Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Michael Schumacher's accident persuaded people to buy ski helmets. Really?

Poster: A snowHead
The helmets are rubbish compared to a hockey helmet.

You wouldn't want a 90mph puck to the head in a ski helmet, yet the hockey lid just brushes it off. The ski helmets I've looked at have substandard materials/poor protection, it's just for looks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
halfhand wrote:
Quote:

"You must always adopt and follow the appropriate and recommended safety precautions when undertaking any
winter sport activity inclusive of, but not limited to, the wearing of a safety helmet."

Could prompt a legal challenge?

Why? - they are policy conditions - you don't have to buy it. If you do you have accepted the terms of the contract.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

It's there in R6 on p30 of their policy booklet: "You must always adopt and follow the appropriate and recommended safety precautions when undertaking any
winter sport activity inclusive of, but not limited to, the wearing of a safety helmet."

This clause has been added by InsureAndGo recently; it was not in my policy document last year.

Michael Schumacher's accident did in fact persuade me to start wearing a ski helmet.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scrumpy wrote:
halfhand wrote:
Quote:

"You must always adopt and follow the appropriate and recommended safety precautions when undertaking any

Why? - they are policy conditions - you don't have to buy it. If you do you have accepted the terms of the contract.

Because it is not a legal requirement for an adult to wear a helmet and as such this term within the policy could be deemed as being unfair as it tries to impose on a person something that is not legally required. T&C must be fair for both parties as it is a contract between two parties.

Also if someone fell damaged their helmet and it was not wearable ( or a parent gave their child their own helmet after the child damaged theirs )but they could still ski down how would they stand re these T&C if they then fell and sustained an injury ? Could the insurer really refuse to pay out ? after all how many shops do you see up on the slopes selling ski gear.
Regarding the point of view as a parent it is a legal requirement that a child does wear a helmet so to give yours to your child is observing a law which supersedes any company's T&C.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I just renewed my Insure&Go annual policy and was surprised to hear about the clause requiring helmets and checked the wording. Not sure on what grounds a legal challenge could be raised. Safety experts are in favour and insurance companies can generally impose any rules they like to reduce the perceived risks. I think it would be hard to prove that the helmet was a problem unless your religion requires the wearing of a turban e.g. as for riding a motorbike. I think the open ended wording could be used to include any device or clothing that the company thinks is necessary e.g. goggles not sunglasses, back protectors if using the park etc.

Any excuse for the insurance industry to take your money and then refuse to pay up!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@nigelg, So they are jumping on the bandwagon then? What evidence have this company access to in order to set this condition?

MS's accident did not make me buy and wear a helmet when skiing but I can see why it would for others
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
was his go-pro attached to his bobble hat? or did I miss something?

my observations were that a big majority were already wearing helmets anyway.of the minority that weren't 2 seasons ago, I guess some decided to get around to getting one anyway, and a few prompted by high profile accidents.

mine was impulse buy and cos they keep yer head warmer. and at 6ft3, I have to agree that they're handy on ye olde worlde 2 man fixed chairs that always have a bar right at head height.

given how insurance companies like to weasel their way out of liabilities, I can understand them sneaking in such conditions.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
speed098 wrote:
is a legal requirement that a child does wear a helmet so to give yours to your child is observing a law which supersedes any company's T&C.

This is law in Italy and Austria but not any other country AFAIK. Lots of ski schools however mandate then for children.
In the UK it's law for under 12's riding a horse but not for adults but is highly recommended.

I think it's an interesting point over giving your helmet to a child whose helmet is lost/broken since it's unlikely to fit and potentially causes more problems for the child than skiing to somewhere which allows you to leave the mountain safely without one. That would be an interesting case in law for both the non use by the child and the breach of the policy in the event of an accident!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@tarrantd, Under 14s must wear a helmet when riding a horse on the road.

My 24 year old son was converted to helmet use on skis by the Schumacher incident.

I think they are of minimal effectiveness, but a great place to park goggles.

I do not care who wears them or not. I do. So what?

snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Chris Bish, +1.

I wear one too.

Getting fed up with CG's specious pontifications where he implies that my choice is ignorant and that I am being suckered into some frankly comical conspiracy but "the helmet industry".
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thecramps wrote:
@Chris Bish, +1.

I wear one too.

Getting fed up with CG's pontifications where he implies that my choice is ignorant and that I am being suckered into some frankly comical conspiracy but "the helmet industry".

Given DG's pontificating on the subject you'd be forgiven for thinking that wearing a helmet is actually damaging to one's health.

Actually scratch that, I'm sure he could make a multi-paragraphed opinion that it actually is more dangerous.

I like wearing a helmet 'cos it keeps my head warm, stops my goggles steaming when on my head, it looks great with my goggles, stops me getting a headache when bumped on the noggin by the chairlift bar, and stops me having a cold frozen material stuck to my head in freezing snow. I'll have to get over the fact that the odd one or two find it a real shame I or others choose to wear a helmet.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
speed098 wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:
halfhand wrote:
Quote:

Because it is not a legal requirement for an adult to wear a helmet and as such this term within the policy could be deemed as being unfair as it tries to impose on a person something that is not legally required. T&C must be fair for both parties as it is a contract between two parties.

Also if someone fell damaged their helmet and it was not wearable ( or a parent gave their child their own helmet after the child damaged theirs )but they could still ski down how would they stand re these T&C if they then fell and sustained an injury ? Could the insurer really refuse to pay out ? after all how many shops do you see up on the slopes selling ski gear.
Regarding the point of view as a parent it is a legal requirement that a child does wear a helmet so to give yours to your child is observing a law which supersedes any company's T&C.

Sorry but that is utter tosh IMHO! Look at any house, travel, motor or life policy and you will see dozens of conditions that are not legal requirements. As for your practical example no insurer would get away with refusing a claim where the insured had taken reasonable steps to comply with a policy condition.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well I don't agree with DG and his "everyone is anti helmet tripe", however I don't currently wear a helmet, have never in all my years been bumped on the noggin by a chairlift bar, never had a cold head and never seen stars despite many a yard sale crash.

Just saying.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ansta1, the lift bar thing happens at least twice a holiday to me. You must be shorter than me. Madeye-Smiley

Whatever happened with those beanies that had panels of a gel that behaved like a Non-Newtonian fluid on impact?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@PeteMan, +1
snow conditions
@ansta1, you've never been hit on the head by a chairlift bar? Never? In your life?

Incredible scenes. You must have spider like reflexes. Either that or I'm a klutz, I get whacked at least once a week.
snow conditions
@thecramps, am only 5ft 10 and 3/4 inches.

Pack my beanies with birds custard. Finest non-newtonian fluid per pence.
ski holidays
not just chairlift bars that you smack your head on
tops of those stupid bubble/egg things that are designed for pygmies
fortunately they're replacing them with proper man-size gondolas now
snow report
Dav wrote:
@ansta1, you've never been hit on the head by a chairlift bar? Never? In your life?

Incredible scenes. You must have spider like reflexes. Either that or I'm a klutz, I get whacked at least once a week.

Interestingly I get my helmet hit by the bar most days but can't remember ever getting hit on the head before. Perhaps I was more careful before?
snow conditions
tarrantd wrote:
Dav wrote:

Interestingly I get my helmet hit by the bar most days but can't remember ever getting hit on the head before. Perhaps I was more careful before?

Come on, this is a family forum, no need for the smut.
ski holidays
@Dav, Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
@Dav, LOL
snow report
Actually, does this make CG's comments about "the helmet industry" shed an all together different light.
ski holidays
@tarrantd, in honesty though, I must be a clumsy oaf. I can remember the times when I wore a beanie on the slopes all the time and I used to crack the old skull on the chairlift even then.

I don't know if a ski helmet does me any good or not. My thinking is that is does me no harm and I find it really comfortable. If others want to wear different that's entirely up to them, I'd never infringe on that at all, everyone should do what they think is safest IMO.

Edit: Always nice to see a fellow resident from the best footballing city on the south coast Very Happy
snow report
Off Topic @Dav, Sorry not really a football fan and although I live down here I'm originally from Wiltshire and my Dad was a Bristol City Fan (can't win them all)!
snow conditions
Booooooooooooo!!!!
ski holidays
@tarrantd,

I was saying re giving the child the parents helmet on the proviso that it did fit correctly. Yes more limited but still a scenario that could happen so does the parent say they are skiing in Italy break the law, or do they risk having issues with the insurance company ?

And for the record I do wear a helmet and think it is great still out on just how effective it would be with a serious impact while I am skiing but till evidence comes out if ever saying that they have zero benefit or minimal I will continue to wear one if for no other reason but to show my daughter that if she has to wear one so will I.
ski holidays
@speed098, I will deem from what you say that for me a helmet is correctly fitted better but worse out on serious impact but with trees and though regarding safety helpful though not except though my children when ski.

Are you Yoda?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FullyTucked wrote:
I have took it upon myself to approach people on the piste that aren't wearing a helmet and give them a good telling off.I no longer get much time to ski but it's worth it to save people's lives.How dare they risk lives just because they want to appear fashionable.So selfish.

Why would you do that? do please tell me just why you would do that? Oh wait , your pulling my leg.............. lol. You do know if anyone approached me and I am a friendly little terrier, and tried to enforce their fear of the mountain on me, I would be so rude.... I would be ashamed of myself and my good upbringing how rude I could be.
latest report
thecramps wrote:
@speed098, I will deem from what you say that for me a helmet is correctly fitted better but worse out on serious impact but with trees and though regarding safety helpful though not except though my children when ski.

Are you Yoda?

“Not if anything to say about it I have”

“Fear is the path to the dark slide. Fear lowers two angles. Angles lessened turn to hate. Hate leads to snowboarding.”

NehNeh
snow report
tarrantd wrote:
Interestingly I get my helmet hit by the bar most days but can't remember ever getting hit on the head before.

Aha! Concussion! Shocked
latest report
I never would get my helmet hit by the bar, because if I was tall enough I would be smart enough to duck, but I am only short so it would never be a worry.. Off piste dealing with rocks and cliffs I can understand a helmet, but to protect the head from lift bars, I don't get that at all. Or on blue runs, or red runs, or black runs, or just off the piste, free riding yup I get it, a helmet is wise, or if you do a lot of play park stuff, ok I get that, . Back protecters, helmets, and full gear for a fight with the romans, on a blue run while snow ploughing, nope sorry can't get that, if you are that scared take up chess.
snow report
Dav wrote:

Nope, never.
snow conditions
Just a random (but I think very relevant) question to pop into this thread ...

It relates specifically to British-run ski schools in the Alps (or elsewhere, if they exist) of which I think there are quite a few:

1. Which British ski schools make helmets compulsory for children?
2. Which British ski schools make helmets compulsory for adults?
3. Which British ski schools make helmets compulsory for their instructors (working with adults)?
4. Which British ski schools make helmets compulsory for their instructors (working with children)?

[that's enough questions - ed.]
snow conditions
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
Just a random (but I think very relevant) question to pop into this thread ...

It relates specifically to British-run ski schools in the Alps (or elsewhere, if they exist) of which I think there are quite a few:

1. Which British ski schools make helmets compulsory for children?
2. Which British ski schools make helmets compulsory for adults?
3. Which British ski schools make helmets compulsory for their instructors (working with adults)?
4. Which British ski schools make helmets compulsory for their instructors (working with children)?

[that's enough questions - ed.]

That's four questions.

No matter, the answer to all of them is - "Don't know, don't care."
snow conditions
Fair enough. I assume you have some interest in Michael Schumacher and skiing with or without a helmet.

Here's a very recent [Mirror.co.uk] update on his situation, with a somewhat aposite ski photo ...

Michael Schumacher latest news: F1 star 'cries when he hears voices of wife and kids'
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formula-1/michael-schumacher-latest-news-f1-4911629
snow report
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
Fair enough. I assume you have some interest in Michael Schumacher and skiing with or without a helmet.

Here's a very recent [Mirror.co.uk] update on his situation, with a somewhat aposite ski photo ...

Michael Schumacher latest news: F1 star 'cries when he hears voices of wife and kids'
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formula-1/michael-schumacher-latest-news-f1-4911629

I ski and have been wearing a helmet for the last two seasons.
I, of course, wish for the best for Michael Schumacher and his family.

If there are any lessons to be drawn from one incident, however tragic, I think in this case it's more on the lines of - be very careful off piste, including those bits between the marked runs where rocks may lurk - rather than anything to do with helmet wearing.
latest report
ski holidays
andy wrote:
not just chairlift bars that you smack your head on
tops of those stupid bubble/egg things that are designed for pygmies
fortunately they're replacing them with proper man-size gondolas now

Two seasons ago a bought myself a new white helmet to match my retro skis.
It came with a thin blue stripe, it only needed a red strip to match the graphics on my skis but I did not get round to it.
On getting into the ridiculous Platiers back to back bubble at Meribel I scraped my helmet. Later inspection showed I had applied a red stripe.
The bubble may have been replaced now.
latest report
Dav wrote:

me neither but now you mention it I will take care of them in future.

As for MS persuading people to buy helmets, I can't think of a worse example.

I'm sure there are lots of good examples however.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy