Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Michael Schumacher's accident persuaded people to buy ski helmets. Really?

Poster: A snowHead
[Thread title edited 5 Jan. Originally "Michael Schumacher persuaded people to buy ski helmets. Really?"]

The title of this thread is, of course, inaccurate and misleading. Since 29 December 2013 (369 days ago) Michael Schumacher has been in no position to persuade anyone to do anything. He has, one assumes, not said a single word.

But it's interesting how his experience is exploited.

This PlanetSki article ...

89% of skiers in Switzerland wear a helmet
http://www.planetski.eu/news/6595

... in particular its headline and opening paragraphs ... are reminders of the 'new journalistic imperative' when it comes to (subtle) helmet promotion. Minimise the scientific analysis - because it's going nowhere - but maximise the bandwagon awareness.

Quote:
The statistics gathered show that 91% of Swiss nationals wear a helmet and 84% of foreign visitors to the Swiss mountains ... The accident of Michael Schumacher had a significant impact.

Beware. The ski helmet industry will not rest its case/lid until everyone is in a sodding helmet. It cannot afford to have any opinion leader in skiing (even a mute one) doing anything but remind us that helmets are essential ... [and wouldn't it be convenient for them to be mandatory] ...

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 5-01-15 12:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

My BASI trainer (1975) Ali Ross with a new DVD and helmet.

Konrad Bartelski (helmeted for competition in his DH ski racing days) takes an alternative view [see the comments beneath the photo].

Each opinion leader to his own.

For interest, (though Sue expresses no view on the lid) Sue Dickson is the mother of ex-Olympic ski racer Alain Baxter and a hugely experienced BASI instructor/trainer.

----------------

To see Ali without a helmet ... at least at the time of writing! ...
http://www.alirossskiingclinics.com/

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 2-01-15 12:14; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
im not sure i see your point here
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I love the bobble hat comment, I remember how much fun it was buying hats that were more outrageous than any hat you would normally wear, but the coolest hats were the stupid ones. Now I just wear a multi-coloured bobble hat.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I used to be against wearing a helmet, and was all about my beanie, but the past year I've changed.

When I thought about it, I wouldn't get on my mountain bike without a helmet, so why would I on skis?

I'm also hitting late 20's and I'm basically a grandad which may have something to do with it!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ali seems to be demonstrating a bit of an A-frame there
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Daleybou1234 wrote:
When I thought about it, I wouldn't get on my mountain bike without a helmet, so why would I on skis?

This, especially since I really try not to fall off a bike, but know I'm not trying hard enough if I don't fall over skiing!

Still using the brightly coloured hat for outdoor apres.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 2-01-15 14:27; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@fullenglish, Of course, and I still wear bright orange ski pants and a lime green down jackets Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I ski off piste when poss, often in trees. Wednesday saw yet another day that I was very glad I had a helmet on.

Innocuous pre-release, park'n'fly, headbutting a tree on way down. Would have at least been painful sans lid.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
... headbutting a tree on way down. Would have at least been painful sans lid.

Correct. Can be fatal ... with or without a lid, because a helmet's protection to the brain is very limited.

Don't ski trees without being pretty certain you can avoid them. Ski control is everything!

-----------------------------------------------

This new article on sporttechie.com ...

The 5 Most Important Ways Technology Forever Changed Sports in 2014
http://www.sporttechie.com/2015/01/01/the-5-most-important-ways-technology-forever-changed-sports-in-2014/

... has a section on 'smart helmets', currently under development for the NFL in America but with possible skiing applications.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mrs L headbutted me yesterday, when pulled over by our increasingly powerful dog who she was attempting to control by the collar. She came off worse than yours truly. Should've been wearing a helmet. wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A helmet thead!!? I guess it's been a while rolling eyes Let me grab the popcorn.... Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's very tame, so far. Nobody has thown in a catch comment. I seem to have missed the famous helmet threads have I missed something ? should I search for them?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

Beware. The ski helmet industry will not rest its case/lid until everyone is in a sodding helmet. It cannot afford to have any opinion leader in skiing (even a mute one) doing anything but remind us that helmets are essential ... [and wouldn't it be convenient for them to be mandatory] ...

I don't give a rats ar$e whether you wear a helmet or not.
snow report
The article also says:
Quote:
The increase has been welcomed by safety experts, though it is worth noting that despite the sharp increase in people wearing a helmet that has been no corresponding decrease in serious head injuries.

There is some evidence to suggest that they make a significant difference to low-impact falls but offer limited protection in high-speed accidents.

This seems to back up things said in previous threads on snowHeads. I admit that I've been wearing one for the last couple of years but mainly to keep other people happy Smile
snow conditions
Handy Turnip wrote:
A helmet thead!!? I guess it's been a while rolling eyes Let me grab the popcorn.... Twisted Evil

Don't see why it causes such an issue. THose that don't like them are entitled to not wear them, and those of us that prefer to have them are also entitled to wear them. Don't quite understand why either party feels the need to persuade the other party to do things differently.

I know that I don't get a lot of protection from a helmet, but at least it gives me something more than just my hair does.
ski holidays
Doing well so far. 17 replies and no one has abused CG yet or suggested he be banned from snowHead s. You're (side)slipping David Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
I have to say, they do protect you from the chairlift bar as well. Though the extra inch of height means slightly more collisions IME.

On a more serious note, as helmet use increases, concussion awareness needs to rise in adjunction with helmet use. The cases where someone bruises or cracks their skull will decline, but the damage on the inside may be just as bad, and be harder to diagnose. Some quite severe brain injuries can be symptomless for hours after impact.

Played and coached American Football for 8 years, didn't see a single skull fracture, but dozens and dozens of concussions of various severity. I've not seen a ski helmet that comes close to the protection of most AF helmets.
snow report
A bit of extra height on your head can make a big difference to number of impacts with bars etc. I know this from some painful (non skiing) incidents wearing a baseball cap. A low doorway I'll happily walk through hundreds of times can be a source repeated pain wearing a baseball cap.

Goes to show how well you know how tall your head is and your skill at judging how far to duck, if the extra 1/4" of the baseball cap's button leads to impacts!

Obviously 1" of helmet is much worse as I can attest to following impacts with bars (both chairlift bars and doors on way into apres bars...)

At least with helmet the impact doesn't really hurt your head, but I have to say I did get a sore neck from one particularly vicious chairlift.
ski holidays
I've always found that extra 1" of helmet to be very useful. Toofy Grin
latest report

halfhand wrote:
Doing well so far. 17 replies and no one has abused CG yet ...

Not on here, but a rogue SCGB director continues attacking sH helmet threads on the SCGB chat forum:

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/snowtalk/discussion.aspx/Skiing-And-Snowboarding-general?discussionID=15011#.VKa3H8lCjQo

snow report
I have took it upon myself to approach people on the piste that aren't wearing a helmet and give them a good telling off.I no longer get much time to ski but it's worth it to save people's lives.How dare they risk lives just because they want to appear fashionable.So selfish.
snow report
@Comedy Goldsmith, it wasn't a very big tree. And I can control myself quite well thank you.
snow report
Whilst looking for insurance this year I noted that Insure & Go REQUIRE the wearing of a helmet for their snowsports cover not to be invalidated !
snow conditions
Scrumpy wrote:
Whilst looking for insurance this year I noted that Insure & Go REQUIRE the wearing of a helmet for their snowsports cover not to be invalidated !

That's completely new to me. Could you please point us to the Insure and Go policy wording which confirms that.
ski holidays
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

This would be extremely bad news for the knitters of woolly hats Toofy Grin snowHead
latest report
It's there in R6 on p30 of their policy booklet: "You must always adopt and follow the appropriate and recommended safety precautions when undertaking any
winter sport activity inclusive of, but not limited to, the wearing of a safety helmet."
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Daleybou1234 wrote:
I used to be against wearing a helmet, and was all about my beanie, but the past year I've changed.

I'm also hitting late 20's and I'm basically a grandad which may have something to do with it!

+1

Schmachers accident persuaded me, ... well my dad enough to get me one and the last year i've converted for most days skiing, unless im nursing some people on the gentle blues, just too hot then!!

I also did note that at the Tamworth snodome, they require you to wear a helmet to go on the kickers and rails, not that they seemed to police it when I rebelled. Toofy Grin
latest report
fullenglish wrote:
I have to say, they do protect you from the chairlift bar as well. Though the extra inch of height means slightly more collisions IME.

On a more serious note, as helmet use increases, concussion awareness needs to rise in adjunction with helmet use. The cases where someone bruises or cracks their skull will decline, but the damage on the inside may be just as bad, and be harder to diagnose. Some quite severe brain injuries can be symptomless for hours after impact.

Played and coached American Football for 8 years, didn't see a single skull fracture, but dozens and dozens of concussions of various severity. I've not seen a ski helmet that comes close to the protection of most AF helmets.

Indeed, I believe that amateur boxing has dispensed with head guards because the added weight meant that it was easier to get a concussion. Helmets don't, by any stretch of the imagination, make the sport safe, but IMO they are better than nothing.
snow report
@Comedy Goldsmith, Andy from Embsay nailed it above.
snow report
IMO anyone that skis without one is either an anarchist or needs their head examining............
snow report
We used to drive cars without seat belts...
snow conditions
The helmets are rubbish compared to a hockey helmet.

You wouldn't want a 90mph puck to the head in a ski helmet, yet the hockey lid just brushes it off. The ski helmets I've looked at have substandard materials/poor protection, it's just for looks.
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/MSVTOMkJdqs
ski holidays
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

halfhand wrote:
Doing well so far. 17 replies and no one has abused CG yet ...

Not on here, but a rogue SCGB director continues attacking sH helmet threads on the SCGB chat forum:

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/snowtalk/discussion.aspx/Skiing-And-Snowboarding-general?discussionID=15011#.VKa3H8lCjQo

Wow - I hope you gave him what-for on the forum that he posted that attack on you.
latest report
Quote:

Gerry Aitken
View profile
Posted: 02 Jan 2015 11:40
The rabid, not to mention pathetically pun ridden, anti-helmet industry campaign continues unabated in 2015:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=115452#2642541

Nice to see how his creative writing skills allow him to be so eloquent. Wonder if his pottery makes him potty, or his basket weaving a basket case. Surely he would be better of not beating about the bush and just skip to the point whatever it may be after all this pussyfooting around just blows all the wrong whistles and embroiders Confused a feeling of disrespect. NehNeh

Last one got a bit harder but maybe I should have just created a bit more space to sit back and observe my non-creative writing Shocked
snow conditions
Quote:

"You must always adopt and follow the appropriate and recommended safety precautions when undertaking any
winter sport activity inclusive of, but not limited to, the wearing of a safety helmet."

Could prompt a legal challenge?
ski holidays
I am assuming the "article" referred to is this one :- http://www.planetski.eu/news/6573

If so, irrespective of the discussions between pjski and cg, i find the suggestion that the helmet would have made a huge difference given that, at least according to the article, the person was going fast enough to send him 13m into the air!
latest report
Quote:

13m into the air!

Incredible Puzzled
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy