Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wish I never looked!

Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys,

bored at work so thought I would have a look to see what deals Crystal were throwing out for the xmas week we are going to VT. They are doing the exact same chalet and travel for £300 PP less than what we paid!

I know booking early is not always the best but I am surprised Xmas week is still available.

DOH! Embarassed
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Poor early season snow reports = fire sale now. TO pricing is always a gamble whenever you roll the dice.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
TBH I was expecting maybe £100 PP less but not £300. Maybe we will be the only ones in the Chalet LOL
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
that is a bit of an unfortunate, with the slow start youll probably not be the only ones out there that have found this.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@chrisrawles, I am only surprised in that VT is one of the few areas that currently have anything like decent snow.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Once you've booked never, EVER check the prices again. You'll only upset yourself.

There's always late deals for x-mass week. Some years (like this year) they're better than others. It depends on the snow and where x-mass falls within the week. So if x-mass is late in the week like this year, there's usually more deals. SkiWorld have catered chalets under £400... only the lack of a dog sitter is preventing me snapping their hand off.
New-Year isn't usually the same.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I did a little exercise and looked for the following week which would be NYE week and there is nothing to be had.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@chrisrawles, New Year week is always sold out at this point.

Strangely enough, I just checked the Chalet in La Tania I'm booked into. It is all booked up for when I go on the 10th January, but there are still 4 rooms left on Christmas week.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think Xmas next year will be different due to the way it falls.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Once you've booked never, EVER check the prices again. You'll only upset yourself.

This + 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I just checked mine. and the TO £150 PP discount still makes it more expensive than my DIY price Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
chrisrawles wrote:
I think Xmas next year will be different due to the way it falls.

I think it'll be the same. X-mass week will be 19th-26th so still effectivly early. If its early it doesn't include a lot of peoples holiday. For instance we close from Chrismas Eve untill New Year so I'd have to take extra time off.
2016 will be "late" as it'll run 24th-31st and a) more snow sure and b) within most/more peoples x-mass holidays.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Generally pays to book late for Christmas, both to know where the snow is, and for last minute bargains - provided you're flexible. If you have your heart set on a particular spot it obviously make sense to book but then NOT to look either at the last minute bargains or the snow depths. wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Christmas before last we waited to book last min for VT. Ended up with nasty self catering appt for £499 each. Sad Had to be VT as elder daughter was working there.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
adithorp wrote:

Absolutely this. Also, never ask anyone in your hotel what they paid for the week. Guarantee it will be less than you.
snow report
HoneyBunny wrote:
adithorp wrote:

Absolutely this. Also, never ask anyone in your hotel what they paid for the week. Guarantee it will be less than you.

Couldn't agree more, and even more important in a chalet, we once had a couple of guys ask us as they realised that we had booked late, one of them proceeded to sulk for the next couple days because we had spent about £250 less!
ski holidays
It's so hard not to check though!
We booked DIY this year as Crystal's prices were too high. Their current deal means we would have paid the same to go with them, but we have 8 nights, 8 days skiing, no early start on the day to we head home and have a car so we can stock up with the lower valley prices. So all in all still a win in my book! (We are off 16th Jan though no Christmas)
snow report
I definitely wont be looking. At All. Ever. We booked with quite specific requirements to cater for a mix of skiiers and total non-skiiers in a chalet for the 8 of us during christmas week. My Husband and I def paid more that we normally do so that we could obviously guarantee the holiday for the family as a group but I know if it was just the 2 of us, we'd have found something much cheaper last minute. Bah! ahh well, just pretend we didn't use the credit card a lot and all will be ok... Shocked
ski holidays
I try my best not to check but a couple of seasons ago Iglu Ski emailed me details of my holiday 2 days after booking £1000 cheaper (3 people)

I now refuse to use them!
latest report
Maybe as a full price punter you will get the best room/s Very Happy
snow report
It seems, well, not well thought out to me.

So you buy something at what you feel is a fair price. But then you continue to monitor the price, and if it goes down you feel bad. Presumably you are hoping to feel even better if it goes up. If so, that's a game you choose to play. The only reason I could imagine to to continue to look at the price of anything would be to learn how buy better next time... but it makes more sense to put that work in before you spend, no?

Broadly you either take the risk that it won't snow or that someone else will pay less than you, and trade it against the risk of not being able to pick and choose precisely where you go. You can't have both. You can have your favourite hotel, but it may not snow there. You can pay for a room to be sure you'll get one, but you'll risk someone else getting a similar room for less than the rack rate.

It's a personal choice. Me, I don't want to spend time and money in a ski resort with no snow under any circumstances: that's a risk I can't take. So I won't book far in advance. The fear of not being able to get anywhere? I have a car, the mountains are 13 hours drive away... and then there are scheduled airlines and a whole world...
snow report
Quote:

You can't have both. You can have your favourite hotel, but it may not snow there. You can pay for a room to be sure you'll get one, but you'll risk someone else getting a similar room for less than the rack rate.

this. Plus you risk someone else getting a room for less AND having poor snow conditions. wink
latest report
So far the rules to avoid disapointment are...
1) Once you've booked, never, EVER look at th prices again
2) When youget there, don't ask what others have paid.

Seeing as I can't go this x-mas should there be a rule 3... "If you can't go, don't look what deals you're missing"?
As I'm already pissed off anyway, am I making it worse?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy