Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Amadé and Salzburg Super Ski - Snow Reports 2014 - 15

Poster: A snowHead
@waynos, he did and I have seen the vid of him doing the 12-15 metre free fall drop in Shocked As a parent there are some things you do not want to see.

edit; just saw the advertising Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 10-02-15 20:30; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@burkeyblue, all looking good!... say hi to Neil for me!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Kooky, young Ben has asked me if i'll do it, hmm getting too old for that kind of thing, but you never know.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@waynos, Those lads keep trying to kill me by getting me to jump off things... looks as if you are in their sights as the next victim Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@flangesax, sorry, got me there. Should I know who Neil is ?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@burkeyblue, Neil works with the Eben Ski School and is another local ex-pat! You said a long while back that you always use them for your school trip!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just a quick update, I skied Flachau with bobbev99 and Scarpa today. We took first lift and it was glorious.
Grippy hero snow where we naturally showed all our talent off, carving like Marcel Hirscher(in our imagination anyway) Crowds were actually not at all a problem if you timed it right, i.e early lunch at 11 and back out to play when the huts filled at lunchtime.
The forecast is still set for sun and temps about the 0 - plus 5 but really do not let that worry you,the nights are damn chipper, and that means the pistes are in such great shape there really is no sign of a "slush fest" as some people are predicting.

Safe travels to anyone popping over this weekend, you have picked an awesome week

Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Kooky, just one small correction - I was carving more like Marcel Marceau than Marcel Hirscher but that apart can't fault your analysis. Thanks again for a smashing day.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@bobbev999, It was a great day indeed. You are a total stealth skier, we were really blasting it and every time we stopped there you were coming up right behind us Cool
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A rather sad story - a fatal rodel / sledge accident on the night track at Hochwurzen, Schladming earlier this week. One died, one in hospital. Two Brits on one sledge on their 2nd run down but seems they decided to go down the ski piste. Having done the same rodel track this week hard to see how you can accidently end up on the night ski slope. Lets hope the other guy recovers.

http://www.kleinezeitung.at/s/steiermark/ennstal/null/4665457/Unfall-in-Rohrmoos_Rodler-hatte-keine-Ueberlebenschance

And staying with the gloomy news, 2 serious skier collisions on Hauser Kaibling, both on blue runs .
http://www.kleinezeitung.at/s/steiermark/ennstal/null/4665457/Unfall-in-Rohrmoos_Rodler-hatte-keine-Ueberlebenschance

This week has been unbroken sunshine, great piste conditions (a little hard packed here and there) and variable snow off piste. I'm sure sunny days and fast running piste during holiday periods ups the accident rate, the helicopter was constantly buzzing around. Saw plenty of out of control idiots myself this week, felt way safer any time I popped off the piste, though knowing when and where to hit the slopes helps.

Looks like the settled weather ends n Sunday with the first snowfall of the week with heavier snow both Tuesday and Thursday, temps pretty low too. Sounds perfect, shame I'll not be here.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Samerberg Sue, Gotcha. Yes, we still insist on Eben Ski School and have always asked for Marc as our lead instructor. His skiing ability and instruction coupled with his local knowledge are second to none. We have yet to come across Neil sorry. Marc has now been promoted so instructs less but, owing to how busy last week was and him being let down by a number of instructors, we did see him out and about on the slopes of Altenmarkt and Zauchensee during the week. WHAT AN AMAZING WEEK THOUGH ! Simply unbelievable weather conditions all day, every day and yet the snow stayed (more or less) perfect owing to the extremely low air temperatures and extremely cold evenings. Already booked for Feb 2016 when we'll be bringing over another 80 14 year olds from Liverpool with 10 teachers. Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@burkeyblue, I saw your kids sitting on the snow by the cafe at the top of Radstadt on Friday lunchtime receiving their awards. Indeed a beautiful sunny week, sunniest by far this year. Good to hear you had fun. Ange
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
How is it all looking out there in Radstadt?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Cacciatore, it was alright when i left last Friday. If it's broken since, it's not my fault. #justsaying
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I will have some more time to actually ski and not just be on skis next week, and I need to get my weekly dose of fresh powder (I guess lately I could call it monthly :/ ), so anyone more "local" (Flangesax, Kooky maybe? Smile how is current situation around Zauchensee, and any predictions for early next week? Obertauern would also be an option, even though Zauchensee is faster to get to for me, especially if I start at Flachauwinkl. Smile
ski holidays
@primoz, are you coming to cover the Radstadt Volkschule race ?... that must be pretty high up in the calendar!
latest report
Fresh snow today in Obertauern, kept a lot of the Dutch indoors too so much quieter than yesterday when the weather was as it was all last week ( blue skies and sunshine). More snow to come this week too. Got a beginner snowboard group this week and in the three days they've had they've experienced three different types of snow conditions. Sunday was cold and so the pistes were hard packed and icy in places, yesterday with the sun it got quite soft and almost slushy and then today they experienced fresh powder!
snow conditions
Hehehe absolutely! Volkschule races are my favorite thing to cover Very Happy But seriously, after Garmisch this weekend, I have almost 2 weeks off, which means I will be skiing "a bit" Smile And as I head, Zauchensee should be good for freeride (after all those years I finally arranged myself some really cool pow skis), and it's really just 1.5h drive from my place (even less if I count there's no police on road Very Happy), it would be time to try to see that place from a bit different angle not just sliding down that DH track Smile Unless it's really like Bergfex says "snow conditions: grainy".
latest report
I was in the forests at Zauchensee today. Approx 6 to 8 inches of light fluffy powder, but on steeper terrain it was sloughing off the old base as you skied it. Lots of fresh lines, not many off piste and the old snow underneath had softened. Tomorrow should be good too.
latest report
@flangesax, Hope we didn't spoil your lunch !! I was the bald-headed and very tired looking bloke in the bright yellow ski jacket and black salopettes.This year we were led by Andrea from Eben Ski School. Her team of 7 instructors included her 20 year old son and 17 year old daughter. They were all superb and did an outstanding job with our group of 80 kids - 72 of whom were absolute beginners. By that last day all but 2 of them were able to ski down Blue 5 to the Radstadt middle station, whilst most were bombing down the red runs into Altenmarkt. Some achievement methinks ? Now we're back in school, my colleagues who are non-skiers cannot believe we have been away in the "freezing cold Alps" for a week. They are convinced I must have dumped the kids and jetted off to somewhere exotic and hot such is the tan on my face. Razz
latest report
More very sad news from Schladming. A local lady from Ramsau was caught in an avalanche after ski touring up the Guschen - a peak accessed from top of Hochwurzen on Sunday. Seems like was a trauma with tree. If i read things correctly was a level 2 avi risk on Sunday but warning of problem old snow on north facing slopes. http://www.lawine-steiermark.at/lagebericht/avalanche-bulletin - now available in English too. Seems the lady was a very experienced mountaineer. http://www.askimo.at/verband/150482/nachruf-auf-michaela-landl/ Be careful out there and certainly don't ski alone off piste.
ski holidays
Quote:

Be careful out there and certainly don't ski alone off piste.

.....scarpa!
snow conditions
@burkeyblue, yes, I saw you, and heard you! We have completely different weather this week, its been snowing all night, quite alot. Good to hear you had a good week with the kids. Ange
snow conditions
@waynos, I just read the Salzburg Avalance Warning Services page, it is looking highly unstable out there especially for the Tauern and Lungau regions. I can only echo what you said,
Quote:

Be careful out there and certainly don't ski alone off piste.

https://www.facebook.com/LWDSalzburg?fref=nf
ski holidays
Yup, yesterday there was insufficient new snow in the Zauch forests for more than light sloughs, even when this fell into terrain traps it remained light and uncompacted. I still stayed away from the higher ground, ridges and the steeper gullies.

Today it is still snowing hard and the increased depth pushes up the risk.
snow report
@flangesax, get out of bed you drunken bum and come skiing (cautiously).... POWDER DAY!!!
ski holidays
@Scarpa, the fatal accident Sunday was due to the old snow pack giving way, even a dusting will cover up the rotten stuf. Though does sound as if this incident was very unlucky.

Anyway enjoy today, I normally feel much safer away from the piste and lunatics.
snow report
As I said before, I have always been more or less going down DH track in Zauchensee. Considering level3 on avalanche reports today, how much chances I have for "off piste" there. I'm not suicidal and I would still like to live and annoy people for quite some time, so I have no wish to push my luck. With "off piste" I don't mean climbing somewhere far out, but more or less just going next to track or "cut" some corners... I guess like most of "on course" skiers go "off piste" skiing when there's fresh snow. Makes sense?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The lower forests under the red gondola are pretty safe in Zauch. Avoid the odd terrain trap, the drops and you should be fine. It was getting tracked out by lunch time though.
snow conditions
@waynos, the spate of recent avi accidents all seem to involve ski tourers on the higher slopes. Although given the temp increase the lowest altitudes might start getting some heavy slab slides.
snow conditions
@Scarpa, thanks for info. Appreciated! Smile
snow report
Hi - could anyone tell me the best place to hire and then store skis and boots - we're heading to Chalet Panorama Maria Alm on saturday and haven't been before. We're a very lazy family of four and don't fancy lugging the stuff around if we can help it Toofy Grin
snow report
@primoz, if you are about next Thursday its the monthly Moonlight ski tour up Forstau. Its a really great night out, usually about 300 tourers up at the Trinkeralm at the top, you are very welcome to join us if you like.
ski holidays
@primoz, I can definitely recommend Kooky's suggestion. I went last month and I was a total ski touring virgin (and not a very fit one at that!). Great fun and stunning views seeing the mountains bathed in moonlight.
snow report
Pastit wrote:
Hi - could anyone tell me the best place to hire and then store skis and boots - we're heading to Chalet Panorama Maria Alm on saturday and haven't been before. We're a very lazy family of four and don't fancy lugging the stuff around if we can help it Toofy Grin

There is an Inter Sport at the Gondola at the bottom of Aberg as well as at the bottom in Hintermoos (and Natrun for that matter) which, whilst not certain, I'm pretty sure offer overnight lockers. Probably worth giving them a call to check

There is also an InterSport in town which would probably be easier to hire from. Also, it might be that you can only store overnight if you hire from them but I don't know

I'm not sure where Chalet Panorama is but I have a feeling that Aga Sport will be closer to where you are and they have a very good reputation for gear. Not sure on overnight lockers though

The other option is from Edelweiss in the middle of town. They are the other ski school in Maria Alm (the other being Inter Sport) and offer a discount if you hire and book lessons ( they are also smaller and, imo, more interested in you than InterSport). Again, no idea on storage

After saying all this,I actually hire skis from Sport 2000 as it is opposite to where we stay, so go figure

The Gondolas at Aberg and Hintermoos are a bus ride away, but they are pretty frequent and quick. Like I say I'm not sure where you will be situated but if you are facing Natrun then depending on snow and skiing ability it is possible to catch the chair up to the top of Natrun and ski down ski route 9 to Aberg but they will need a lot of new snow for this to reopen . It was open on our first day last week but closed that afternoon and never reopened the rest of the week as the weather was so glorious Smile It is a bus ride back though as it's not possible to do the reverse ski whatever the weather

If you intend to eat out at all, and I seriously suggest you do, then you must try a steak on hot stone at the Hotel Thalerhof ( or the pub next door, The Dengl...same menu and price as the hotel, just different setting)
Also a huge thumbs up for Bauernkasten

I also suggest you try the Jufen restaurant if the toboggan run is open.Good food and setting and you can hire a toboggan to get back down the mountain after you've eaten. Great fun after a few glasses!

I'm sure you'll have a great time
snow conditions
That's all so helpful - thank you - can't wait now !! Very Happy
snow report
With regards to the avi situation, we were digging in the snow beside the vorderband in Kinderland the other day in Obertauern and beneath the top layers of fresh snow and ice was a "nice" layer or sugar snow. Will be present in the snowpack elsewhere.
ski holidays
Near perfect snow on piste here in Bad Gastein at the mo.

Had a nice unforecasted 5-10 cms overnight as well.

Graukogel open to the bottom for the first time this season.
latest report
Has anyone had eyes on the ground in Dienten/Maria Alm in the last few days? We make our spring trip out to the house in a few days and its looking more like mid winter still snowHead
ski holidays
After 36 hours of non-stop snow, conditions were perfect on the Planai this morning. First tracks down #5.

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy