Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My First Ski Season

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

I am doing my first ski season this year with Scott Dunn and am wondering if anyone had any advice?

I am also writing a blog so if you could check that out, that'd be great too!

www.powderpursuit.blogspot.com

So far I've reviewed all my winter gear and will be writing an honest blog about what it's really like working a winter ski season.

Thanks for reading,

Safe Shredding

HH
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

will be writing an honest blog

there might be aspects about which you'd be well advised to be less than honest in a public blog. wink

Hope you have lots of fun. Little Angel
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
....or use a pen name wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm hoping to!

I'll leave out certain aspects of course Pam Wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What sort of advice are you looking for, Henry? Anything in particular?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Socks
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have fun, enjoy it, pace yourself and remember the people you're working for but above all never forget the fact that thousands of snowheads are hugely jealous of you! wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Which resort, Henry?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bertie bassett wrote:
Socks

Laughing word
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well we train in Val D'sere then depending on requirements, could move on to either Courchevel, stay in Val or go onto St Anton!

I have heard Socks, Socks and more Socks!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Advice
- get out on the slopes every chance you can get, even if it doesn't look very appealing at first glance
- bring a multi-plug extension cable and one adapter - there are never enough sockets
- bring the clothes you love because they are comfy, not for fashion - it just doesn't matter
- bring rubber gloves and handcream. And use lots of lipbalm and sunscreen to keep the pain to a minimum Smile
- bring cheap pain killers and blister plasters etc from the UK. Small to pack, and cost more in resort.

Have a fantastic time!!!

P.S. I'd advise changing the font on your blog to something more standard - I found it quite difficult to read.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Super travel?

Anyway, advice would be - don't get too attached to your kit, a full season of riding will use and abuse it, so be prepared to replace and upgrade at the worst possible moment.

Watch the returners - keep an eye on what the 2nd or 3rd season staff are up to, where they drink, most importantly how often, and how they go about their work while hungover. Its easier than learning things the hard way, most 'high end tour operators' won't put up with many mistakes.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@henryhole, Scott Dunn are a great company to work for. Smile

I would recommend the same stuff as @fixx, however from memory the SD crew put a bit more effort into fashion then the rest of us... Wink

Have a great time!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Get up the hill every day even for an hour, that is why you are there, Make friends with someone in a bar, a ski shop, and a lifite!! Always handy to have around. Try to pick up a little French or German (Whatever is local). It helps with the locals.

Enjoy every second of it and remember how much fun it is meant to be.

Oh and Socks so many socks! Good Gloves & Goggles
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for all the advice guys!! As you can see from my blog, I've already become somewhat attached to my kit so thanks @matteevan90 I'll prepare to endure that pain!

I agree @fixx I'm going to change it today... Had my leaving doo last night so I'm writing a post about that! Thanks @dia_findtransfers I did notice on my interview day a lot of fashion conscious potential seasonaires!!

If you have any advice on what you think I should be posting about on my blog for the mass market, please let me know!!

Thanks again guys!!
snow report
Great Idea- I am following you as I would love to do this!
I do think you should have gone anonymous though. Your employer knows exactly who you are so you will need to be very polite on your blog at all times- It might be hard to make it interesting. I want to hear all about the nightmare clients and silly scrapes- please do not do this under your own name on the internet as it will be frowned upon. I am an employer and I google search all potential employees!
Have a brilliant time- so jealous...
snow conditions
Thanks for your advise @nem I want to make this blog as organic and original as possible so I'm going to write from the heart.

I agree anonymity would have been a great choice, but I want my readers to develop an association with my as a writer as I am hoping I can make a connection with them through the power of powder Wink

If you +1 on Google+ I can add you to my followers and perhaps send you a post directly in order to sidestep the employers!
ski holidays
Depending on whether you consider them cool or not you might want to look at getting a pair of Venitex gloves. You'll see lots of lifties and guides wearing them. They're doing that for a reason - durability. Not the most attractive of things but they do the job

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Venitex-FBF15-Leather-Winter-GLoves/dp/B006Z84Y9O/ref=sr_1_1?s=clothing&ie=UTF8&qid=1416832085&sr=1-1&keywords=venitex&tag=amz07b-21
latest report
Change company so you actually get some ski time....

EDIT: Slightly harsh, as the others say and I would say this especially true with a quite demanding company like Scott Dunn - use your time wisely, get out on the hill as quickly as possible, you can drink anywhere in the world at any time, it's a great aspect to living in the Alps but the best bit is the skiing/snowboarding so go do it!

Make friends with other companies, broaden your horizons, meeting 1 person more often than not means you meet a whole group of people from their company.

If you're in St Anton, hit the Apres up it's better than the night life IMO and then you're not hungover to ski the next day.

Scott Dunn don't take much sh*t, adhere to the rules you'll be alright.

Take a few lessons with the ski school even if you're good already, it's worth it especially powder clubs etc. as you'll find the new spots.

Make friends with people who've been in the resort before, they'll show you the best lines/watering holes etc.

As an aside, yes I would denounce any association with said company on your blog. They won't take kindly to unauthorised publishing of this kind of stuff, even if you think it's harmless.
snow report
Thanks for all the advice guys.

Just to clarify, I'm not posting my blog around Snowheads for any other reason other than to get peoples feedback as I'm guessing there will be people out there who have done a season and who have wrote blogs about it.

I won't be mentioning the tour operator on my blog though I have heard they run a 'tight ship'. At the end of the day, I'm not a huge drinker so will more than likely just make the most of the time on the mountains.
ski holidays
henry,

you will get SOME totally unreasonable guests* who will wind you up - resist the temptation to retaliate by blog! Your employers will be of the opinion that the customer is always right and even when they aren't the staff just have to suck it up.

tips will be random and bear little relation to how nice the guests are, how extravagant they are and how hard you work for them - treat them as a bonus

if you are there to ski/board then get out every day you can - if the conditions are rubbish then just have a short ski but you'll feel better for getting out and sometime the least promising conditions turn out to be some of the best (rain turns to snow, clouds break, crowds still in the bar, etc)

take every opportunity to ski with the best people on the mountain - watch and learn.

find a friendly ski/board tech - free servicing for the occasional beer is a good deal!
snow report
Thanks once again everyone for the advice... Keep it coming!

@jedster I'll be on the mountains for as many hours as physically possible thats why I'm there! Wink
snow report
I agree with everything @jedster has said. The first couple of weeks will be very demanding. Not only are you getting to know the ropes, you will have Christmas and New Year guests with particularly high expectations.
Get organised big time to maximise your time on the slopes. If you are the chalet cook, work out what you can do even before or during breakfast to get your prep done for dinner.
I agree that the tips will bear no resemblance to the guests you have each week. Some guests are lovely, some aren't and some are just weird.
More than one party in the chalet usually makes the atmosphere more friendly towards the staff. Single groups tend to focus inwardly towards each other.

Be prepared for lots of stupid questions from guests. People leave their brains at home on package trips, and will expect you to be the fount of all knowledge about your resort at the start of week one!
The question you will be asked more than any other is: "What do you do in the summer?/when the season is over?".

Even if you are a really sociable person, the lack of privacy (sharing a room is inevitable) and head space can be a bit wearing (I was a chalet and ski host and so never had more than a couple of hours to myself at the end of each day, but only if my room mate was out).Take the opportunities you can to clear your head.
You will feel completely knackered towards the end of the season. Grit your teeth, smile and keep going!

Ski ski ski!
snow report
Nice blog, see you on Friday Wink
snow conditions
@isteon Are you also going out on Friday then?

Thanks @perty great advice as usual from the Snowhead community. I intend to make the most of it because at the moment I don't envisage doing a second season (though that will likely change once I've finished!)
ski holidays
Take Lockets & any supermarket flu powders.
snow conditions
Lemsip - essential.
ski holidays
And M perhaps?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I
Quote:

I intend to make the most of it because at the moment I don't envisage doing a second season (though that will likely change once I've finished!)

Yes - treat it like the only season you will ever do. I knew I had a career to start when I came home and this was the one chance I would have to get my skiing to a standard. There was only one day that I didn't get out when I could have...
snow conditions
Don't push yourself too hard on the mountain early in the season..... have seen too many new seasonaires get injured and season over particular when pistes are rock hard due to cold weather and poor early season snow

Get to know the locals and don't go expecting freebies at every bar and restaurant you go to, better to build up a rapport gradually, locals will respect you more for it

Watch out for local politics

Look after yourself. very easy to get run down by not eating properly and too much boozing

Make the most of days off and create a bucket list of what you want to achieve, and don't let the season pass you by, very easy to have grand plans and then find you get into late March/April and season gone

Enjoy your season Smile
latest report
I always used to get a flu jab before I went.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy