Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites 2014-2015 : Arabba/Selva/Corvara/Canazei etc......

Poster: A snowHead
pjd wrote:
@Mollerski, . The Alta Badia is looking sad though, with lots of runs closed.

Is this correct? The offical site says that only the T Bar lifts in Corvara and San Cassiano are closed currently. Says 48 out of 53 are open and 100 out of 130 km is open. That doesnt sound like a lot closed to me?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How do you get to seiseralm from selva ? Is it best to get a bus to st Ulrich or ski to Monte pana via ciampinoi and take the plateau bus shown on the piste map ?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Peter S - If you get the bus to Ortisei (St Ulrich) the bus may drop you off in the centre. In which case you will have to walk to the Seiser Alm gondola. I think its roughly a ten minute walk. If you do the Monte Pana option then the connecting bus to Seiser Alm takes about 20 minutes and you have to pay for that bus. Another option is to take the Selva-Ortisei ski bus and get off in St Christina at the 2 seater chairlift (which is just past the end of the World cup run) and take the chairlift up to Monte Pana and then the bus.

I dont actually know if you can ski to Monte Pana directly from Ciampinoi? Piste map does not show any option for this unless there is a slope/trail not shown on the map. You would have to ski down to Plan De Grabla and then get the cable car up to Piz Sella and then ski down to MOnte Seura and then Monte Pana. Personally I would take the bus unless there is another easier way I'm not aware of
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
irie wrote:
Kruisler wrote:
Is that true of all resorts in France?

Unsurprisingly it's a generality. Smile

Really? wink

For the record I'm a frenchman who loves skiing in Austria so I was neither trying to particularly defend French resorts (which I think can be very good from an infrastructure point of view) or have a go at Austrian ones (which have been nothing but very welcoming to me..).
It's the "rip off" thing that I find quite hypocitical on this forum. The French resorts charge what their market can sustain.. Basic rule of capitalism isn't it? Nobody seem to bat an eyelid when buying designer gear which is very often over priced (even if quality..). The minute people stop being willing to pay those prices, or not come at all because they're all so offended at Mr Butler's treatment, they'll have to bring them down.
In the mean time you and I can enjoy quieter/cheaper skiing elsewhere...each to their own..

Anyway, I was looking at this thread as I'm off to Selva on the 17th so I am looking forward to my first skiing experience in Italy. Shame the snow isn't as good as I'd hoped..
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jimmybog wrote:
pjd wrote:
@Mollerski, . The Alta Badia is looking sad though, with lots of runs closed.

Is this correct? The offical site says that only the T Bar lifts in Corvara and San Cassiano are closed currently. Says 48 out of 53 are open and 100 out of 130 km is open. That doesnt sound like a lot closed to me?

Well, early last week it was rubbish! Terrible queues from the bottom of the only run open from Col Alt. The long blue into Corvara - no 5? - was closed. This may have improved now because of artificial snow I suppose.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks PJD for the update. Yes , artifical snow may have improved the situation. I imagine there was chaos if run number 5 was closed at the time?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks Jimmy, excellent advice. Bus to the 2 person chair then monte pana to seiseralm sounds easiest.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Peter S, if you get the ski express bus from Selva to St Christina then you may need to change busses in St Christina at busstop "Dosses". Then you would get a local ski bus down to the Monte Pana chair. Have a look at the timetables and routes in the link shown below. Also you may want to double check with the tourist office in Selva for which bus to get and whether you need to change. Looking at the timetable for the ski express bus, I dont think it stops at the Monte Pana chair

http://www.valgardena.it/en/val-gardena/information-services/bus-schedule/
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@jimmybog, yep it was pretty grim! There was a section, about 1km from Corvara, where the snow simply disappeared. Some elected to ski this as far as they could, carrying their skis over the grass, and then rejoining the run just before the number 29 (village yellow) chair. Others, including my group, took off our skis and instead walked over to the still open red 4 for the final homeward section, making the last bit of that polished and narrow run appallingly crowded. It wouldn't have taken that much artificial snow to patch the run up so hopefully this has now been done.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Kruisler, Happy Birthday Very Happy
I'm off to Corvara on the 18th, so also hoping for more snow.
Of course what I said about France was a generality - I probably should have said "most of the Tarentaise" to be more accurate.
I think/hope you will be pleasantly surprised by the Dolomites Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Freddie Paellahead,
Thanks! Very Happy
Can't wait now, snow or no snow.. Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Freddie Paellahead wrote:
I'm off to Corvara on the 18th, so also hoping for more snow.
Of course what I said about France was a generality - I probably should have said "most of the Tarentaise" to be more accurate.
I think/hope you will be pleasantly surprised by the Dolomites Very Happy

Here's wishing you a good dump before the 18th - if you get my drift.

I'm not there until 22nd March so plenty of time but is it just me noticing that all the forecasts of a promising amount of snow a week or so out get scaled back to a pitiful dusting after a couple of days. I tend to look at Bergfex so perhaps it's just them.
Anyway the Dolomites are way overdue some proper snow - I like looking at snowy mountains on the webcams, white man-made pistes on green fields not so much.

http://www.starrylink.it/webcam/pedraces/pedraces1M.jpg
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
[quote="agw"]

I'm not there until 22nd March so plenty of time but is it just me noticing that all the forecasts of a promising amount of snow a week or so out get scaled back to a pitiful dusting after a couple of days. I tend to look at Bergfex so perhaps it's just them.
Anyway the Dolomites are way overdue some proper snow - I like looking at snowy mountains on the webcams, white man-made pistes on green fields not so much.

http://www.starrylink.it/webcam/pedraces/pedraces1M.jpg

I suspect its just the bergfex site. I've been checking the GFS temperature/precipitation ensembles for the past two weeks and cant remember at any time seeing a decent snowfall being forecast a week away. Even now its looking like very little snow for the next week.

And yes a decent dump is well overdue now. I'm still planning a March trip to Corvara but am holidng off booking any flights for now.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Peter S, That's how we get from Seiser Alm onto the Sella Ronda. So get to the bottom of Monte Pana and from there take the 20 minute bus @ €3 on way/€5 return to Saltria where you've got the Floralpina and Florian lifts on the Seiser Alm. The bus is on a dirt track through the forest about every 30 minutes except for at lunch time when it is every hour (I think) because this is when the drivers, err, eat their lunch.

The Seiser Alm pistes are beautifully maintained. We leave tomorrow after 10 days but are back again on Feb 23rd for another 10 days. Another grandchild due tomorrow but we told DIL to keep her legs crossed until we got back! Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@irie, just wondered if they'd opened the run at the top of Florian down to the bottom of Floralpina via the sledge run and Luis Trenker hut yet? It was shut at NYEar as was the bit at the too of Florian on the main piste that goes round the side - although they were pumping out the artificial snow there.
ski holidays
If that's the run that starts to the right of Williams Hutte (as you look down from the top) which starts out as a toboggan run and goes sharp right past a little church (I think?) then yes that's open and in excellent condition now (went down there yesterday). One of Mrs irie's favourites ...

And the "bit round the side" is now also open.
snow report
@irie, great thanks. I'm back there in a few weeks for a weekend so will give them a go!
snow report
@Peter S, We made a day of it when we went over to Seiseralm, up Ciampinoi, and down Sasslong, over on the underground train and lifts up to top of Seceda and down the long run to Ortisei, moving walkway in to town, and stroll across the road bridge to cable car to Monte Piz, and then play among the blues Madeye-Smiley
latest report
From Seiseralm you can also get the gondola from Compatsch - if you end up that side of Seiseralm - down to Seis and from there it's a free ski bus back to Ortisei/ St Ulrich. Just 20 mins and there's a good apres ski bar at the bottom of the gondola. Check the times of the bus though - numer 4 -as they don't run that often.
snow report
http://www.valgardena.it/en/val-gardena/information-services/bus-schedule/
snow report
And this is the one for the Seis - St Ulrich service

http://www.silbernagl.it/smartedit/documents/fahrplaene/ah_l4_w14_web.pdf
ski holidays
Thank you for all the info. This is the place to ask Cool

Sella Ronda now reporting all 196 lifts and all 444kms open.

Remarkable when you consider how little snow there has been so far this year south of the alpine ridge. Tignes\VDI is still only only two thirds open.

The bad news however is the plus 15c temps and 30 mph winds forecast for Saturday......... Hope its short lived Puzzled Shocked
snow conditions
www.bergfex.com/groeden-seiser-alm/wetter/berg

One warm day won't cause much of a problem - the existing snow cover will insulate the ground preventing it warming up so that when the temperature drops the next day the snow from snow canon will settle just fine.
snow conditions
slightly off topic -- anybody used the new Borest lift?? (just curious as to where the top end point is and whether it is a gondola or chair...)
ski holidays
It's a gondola, runs from Boe lift, and finishes next to the edelweiss gondola wink

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 8-01-15 0:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Peter S wrote:

The bad news however is the plus 15c temps

No way, not in Jan. Anything above zero is ridiculously warm for the area at this time of year.
latest report
Bartezki wrote:
It's a gondola, runs from Boe lift, and finishes next to the edelweiss gondola wink

Is this the one that used to be the 2 way chairlift between Colfosco and Corvara? If so, I used it a few times last week. It's very efficient, cutting down the queues substantially. It finishes marginally higher at Corvara so not quite so much of a pole to the travelator that takes you up to the yellow chair. But you can no longer wave and shout at people passing in the opposite direction and going towards Dantercepies the queue on the chair after this new gondola is still bad.
ski holidays
that's what I thought.
instead of 4 man chair feeding directly in to 4 man chair (that often has a queue) then a short slide to a 8 person gondola (for those going anticlockwise), it's now 8 person gondola feeding a 4 man chair (minus any people that go do a loop of edelweiss while they wait for the queue to go down). since they didn't make new Borest go all the way to the Plans-Frara gondola, that 4 man chair is going to have to be replaced imho. with at least a fast 6 (nobody fills gondolas to capacity, so prolly won't need an 8er)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pjd, yes, instead of 2 queues you only have the one, which was always the worst one anyway. Hopefully they may sort that out for next season.
Shame about the waving on the chairs, we were once on that lift with 2 lads who shouted and waved at every chair that passed, whether occupied or not. Funny for the first 10, but you could always consider mooning!!
snow conditions
Bartezki wrote:
@pjd, yes, instead of 2 queues you only have the one, which was always the worst one anyway. Hopefully they may sort that out for next season.
Shame about the waving on the chairs, we were once on that lift with 2 lads who shouted and waved at every chair that passed, whether occupied or not. Funny for the first 10, but you could always consider mooning!!

Shame that fun will disappear, and you just don't get the traffic on the flat one to Santa croce
ski holidays
It looks like the ensembles show some precipitation building up from next Thursday, still too far away, but at least is a change, and a much needed one. The GFS shows 40 cm for Friday, the ECMWF (yr.no) half of it.

ski holidays
We skied Corvara three years ago at Easter. It had not snowed for a month and was very warm. Pretty much the whole area was open as the snow making is phenomenal. I even poled through the golf course on a 6m wide track whilst people were playing golf which was slightly surreal. As one Austrian guy, who'd been There for tha last month told me ' They make amazing amounts of snow around here'
ski holidays
Snowing at the moment in Alta Badia (looking at the Webcams). Bergfex forecasting 15cm today, more Friday/Saturday. Since I am going on Sunday, this makes me more than a little happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

+1
snow conditions
just back from a week in Corvara warm did not snow but the pistes were super as has been said their snow making is phenomenal great skiing though heavy late in day
latest report
@qatourism1, thanks, very reassuring
ski holidays
I can't work out how to post images so here's a link to my FB page. It shows my son on a lift with the run we'd just done behind him. I took it as I was simply stunned by the snow making capabilities in the Dolomites. This was doing the Sella Ronda anticlockwise, heading back over towards Arraba after dropping in to the valley and crossing the main road.

This was April 2012. The snow was very soft but very deep all the way down to the valley where it was getting up to 20 degrees

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151467375060291&set=pb.709920290.-2207520000.1421058129.&type=3&theater[/img][/table][/quote]
snow conditions
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
I can't work out how to post images so here's a link to my FB page.

One way is to open an account in the snowMedia zone and upload the photo(s) there, which you can then copy and paste into a post. (you access the snowMedia zone by clicking on the snowbase link at the top of the page).
snow report
or remote link actual jpg images in [ img ] tags (without those spaces).
bonus being that any facebook/flikr/picasaweb (etc.) permissions are totally overridden, and saves uploading pics to multiple sites.
snow report
A big dump forecast on Friday/Saturday for the Obereggen area! Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy