Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre-Chevalier, France 2014-2015

Poster: A snowHead
That warm wind of last night and in the early hours, apart from moving my satellite dish has really really trashed what little snow we had in the valley.

Had a nice pero in the Hotel Maison du Bez last night with Tina the owner who we've known for a while, well worth a visit, we always forget that it has a bar and is really welcoming plus you can have dinner as well if you book in advance, and as a hotel it's also a good place to stay!

Currently full of British army. Afterwards we had dinner in the Cavaillou which is always good.

This weekend on the ice racing circuit there is an event http://www.circuitserrechevalier.com/ronde-hivernale-historique.htm with cars over twenty years old, and have heard & seen a few nice old Porsche's driving around.

Seem to recall last night as it's my mates last day that we were going to skin up to Echaillon restaurant as something to do and as he's saved money on a lift pass he can buy lunch Smile

So OH still planning to go back either Tues or Wed and forecast for Wed next week onwards is looking very interesting to say the least !!!!

We're going to test fire our AirBags this afternoon in front of the Cam around 16:00 (our time here 15:00 UK)

Took this pic this morning, though as you can see pistes are still open down into the resort here.

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is that historic/old car racing on every year around this time? Seem to recall seeing a few older more interesting cars over there when we were there a few years back.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How far would you say Briancon or Chantemerle are from Sauze and can you ski a day in Serre on the Via Lattea pass?

Thanks.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@rogg, yes they have the rally every year around this time, noise is fantastic from where we are.

@Jerby, From Sauze it's an hours drive, drop down to Oulx, then take the road sign posted Sestrierre, Gap Montgenevre. Just ask in the lift pass office in Sauze about the lift pass, should imagine it's a yes as on weeks pass here you get Monte & Via Lattea.

You could also consider Val Frejus where lift pass is only €25 and closer, though you to have the cost of the tunnel, though if there's four of you cost is not too bad split.

Weather today is totally shite howling NW'ly low cloud and rain / drizzle showers. We might walk the dogs but that's about it Crying or Very sad

Yesterday mate's last day and we did indeed skin up to the Echaillon for lunch which we did in 1hr 40 which was quite a pace as it was 750m vertical and I was waiting for him Toofy Grin

Was lovely and sunny and terrace was packed, OH joined us the lazy way and we took the lifts down.

Apart from the car race it's the 14th running of the Trail Blanc, two separate distances with 750 runners, though today I think you could call it the Trail Brun Laughing

And it's also the Snow Kite Masters up at the Col, and I doubt very much if that's happening today with the weather today. Last year's was affected too, but that was snow and white out conditions.

OH has booked her ticket back on Tues so another trip to Turin, then she comes back out with another mate who is staying with us from the 19th, he's renting a car so saves me another Turin trip.

Hopefully by the time the OH returns we will have the snow that is forecast for back end of next week, but that's a big ask at this stage.

Interesting looking at what lifts and links are open on the Serre Website in that they have Yret and the Monetier / Villeneuve as being open, which I doubt somehow is / will be the true story.

Further Edit 11:15 a little bit of sleet / light snow now which you can see on the Cam maybe there has been more at altitude, but looking at the rain radar looks as if we're on the edge of anything significant tracking through.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
12:30 bright and sunny now and feckin windy and what do you know, they have now updated the site at 11:30 to show links & lifts shut.

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that the morning updates are not worth the screen it's typed on, and or is it a subtle ruse for you to buy a lift ticket especially at the weekend as this is about the third time at a weekend?

14:15 Edit

Just back from walking dogs and British Army evacuating to go and find some snow that they can race and shoot on (biathlon)

Very windy up top as you can see, and she's riding where the x-country would normally be Shocked

latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ok hopefully the above shot will be a dim distant memory this time next week and normal service will be resumed. Just as well the OH is going back on Tues as she's not a great fan of white out conditions rolling eyes

latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fingers well and truly crossed....!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cacciatore wrote:
Fingers well and truly crossed....!

Likewise.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh well forecast has changed again, still snow but quantities have been downgraded, at least conditions are looking to become more unsettled.

Not so much wind this morning and hardly a cloud in the sky.

Might go up the Col laters to see what's happening at the Kite Masters event up there, and take my kite, if I can remember how to set it up, just that land kites are way different to kites I use on the sea, but once up the principal of flying them is the same.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
That photo looks more like April than January! Crazy.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As I'm sure many of you know, that forecast above has been changing for the worse (sorry about being glass half empty etc) over the last few days, and I'm not even going to post the latest for fear or causing major angst to people.

Trying to be glass half full the forecast could still change in our favour as the weather patterns are so volatile that are tracking across Europe from the Atlantic and no amount of looking at GFS models and squiggly lines in advance will show the actual scenario that will eventually unfurl.

Yesterday cycled up to the Lautaret and the place was packed with the British army making the most of the cross country course that has been produced up there. I presume the people I met leaving were going elsewhere for a shooting range ?

As I was cycling up saw two skiers descending back down from up near Galibier and just as I neared their car I recognized that it was a good friend whose hubby is a guide based in LG. We did a couple of days cycling together in the Summer and she is so strong, leaving a couple of my mates way behind on the Galibier!

We had coffee at the top and I suppose it was hubby that advised her where to go, though she is also very experienced, but she left some very nice tracks in the wind blown powder in the stashes in the gulleys running down, so I was somewhat frustrated at my decision to go out on the bike, and by the time I got back home I had nigh on hyperthermia (again), that really is the last of the bike riding now till at least March!

Been down and back to Turin this morning, when I left here sky was totally clear and on the return high altitude cloud, and forecast is for a very light dusting with further snow showers tomorrow.

Few things to do then a steep hike with les chiens on hill above us me thinks unless the weather closes in early.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So the forecast is once again looking pretty promising...anything from 30 to 40cm over Fri and Sat. Then staying pretty cold at least up to the following weekend. Who knows, the worst may now be behind us. Here's hoping....
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Was woken up by the dogs at 05:30 and saw it was snowing lightly, and three hours later must have had all of a cm.

Looking at the rain radar you can see that we're on the outer edges of the precipitation and Northern Alps doing way better. That said radar showing some heavier stuff hopefully coming our way in a couple of hours.

And Friday / Saturday as to exact amounts it's anyone's guess.

So check out the bird table on our patio via the WebCam and you can see exactly what's happening rolling eyes

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 14-01-15 9:09; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Weathercam,

Hi, have been checking out your bird table ( ooer ) religiously all this week, as we are driving to Chambery on Saturday for an overnighter, then on to Montgenevre on Sunday morning. Looks at the moment from weather reports that we could be in for some good snow and Sunday morning could be a good skiing day, however the drive into resort could be entertaining.
Keep the reports coming.
Regards

Tim B
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Weathercam wrote:

Looking at the rain radar you can see that we're on the outer edges of the precipitation and Northern Alps doing way better. That said radar showing some heavier stuff hopefully coming our way in a couple of hours.

Now getting the heavier stuff, but how much & how long ?

I'd be pleased if we get 5cm today, hope I'm wrong and it's a lot more
ski holidays
Quote:

We did a couple of days cycling together in the Summer and she is so strong, leaving a couple of my mates way behind on the Galibier!

Laughing
snow report
well there is more than 5cm in our garden up in Monetier already, and the earth was bare yesterday. Fingers and toes tightly crossed,
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, that's probably because you're that much higher. Warmer temps = consolidation.

I'm at 1410 and temp is +1.3 so snow is consolidating faster than probably where you are.

Very rough calculus is 1 degree for every 175m but can differ (if it's dry or wet)

I'm going to take a look up the hill around lunch time and will report back.
snow conditions
Headed off to Bachas at around 10am, still snowing and piste map said top was closed, but when we got there it wasn't so headed up Yret. Hardly a soul on the mountain and the snow was fabulous all the way backc to Bachas. Below that it was still a bit thin but far better than yestereday and nothhing that a decent piste bashing couldn't sort out. Snow at the top off Cibuoit was probably even better. Hubby has hurtyleg so didn't push it, and stopped at Peyra Juana for lunch before another couple of laps of the mountain. A great day's skiing. snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
15:30 As you can see on the cam this morning's snow has almost gone down in the valley which is a bit of a disappointment.

For 5 -10 cm of snow it was quite slippery driving down the hill and not helped by someone coming round the corner and getting stuck. I had to take evasive action and end up side on with front wheels in a bit of a ditch, lucky not too deep and I could reversed back but did think I was going to have to put the chains on to get out!

Once up the hill I had a nice little play finding some soft snow, though sometimes I went straight through to the icy base, and as you can see not too many people about as HB mentions above.

Later on decided to have a look up Vallons and at the top I noticed a dude I'd seen earlier taking a rather nice fresh line and at the top of the chair he was having a nag with the lifties, so as he traversed off below Cucumelle taking a much higher line and having to pole I decided he was worth following and that was a good call as he found me some nice lines. We had a chat further on down as I think he was curious as to who was following him, and we both agreed it was not too bad considering the tiny amount of snow.

It made such a change to do some effortless turns without the knee shuddering of hard pack below you, though you really had to select a line that was not shite snow.

By the time I skied the piste all the way back down was not too much fun but that had a lot to with me using my fat twin tips.

But we still desperately need a lot more, not just for off piste but for runs down to resort.
ski holidays
Looking through all the different forecasts you'll see that snow is on the way, and hopefully significant. I mentioned to Eric last night who runs the Cocoon bar and is an ESF instructor (and all the talk is of the snow) that he should run a sweep stake with everyone guessing how much we'll get etc, though where and when you measure that could be awkward.

Some work and chores to do (fix ski after yesterday) and do supermarket in Briancon rather than wait till tomorrow and the weekend as roads might be difficult etc

http://www.meteociel.fr/previsions/1900/la_salle_les_alpes.htm

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=ski;resort=S603~Serre%20Chevalier;sess=#forecast

http://www.yr.no/place/France/Provence-Alpes-C%C3%B4te_d%E2%80%99Azur/Serre_Chevalier/long.html

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Serre-Chevalier/6day/mid
snow conditions
@Weathercam, that's all the fun of sweepstakes - must be at Eric's sole discretion in a "pub landlord" kind of way
snow conditions
Have done a sort of a snow dance / sacrifice today.

Took my Blizzard Bonafide's with touring bindings down to Riquet to talk about an exchange for some carving skis, find out later what the options are.
snow report
So everyone's talking about all the snow that might fall, but walking back from the village at 1400m tonight the wind is a howling and a balmy+3.5 so rain could well be on the cards in resort and snow from 1800 or so, how's that for glass half empty Sad

I do hope I'm so wrong !

Result on the ski exchange new pair of White Doctor piste skis, which will complement my quiver of two other pairs of WD's which are still the ski of Serre Chevalier Very Happy
snow report
Bergfex has the snowline around 1400, snow-forecast seems to think it will be a bit higher. Hopefully it's more like 1400 as I'm heading out on Saturday and staying in Le Bez and would like it to look like winter!

I guess we shall see!
snow report
@driz, where you staying in Le Bez?

Was with a fair number of peeps tonight in Mojos as was Tim's B'day and a few inc Tim had been out on the hill and reported very good piste conditions, all along the valley from Briancon to Monetier.
latest report
Permission to be glass half empty, or just be extremely pissed off !

If this was late March / April then I'd be ok but this is feckin January.

So it's been raining since 22:00, I'd imagine snow line might be around 2,000m so will take the Frejus bubble up later rather than get wet sitting on a chair and see what's happening as difficult to work out what's happening on the cams.

And looks like it's still windy judging by the trees outside.

Forecasts have freezing level at around 2,000 all day then lowering tomorrow so hopefully we'll wake up to snow in resort tomorrow morning.........

Pass me that glass rolling eyes

And FallLine Mag have been in resort all week, so not exactly the best of conditions for them to report back on, maybe just as well Twisted Evil

10:00 Edit actually looks like snow line is more like circa 1,650 as cloud has cleared a little and can see snow on trees

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 16-01-15 10:03; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Yep, raining up here too, and windy. Too much cloud cover to see where the snow line starts, but all the trees I can see are green. Might leave any attempt at skiing until later.
Had a great day out yesterday despite the wind high up, although we had rather one too many beers att he bottom. Pistes were in great condition after the snow on Wednesday. Crossing fingers that that freezing level drops as promised.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
From webcams it does look like snow at Serre Ratier as opposed to rain.
snow conditions
@Weathercam, it sounds a pretty horrible day. How about curling up on a sofa with a good book and waiting for a much snowier outlook tomorrow morning?
ski holidays
@pam w, can't do things like that, don't know how to Smile

Anyway being a man going to go back down to the supermarket and buy the stuff that I forgot yesterday...........

And hopefully pick my new skis up........

Oh and have some client work to do

Yesterday sorted out the garage and turned bike bench into ski bench and carried out bodging* of the highest order filling in gouges on the bases Smile

*very difficult with those bases as not solid black!!!
ski holidays
@Weathercam, JoeBlow - excellent choice
snow report
@Weathercam, staying at one of the apartments operated by Hotel Du Bez. First time in Serre Che so have few expectations, but it sounds nice. Have seen some mention of it being possible to ski back to the hotel? But I'd be surprised if there was enough coverage for that just yet. Hoping the weather is clear tomorrow night as I'll be driving from Grenoble and would prefer not to go via Gap!
snow report
@Weathercam, Just checked out your weather feed, and checked the google street map you have to show where it is.

Noticed the street map is dated April 2010 and there is more snow than now. Scary.
snow report
@pam w, thatnis exactly what we are doing. 'just had messsage via the resort app that much of the lift system is closed due to wind.
snow report
@Hells Bells, thought I was the soft Southerner Laughing

Though do understand as over your way if the tops shut then there's not exactly a lot open for you below Bachhus at the moment.

So went down to Riquet to test some potential White Doctors piste orientated skis in exchange for my Bonafides.

Had been doing a bit of research as to which model and size would be best etc and who should be in the shop but none other than "Bob", Mr White Doctor.

For those that don't know White Doctor is a brand that was born in Serre Chevalier and Bob had his first shop very close to where I live, although I think they are now based in Anecy Bob often comes back to Serre and has demo days here.

Riquet do have a very good test center, and if anyone coming out here fancies trying some then no harm in mentioning my name (Gavin) I think rolling eyes

Though they do get run of their feet in their during the busy holiday periods, I always stay clear.

So my major plan did work, arrange for some piste skis and the Snow Gods will play on the irony.

Turning up to Frejus Gondola that was shut (though didn't look that windy), so took the chair and rain turned to snow at around 1900m.

Once at the top of the Casse du Boeuf it was very windy so a few laps of La Foret then dropped down to Echaillon and then saw Vallons surprisingly open due to it being in the lee of the Balme ridge I presume, and did runs on the Vallons but not venturing off piste as I needed the sticks at the edge of the piste to see where I was going!

Viz was dire at the top and snow pack ranged from wind blown hard pack to around 15cm of powder through to 30cm of wind blown.

Sure was a good way to see how the skis handle I don't think.

Went all the way down to Pontillas and that gave me a better idea of the skis, then finally down Marteau / Casse du Boeuff and on the way down noted snow flakes heavier and snow at 1750.

Back to Riquet and joked about my test on the LT8's, still have the FT8's to try but somehow think I'll be on my TW10 Twin Tips tomorrow.

Twas interesting though how I was skiing powder on quite narrow small skis, managed ok, but was far more tiring than if I'd been on fat skis.

Do think today the ski repairers will be busy tonight as many people (last day of their week) skiing the trees with no where near enough cover.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 16-01-15 16:54; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Just after I posted above, I looked out of our window, and the piste down to the Pre-Chabert was the busiest I had seen it all week. All seemed to be leaving the mountain, perhaps as the links back to Villemeuve had closed.
latest report
Weathercam wrote:

Riquet do have a very good test center, and if anyone coming out here fancies trying some then no harm in mentioning my name (Gavin) I think rolling eyes

You think your name's Gavin?
ski holidays
@KenX, you know what I must have spent about two or three minutes chopping and changing that so that people might understand it for various reasons rolling eyes

A) Maybe not too many people may know my name is Gavin

and

B)Not too sure if there will be any advantage, though all depends who's working that day, but worth a blag Cool

When are you see fit to don us with your presence ?

20:00 still raining and temp still at +2.5 Sad
snow conditions
Rain outside our apartment has started to turn to snow.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy