Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Crystal cancel ski guiding in Italy

Poster: A snowHead
just had an email through saying that due to 'local legal restrictions' theyre doing away with the guiding service. Bit of a shame as weve always found it useful in a new resort to find out whats where!!!!!!!

One of the main reasons we go with Crystal

Sad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It is a great shame. I used to go solo on ski trips which was a bit hit or miss but the ski guiding ensured you had someone to ski with. Whilst being led by the crystal guiding service I have met some buddies, two off which have become regular ski buddies and good friends enriching my life. The loss of amateur ski guiding is not a major issue for me anymore as but I now go with a buddy or with Snowheads & often impromptu groups form & if no one else wants to lead I can do that.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Interested to see what the local legal restrictions are - personally I suspect an easy route for TOs to employ a whole pile less people for the season (without lowering their prices, obviously!) and blame it on local rules and regs that don't actually exist.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Out if interest, which resort in Italy? Regulations for instructing (which may or may not be relevant to this) are decided regionally not nationally.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob we are off to champoluc, but the email suggested it was all of italy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mistress Panda wrote:
Interested to see what the local legal restrictions are

Same as pretty much everywhere.... ski instructor (even if disguised as "ski guide") needs to have certain level of certification. If not, you pay penalty, spend night in jail and then complain how unfair world is.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i just started a sepreate thread before i read this ( i seem to that a lot LOL) my holiday is also champlouc, they only have one rep in the area, so they will get bored without skiing !! we used it the first time we went there and it was fun.. don't use it now though, but still a shame
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@iskar, @rob@rar, I've just had the same email about a trip to Sestriere/Milky Way we have booked in December
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Will this be the same in the Dolomites? I know half the Sella Ronda falls into the south Tyrol which is an autonmous province. Would the same rules apply in such an area?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I reckon it will be all of Italy, suspect it could be a way of saving money by the TO's but still...what do the reps do when not skiing ? or is it cheaper to employ non skiers as reps ?
we skied with a rep first time in Champoluc and wife really enjoyed, as did the rep, she got to have a laugh and meet poeple plus not ski on her own.. !!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
they appear to be still offering 'social' skiing in other countries tho' (including France!!)

http://www.crystalski.co.uk/about-crystal/social-skiing/
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

what do the reps do when not skiing ?

@yorkshirelad, ski on their own or with their mates? Sounds great from their perspective Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's the same for Pila !
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote

Out if interest, which resort in Italy? Regulations for instructing (which may or may not be relevant to this) are decided regionally not nationally.

Also got their email, includes Passo Tonale so would guess it applies to all Italian Resorts
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It seems to be all of Italy. I've been doing some digging, and Inghams and Neilsons are still offering the service:

http://www.powpowpow.org/crystal-cancels-ski-hosting-in-italy/
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Out if interest, which resort in Italy?

Had an email about Cervinia.
snow report
I wouldn't worry even an app eill probably have better skiing skills than the average Crystal rep. I see a gap in the market for social intros ( Off to invent Skinder)
ski holidays
Does that mean I don't have to drag a group of snowHead round the dolomites on the S11BB?
snow conditions
We had a great time with a ski host on our last TO trip, showed the host some great places to eat.
ski holidays
Quote:

Does that mean I don't have to drag a group of snowHead round the dolomites on the S11BB?

no, please do..... Little Angel
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
I wouldn't worry even an app eill probably have better skiing skills than the average Crystal rep. I see a gap in the market for social intros ( Off to invent Skinder)

as they were 'guiding' that was never a problem, in fact a few years back in sauxe i actually ended up giving some free instruction to one of the lads, but they were good fun and we got to know the runs very quickly with them, and then another year we went to La Thuile and the 'guide' got lost so i ended up tail end charley of the group as he struggled on unpisted runs.....now that was funny Razz
snow report
I've updated the post with some more info:

In a nutshell :

Inghams and Neilson aren't withdrawing the service
Cortina tourism aren't aware of any 'new' regulations and suggest it's simply enforcement of existing regulations, but are unable to conclusively confirm the legal position.
snow conditions
Bumpdate (bump and update)

Inghams have stated :
Quote:
due to recent information from Italy we are reviewing our ‘Meet the Piste’ session

I've updated the article with further info

snow conditions
Inghams I understand are withdrawing their service throughout Italy
snow conditions
So those 'outraged of snowheads' on the various ESF threads proclaiming they were taking their bath toys away from France and off to Italy have a bit of a dilema now.
snow report
I wonder if this will also apply to Ski Club leaders - and will Switzerland and Austria follow soon?
snow conditions
@emwmarine, looks like it.
ski holidays
@emwmarine, OTOH some Italian regions have recently become more liberal in their attitude to instructors with non-ISTD BASI quals. Mixed picture in Italy, protectionism-max in France.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@laundryman, now now you know that is not true. France is max protection for professional ski instructor but least protectionist about setting up ski schools or working independently. But lets not let inconvenient facts get in the way of an agenda eh wink
ski holidays
emwmarine wrote:
So those 'outraged of snowheads' on the various ESF threads proclaiming they were taking their bath toys away from France and off to Italy have a bit of a dilema now.

That was only ever hot air surely. The whole thing remains silly - those Brits skiing like goats behind a neophyte gappy who has only marginally more sense of direction than they have will simply become unherded goats. No one will be leaping into the bosom of ski schools to have the "guided tour" lesson. The social side is the obvious loss to Brits but is easily sorted by a meet for coffee here at 11 type function early in the week.
snow report
emwmarine wrote:

That was only ever hot air surely. The whole thing remains silly - those Brits skiing like goats behind a neophyte gappy who has only marginally more sense of direction than they have will simply become unherded goats. No one will be leaping into the bosom of ski schools to have the "guided tour" lesson. The social side is the obvious loss to Brits but is easily sorted by a meet for coffee here at 11 type function early in the week.

I wonder if they would try to take that approach, so instead of actual guiding they offer "suggested itineraries" aimed at different standards, with a couple of timed meeting points along the way. Where a rep will be waiting to meet you and get a kickback from the restaurant/bar for bringing more business in.
ski holidays
emwmarine wrote:

thank you from a 'goat'...... NehNeh Cool
snow conditions
All that will happen if the TO have any sense is that the designated leader will not wear a uniform and unfortunately be chased all round the mountain even into the bars and cafes were a load of strangers will ply them with coffee etc etc to console them wink

Anyone know if Chemmy fancy's the job ? Just imagine a load of intermediots chasing her round for the week Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Why would the TOs want to pay for ski leaders, other than, the others are doing it.
latest report
This won't really change anything.. Reps will just ski out of uniform with their newly found mates.
snow report
You would be surprised how many people book with TO's like Crystal because the specifically want to use the social ski side of things. You see even really good skiers in the groups, its a great way to meet people. We used to use it a lot when the kids were young and we had to ski individually while the other one looked after the kids.

I think its too late for this year, but I bet Crystal has social skiing set up with local ski schools in Italy by next season (Like France is now).
snow conditions
emwmarine wrote:

You talkin' to me?
I'm someone who switched to Italy at least partly because of this issue, no need for schadenfreude.

Hopefully the company we've booked with for this season (third time running) will be able to fly under the radar - their hosts don't wear uniform. If necessary I guess they'll switch to the "meet here for coffee, meet here for lunch" model.

Fwiw my only experience of ESF instruction was very positive but I think they're being dicks about both the ski hosting and the equivalence issues.
snow report
I used to like the rep guide system, last time i tried to give some input / requests to a chap he sort of looked blank and distant, sniffed and said something like he didn't know that side of the mountain and the plan was usually to go over here. Not at all confrontational just I knew that input was not worth pursuing. On the other hand long ago was a great character who kept us out till the wee hours (still in ski gear mind you) then was all ready to roll fresh and early the next day - got my first off piste lessons from that guy with a quick "we're not supposed to go off piste so don't tell anyone OK".
snow conditions
Having had to help reps who were supposed to be guiding us off the mountains after the lifts close and see them take groups down off-piste ski routes which the group could not handle was somewhat entertaining but begs the question who really is thinking about this.

It is also disconcerting how much abuse the French get on here while the Italians get none. It seems many people form a view based on no knowledge of the rules and regulations or reasons for them or chose to misinterpret them. You then have to question what people's motives are.

If this is a service that people really want then far better that it is offered by someone who is qualified to do it for an appropriate fee. If it is not something that people are willing to pay for then it is not something that they really value.
ski holidays
[quote]reps who were supposed to be guiding us off the mountains after the lifts close and see them take groups down off-piste ski routes which the group could not handle[/quote]
Funny that, I've seen a highly qualified ESF instructor do exactly the same thing.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy