Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre-Chevalier, France 2014-2015

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know if the mudslide that occurred near the Tunnel Rif Blanc has been cleared?? Some friends are cycling the G2N Route des Grand Alpes at the end of August. Thanks😃
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@spottyboy101, all gone
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers@Weathercam,
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Using Google translate it appears they're going to build the alternative road with a single track -alternate the traffic system to be completed by November. I assume to cater for the ski season
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@cameronphillips2000, that could well be old news as well as political inter departmental posturing, plus would be a major engineering challenge as the would be route is very very steep.

http://www.ledauphine.com/hautes-alpes/2015/07/07/ca-chauffe-entre-le-prefet-et-le-conseiller-departemental

No work will be carried out anyway whilst there is the possibility of landslides, and that's both sides of the lake.

Saga continues http://www.ledauphine.com/isere-sud/2015/07/07/le-phenomene-de-glissement-se-poursuit-mais-ralentit

The major landslides that were due to happen over the weekend never really happened, and what's the betting this scenario will carry on for quite a while, again putting a halt to any work for the foreseeable future.

General feeling on both sides of the Col is that we're looking at two plus years for a road to be built!

Yesterday I cycled up and over the Col du Galibier down to a little ski station just outside Valloire, Les Verneys (1,560) and had a quick sandwich and drink prior to going back home.

I was pleasantly surprised at how little traffic there was going over the Galibier as I was sort of dreading doing the ride to the Col only to then get stuck behind cars and camper-vans on the descents.

In fact on the descent down to Monetier from the Col I took 5 mins off my PB and did it in 25.40 at an average speed of 50.5kph, the record is 21.56m av 59kph. As opposed to the 1hr 42 I took going up which is way off my PB of 1h 26 but then I was conserving myself because of the heat and knowing I was going down a fair way on the other side and had the climb back up there!

In the Cafe in Les Verneys I asked the owner if it was any busier with the road closed in the other valley and she said "No", if anything it was quieter. Very impressed with the off piste potential there, and might well do a road trip there this winter as I have my tunnel tickets to use up!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry, just can't resist these POMBAs especially for PamW Laughing

Going down Maurienne side

Going down Lautaret side

latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Weathercam, do you find that people are falling over one another to reproduce your photos? Confused
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Hurtle, subtle, no? Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@maggi, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
maybe it's just us older girls who are underwhelmed......
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Hurtle, @maggi, @pam w, just another sweaty MAMIL, someone somewhere may possibly be turned on by it! Laughing Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Now now girls, what's so wrong with sweaty mamils????
Probably no worse than mumils........
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hilarious nearly a full house...........

You lot of schreidendame do not disappoint rolling eyes

I had a brief chat with this couple on the way up, I asked him how old his wife was, he replied 73 and then he told me he was 78.

That's one of the things I love about being out in the mountains people go out and make the most of them, still pushing themselves if that's what they're into, and believe me yesterday there were all shapes, ages and sizes ( http://www.griffephotos.com/Lautaret-Galibier,4211,9,fr,f,g96,n3.html ) going up there rather than just sitting on a terrace............

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 8-07-15 19:54; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Weathercam, hmm. my O level German is not up to that .

@KenX, I had a swimming lesson today. You can be grateful I didn't feel moved to post a swimsuit picture?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@pam w, I think it would rude not to!!!
snow conditions
@Weathercam, agreed about the people you meet. Last time I rode there I got talking to and encouraged an elderly chap from the US that I went past.

Also got chatting to a lady who was riding up on a fully laden hybrid tourer. We'd overtaken her riding up the Telegraphe, we stopped for lunch at the top, then caught her at the bottom of the Galibier (she'd stopped in Valloire). Turned out she was riding from Geneva to Nice and had already riden over 3 cols that day. She was a 24hr enduro racer who had warmed up for her Geneva-Nice journey by riding across Canada. She rode away from me at that point and had been at the top 10 mins by the time I got up there!
snow report
@pam w, no such word in any of my German dictionaries nor does reversing the ei to ie turn up any resultsi, so perhaps it is just an ever-hopeful weatherspam compound möchtegernl noun! wink

@Weathercam, at least the "older" couple are not in lycra, so maybe "all the gear and no idea " is not such a good look after all! NehNeh
snow report
@Weathercam, I didn't notice who/what were in the photos. It was the mahooooosive "don't copy" message that made me laugh. Like it was a masterpiece of photography! Laughing
ski holidays
maggi wrote:
@Weathercam, I didn't notice who/what were in the photos. It was the mahooooosive "don't copy" message that made me laugh. Like it was a masterpiece of photography! Laughing
That, as you of course realised, was exactly my point. I have no objection to (nor any particular interest in) what I could see of the photo itself.
latest report
@maggi, @Hurtle, surely you realise that they are not my photos, it's not as if I set up a tripod and then cycled past, but a third party who sits there snapping away all day of all the various people battling their way up various Cols down in this part of the world - hence the www.griffephotos.com stamped across them, hence the irony of me saying POMBA's rolling eyes

Anyway back to today and for those that know this part of the world.

Nice hour ride (500m) on the cross dresser up to Pi Mai in the summer village of Frejus with les chiens where I was the only person who'd been there all lunch time.

Then bit of a bit more than I could chew on the descent I chose, but still a giggle and got the sphincter going.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 8-07-15 20:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
ah - ironic photos. Of course. Missed that. Is it permitted to post them on the internet?
snow conditions
What's a POMBA? (Yes, I've googled it.) Images look like doves. Wiki says, " Pomba Gira personifies female beauty, sexuality, and desire.[3] She is viewed as a beautiful woman who is insatiable." Shocked
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
ah - ironic photos. Of course. Missed that. Is it permitted to post them on the internet?
+1
snow report
@maggi, I just googled POMBA. It is the parents of multiple births association. Confused

@Weathercam, looks like your flies are undone in the second photo! You need to tuck it back in your shorts Shocked
snow conditions
@Ray Zorro, no no no, that's just the other world acronym. On SHs it means Pictures of Me Being Amazing.
Quote:

looks like your flies are undone in the second photo

Laughing POMBextraA Laughing
ski holidays
Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Has the big slide happened yet then?
snow report
Not as far as I can tell, still going slowly.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can't quite work out 100% the actual detail of this proposal ??

http://www.scoop.it/t/actu-hautes-alpes

Don't think it will filter down to Joe "independent" Tourist if my reading is right ?

Mare of a journey back from Turin airport yesterday - the Tangenziale was gridlocked with an accident all the way from the Caselle turn - we were on it for nigh on two hours and would have been more before I turned off a couple of junctions before IKea coming back and I followed by nose and then used the GPS to cut inland and cross country heading for Susa Sad
ski holidays
@Weathercam, might be worth asking the tourist office.
snow report
@Hells Bells, ten to one that they'll have no idea Confused

As for today......

Up early and drove van round to Val Clarée (La Draye), then cycled back home.

Then hiked with OH and Les Chiens from home up over the Col du Granon (massive horse flys up there again), and then back down the other side down to the summer village of Granon (where we were ski touring past season), and back down to the van.

Some six hours out and five hours hiking, fantastic weather, not boiling but a gentle breeze and loads of streams and fountains for Les Chiens.

We were both complaining of sore knees / joints by the end so bathed the legs in the cold river water at the end.

But a fantastic day all round, though don't think will be walking down for a pero tonight..........

Beanie cooling down (Serre pistes in the background)

Atop the Granon

Other side of the Col and the old military road in the background which I hope to ride down tomorrow.

Granon village

And earlier in the year

And cold immersion therapy at the end in the river

And our track for those that might be interested
https://www.strava.com/activities/343048471
snow report
Via Ferrata today at Villeneuve Rochers du Bez with Julian (Mr Hells Bells) fanatastic weather and great exposure!!!

ski holidays
@Weathercam, Nice pics, love the before and after!
latest report
@KenX, good on ya, which route did you do and how long ?

And more from the tunnel saga
http://www.ledauphine.com/hautes-alpes/2015/07/09/tunnel-du-frejus-un-tarif-a-10-26-pour-les-usagers-du-brianconnais

Would seem that they will be charging a rate that roughly equates to the 10 ticket deal - but only if you are a resident (full time) and a car user, for holiday tourists would seem far more complicated, so the likes of UCPA / Club Med will be able to buy discounted tickets for their clients, but for the bread and butter one weekers they might not be able to get the discounted rate ??!!
ski holidays
Did both routes, about 30-40 mins each, first the bunny run Shocked (Very wobbly bridge!) Bearing in mind that this route is specified as suitable for kids under 6 yrs old!!!

Then a more intense route, this actually dropped inside the mountain:

Julian did really well, 1st Ferrata and it was really hot out on the rock, justified a couple of beers in Le Frog afterwards!
latest report
Today back up the Granon for a ride I've been planning in my mind ever since I first rode up there.

This time rather than coming back down the road I was going to descend down the old military road back into Val Clarée (La Draye where we hiked to yesterday) . A few locals told me it would be too tough for the hybrid bike I was using (50% road 50% MTB & no suspension) but I was encouraged by segments of the trail I had seen yesterday and if it was too bad I just have to get off and walk.

Why use a hybrid instead of a MTB ? With the hybrid I can climb faster on the tarmac, and then once I'm in the bottom of what ever valley I end up in, it's then easier to cycle back along the road.

As it happened 80% of the trail was very good, though there was one 3km (from 2300 to 2000) stretch that was gnarly with many a loose rock and nearly had me off a couple of times, but I was cautious as you don't really want to hurt yourself all the way up there!!!

Start of the route from the Col you can make out the long traverse it takes and then you can see part of the descent from 2300

And then looking back up to the Col

All in all a damn fine ride.

Now have two mates turning up who are here for acclimatisation all this coming week in preparation for the L'Étape du Tour which is next Saturday and I might be tagging along Confused
snow report
Done the off-road sections up there. Lovely ride, loads of wildlife too, golden eagles amongst them. It is indeed a lovely ride.
ski holidays
@KenX, great photos. Very Happy
ski holidays
@Hells Bells,
latest report
oooh eerrr tad pickled...........

So I think game plan for acclimatisation is - drive to Le Laus cycle up and over Izoard and then down to Casse Desertes for loads of selfies / POMBAS and then back to Refuge Napoleon where OH would have run / speed hiked to with Les Chiens.............

Only problem is once I've cycled down do I drive back up to get OH ?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy