Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Glasgow Xscape and helmets

Poster: A snowHead
I'm sure I read a thread some time ago about the Glasgow Xscape making it compulsory to wear helmets and now I can't seem to find it by doing a search- Did I imagine it?! Puzzled

Heading there next Sunday so if they're going to say we need helmets will have to remember to take mine along

Only just realised there are a load of snow heads going today- probably best that I avoid a ski test- may end up expensive!

Anyone know if you still get a discount if you've got a booking with Crystal? Think we're going to go next Sunday night where there is an offer for the full evening.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This has no factual basis but I think it's U16 for helmets or if you're doing free style stuff.

I'd have been there if it wasn't for the fact I'm going on a sunny holiday. It's going to be strange as this time of year I'm always thinking about mountains and snow, instead will be trekking through jungles etc.....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't fit into either of those criteria Very Happy

Enjoy your holiday and the sunshine!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just come back from Castleford andits compulsory for under 16's, and if your doing moguls,freestyle,ramps etc

Seem to think its also for lesspons but not 100% sure on that
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BASI state that helmets are compulsory at Braehead - it's actually called 'Snow Factor' now ... see first paragraph

http://www.basi.org.uk/content/braehead.aspx
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The slope's terms and conditions are clear on this ...

"Helmets are compulsory for all users unless excused upon medical grounds."

https://www.snowfactor.com/information/tcs/
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yeah definitely compulsory.

I went just after they changed the rule and ended up having to wear a lovely hire one! rolling eyes
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's completely bloody ridiculous.

As I recall there's only one ski region in the world - Nova Scotia? - that has a law demanding helmets for adult skiers.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
definitely compulsory for all slope users
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Their gaff: their rules.

snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
it's all down to insurance.....I asked one day just after the take over by Ice-factor...was being served by the manager and he said they have huge insurance overheads for so the insurance company said they would get a smaller premium if they forced everyone to wear helmets.......basic financial decision .....i don't see the problem
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for info, will defo take mine then Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tamworth have recently changed it to all people on lessons, all kids 16 and under and anyone using freestyle features. Makes sense really
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

As I recall there's only one ski region in the world - Nova Scotia? - that has a law demanding helmets for adult skiers.

You don't like the rule then stay away. Simples!

A couple of weeks ago when we were there an out of control newbie was heading straight for the bottom tow mechanism that unlike the other supports, was not padded. Her instructor was shouting at her to fall which thankfully she did. It would have been quite a mess and very serious without a helmet.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Still her choice tho rolling eyes
ski holidays
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

won't be visiting there then.
snow conditions
Why do folk have an issue with wearing a helmet. As far as I can see it makes sense and the sooner it's made compulsory the better
snow conditions
It's bloody ridiculous to take away skiers' essential freedom of choice over what they wear in a mountain environment. The fact that this is a mountain environment in a shed makes it doubly ridiculous.

[That remark includes the word "ridiculous" but it's not intended to be comedic]
ski holidays
The fact that it's a simulated mountain environment is entirely irrelevant in this instance. It's no different to say an indoor climbing wall or an indoor go-kart track. Each enterprise, for various health and safety or insurance related reasons, will view the compulsory wearing of helmets from an almost identical viewpoint and I doubt you'll come across hordes of people complaining about having to wear safety gear there.

Edit: just for clarity, I do not wear a helmet when skiing and at the moment have no plans to do so
ski holidays
SkiG wrote:
Still her choice tho rolling eyes

No it isn't. She has chosen to ski there and in doing so has to abide by the rules they set.

She does, of course, have a choice. She can choose to ski there or not.

@dsoutar sums it up perfectly. You do something in a controlled environment you follow thier rules.

I can ride a quad bike on my in-laws farm sans helmet. If i go on an organised event and use their quads I must follow thier requirement to wear a helmet. As i said earlier: Simples!
snow report
Quote:

Why do folk have an issue with wearing a helmet. As far as I can see it makes sense and the sooner it's made compulsory the better

Because some of us find it intolerable to wear a helmet when skiing, for me, it's like wearing an oven on my head, even in January, the helmet disrupted my balance and spacial awareness and I AM someone that risk compensates, ie the more protection that I wear the more risk I take or put another way, the less protection I wear the more carefully I ski, same on motorbikes, I ride a lot more carefully when I only have a pair of Jeans on instead of full gear. If I wore a helmet when skiing I would certainly put myself and others at greater risk of accident. Not everyone is like me, some are, but wearing a helmet makes perfect sense for some but not others and should remain a free choice.

Blinkered, narrow minded people like you are what spoils many activities for people.

When I am out on the mountain I would never consider being rude enough to question why someone wears a helmet but the amount of morons that feel it is their duty to lecture me on why I do not wear a helmet is really annoying.

I did take my helmet to the Snowheads ski test at Castleford last year because I knew that it was compulsory if I wanted to ski the moguls but I had to take it off going up the lift to let my head cool down, I would not have attended the event if it was compulsory to wear the helmet at all times, just as I would not visit any ski area where they are compulsory, there are currently many others willing to take my money
snow report
Probably some of this is due to stupid insurance companies insuring snowdomes, without any clue as to skiing and its low risk of head injuries ... which are hardly ever due to the facilities or even the inherent risk of the facilities.

Avoidance of head injuries is a function of the way one skis. Helmets don't help with that.
latest report
@Comedy Goldsmith,
Quote:

Helmets don't help with that.

No, but they help deal with the possible aftermath of you not functioning ideally when you ski. Mind you it was recently reported on SH that some of the snow domes can accumulate significant icicles on the ceilings and helmets were recommended to mitigate the possibility of the public getting hit over the head by lumps of ice.
snow conditions
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

Avoidance of head injuries is a function of the way one skis. Helmets don't help with that.

However it isn't a function of how anyone else on the mountain (or indoor slope) skis and that's certainly where helmets do help. Many people choose to wear helmets to mitigate someone else's actions, not their own. I know several people who have suffered head injuries or have seen others who have (fortunately none required admission to hospital overnight) as a consequence of other peoples actions and as a result they now wear helmets. A decision I find entirely understandable

As I said above, I don't but if I were to have a similar experience then who is to say I might change my mind.
snow conditions
I totally agree. When these places are really busy I do feel a bit more protected with a helmet on.

Biggest issue wearing a helmet indoors is looking stupid without goggles.............. Very Happy
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
Mind you it was recently reported on SH that some of the snow domes can accumulate significant icicles on the ceilings and helmets were recommended to mitigate the possibility of the public getting hit over the head by lumps of ice.

This strikes me as extremely significant - I've never heard of it (and I was writing about indoor snow from 1987-1989 onwards). It sounds like a serious humidity/condensation problem ... as reported by you. Can we reference this to an eye-witness or specific reported incidents? Where was this mentioned on sH?
snow conditions
@Comedy Goldsmith, Used to happen all the time at CFe. The snow blowers are set just above the steal work in the roof, so at night every now and again it required a poke with a pole or a rope to remove the build up of snow
snow conditions
@PaulC1984, Is this still the case? We're ski testing there next week and I haven't been before so no experience of their policy, though I couldn't see anything on the website about compulsory helmets. I mostly seem to bash my head on chairlifts, and there aren't any, so was just going to take a hat.

dsoutar wrote:

It's no different to say an indoor climbing wall or an indoor go-kart track. Each enterprise, for various health and safety or insurance related reasons, will view the compulsory wearing of helmets from an almost identical viewpoint and I doubt you'll come across hordes of people complaining about having to wear safety gear there.

I've never worn a helmet climbing indoors, and don't know anywhere that insists on them. Is there somewhere you know of that does? As climbing helmets are generally worn to protect from falling stones, they surely aren't necessary indoors, unless the roof is falling in, and at that point I think you're got bigger problems.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
im not aware of any helmet policy at CFe, other than racing or using features (seems sensible enough doesn't it). At Tamworth helmet policy is for features, lessons and kids under 16. They have bought loads of new helmets and you are told when picking up skis / getting ready
ski holidays
@Comedy Goldsmith, here we go - nothing wrong with my memory. It was the reference to Braehead in this thread that actually reminded me that it was same snow dome as when it was originally mentioned that they had gone compulsory helmets http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=104426&start=80#2394989 In fact given that you were part of the thread I am surprised you missed it, unless, of course, that was because the reference didn't play to your agenda Puzzled
ski holidays
@MCL, jeez, you're probably sorry you asked.....
snow conditions
@Scarlet, CFe require helmets to be worn by anyone on any terrain features be them rails, moguls or skier-x and I think kids as well ( but not 100% sure re the kids ).

Re the ice falling from the gantry saw that in October about 3 weeks ago. That was also the first time I witnessed it at CFe. So yes it is worth wearing a helmet there if you have one.
snow conditions
@PaulC1984, @speed098, thanks, I'll stick them in the bag. Funnily enough, "beware falling debris" isn't mentioned on the website Confused
latest report
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
Probably some of this is due to stupid insurance companies insuring snowdomes, without any clue as to skiing and its low risk of head injuries ... which are hardly ever due to the facilities or even the inherent risk of the facilities.

+ the way everyone else skis in an crowded, variable condition artificial environment. It's fine to have an opinion but it helps to know how many unguided missiles there are in the average snow dome. I've bren taken out by an otherwise respectable middle aged woman who I didn't have the heart to shoulder barge to the ground.
snow report
That's the point. A snowdome is a perfect environment to lay down the law on what's to be expected in terms of skier behaviour. Bloody learn to ski and control your planks [so we have a nice safe recreational skiing environment] or get out of here, and go down to Nando's for something that'll probably give you more pleasure.

Ski helmets do not protect other vital organs commonly damaged in violent collisions. And there's no way, personally, I'd ski anywhere that enforces lids.

A shed is not actually a fantasy skiing environment [it is a dispensable one] and is definitely avoidable if it forces one to wear some lice-ridden bucket from the rental shop.
ski holidays
What have I started! Laughing
latest report
Sorry, the above (which I won't edit) might be interpreted as slightly negative about snowdomes - which perform a very positive function on the UK ski scene and are really enjoyable places to ski. This is purely about helmets and enforcement. If snowdomes want to put up a sign saying "We recommend that you wear a helmet when skiing here" that's absolutely fine by me. Making it 'law' is quite a different matter!
ski holidays
@Comedy Goldsmith, how about if they were enforced to save your bonce from falling ice?
latest report
@Megamum, You could rationally extend that argument to those visiting listed buildings as some of them are crumbling before our eyes... I'd say if there was a significant risk of large lumps of ice falling then there is a clear health and safety issue which means people shouldn't be skiing (with or without helmets).

The helmet wouldn't help you if you happened to be looking up and a bit of ice landed in Your face.
ski holidays
I always love the thread which becomes "My cahoonies are so big, I can't wear a helmet".
But why do you all keep posting on public forums? What do you hope to achieve?

Your personal battle with a sweaty scalp/spacial awareness/danger awareness probably does not qualify you instruct the rest of the world. 90% of skiers who wear helmets don't share your problem.

Its a free choice whether you wash your hands after you've been to the loo.
Just in case I'm following behind you, I'd rather you did.

Its actually not about you, its about all those you will affect should get it wrong.
Unless, of course, it IS all about you. And THATS why you keep posting.. Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy