefly and releases the bar (impossible to open it before) then very gentle deposits you on the top of a gentle but positive run off.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy