Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salzburgerland to Clamp Down on 'Illegal' Ski Instructors

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As a teacher I don't really get the Halsbury thing - it's the main reason I don't use them. I feel that my pupils learn better from a local, even if their English isn't that fluent. In Feb I'm taking the ASCL course, which enables me to lead my pupils on the mountain, outside their normal lessons - or does it, in France or now Austria?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@flangesax, Cheers for posting that.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
daveyladboy wrote:
As a teacher I don't really get the Halsbury thing - it's the main reason I don't use them. I feel that my pupils learn better from a local, even if their English isn't that fluent.

Why? Aside from local knowledge what are kids going to get from instructor A that they're not going to get from instructor B? I'm not trying to pick a fight, I'm genuinely asking.

Last year I was with a school that, for whatever reason, wanted to ski at 3 different resorts over the course of their week. They're not going to get local instructors to stick with their group while doing that.

Also worth saying that while the local instructors did ask us about who we were, as soon as we told them we were all qualified (some BASI, some CSIA) they were only too happy to have us there.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I feel that if you use Halsbury you have to pay a premium to transport, accommodate & feed an English instructor. I must say that 75% of the company reps we have no choice but to take with us have been pretty much an extra passenger who rarely earn their keep either. I think that local instructors know their mountain, the lifties, the restaurateurs, the weather, the language, the danger spots, the local emergency arrangements etc, and that culturally my pupils benefit more and enjoy the interaction with Swiss, Austrian and Italian instructors more. I understand that Snowsport England recommend that school pupils have instruction from local ski schools.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I once got a rollicking for skiing with a group of friends in above "St Johan in Pongau"

I was told off by Ziggy who owned the local ski school and almost all the hotels in nearby St Viet.

He thought I was an itinerant ski instructor with a group from Italy or France.. I felt pretty good that he thought my skiing was that good..
my Oirish friends felt disappointed to be reclassified as Italian or French!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Last year I was with a school that, for whatever reason, wanted to ski at 3 different resorts over the course of their week. They're not going to get local instructors to stick with their group while doing that.

For any groups with a coach at hand we often ski at different areas every day.
Either we choose and recommend the area or some of the leaders may have been before and want to go there.
There is absolutely no restriction for any school just to use their 'local' mountain.

We have always travelled about the area with our groups.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@daveyladboy, +1 - could not agree more - part of a trip especially a school trip should be interacting with locals - get so much more out of trip in so many ways.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy