Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Finally Dolomiti :) Ortisei , Selva , Castelrotto or St.Christina?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

After for more than 10 years saying i want to go and visit the Dolomiti , just booked flights from Stansted-Bergamo on the 30/01/15 that arrives at 19.00 and Bergamo-Lisbon (i,m Portuguese) on the 05/01/15 that departs at 11.00.

Last year had all booked up to Avoriaz but got sick and never made it Sad

So we are a couple looking for snowboarding and romance snowHead

I'm flying to Bergamo because it's easier for conections to come back to Lisbon and going on friday because that's the day i finish work on the ferries in the Dover Channel. Hiring a car so can go almost everywhere i want. Shame that i'll be doing the trip at night after hire the car. Got a quote of 81.00 £ which for 6 days is perfect!

From previous searchs i've seen that transfers can be little bit dificult , time-consuming and not many options specially during the week.

So we have 5 full days in resort to have fun Very Happy

Looking for advice on where to go , Val Gardena or Alpe di Susi? Arabba maybe? Looking for cheapish accomodation , not too fused about it...

Mixing of sightseeing and snowboarding with romantic touch Cool

I'm experienced but my girlfriend it's "advanced beginner". Nice restaurants , comfortable accomodation and scenery it's what we looking for.

Any tips for the car trip? Maybe not worth buying dolomiti superpass because it's only 5 days and i think val gardena/alpe di siusi has 175 km...

Thank you very much in any input given Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi. We visit the Val Gardena Valley most years. If you're looking to access the Sella Ronda area without spending more than you have to, you could go for Val di Fassa. Canazei or Campitello will give you one lift access straight onto the SR. It's easy skiing then to all of the villages that you've mentioned above. Campitello especially, is good value.

Of the Val Gardena villages, Selva is the best positioned being slap bang on the Sella Ronda. Forget Alpe di Suisi, it's a field in the clouds miles from anywhere. Madeye-Smiley

Defo buy a Superski pass, you'll go nowhere on an area pass.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mollerski wrote:
Hi. We visit the Val Gardena Valley most years. If you're looking to access the Sella Ronda area without spending more than you have to, you could go for Val di Fassa. Canazei or Campitello will give you one lift access straight onto the SR. It's easy skiing then to all of the villages that you've mentioned above. Campitello especially, is good value.

Of the Val Gardena villages, Selva is the best positioned being slap bang on the Sella Ronda. Forget Alpe di Suisi, it's a field in the clouds miles from anywhere. Madeye-Smiley

Defo buy a Superski pass, you'll go nowhere on an area pass.

Thank you Molllerski,

Well Ortisei seems so atractive and beautiful therefore was my first option... I have to see how my girlfriend's snowboarding is at the moment because it has been 2 seasons we haven't gone on a ski trip. Not shure if duable for the Sella Ronda.

Going to check Campitello Madeye-Smiley

Any recomendations on accomodation?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@jony azenhas, Ortisei is very pretty and has an authentic Tyrolean feel. My Daughter au paired there this Summer for some friends who own a mountain hut above the village.

It is a little 'out on a limb' if she's not a confident boarder. Alpe di Suisi is on the opposite side of the valley and that's very bluesy cruisey, Maybe Seceda and Alpe di Suisi would be enough for her. You could then get away with an area pass only. It's certainly charming and romantic down at that end of the valley. wink

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 28-11-14 16:52; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jony azenhas wrote:
Well Ortisei seems so atractive and beautiful therefore was my first option... I have to see how my girlfriend's snowboarding is at the moment because it has been 2 seasons we haven't gone on a ski trip. Not shure if duable for the Sella Ronda.

I certainly wouldn't exclude Ortisei - it's the prettiest of the 3 towns in the Val Gardena Valley (Ortisei/St Ulrich, St. Christina and Selva/Wolkenstein) and the Alpe de Suisi/Seiseralm would be very suitable for your girlfriend. I posted more info on Ortisei in this thread: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=114363&highlight=
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Alternatively, and just a little bit further, you could consider Corvara, which is just over the hill from Selva. This directly accesses most of the easier skiing in the area, on the Pralongia plateau. The problem with Selva is the jump from beginner slopes to the rest is quite wide - you usually have to negotiate a red or two to reach the blues (either there or back) - in particular there is a nasty pitch at the top of Ciampinoi that freaks a lot of less confident skiers/boarders out.

If she turns out to be better than you expect, Corvara is also better placed to get to the Hidden Valley, which is well worth the trip.

Lot's of nice hotels in Corvara, which always feels a little more "up-market" than Selva (a gross generalisation, I know). It is smaller and prettier than Selva, in my opinion, and lots of nice mountain restaurants as well.

If you take this option, make sure you get winter tyres (I think Hertz is the only one in Italy that allows you to pre-book them, although I got lucky with Avis from Bergamo on one occasion), as the Selva pass can be snowy (probably the only part of your drive that will be). Oh, and watch out for the speed cameras on the Bergamo - Verona motorway.

With a less confident skier/boarder, I would avoid Arabba.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rg1, I certainly agree re. 'beginner jump'. I've taken a few beginners/nervous skiers to the area whom have bemoaned the late afternoon Ciampinoi/Dantercepie terror runs. Laughing

As for Selva not being pretty? It's only because is has a busy road running through it, look up and Selva is stunning. Cool
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If driving in from Bergamo, then Val di Fassa (Campitello, Canazei) or Val Gardena (Ortisei, Selva) makes more sense. Saves driving over any passes, or going the long way round.
I'd pick Selva if you fancy skiing/boarding Corvara, since by the time you get to the top of the first lift, down the other side is Corvara.

Alpe di Siusi is scenic, definitely, but I thought it was a bit on the flat side. But that may have been due to a head wind on a blue run where a full race tuck on GS/SL still wasn't enough to keep moving.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mollerski wrote:
@jony azenhas, Ortisei is very pretty and has an authentic Tyrolean feel. My Daughter au paired there this Summer for some friends who own a mountain hut above the village.

It is a little 'out on a limb' if she's not a confident boarder. Alpe di Suisi is on the opposite side of the valley and that's very bluesy cruisey, Maybe Seceda and Alpe di Suisi would be enough for her. You could then get away with an area pass only. It's certainly charming and romantic down at that end of the valley. wink

Well 1 thing is granted , she's not expert because she hasn't too much experience but give her reds and the odd black and way down she goes Toofy Grin

Fear is not within her , just missing the mileage and balance of cruising long runs... She evens like steep pistes because like in her own words ' The board doesn't move!' Ahahah. Thats mainly because she doesn't have practice... She gets upset with greens that are flat (most snowboarders do incluiding me).

I remember 1 time in Meribel 1st day she went down a black by mistake , always braking and forwards but she went down snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alastair Pink wrote:
jony azenhas wrote:

I certainly wouldn't exclude Ortisei - it's the prettiest of the 3 towns in the Val Gardena Valley (Ortisei/St Ulrich, St. Christina and Selva/Wolkenstein) and the Alpe de Suisi/Seiseralm would be very suitable for your girlfriend. I posted more info on Ortisei in this thread: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=114363&highlight=

Thank you Alastair Pink , i'll read the topic wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
[quote="rg1"]Alternatively, and just a little bit further, you could consider Corvara, which is just over the hill from Selva. This directly accesses most of the easier skiing in the area, on the Pralongia plateau. The problem with Selva is the jump from beginner slopes to the rest is quite wide - you usually have to negotiate a red or two to reach the blues (either there or back) - in particular there is a nasty pitch at the top of Ciampinoi that freaks a lot of less confident skiers/boarders out.

If she turns out to be better than you expect, Corvara is also better placed to get to the Hidden Valley, which is well worth the trip.

Lot's of nice hotels in Corvara, which always feels a little more "up-market" than Selva (a gross generalisation, I know). It is smaller and prettier than Selva, in my opinion, and lots of nice mountain restaurants as well.

If you take this option, make sure you get winter tyres (I think Hertz is the only one in Italy that allows you to pre-book them, although I got lucky with Avis from Bergamo on one occasion), as the Selva pass can be snowy (probably the only part of your drive that will be). Oh, and watch out for the speed cameras on the Bergamo - Verona motorway.

With a less confident skier/boarder, I would avoid

Going to check Corvara snowHead

As far as i know they provid snow chains on the cars , at least that's the information i have...

How about snow cover? This time of the year should be excellent , i always try to go towards the end of january/early february...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
andy wrote:
If driving in from Bergamo, then Val di Fassa (Campitello, Canazei) or Val Gardena (Ortisei, Selva) makes more sense. Saves driving over any passes, or going the long way round.
I'd pick Selva if you fancy skiing/boarding Corvara, since by the time you get to the top of the first lift, down the other side is Corvara.

Alpe di Siusi is scenic, definitely, but I thought it was a bit on the flat side. But that may have been due to a head wind on a blue run where a full race tuck on GS/SL still wasn't enough to keep moving.

Ok , so corvara is very close...

About Alpi di Siusi it seems very flat , don't want her to get stuck... This year have to refresh on new lessons for her...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I certainly would not want to give the impression Selva is not stunning - I have stayed there three times and love the place. Just think that Corvara edges it on beauty, but just my opinion. With a confident group, I would actually choose to stay in Selva over Corvara, as the skiing is a bit more interesting from Selva.

I agree it is easy to get to Corvara from Selva (and the long blue piste down past Colfosco is fantastic for "advanced beginners"), but if you are spending your time skiing the Corvara area, the journey back to Selva is a bit of a pain - not sure if the new lift out of Corvara will help or not. And then you either have to download on the Dantercepies gondola or brave the "Dantercepie terror run" (actually a really lovely piste, but again, like Mollerski, I have seen some less confident skiers get a bit freaked by it). So, personally, I would choose to stay in Corvara in preference to Selva if I had a less confident skier/boarder in tow. In fact, based on experience of having a less confident skier with us on our last trip to Selva, where she gave up after being knocked over on Dantercepies on late afternoon of day 2, we stayed in Corvara the following year and she skied happily all week - result!

But andy is right, it is a slightly longer drive and you do have to go over the Selva pass. It adds about 40 mins to the journey.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rg1 wrote:
I certainly would not want to give the impression Selva is not stunning - I have stayed there three times and love the place. Just think that Corvara edges it on beauty, but just my opinion. With a confident group, I would actually choose to stay in Selva over Corvara, as the skiing is a bit more interesting from Selva.

I agree it is easy to get to Corvara from Selva (and the long blue piste down past Colfosco is fantastic for "advanced beginners"), but if you are spending your time skiing the Corvara area, the journey back to Selva is a bit of a pain - not sure if the new lift out of Corvara will help or not. And then you either have to download on the Dantercepies gondola or brave the "Dantercepie terror run" (actually a really lovely piste, but again, like Mollerski, I have seen some less confident skiers get a bit freaked by it). So, personally, I would choose to stay in Corvara in preference to Selva if I had a less confident skier/boarder in tow. In fact, based on experience of having a less confident skier with us on our last trip to Selva, where she gave up after being knocked over on Dantercepies on late afternoon of day 2, we stayed in Corvara the following year and she skied happily all week - result!

But andy is right, it is a slightly longer drive and you do have to go over the Selva pass. It adds about 40 mins to the journey.

Well 40 mins it's a little bit of a stretch considering i'll leave bergamo around 20.00....... rolling eyes

Anyone with links with places where have stayed before? Just checking www.homeaway.co.uk.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
strange about the Dantercepies terror run.
shhhhh... don't tell too many people.... but we take the black, even with the less confident skiers. it's relatively deserted compared to the red, not too difficult (made easier by the lack of people), and any steeper bits are short, so couple of turns and you're back on a red section. and they meet near the bottom of the red.
agree that corvara is a nicer place and better access to many more blues for those that seek them. and if coming from Innsbruck, I'd definitely suggest that.
snow conditions
The 'terror runs' only become so in soft conditions or late afternoon through heavy traffic. Both Ciampinoi and Dantercepies have pinch points which can chop up quite badly. Freshly pisted, early doors and they're both tame, especially Danter C. Madeye-Smiley

Jony, by the sound of your balsy chic, Selva is the place for you. Razz
snow report
Mollerski wrote:
The 'terror runs' only become so in soft conditions or late afternoon through heavy traffic. Both Ciampinoi and Dantercepies have pinch points which can chop up quite badly. Freshly pisted, early doors and they're both tame, especially Danter C. Madeye-Smiley

Jony, by the sound of your balsy chic, Selva is the place for you. Razz

Yes , looks like so Toofy Grin

Still divided between Selva , Ortisei or Corvara , just had a look at Corvara , looks stunning and accomodation better vaule for the money.....

Decisions , decisions (good ones) snowHead snowHead

Do they usually do last minute offers on accomodation in these regions?

Very excited about this ski trip , been 2 years since last one even if it's only for 5 full days...

Anymore sugestions are more than welcomed as always...
snow conditions
PM me, I have a few tips for independents in the valley.
ski holidays
@Mollerski, Pm sent
latest report
jony azenhas wrote:
@Mollerski, Pm sent

Replied.
ski holidays
Alpe de Suise is not to good for snowboard - nice area but very flat. St. Christian, Wolkenstein Selva or Canazei/Campitello I would point at.

St. Christian, Wolkentein Selva is more german/austian culture

Canazei/Campitello is more italian culture

But both call themself landinians.
latest report
Ladins
ski holidays
or even Ladino/Ladinisch..... Smile
ski holidays
Just checking beautiful accomodation both in Ortisei , Selva St.Christina and between snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
Found www.avitasuites.com which looks really really nice but probably out of my budget..............

When i finish the trip i'll do a photo report snowHead snowHead Everyone loves pics!
snow report
That whole time you're planning to be there, there will be l9oads of snowHeads in the area too.
We have the PreBBWUW in Kronplatz the first couple of days of your trip and the Birthday Bash (The S11BB) from the Saturday - that, in itself, will put 120+ snowHeads on the Sela Ronda.
Make sure you add your details to the snowBuddy and when any of us are round that side of the circuit, we can potentially meet up for a run/lunch etc snowHead
latest report
admin wrote:
That whole time you're planning to be there, there will be l9oads of snowHeads in the area too.
We have the PreBBWUW in Kronplatz the first couple of days of your trip and the Birthday Bash (The S11BB) from the Saturday - that, in itself, will put 120+ snowHeads on the Sela Ronda.
Make sure you add your details to the snowBuddy and when any of us are round that side of the circuit, we can potentially meet up for a run/lunch etc snowHead

Yes! I think the last 4 years i always had a look on SBB but never could make it... It's hard for me by being from Portugal and working in Uk at the same time... Didn't know about the snowBuddy feature...

By the way still any rooms left for Arabba Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
Yes a couple of rooms and few individual beds - not many though.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well avitasuites unfortunately is out of my budget but i found www.garnihubertus.com which looks really nice , don't know why it's only rated at 2 stars. More close to Alpi di Siusi cable but still looks in a good position and probably i'll do 5 nights there and 1 night on a higher class spa hotel... Still looking... I even though of just booking last minute , do they do last minute deals? Going on those dates maybe they'll have few beds to fill in..
snow conditions
There's a last minute deal to be had most weeks in most places but their nature is that you don't necessarily get choice.
Some hotels will do an offer somewhere to fill their last beds. You wont be aware of all channels so they could suddenly, unexpectedly become full.
Some venues wont discount at all, in order to protect their value.
Some of the upper end even prefer to maintain a bit of availability in case one of their 'special' clients turns up short notice, paying top dollar for everything.

If you're not fussed about where you end up, last minute is king. If you like to choose, get it booked.
latest report
jony azenhas wrote:
Well avitasuites unfortunately is out of my budget but i found www.garnihubertus.com which looks really nice , don't know why it's only rated at 2 stars. More close to Alpi di Siusi cable but still looks in a good position and probably i'll do 5 nights there...

Looking at the location map on their website although it is closer to the Alpe di Suisi cablecar it's not that difficult to get to the Seceda side gondola either - if you walk to the area marked at the top part of square G13 the thick green line going from there up to the lower part of square E13 is a series of undercover escalators which takes you up to the Seceda gondola station. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
jony azenhas wrote:
Well avitasuites unfortunately is out of my budget but i found www.garnihubertus.com which looks really nice , don't know why it's only rated at 2 stars. More close to Alpi di Siusi cable but still looks in a good position and probably i'll do 5 nights there...

Looking at the location map on their website although it is closer to the Alpe di Suisi cablecar it's not that difficult to get to the Seceda side gondola either - if you walk to the area marked at the top part of square G13 the thick green line going from there up to the lower part of square E13 is a series of undercover escalators which takes you up to the Seceda gondola station. Madeye-Smiley

Oh cool snowHead snowHead snowHead

Seems that i´ll book it then , sent e-mail yesterday requesting availability , waiting for reply... wink
latest report
So got a quote of 512€ for 6 nights , 2 people from www.garnihubertus.com incluiding breakfast , no-brainer here!!! snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
jony azenhas wrote:
So got a quote of 512€ for 6 nights , 2 people from www.garnihubertus.com incluiding breakfast , no-brainer here!!! snowHead snowHead

Nice result - The Snow Cannons are going full tilt and it is bound to dump snow any day now....!
snow conditions
albob wrote:
jony azenhas wrote:

Nice result - The Snow Cannons are going full tilt and it is bound to dump snow any day now....!

Yes yes!!! I forgot that's including Tourist tax for 6 nights for 2 people... Allready did my booking Toofy Grin

Just hope and catch good weather on the roads. Seems very straightforward , plenty of motorway and then 30 minutes from Bolzano. Just have to be careful with speedcameras.

Anyone did this trip? Is legal limit 120 or 130km/h?

After so many years finally going to dolomiti Very Happy
snow report
@jony azenhas, As you're staying in Ortisei I can recommend the Maurizkeller restaurant for evening meals. It's on the Via Rezia/Reziastrasse street (No.32) in the town centre pedestrian zone (you go down some steps to the entrance). Right next to it on the street at No. 30 there's an excellent (and good value) wine bar called Vinotheque which does very good cold meats, cheeses etc to go with the wine!

I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay in Ortisei. To whet your appetite here's a video of the 10.5km long red run 2 "La Longia" from Seceda down to Ortisei (note frozen waterfall on left hand side of piste about 3:24 into the video) Very Happy

http://youtube.com/v/rDtUq7psPB8
snow conditions
jony azenhas wrote:
albob wrote:
jony azenhas wrote:

Yes yes!!! I forgot that's including Tourist tax for 6 nights for 2 people... Allready did my booking Toofy Grin

Just hope and catch good weather on the roads. Seems very straightforward , plenty of motorway and then 30 minutes from Bolzano. Just have to be careful with speedcameras.

Anyone did this trip? Is legal limit 120 or 130km/h?

After so many years finally going to dolomiti Very Happy

Glad you got it sorted! The Sella Ronda/Dolomites is my favourite ski area.

A few observations:

1. I did all the different parts of that journey in May this year, from Milan Malpensa, past Bergamo, up the Brenner motorway and right up Val Gardena to the top of the Sella Pas, all very straightforward. The new by-pass tunnels past Sta Cristina have revolutionised travel up & down Val Gardena which used to get very congested at busy times in Winter. Obviously, if it's snowing heavily, the last bit up to Ortisei could be iffy, but it's well-used and plowed/gritted regularly.

The speed limit on Italian motorways is generally 130km/h, unless otherwise marked. It drops to 110km/h when it's raining.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_in_Italy

2. To make full use of the Dolomiti Superski pass, it might be good to catch the ski-bus up to the main lifts at Selva on some days, it costs €9 for the week, but will save the long schlep up & down if you want to do the Sella Ronda, Hidden Valley or Marmolada.

http://www.val-gardena.com/en/skibus/page273.html

3. I'm a little suspicious of the very cheap price you quote for your car hire. If it's one of those Ryanair/Hertz deals where you get clobbered for extra insurance when you pick the car up, you might want to read the small print very carefully and explore your options of purchasing Excess Insurance here before you go.

Read Section 4 here: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-car-hire

Hope that helps! Boa viagem! snowHead
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
@jony azenhas, As you're staying in Ortisei I can recommend the Maurizkeller restaurant for evening meals. It's on the Via Rezia/Reziastrasse street (No.32) in the town centre pedestrian zone (you go down some steps to the entrance). Right next to it on the street at No. 30 there's an excellent (and good value) wine bar called Vinotheque which does very good cold meats, cheeses etc to go with the wine!

I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay in Ortisei. To whet your appetite here's a video of the 10.5km long red run 2 "La Longia" from Seceda down to Ortisei (note frozen waterfall on left hand side of piste about 3:24 into the video) Very Happy

http://youtube.com/v/rDtUq7psPB8

Fantastic!! Thank you very much! Being Portuguese we like our good wine and lovely food , i mean who doesn't Cool Cool

Have to check that youtube video when i get home on the 29th December , currently on the ship working....
ski holidays
snow conditions
As above:

"Another thing i did was to choose with the tank full on return which is much better! Still going to read the full article from the link provided"
"That's great tip and only 9€ a week it"s a bargain"
"Yes , they are quoting about 9€ a day from Allianz but after reading from the link got excess of about 5.000£ for 7 days with all the bits and pieces for only 16£ Smile Smile Wink

In total paid 101 € without the excess
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy