Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Excess alcohol and sleep deprivation harming British skiers" - survey

Poster: A snowHead
we havnt got a problem, wejust know how to have a good time!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fezza, well said Very Happy

One brilliant thing i find is that when in the mountains the morning after a night out is a lot eaiser, after the strugle to get out of bed and put on ski stuff (not to mention carrying skis to the nearest lift). The hangover rarely lasts longer than the distance to the lift Very Happy

Rich (also student)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
petermillar wrote:
What is more amazing - how much young Brits drink while on ski trips, or how little young Frenchies drink while on ski trips? I am normally with the latter, thank the Lord.

Young Frenchies have nothing like the same disposable income of young Brits and alcohol is much more expensive if you drink in bars in France. I'm sure they can drink with the best behind closed doors although they do tend to drink with food which helps not to get so drunk (even if liver cirrhosis is still a problem).

A couple of years back there was an opinion piece in Skieur (a French ski mag) lamenting the French après culture (spag bog and a bottle of Pinard in a 18m2 studio for 6) compared to the Brits who lived it large. However with drunken slappers brawling in Chamonix High St last winter I think this opinion is not that widely shared.

Still I admire anyone who can drink 100+ units and still ski a bit all week. They must have the constitution of an Ox.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mark_s, I think it has been going on for centuries
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
the_fatadder wrote:

edit, just read the artical. and they seem to be under this impression that we should all be taking at least one day off (ie no skiing) in a weeks holiday to recharge your batterys. How many people actually would even consider taking a day with no skiing on a skiing holiday. I know full well i wouldnt give up my valuable time on the snow snowHead

If you're skiing for a fortnight, riding hard (no stopping mid run, minimal lift queues, open til close) you can easily need a day's rest mid holiday to actually ski better during the second week. Many Americans would look at you like you were mad if you said you skied 6 days straight but then they have less of a culture of long slow mountain lunches etc.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If I ski for two weeks I tend to take a day off halfway through the holiday to rest. Also if I'm on holiday and the conditions are truly atrocious (high winds, low vis, no fresh snow, or worst of all rain at all levels) then I won't bother going out. I don't mind skiing when it's snowing, but I've learnt the hard way that sometimes it just aint worth it to go up the mountain.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidof,

was that drunken British slappers???

and is it about disposable income alone? or what we chose to do with it : I refer you to the self-confessed rich student above Razz
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kramer wrote:
AxsMan, inebriation is a function of many factors, bodyweight and amount drunk being only two of them. In terms of behaviour, probably the most important are psychological, above just about all the others.

Kramer is that true? If so I am surprised. I always thought that alcohol (and any drug) were body mass dependant - larger body mass needing a large dose for the same effect. Does that mean you can (to an extent) choose how drunk you are? If so then the police methods of measurement, which I beliebve give a mg/litre result don't take this into account. Or are you saying that we can choose how we behave , drunk or sober, but that this doesn't mean our (drunken) abilities are any less impaired? I know my typing (unlike my skiing) goes downhill fast after a bottle (or two)!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Slightly OT, but i was in Sauze the other year at newyear and if you want to see drunks, wait for the italians to come out a midnight, it was like Beirut(not that i've been there), fights ,shouting and @rsehols.....It's not just Brits
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
mistermouse wrote:
Slightly OT, but i was in Sauze the other year at newyear and if you want to see drunks, wait for the italians to come out a midnight, it was like Beirut(not that i've been there), fights ,shouting and @rsehols.....It's not just Brits

Or in La plagne a few seasons ago, groups from scandinavia Shocked
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Anyone kept awake all night by the French yobs braying away and yelling in LDA at the PSB?

Or seen a horrendous accident in Morzine at New Year 2000 where some (Brit as it happens) poor passerby lost an eye after a French kid threw a firework in his face? (I was there...horrible, horrible).

IMHO, it's unfair to pick out a particular nationality for bad behaviour. The "professional" press just seem to find it easy to pick on Brits. Possibly as we're so good at picking on ourselves.

100 units isn't hard (as mentioned before). And why take a day off on a skiing holiday. Isn't that what the beach on Magaloof (?) is for?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Murdoch wrote:
Anyone kept awake all night by the French yobs braying away and yelling in LDA at the PSB?

The rioting at LdA for the Mondial seems to be a kind of tradition now.... so much so that it puts a lot of the local French from going there as they don't want to be beaten up or have their cars vandalized - or end up as collateral damage if a tear gas cannister or rubber bullet misses its mark. I must say at 2am I'm always tucked up in bed these days and it would take a nuclear war to wake me.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AxsMan, if you give people non-alcoholic drinks, but tell them that they are alcoholic, then they act drunk. There is a huge social and behavioural element involved apart from the pure physiological effects of alcohol.

In British society, because we are so reserved in other situations, alcohol and bars play an important part in being excuses to let our guard down and engage in social intercourse. As such it is a necessary function, otherwise we'd find it a lot harder to meet prospective partners etc, so it's not all bad by any means.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So, 100 units is about 35-40 pints, depending upon strength and isn't hard to consume in a week??? I'm pretty certain I'd be recovering in hospital if I did that sort of thing on holiday!

I'd better not bump into some of you in a bar next year in case you get me totally hammered after 2-3 pints!

I'm not worthy...........
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kramer wrote:
In British society, because we are so reserved in other situations, alcohol and bars play an important part in being excuses to let our guard down and engage in social intercourse.

True. I'd probably still be single if it wasn't for alcohol. It should be banned! Banned, I tell you!! Twisted Evil
snow conditions
alan empty, Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
kevin mcclean, 100 units in a week is 15 in a day.

1 pint at lunch time is 3 units, a vin chaud and a flugel straight off the slopes are another 2, 2 pints in the pub before dinner add another 6 units. This leaves you with 4 units to consume over dinner, easily done with a gin and tonic, a glass of wine, and then a port or brandy.

Even leaving out the lunchtime pint (which I know that you would!), then make the G&T and brandy large ones, and have more than one glass of wine with dinner and you're there. As I say, not your classical binge drinking lager lout, but easily reached by a lot of people.
latest report
kevin mcclean, 100 units is about 25 pints of Stella. I had 5 last night (ie 20 units or so...). Best not drink till next Wednesday by govt guidelines then eh?

alan empty, I'd be undivorced and not re-engaged! Oh well... Happy

((Yes, for those of you who met her at the PSB, I finally managed to negotiate an extra degree of commitment with Sophie while NOT under the influence.))

Kramer, I think there's an argument to re-value the "unit". A bit like the Italians used to do with the Lira but in the opposite direction. That way I can comply with Nanny Chief Med Officer guidelines and sleep more easily.
ski holidays
One of the points made by Halifax Insurance in publicising this clever survey yesterday was:
Quote:
84% disagree with the random breathalyser tests introduced across a number of Austrian, French and Italian resorts, where marshals have the power to breathalyse skiers and to remove anyone who fails the breath test from the slopes.

Is this a bit like asking people if they disagree with the Loch Ness Monster ... or the Abominable Snowman?
I mean ... do these 'marshals' exist, or are they pure myth?
Have you ever seen somebody blowing into a breathalyser at a ski resort?
snow report
David Goldsmith, no, but I have had a couple of arguments with the Polizia in Champoluc! wink
snow report
Kramer wrote:
AxsMan, if you give people non-alcoholic drinks, but tell them that they are alcoholic ....

Sounds like a hanging offence to me! - but could be a way to save money when buying rounds - muhahahah Twisted Evil

But joking aside - fair points, especially the 'prospective partners' bit, although, when I think about what I might have considered a 'prospective partner', after a few pints, maybe the stuff should be banned! Confused

(And I'm sure there are many ladeez, in fact probably all those who have met me, that would feel the same way ) Very Happy
ski holidays
David Murdoch, We could easily revalue the "unit" upward, however then we would also have to revalue the recommended weekly allowance downwards. Sad
ski holidays
AxsMan, you could actually argue that one of the reasons that the brits behave badly when drunk is because we are so reserved when sober. The mediterranean countries have a far more passionate culture, so don't feel the need to let it all out when drunk.
snow report
David Murdoch: 20 units in a sitting sounds an awesome amount of booze to consume. You must have been absolutely plastered beyond compare! How are you feeling this morning? Devastated I suppose....
snow report
kevin mcclean, oK, maybe it's only 15 units. And, no, it's not an awesome amount - just 5 pints of strong continental lager.

No, I'm not an alcoholic: at least, I just drink about as much as the average doctor (I know as I used to be married to one). (Sorry Kramer...absolutely no offence intended!!)
snow report
I've got to say, anyone who can drink 6-7 pints a day every day, and then ski hard from first lift to last deserves respect, I know I couldn't do it. But if the beer is losing you (through hangover or whatever) even half an hour's skiing in pissing rain on blue runs, it's not worth it to me - you can drink anywhere, but I'm only getting 2wks skiing this year, and the same last Crying or Very sad , and I'm not wasting it with hangovers...
ski holidays
I suppose it's all of those Christmas parties that people go to. I went out with some colleagues last night for a meal and some of them were drinking wine bottle sized beers (seriously, the amount of a wine bottle) like it was going out of fashion. One even got in car and drove home. On average, they drank about five of these enormous bottles of beer each. You'd think that the beer was the main dish and the food were the accompaniment. For my part, I had a lemonade and a jug of water but why I should add that last bit in is curious as I've no need to justify my drinking habits.

However, tonight I'm going to attempt to drink an 'average' Brit skier's portion and see how I feel in the morning. I hope to have been sick on someone, offend waiters in a curry house, urinate in someone's letter box, fight over a taxi and attack a police officer whilst being arrested. I'll let you know how I get on.
ski holidays
Plake wrote:
I've got to say, anyone who can drink 6-7 pints a day every day, and then ski hard from first lift to last deserves respect

Thank you! Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
But would they deserve a liver transplant after 20 years of such behaviour?
snow conditions
Quote:

...urinate in someone's letter box...

Shocked Shocked Shocked

I'd be careful with that one kevin, on these frosty nights exposed metal can get very cold, and once 'attached' making a sharp exit when the door opens could be tricky Razz
snow report
kevin mcclean, my god, u think sum1 gets plastered on 5 pints???!?

i wish i was! wud save me sum money!

used to drink 10 cans when i was 15 ona wee wee up

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 17-12-05 18:18; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Plake,

My thoughts exactly, too litltle time skiing ..!

I couldn't do it all week amd nor would I want to... If I start drinking just off the last run, I stop around about 2200 hrs latest.
And that wouldn't be chucking it down my neck either. 5-6 bottles max...and I can't drink 1lt glasses of that gas stuff either altho' if I've had a brill day them the 1st large one might go down rather well...
I try and drink just enough to put back some liquids/energy for the next day... NehNeh
ski holidays
Seems like there is a bit of a drinking culture clash going on here. Unless people have been around a social scene which involves a lot of drinking they tend not to believe how much people drink without becoming wino's. Some of my friends used to drink up to 20 pints in a days drinking. I was never into booze that much, but I can get through 2 to 3 bottles of nice red wine in an evening. Alcohol tolerance increases rapidly with regular consumption. During the 9 months I lived in Sydney I ended up being able to get through 40+ units in a long evening. Now I tend to keep my levels to the odd bottles on the weekend - some levels are not sustainable without incurring damage. If in doubt look at my last meal photo's on the EOSB hehehe

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 17-12-05 0:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Oh - and I have seen so many people go from looking vibrant and attractive to glazing over in a vacent p!ssed up manner in a few hours besides a bar. I'm sure that I do the same. Not claiming to look vibrant and attractive btw hehehe
snow conditions
I have a good climbing and booze story - let me see if I can find it...
ski holidays
Camping at Llyn Gwynant and a few people had let me down regarding being a climbing partner - everyone was eating and drinking. I felt a little cheesed off so sat back to read, had 5 or 6 strong beers, a little red wine, then necked a bottle of bubbly. Started seeing double as I convinced myself that I could backrope solo Shake on Clogwyn y Wenallt, placing gear and running a giant loop of rope via a shunt from each belay.

Wobbled my way up to the crag, somehow managed to gear up and set off up the rock with rucksack on. Got to the tree and attempted to put a sling round it. Unfortunately I was seeing two trees, and I had placed the sling around the non-existant one. As I pulled it tight I found myself falling backwards until I started bouncing upside down, luckily enough my rucksack and helmet took most of the ledge bangs on the way down. Laying on the floor after the last six feet of free fall it did take me a little while to work out why I was there as I seemed to remember being a lot higher a minute earlier. My rope had caught on a flake and was still running above me so had to pull the whole length of that through. Another ten minutes attempting to untie my climbing shoes and I managed to stagger back to the tents and fire, plenty of bloody grazes on shins and giggling like a fool. A few more beers and another daft escapade became part of campfire folklore.
ski holidays
kevin mcclean, you really should get out more, i dont mean drink more thats your perogotive, but i think youll find people enjoy alot more more alcohol than you think rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy