Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites 2014-2015 : Arabba/Selva/Corvara/Canazei etc......

Poster: A snowHead
www.bergfex.com/latemar-obereggen/wetter/prognose
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Anyone in the dolomites got any first hand reports of how they did for snow? Looks nice on webcams...

Booked for Corvara in a couple of weeks so very interested in conditions now!!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes. Big falls overnight and continuing this morning when leaving. Some roads closed. Should be a good week. Would estimate 15-20cm in Colfosco village.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cool! Looks nice in the webcams , going to Ortisei on the 30th January and coming week looks like more snow coming snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@alanhay, cheers, not huge but more than welcome snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Plenty snow here in Corvara/Arabba. Pistes in excellent condition.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Where does the Ski Club get it's snow reports from? About 30cm fell in Corvara and over half a metre in Arabba yesterday.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
erica2004 wrote:
Where does the Ski Club get it's snow reports from?

Usually, from about a week ago..... wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@erica2004, great news can't wait now, first time in the dolomites after 20 years skiing!!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
neilkav wrote:
@erica2004, great news can't wait now, first time in the dolomites after 20 years skiing!!

Same here!! Finally after 18 years Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Good dump in Obereggen/Val di Fiemme areas, FB friends have posted some excellent looking photos Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In Corvara. Skied in Pralongia all day. Decent on-piste conditions with snow level at about village level (so green off piste in eg La Villa
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Freddie Paellahead, how high is "village level"? Are the pistes below the current snow level all artificial?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Corvara is at 1568m. Yes the pistes below this are artificial snow but beautifully maintained
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Freddie Paellahead, Ah, the recent snow obviously fell to much lower levels here; everything white as far as the eye can see down in the valley at about 680m. Let's hope it falls to lower levels before long. Though after last year I'd go for sunshine and well groomed slopes over snowmageddon and everything shut. Not that it was like that in Corvara - but we couldn't get to Corvara..... wink
ski holidays
Just been checking the webcams (after my return from Morzine) - conditions look superb on the Ronda :: Birthday Bashers must to breathing a sigh of relief !! Hard to believe it has been a year since the Arabba 'Snowmageddon' ....
latest report
Skied Sella Ronda green today. All piste in excellent condition though harder patches at lower levels. Small patch of ice (looked like something had leaked) above the nursery slopes in Selva. Red piste leading into Arabba from Portados opened very late in the day and reportedly mainly grass mud and ice. Marmolada reportedly poor cover heading towards Malga Ciapella and quite lumpy up high.
snow report
We skied Sella Ronda orange today with a group and owner of the hotel we're in. All pistes perfect. No ice or mud in sight. I think Freddie is in a different resort Puzzled
snow report
@erica2004, very specific run that I am referring to and also I made it clear that I had not skied it myself. I also said "All pistes in excellent condition" on Sella Ronda green". Have you skied into Arraba from Portados today? It was closed when we went past at about 2.30 so we had to take lift 9 up and come down via the red that passes the mid-station of the gondola. The resort manager came round Sella green later than us and they had opened the previously closed red and her boyfriend had to take off his skis and walk down.
latest report
Off piste report Arabba skied the anteni at padonn 2 good coverexellent powder .north face marmolarda down to the dam untracked 60cmdeep to be found padon south poor cover but lold red run under the road to malga best condition in recent yesrs skirs hard right along rock face to fedaia good un blown powder safe ski
snow report
Snowing since midday Very Happy lovely soft powdery stuff making pretty individual flakes. Perhaps 3-5cm so far at village level.
snow conditions
Freddie Paellahead wrote:
Snowing since midday Very Happy lovely soft powdery stuff making pretty individual flakes. Perhaps 3-5cm so far at village level.

Thanks Freddie, which resort are you staying in??
snow conditions
@jimmybog, he's probably out skiing now, but I think he's in Corvara (just over the pass from Arabba but can be totally different weather - last year, when Arabba was buried in snow, there were very ordinary sort of amounts in Corvara).
snow report
Quote:

very ordinary sort of amounts in Corvara

Crikey Pam, I want to ski with you Cool

I was in Corvara second week of Feb last year and it was the most snow I'd seen at resort level for 44 years snowHead
ski holidays
We were there 1st week Feb. More than usual in Corvara (they had been dumping some snow in the river, and they were removing a 5m high mound from the Boe lift carpark when I fitted the snowchains), but that was peanuts compared to Arabba.
Driving up from Brunico, roads were totally clear right thru Corvara, all the way up the hairpins pretty much to the top of Campolongo. Only there did it become a definite snowchains / 4WD effort, with pass closure and snow walls far too high for my liking.
ski holidays
Quote:

Driving up from Brunico, roads were totally clear right thru Corvara, all the way up the hairpins pretty much to the top of Campolongo.

Exactly. We passed signs saying that the Campolongo was shut, all the way up the valley, with clear roads and no particularly large volumes of snow around (e.g. no huge walls of snow ploughed up alongside the road). We decided just to keep going until stopped, then turn back and find a B & B for the night. Then when I asked the Italian policeman on the pass whether I could get through to Arabba he looked at me as though that was a very silly question and said I could. I asked about chains but he looked at my wheels and said no. He also said they'd be closing the pass at 4 pm, so it wasn't a silly question, actually. The road was clear all the way though the walls of snow were very intimidating and driving down into Arabba everything was absolutely buried. Never seen anything like it. We only realised lots of cars were buried when their owners came and started to try to dig them out, burrowing through a couple of feet of snow to find a window to peep in and identify what car it was.

The sign for our hotel was buried, and I was busy looking at the road but Raven spotted the top of it. There was no comparison between the snow in Arabba and that in Corvara; it was like two different worlds on either side of the pass.

It was not at all cold. Skiing later in the week (when we could get out of Arabba) there was some quite ropey, slushy, snow around at the lower levels of the Sella Ronda.
snow report
impressed that either of you saw that hotel sign tbh. It was well and truly buried. think I might have been able to squeeze in 1 car when I drove past. Normally there's space for ca. 10 (with double parking).

I called admin from Piculin lift to find out the situation. He told me chains or 4WD from Corvara on. After doing all those hairpins with chains on naked tarmac and rivers running down, both I and Alastair Pink thought admin was telling us BS. Then the real snow appeared!
ski holidays
Quote:

I and Alastair Pink thought admin was telling us BS. Then the real snow appeared!

Laughing It was like "Alice through the Looking Glass". I didn't use chains over the pass and had no problem, but once I had to try and squeeze the car into some parking spot in Arabba I put them on. I did squidge my car into the drive of the Bellavista but with serious doubts whether I would ever get it out again. Only did so with much help from Alastair and Neddy Ski Goon with digging, and another passing Snowhead who reversed the car up out of the snowdrift with more verve and throttle than I could summon up. It shot out like a cork out of a bottle. wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My winter tyres were getting a bit thin on the tread side. I could have made it over, since it was not icy, but proper snow. As far as Bellavista at least (if it had clear parking). But driving up and round Portoevescovo I know is always a bit dicey. Had I known, I'd have put them on at one of the hotels at the top in creaky snow, rather than a wet slushy carpark at the bottom with a 40ton tipper truck passing every 5 mins, with a JCB filling it from that mound of snow.

Reminds me. Still need to buy another spade!
ski holidays
still... it's looking cold in the next days Smile
latest report
Quote:

Reminds me. Still need to buy another spade!

I shall be bringing mine.... wink Last year was the first time I'd ever been in Arabba so I had no idea where I was going and no signposts or street names were visible. Laughing
snow report
The snow continued overnight and in total there was about 5cm in Corvara. We went to Santa Croce in the morning as the weather continued to improve with lots of sunshine but occasional patches of low cloud. Underfoot the morning's gorgeous soft snow gradually got heaped up into soft bumps. The snow level was down below Badia but temps rose and the lower stuff was melting as we crossed back past La Villa. Birthday Bash people can look forward to great skiing but off piste lower down may put your bases at risk unless there is substantial more snow.
latest report
Naive question . Which week is the Birthday bash ?
latest report
1st week in feb
and the pre BB is next week
ski holidays
@Peter S, 31 Jan-7 Feb
latest report
I'm in Corvara that week. Will look out for a bunch of WHs flying past on lap 3 of the Sella Ronda!

I'll be the grey bearded chap on Tele skis. Feet together, red Berghaus jacket.

Say Hi. snowHead Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

I'll be the grey bearded chap on Tele skis. Feet together

that sounds like unusual technique - we'll look out for you. wink
ski holidays
A brilliant day today - Corvara to Ortisei and back via the Colfosco valley. The pistes are in superb condition generally and the only vaguely duff bit was the short stretch down to the Dantercepies lift which was unsurprisingly lumpy by mid afternoon. Skied the Reds and black in Colfosco for the first time to "finish off" the day. We left there at 4 pm and they were still magnificent.
Yesterday's light snow fall has disappeared low down off piste.
snow conditions
Freddie Paellahead wrote:
only vaguely duff bit was the short stretch down to the Dantercepies lift which was unsurprisingly lumpy by mid afternoon. .

That's usual, it's a high traffic Sella Ronda pinch point along with Ciampinoi. The kids used to have great fun repeatedly hurtling down a chopped up Dantercepies to round the day off. wink
ski holidays
@Freddie Paellahead, thanks for the reports, keep them coming, cheers.

Looks like we'll miss out on the mega dump forecast for next week, but still hugely looking forward to our trip on the 1st feb.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy