Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Excess alcohol and sleep deprivation harming British skiers" - survey

Poster: A snowHead
Halifax Travel Insurance has established that male skiers drink an average of 100 units of alcohol on a week’s holiday while their female counterparts down an average of 71. The UK government's recommended limits are 28 units for men, and 21 units for women, according to the study.

Halifax's research also shows that skiers only sleep for an average of six hours per day - two hours less than the recommended eight hours.

Vicky Emmott, senior underwriter at Halifax Travel Insurance, commented: "It’s important that people remember to limit their drinking to sensible levels while enjoying their winter sports holidays – especially as the majority of travel insurance policies will exclude accidents which occur whilst the policyholder is under the influence."

This report from Easier.com.
Quote:
84% disagree with the random breathalyser tests introduced across a number of Austrian, French and Italian resorts, where marshals have the power to breathalyse skiers and to remove anyone who fails the breath test from the slopes. In America ‘Piste Police’ patrol the slopes for unruly or unsportsmanly behaviour and have the power to confiscate lift passes from skiers who don’t follow the rules.

Have you ever been breathalysed at a ski area? Do you know anyone who has been breathalysed at a ski area?

Any other comments on this report?
snow report
 brian
brian
Aye, and don't be having any of that "fun" either ! rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Halifax's research also shows that skiers only sleep for an average of six hours per day - two hours less than the recommended eight hours.

Their point being? I'd count myself lucky to get 8 hours sleep any night, and in fact I probably get more on holiday than during a working week. Smacks of nannyism to the n'th degree to me. Evil or Very Mad
Maybe have a point re alcohol though. There's been a lot of discussion on this forum about the dangers of skiing while listening to music. I would have thought it was obvious that giving 100% concentration to your skiing is difficult if you are blotto. Very Happy

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What is the limit for alcohol when ski-ing?????

Surely they are encouraging drinking with all the bars on the mountain. You don't see any bars at a motorway service station
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
johnboy wrote:

Yes, can we tell johnboy how many units he's allowed?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sleep deprivation: As a safety measure I propose that standard of all pillows in Chalets be immediatly upgraded
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnboy, it's when your wife storms off. Believe me on this point Embarassed
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
johnboy wrote:

Surely they are encouraging drinking with all the bars on the mountain.

Not at anything between 5UKP and 7.50 a pint they are not.

johnboy wrote:

You don't see any bars at a motorway service station

Erm you do in Europe.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
.... says the man from Chartreuse!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well, I made some comments about this on the SCGB site which were eventually published in Ski and Board. 100 units of alcohol appears to be an absolutely staggering amount of booze to consume in a week. In fact, I find this hard to believe. How on earth is it possible to drink this much without dying of some fatal liver attack, alcohol poisoning and so on? Who are the people doing this to themselves? I have to say, whilst I saw a lot of drunkards in Val D'Isere in April I'd doubt very much they were consuming this much! Perhaps they were doctors......
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kevin mcclean, doesnt 1 pint = 2 units ?

If so 50 pints a week is probably correct. Couple of pints after skiing, one before evening meal, two with evening meal and five afterwards - nee bother !
ski holidays
 brian
brian
kevin mcclean, it's about 40 grande bieres, a little less than 6 a day. I don't find that hard to believe at all.

It's a wee bit surprising it's the average, mind you. Wonder if it was a mean or a median ?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Paul Mason, yep don't think it is too difficult to drink 100 units in a week. I'll let you know after 6 Feb. I understand that there are piste patrols in US and Italy wandering around with breathalysers as of this year!
snow report
 brian
brian
Paul Mason, 1 pint = 2 units at a beer strength of 3.5% Not much beer that weak to be found in the alpine region !

At 5%, 100 units = 35.21 pints or 40 half-litres.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
1 pint of modern beer equals about three to four units. 100 units in a week is far more easily reached than you would imagine. Some of my alcoholic patients drink between 300-400 units a week, and at a push can manage 100 in one day!
snow conditions
Quote:

... 100 units of alcohol appears to be an absolutely staggering amount of booze to consume in a week...

100 units in 7 days = 14 (and a bit) units per day. That's about 7 beers, or 1 and half bottles of wine.

On holiday that doesn't sound like a 'staggering amount' to me. I could quite easily have an evening apperitif, drink a bottle of wine over dinner, finish with a cognac, and maybe have a couple of vin chaud during the day. I might go to bed somewhat the worse for wear, and snore my @ss off for 8 hours (!) wink but I wouldn't be inebriated on the slopes (not even over the breathalyser limit for driving). I'm not advocating it as a long term lifestyle choice, but '...dying of some fatal liver attack...' seems a bit unlikely after 1 week Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

.... Some of my alcoholic patients drink between 300-400 units a week, and at a push can manage 100 in one day...

Shocked Shocked

Now that IS a 'staggering amount'. (maybe there's hope for us - 100 a week (but only while on holiday, and not during the day while skiing or driving or operating machinery) - boys yet! Very Happy
ski holidays
Thats ON AVERAGE! I wonder what some of the heaviest drinking results were!
snow report
David Goldsmith wrote:
.... says the man from Chartreuse!

True true, actually I have a bottle of extra strong Chartreuse - 54%, this has taken me since last New Year to get through. 100 units is about what I consume in a month.
latest report
Anyone know what resorts actually do this breathalying business?
More to the point, does La Plagne or Deux Alps?

I know a lot of people who will still be over the limit after getting up for the first lift in the morning, as for sleep, about 5 or 6 hours a night seems about what we usually get (including sleeping from when the lifts shut till dinner)

Most people i know will have at least 6 pints in a night out (despite the OTT prices) + will drink in the room over dinner

Wonder if they just went to a student trip to do their research.....

edit, just read the artical. and they seem to be under this impression that we should all be taking at least one day off (ie no skiing) in a weeks holiday to recharge your batterys. How many people actually would even consider taking a day with no skiing on a skiing holiday. I know full well i wouldnt give up my valuable time on the snow snowHead

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 15-12-05 17:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
A lot of people drink 50-60 units in an average week without even realising that they're drinking so much. A heavy night out can be 30-40 units without too much problem.
snow report
johnboy, "You don't see any bars at a motorway service station"

You've never been in an Italian service station then? Propping up the bar with the local Polizia having their lunchtime bottle of Chianti?

What amuses me most is the sign behind the bar, IIRC it reads, "In the interests of road safety we will not sell hard liquor between the hours of 10.00 p.m. and 6.00 a.m."

Phew, that'll be alright then.
snow report
AxsMan, you are entirely right - very easy to imagine...

Units is (roughly) calculated by the amount of drink consumed in litres x alcoholic volume.

Lets take a pint of krony as an example - 568ml in a pint and it's 5%.

For arguments sake lets call that 0.5l x 5% = 2.5 units.

100 units in a week, say you drink for 7 nights would = just over 14 units a night... Assuming you are drinking kronenbourg, that would be under 6 pints.
Or as you say a bottle of wine and a couple of drinks afterwards would safely put you up there...

Agreed that this does seem high for an average - but it seems about right for someone who drinks fairly regularly...
ski holidays
It's interesting that only SH blokes have commented on the volumes consumed....so far wink
latest report
snowbunny, Bah! I bet you on any uni ski trip u'll see the ladies easily consuming that much as well... maybe it's them that are driving the averages up!
snow conditions
magicrichard, Maybe we don't feel the need to analyse and count our drinks Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidof wrote:
100 units is about what I consume in a month.

Hence your reliable control of a keyboard, excellent typing and steady navigation of off-piste skis.
A model to us all.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
100 units is probably roughly what I consume in a month as well, but your holibags aren't an average month are they ?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
im going to have one dry and early night on my jan trip to see how much difference it makes.. i fear it could be loads!!
latest report
Quote:

the majority of travel insurance policies will exclude accidents which occur whilst the policyholder is under the influence."

so don't fall on an icy pavement and break a wrist on the way back from downing those 7 pints
ski holidays
CANV CANVINGTON, Shocked Shocked Shocked DONT'T RISK IT! Shocked Shocked Shocked

One dry night could lead to another, and before you know where you are - (whisper the word) abstinence! Shocked Shocked Shocked

snowbunny, Now you know it's just that inebriation is a function of alcohol consumed in proportion to body mass (Kramer that IS right innit?)

so you slimline ladeeez simply can't keep up with us more, er 'heavily built' gents. Mrs Ax gets tiddly on a couple of glasses of Rioja, wheras I can manage at least 3 before I'm pi$$ed. Cool
ski holidays
 brian
brian
AxsMan wrote:
[and before you know where you are - (whisper the word) abstinence! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Is that that green stuff that blows your head apart ? Laughing
latest report
brian, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
AxsMan, inebriation is a function of many factors, bodyweight and amount drunk being only two of them. In terms of behaviour, probably the most important are psychological, above just about all the others.
snow conditions
What is more amazing - how much young Brits drink while on ski trips, or how little young Frenchies drink while on ski trips? I am normally with the latter, thank the Lord.
snow report
AxsMan,
Quote:

snowbunny, Now you know it's just that inebriation is a function of alcohol consumed in proportion to body mass (Kramer that IS right innit?)
so you slimline ladeeez simply can't keep up with us more, er 'heavily built' gents. Mrs Ax gets tiddly on a couple of glasses of Rioja, wheras I can manage at least 3 before I'm pi$$ed.

It's worse than that for me...I can be drunk on 1 glass. I even managed to get drunk in Ian's Saturday Night Bar...ooh I was fragile on Sunday rolling eyes
latest report
I think me and my crowd are the ones that push the average up. 3-4 hours would be a good nights sleep. and apres alone could be 4 or 5 large ones then wine with dinner and out on the town ...a few cocktails or shorts and we would be well over the average.
Ps we dont get nasty or noisy we just have fun Little Angel
ski holidays
I hate skiing with a hangover, and would never drink during the day. I don't go on ski holidays to get drunk but then again 4 or 5 pints would probably be ok for me to still manage an early start.
latest report
ye bout 8 pints in an evening from bout half 7 onwards im fine,

however, after new years eve, skiing new years day is gonna be a whle different matter!!

i dont like skiing hungover, as i get pissed up in town 3 nights a week and oly get 1 week of skiin a year

Sad

<< student
snow report
British skiers are in the news for all the wrong reasons again. If anyone has the metro, read page 21. If not, then i guess I might have to type up the (short) article Shocked

Honestly, I don't know why we (the british) have such a problem with drink. It embarrasses me sometimes Confused
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy