Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New touring skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

Well the Seven Summits 175s have finally bit the dust. They de-laminated at the tips for a second time despite good servicing and storing dry... perhaps I need to put it down to extended hut touring and associated freeze thawing. Any way back to the fun bit, replacing them. I am 6ft, 90ish kg, live in a ski resort for the last ten years and run ski touring trips quite a bit and tend to hoon about on and off piste a bit too quickly... I am looking for something for multi day touring as well as free-touring around the resort. My Dynafits were great for touring, light (with lo-techs), and easy to take up steep couloirs, but just a bit too short and skinny for all conditions though.

I am thinking Motion X xeries. http://www.movementskis.com/en/ski-collection/x-series/response-x-series/
but can't decide on length. the 177 or 185s?

What do you think? 185s would be great for powder but could they just be a bit too awkward when skinning up steeps etc.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
K2 Backup in 181cm. Great ski and a bargain at £229:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301353334841

or these Voile Vectors if you're very quick:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151465520612
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
182 Praxis GPO in the carbon ultra light core?

Whitedot Ranger?

DPS RPC?

Down CD110?

Black Crows Corvus?

I fondled the Black Diamond Carbon Megawatts in a shop today, VERY nice skis: lovely shape and incredibly light.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well I can get Motion and Dynastar skis at cost price from the manufacturers, so I was sticking to that line up. It was more the length that I am dithering over. I have always had relatively short touring skis. I was wondering whether to modernise to a wider and longer ski for down hill enjoyment and suck up the weight increase, or compromise and go for a little longer and wider.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@in garbure we trust, I downsized my touring skis this year. Last year I was on 193 4FRNT EHPs which were just too long to kick turn on steep slopes. This year I'll be using 184 DPS Lotus 120s which should hopefully be a lot easier - especially as the mount point is pretty far back on them.

For me (5 foot 9 and 68-70kg) I think low 180s and 115-120 is the best compromise for touring.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the tip "clarky999", I was worried about heading up into the 180s, but it sounds like it shouldn't be too much.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A good article here.

http://alpine-guides-blog.com/2014/11/14/2014-2015-ski-mountaineering-equipment-advice/
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tried the Movement Response in 177cm last season. I'm 6'1" 80 kg and length felt ok. A very nice light touring ski but with modern freeride shape. Didn't have great conditions to try them in, but seemed a very versatile ski. I'd question whether the extra cost of the carbon x-version is worth the fairly small weight saving (1.3kg Response, 1.16kg Response-X). Plus if you're tough on your skis carbon version might be less durable, have seen a few posts about x-series skis breaking.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
in garbure we trust wrote:
Thanks for the tip "clarky999", I was worried about heading up into the 180s, but it sounds like it shouldn't be too much.

Probably depends what you're doing really... most of the people I ski with/know who tour in these parts generally do so on long fat skis, but I'm not sure we really fit the 'typical tourer' mould... If your priority is to ski nice snow and interesting terrain in a 'freeride style' with a nice walk in the mountains coming second you should be good though.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@in garbure we trust,

I posted a similar question in the off piste forum recently. At the risk of being too obvious how awkward ski length is in uphill kick turns is rather dependent on how long your legs are (how much room you have to swing the tail through) !

I'm about 176cm / 78kg and have hut to hut toured on 184s. I found them a bit clumsy uphill but I'm not a very experienced ski tourer. I've concluded something 175-180 would be the best compromise for me.

Cheers
J
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy