Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fischer or Head

Poster: A snowHead
Hi new member looking for help trying to decide on new skis for Jan trips.
Currently considering either from head XRC1100 SR II or 800 and from Fischer RX8 or 6. I'm a confident red / gentler black skier, 5' 10", 12stone.
Happy carving either med or long arcs, looking to perfect my short swings down the fall line on the reds. I ski mostly on piste but not adverse to the odd day on the soft stuff, usually with a guide. Currently ski volkl Energy 420 which is fine but looking to freshen things up and fancy some tighter turns. Would love to demo but limited opportunity. I obviously don't want to step down from the Volkl's but am concerned the 1100 and the RX8 might be too unforgiving when things get difficult / on the V steeps. Any comments most appreciated...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BG, Hi there & welcome to snowHeads.

I haven't tried the Head but I've owned the Volkl 5 * & it's a cracking ski. However I tested the RX8 a few months ago & I think it has the edge on the 5*. A few snowHeads got absolute bargains on the RX8's by buying online abroad so hopefully they'll jump in here & point you in the right direction.

As an Atomic Metron fan & I'd recommend demo'ing their M11 as it's great on piste & help you with your short swing development but it's still great for med/long turns. The M11 is waaay better than the RX8/5* off piste.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks spyderjon
If I can spare the time I'm going to try to demo the RX8 at Xscape thro EBrigs.
I hadn't considered the Metron, for no other reason than I've started off from what I already know, but I guess the shorter length would keep things lively, Q) I heard the metrons can be a little heavy = difficult to pivot in the bumps - am I barking up the wrong tree?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
BG, yes they are heavy so aren't great for hiking over your shoulder. They're certainly not heavy when skied as their swing weight is low. And their extra mass makes them extremely stable through crud & slush etc. They pivot very easily but they do require modern rather than traditional technique.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BG, most people got RX8 from ski-bilek, but I'm sorry to say that they appear to be out of stock now Sad - look under Carver-Ski Carver-Cross page 2. The Heads are both on the same page and the M:11 are under All Mountain-Ski. Have you tried eBay?

snowHead Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Spyderjon and Silkedges thanks both,
Point taken re the metrons.

I've taken a look on Ski-Bilek -I noticed a number of previous posts have recommended Ski Bilek, the site's in German, (obviously) mine’s a bit ropey but bablefish does a good job. Have people had positive experiences with them - ie do they deliver?

Back to ski selection, my perception from what I've read is that the RX8's and the 1100's seem to be generally classed as advanced / expert level and the RX6's and 800's for intermediate / advanced. I'm not a big fan of ability scales (one mans expert is another’s advanced and so on - or if you listen refer to S&R everybody is advanced...). I'd appreciate a steer from anyone who has skied these, recognises my experience level from my description and could give a recommendation either way, thanks..
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BG wrote:
I've taken a look on Ski-Bilek -I noticed a number of previous posts have recommended Ski Bilek, the site's in German, (obviously) mine’s a bit ropey but bablefish does a good job. Have people had positive experiences with them - ie do they deliver?

Back to ski selection, my perception from what I've read is that the RX8's and the 1100's seem to be generally classed as advanced / expert level and the RX6's and 800's for intermediate / advanced. I'm not a big fan of ability scales (one mans expert is another’s advanced and so on - or if you listen refer to S&R everybody is advanced...). I'd appreciate a steer from anyone who has skied these, recognises my experience level from my description and could give a recommendation either way, thanks..

Yes, I've bought two pair of skis fromthem (via eBay auctions). Both were delivered very promptly with a sensible system of collecting info about setting the bindings for me (boot lngth, DIN settings, etc).

I can't comment on the Head or Fischer skis, but I do own a recently acquired pair of Metron B5s. Loads of fun for short/medium radius turns and in the bumps, good in deeper and mixed snow conditions, but not so good at speed or on ice. They're also ludicrously heavy to carry (although this season's versions are a little bit lighter apparently), but you don't notice the weight when you're skiing them.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BG, I bought the RX8 from ski-bilek. The website isn't too diffic to negotiate once you get going! My German is non-existent, and I succeeded! As rob says, rapid delivery once they've got the readies off you.

It's a piste ski. Really a skier cross, so more general purpose than a slalom or a GS but defo not an off-piste ski. I've only skied it at MK so far so can't really say too much but they are great at short and medium carves and keep an edge well on MK ice while all around you lose theirs. Relatively forgiving with a moderately large sweet spot, stiffish rather than being truly stiff. Keep forwards on them and they rebound with a whip back. Reviews say they are stable at speed too and are well-liked and easy to get on with by most. Ski them quite short and I think they could be right for you too, but it's so personal you've got to test them.

I haven't skied it but I'm sure you'd have no problems with the RX6 and find them a good ski. Last years iXRC800 were a hoot but I think they had more of a sidecut than this years. I suspect they'll actually be a better all-round ski for that, so also worth considering.

Wear The Fox Hat has the meaner leaner version of the iXRC1100 (the SW) but I think he's away at the moment. I almost bought a pair of the SR II version but decided probably overcautiously that discretion was the better part etc... and got the RX8. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi I demo'd the RX8 in 165cm at Xscape today. Brilliant ski, started with some med to tight carves, pick a clear moment and off you go - no problem - feet apart engage the edges and just let them run... they really stay in their groves, great edge hold all the way down - unfortunately there wasn’t any ice to speak of and the slope's to narrow / short / crowded to develop anything above medium speed. Next tried short swings straight down the hill (a pretty efficient way to ski when the hill gets crowded) - fantastic ride - loads of rebound and the wide shovel makes engaging the next turn effortless. As slikedges has said you do need to keep forward on this ski - no sitting back and enjoying the view - I wouldn't call them tiring just in need of a little 'attention'. Would have liked to demo the RX6 for comparison but they only had it in a 160cm which was way to short. I had assumed that I'd prefer a 170 length to match my old volkls, but a quick side by side comparison showed the fischer 170 to be at least 30-40mm longer than my volkls, whilst the 165 I demo'd as only 20mm shorter, (I wish ski manufacturers would learn to use the same tape measure), the wider shovel on the fisher develops closer to the tip than my volkl's so in my view they have pretty much the same 'useful' length. I did think they were quite a heavy ski (It could have been the rental binding) although having said that trying a few pivoted turns wasn't a problem. They are defiantly top of my list I just wish they weren’t so damn expensive. I guess I'll have to hope Ski bilek get some new stock. A final word about EBrigs - this was the first time I'd demo'd a ski from them and the staff were helpful and efficient, even offered my wife a demo pair of her fav K2 one loves for good measure. After demo advice wasn't so impressive - they seem to want to point you toward 'freeride' models and didn't have much knowledge when asked to compare the cheaper RX6 to the RX8, still I'll just have to save my pennies.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
BG, Heavy? You should try carrying my World Cup SCs!!!!!! It's extraordinary how many shops are really pushing the freeride/freestyle skis at the moment - it's just fashion - they're pushing the real phats - just the fashion items!!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BG, Heavy?, You should try carrying my b5's!!!!!. And then I carried easiski's Fischer's. At least the same weight as my b5's but quite a bit shorter Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ok - heavy is an subjective term - I'll just say they weren’t quite as light as my old volkl's which to me was heavy, you guys with the B5 are in a different league - I heard that they limit the number of B5's on a lift for safety reasons...?

Anybody successfully used Ski-Bilek - they seem to have the RX8 @ 165 back in stock but I'm stuck on the purchase page - there's a box for mode of shipment - I think I want the GB,S option but I’m not sure???
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So, let's face it, B5s are overweight. They are skis that should go on a diet. Very Happy

The Head 1100SW is a good ski. Not too heavy. Handles the piste very well, and it keeps you on your toes.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i love my rx8's.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
I heard that they limit the number of B5's on a lift for safety reasons...?

I can't see that happening. If that was a case, surely they'd start limiting anyone ho was slightly over average weight too?
snow report
B5's mmmmmmm that will be from the megaton sorry metron range Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
So, let's face it, B5s are overweight. They are skis that should go on a diet. Very Happy

It's their owners that need to diet wink
latest report
BG, lots of people have used them, if you can't work out the website, call them
snow report
BG, I am sure you are aware but Ski-Bilek have some RX8 on ebay auction ending later today.

Fischer RX8

(as per previous thread I apologise if any other snowHead were watching this item)
snow report
Although I do like my Fischers, I would rather have Head.
snow report
A snowman without a head = limp carrot Sad
snow report
Ok I took the plunge - ordered a pair of RX8's in 165cm with the FX12 binding and waxed. Paid by Paypal, total cost incl tax and delivery - £304. Pretty chuffed at an approx £150 saving off uk list. Very Happy Got 2 emails (in english) today from Ski-bilek confirming receipt of payment and dispatch, ski's should be with me in a week - cant wait - will update when they arrive. Hats off to the Germans for customer service and efficency... Madeye-Smiley Thanks to all the snowheads for the advice! Very Happy Very Happy

Can't comment on the weight of B5 owners but the EBrig sales guy told me that his boss (6ft+ and 20st - allegedly) skies a pair of head C250's in 163cm - now that I'd like to have seen. wink
ski holidays
any update ??
ski holidays
Royal

Apologies for not posting this here Embarassed - I wrote this to Charlatanefc on his Fishcer RX8 post: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=11852

""I got my 165 RX8 delivered from Ski Bilek last Wed - very prompt, packaged well - excellent service & most recommended. I haven't tried them out yet, but did demo a pair at Xscape via EBrigs and loved them. Can't wait for my first snow of the season (Portes du Soleil) in just under 2weeks time....""

FYI - I ordered the skis on Thur 22nd Dec and they arrived Wed 28th not bad considering the Christmas weekend was in between. Only 5days to go until I can put them to the test on real snow, then again in Val at the end of Jan Very Happy I'll post an update on how I get on.
snow conditions
I've just returned from the PDS and I'd just like to add another glowing recommendation for the Fischer RX8's.
We had the full range of conditions during our stay, from hard packed pistes and icy steeps through 18" of fresh overnight powder and I have to say the Fischers blasted through everything on the mountain. Everything they tell you about this ski is true and then some Madeye-Smiley - They're incredibly easy to ski - at all speeds - with bullet proof hold on hard pack / ice, (I skied with an instructor one day and despite the yawning ability gap his Solomon's were noticeably sliding around whilst the Fischers just bit and held on), they blast through soft / chopped up snow with ease and despite the narrow waist (or is it my technique wink ) I'm sure they would do a decent job powder.
What a blast Very Happy

Only one complaint my 'still learning to stop without skiing into you' buddies and standard French lift queue etiquette have really done my top sheet in - it's scratched to buggery Mad , still I'm off again in a week, this time with the wife, I'll just have to break out the araldite - and as they say ski's are for using not for looking at.

PS to follow up on Charlatanefc's 'FISHER RX8' post – I’m defiantly glad I picked the 165's over the 170’s , (I'm 5' 10" 12 stone). For piste skiing, It’s a great choice for ease of short slalom turns and they just provide tonnes of grip so you never feel unstable at speed in longer arcs
Get some today.
ski holidays
Eveyone says how they grip on ice. Well mine didn't. Brill on everything but I dont think I could get crampons to grip on ice Puzzled
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, you're obviously not heavy enough then fella. You'll need to bulk up a bit before the EOSB Wink
snow conditions
Charlatanefc, Its probably down to technique Crying or Very sad The skis were wonderful and gripped and turned better than anything I have had on my feet (apart from some Ecco golf shoes that I had). I could find nothing negative to say about them. The FS12 railflex bindings were just a dream; light to use, quick relaease when needed, always clicked in and very stable feel when on the hoof.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just bought some- again from ski bilek Courchevel in 6 weeks can't wait. I'm 6ft 3 and 190 lbs so gone longer.
snow conditions
dan100, What length did you go for. I'm and inch taller and 75lbs heavier and went for 175s. They are great, but on the ice I think there is just tooooo much weight for any ski to keep an edge. BothCharlatanefc, and myself skied with them as they came, no service or waxing. I wound down the bindings to just over 6 as I am not a hard skiier and i NEED them off in a fall.
ski holidays
went for the 175s also - if at 6ft 3 you can't ski 175s -who can? There was some blurb from ski bilek about a security adjustment so the skis had to be taken to a ski shop. What is that about? Just need to make sure my Mrs doesn't find out I've bought them. Will be hidden in double ski bag!
ski holidays
Frosty/ Charlatanefc -did you have to have anything further done to your bindings for the security adjustment?
latest report
dan100, I gave them my boot sole length and the personal details requested. As said all I did was wind the bindings off a bit as I know what suits me. I tested the release and fit visually and manually before my holiday but that was it. Not heard of a "security adjustment"
snow report
Thanks-I'll check them when they get here
ski holidays
dan100, Dont forget the bucket. You will need it when you see the colour in daylight Very Happy
snow conditions
Dan100
I took mine to my local shop for a binding inspection just to make sure that they'd set my sole length correctly, I specified it to them via the website, the tech said that everything was set up just fine. Ski Bilek are a quality outfit nobody seems to have a bad word for them
Enjoy! Very Happy

Is that what boarders mean when they say the graphics are 'SICK'
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, I can't wait to see you ski at the EOSB. I bet all this is crap, and you're like an overgrown Franz Klammer Wink

dan100, no mate, just had them fitted to the length of my skiboot, and set the bindings to the same setting as my other ski's had been set up by a shop at. These were fine.
latest report
Charlatanefc, Slow skiier, but I do fall with great speed. Had great fun in Les Menuires on any long flatish bits singing (Frankie goes to Hollywood):
"make love your goal.........THE POWER OF THE LARD, A VOICE FROM UP ABOVE", as gravity worked its magic and the dump truck crushed al contenders in its path........yeeeehah. We went with some friends and their daughters 15 & 19 asked "John why are you so fast on the bits where we need to keep up speed.?"
My reply:
"well if you wear my skis, get your sister to strap her loaded suitcase to her back, and then if you piggy back her, then you'll know why.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, heh heh heh. Know the feeling matey, I was hurtling past my brother on flat bits in Chamonix, he was wearing Atomic Skiercross SX9's 170cm, without trying. One time when being "pleasantly plump" wasn't a hinderance Wink
ski holidays
My shiny new FX8s have arrived. v.happy with ski bilek service
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy