Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski resort jobs in France?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking for advice for my son. He's 28 speaks French having lived and worked in Paris for 6 months including bar work. he is a beginner snowboarder but his main interest in a winter ski job is to get out of a bit of a rut in the UK, ie he will be happy working proper hours and not as inclined to skive off boarding - partying as some I've heard about.

I guess now is the time to start applying?

I would welcome any advice on how to go about getting a suitable job, contacts, companies etc, and any pitfalls to look out for.

Many thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Check out natives.co.uk
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If he speaks French go directly to pole-emploi.fr and use recherche avancée to find jobs in the resorts that interest him. As an example, today there are 106 jobs listed in the resort of Morzine. Expect pay to be around 1300€ for 35hours a week, accommodation and sometimes food are often provided on top for free. This is most often the case with hotel jobs but can vary between resorts (in a good way though - the more expensive the resort the more likely accommodation will be included).

He can get a cheap lift pass by presenting his work contract when buying it. If he kept his French bank account from Paris that's a bonus, if not he can open in resort with his contract and/or a letter from the employer.

Natives.co.uk is better for 19 year olds with no relevant skills or experience; expect pay in the region of 80€ week for unlimited hours and incredibly shitty accommodation, but with the British company option he can disengage brain and just turn up for the flight as everything else is taken care of.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
albinomountainbadger, Thanks, that's exactly the sort of advice we're after
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
.error

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 25-09-14 7:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
One point re the pole-emploi site: some of the offers are anonymous as the employer wants you to apply via the site, but unless it's really good just skip to the next one. It's not at all necessary to sign up to the site as many others will give contact details or at the very least the name of the business with which a bit of Googling will turn up a phone number or email address.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If he would like to head to Chamonix www.chamsocial.com often has job listings direct with businesses.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
+1 for natives.co.uk
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another take on this is our daughter applied last year (aged 20) & after submitting loads of on-line applications got zero response.

Our son has just completed his A levels & has had the desire to do a season for past 6 years or so, we attended the NEC ski show 2012, Manchester show 2013 & pumped all the companies on what they wanted, when to apply etc, hence he has done everything he can to secure a position.

Result: got an interview with Crystal June whereby he was assessed by one guy who apparently he said seemed totally disinterested in the whole thing, got through to the second round & basically questioned the interviewer on how he was assessing potential candidates. I guess upon reflection he thought it was pretty poor bearing in mind the size of the company (I wonder if the directors of Crystal actively follow forums such as snowheads...I will wait & see!). Consequently no position was forthcoming, come on Crystal get professional, at least have the courtesy to interview prospective candidates & give them feed-back, bearing in mind most often they incur travel, hotel accommodation at their own cost.

Got an interview with Inghams, far more professional but he was the youngest candidate seems more people are having mid life crisis...is this a sign of the times? Perhaps I will give it a go!

Anyway after completing the assessments & the role play scenarios (WTF he was applying for a kitchen assistants position, who dreams up this s**t?) he failed to secure a position yet was advised he would be put on the reserve list.

Please can anyone tell me what else he could have done?

Seems the competition is severe, guess no different to securing a full time job/carreer after University.

Disillusioned parent!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
BTW we have travelled with Crystal previously when the children were young, i guess pre 2000 up until five years ago, they provided everything we required most specifically child care & whizz kids at a price, yet we were happy to pay for that, would be nice if hey reciprocated.

Look forward to hearing from the management...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
On the rocks, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=111427
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not sure if this helps, but my son was in a similar sort of position last year, applying for lots of jobs but not getting anywhere. One company said 'come back to us when you've done a cookery course', so he did one, went back to them, but still didn't get a job from them. However, the cookery course was with Hotelplan (who I'm sure by now you know run Inghams etc), and they guaranteed to find some sort of job in the Alps for anyone who had done their cookery course who wasn't completely useless. He and his girlfriend got offered a job running an Inghams chalet in Alp d'Huez. So that may be a route in, if they still have spaces on courses?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Source magazine has a job site for stuff in Morzine/Avoriaz/Les Gets - http://morzinesourcemagazine.com/jobs/
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
michaelbury17, there is another thread here somewhere about what to expect at the Crystal interviews and what to brush up on before you go.
Being on the reserve list means he may well get the shout due to the fairly high early season drop outs, but he'll get little/no notice.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dode wrote:
michaelbury17, there is another thread here somewhere about what to expect at the Crystal interviews and what to brush up on before you go.
Being on the reserve list means he may well get the shout due to the fairly high early season drop outs, but he'll get little/no notice.

Cheers Dode hopefully he will get 'the call' anyone know what the thread is? Very Happy
ski holidays
There is two next to each other on page 11 of the piste forum (can't do links on iPad) "crystal ski interview process" and "crystal ski rep interview"
snow conditions
Quote:

he was assessed by one guy who apparently he said seemed totally disinterested in the whole thing, got through to the second round & basically questioned the interviewer on how he was assessing potential candidates

I don't work for Crystal but without wanting to sound rude michaelbury17, I would suggest that criticising or questioning the interview process at interview isn't the best way into a position in any industry regardless of how unprofessional/bored the interviewer seems. One of the main things that employers are looking at for these job interviews is staff attitude and I would guess that your son maybe came across as a bit difficult/critical. Ski season positions are often highly sought after (we get more than 200 applications for each position) and so companies can afford to be picky.

If your son would like some advice I would suggest:

- If your son has just finished his a-levels he is young to be doing a season and so I would recommend removing all mention of his age (except when a date of birth is specifically requested); dates for schooling (again except when specifically requested) and all phrases such as "I am a mature, experienced 18 year old" and let his experience stand for itself
- Check that the cv is well written and that any work experience he has is near the top. If he doesn't have any work experience suggest that he gets a job which involves cleaning or washing up as these will be most useful for kitchen porter roles.
- If asked for a photo check that it is smart, well presented and doesn't include a pint!
- Approach the job interviews as you would an application to work in a bank - after all you are applying for a job and not a holiday. Look smart, behave respectfully and professionally, answer enthusiastically and make it clear that you are happy to work hard

Hope some of that is helpful and that he manages to find something which suits. . . .
snow conditions
albinomountainbadger wrote:
If he speaks French go directly to pole-emploi.f

+1

You can also contact say the Chambery or Albertville Pôle emploi and find out when the big job fayres are. There is one in Albertville in the second half of October and they have stacks of jobs, often no previous experience necessary. There was a courchevel hotel offering 1400/m plus food and accom last year and specifically wanted people without prior hotel experience.
latest report
On the rocks,

+1 for davidof ref the jobs fair in Albertville. It takes place every year and your son should easily find a job since he speaks French and English for a "proper" wage on a French contract so he'll work c.35 hrs a week and get paid at least the French minimum wage (c. Euro 1300 / month) and not have deductions for all sorts of ancillary bits and pieces. Much better than join one of the "Bangladeshi" sweat shops in the Alps.
ski holidays
Hmm, mixed feelings here. I thought of mentioning the jobs fairs (there are a few in different regions) but I'm not sure it's worth flying over and staying a night or two expressly to do one/them.

People who have gone have given them a serious thumbs down, saying the only jobs on offer are the lowest of the rung that aren't worth taking the time to advertise separately or that no decent candidates have been interested in taking beforehand.

I don't think it has any advantage over a decent CV and e-mail. Speaking English fluently remains a massive trump card in the French hospitality/tourism industries.
snow report
michaelbury17 wrote:
Another take on this is our daughter applied last year (aged 20) & after submitting loads of on-line applications got zero response.

Our son has just completed his A levels & has had the desire to do a season for past 6 years or so, we attended the NEC ski show 2012, Manchester show 2013 & pumped all the companies on what they wanted, when to apply etc, hence he has done everything he can to secure a position.

Result: got an interview with Crystal June whereby he was assessed by one guy who apparently he said seemed totally disinterested in the whole thing, got through to the second round & basically questioned the interviewer on how he was assessing potential candidates. I guess upon reflection he thought it was pretty poor bearing in mind the size of the company (I wonder if the directors of Crystal actively follow forums such as snowheads...I will wait & see!). Consequently no position was forthcoming, come on Crystal get professional, at least have the courtesy to interview prospective candidates & give them feed-back, bearing in mind most often they incur travel, hotel accommodation at their own cost.

Got an interview with Inghams, far more professional but he was the youngest candidate seems more people are having mid life crisis...is this a sign of the times? Perhaps I will give it a go!

Anyway after completing the assessments & the role play scenarios (WTF he was applying for a kitchen assistants position, who dreams up this s**t?) he failed to secure a position yet was advised he would be put on the reserve list.

Seems the competition is severe, guess no different to securing a full time job/carreer after University.

Disillusioned parent!

Try some smaller companies - Crystal are meant to be one of the worst to work for. Have a look at companies like Ski Beat, Premier Neige, Snowcrazy etc
ski holidays
dode wrote:
There is two next to each other on page 11 of the piste forum (can't do links on iPad) "crystal ski interview process" and "crystal ski rep interview"

Ok thanks I shall get Jack to look up the posts
latest report
Snow and Sunshine wrote:
Quote:

he was assessed by one guy who apparently he said seemed totally disinterested in the whole thing, got through to the second round & basically questioned the interviewer on how he was assessing potential candidates

I don't work for Crystal but without wanting to sound rude michaelbury17, I would suggest that criticising or questioning the interview process at interview isn't the best way into a position in any industry regardless of how unprofessional/bored the interviewer seems. One of the main things that employers are looking at for these job interviews is staff attitude and I would guess that your son maybe came across as a bit difficult/critical. Ski season positions are often highly sought after (we get more than 200 applications for each position) and so companies can afford to be picky.

If your son would like some advice I would suggest:

- If your son has just finished his a-levels he is young to be doing a season and so I would recommend removing all mention of his age (except when a date of birth is specifically requested); dates for schooling (again except when specifically requested) and all phrases such as "I am a mature, experienced 18 year old" and let his experience stand for itself
- Check that the cv is well written and that any work experience he has is near the top. If he doesn't have any work experience suggest that he gets a job which involves cleaning or washing up as these will be most useful for kitchen porter roles.
- If asked for a photo check that it is smart, well presented and doesn't include a pint!
- Approach the job interviews as you would an application to work in a bank - after all you are applying for a job and not a holiday. Look smart, behave respectfully and professionally, answer enthusiastically and make it clear that you are happy to work hard

Hope some of that is helpful and that he manages to find something which suits. . . .

Thanks for your post & no I don't take any offence at your comments, in fact I am indebted for your time & would respond as below:

I fully appreciate your opinion insofar as how he criticised the interviewer, kids will be kids & thats how he felt at the time, I did point out to him that at interviews it's best to kiss a** & tell them what you think/know they expect to hear ie: blow smoke up their proverbial, once you have a job offer thats the main point.

Good point ref deleting his age unless this is specifically asked for & I would concur that positions like this are particularly sought after (can't think why, wages are crap, T & C's well you need to be available 24/7) I shall check his photo doesn't include a pint or other incriminating object & offer the advice given.

Thanks again, hopefully he will secure a position for the season.
snow conditions
karin wrote:
Not sure if this helps, but my son was in a similar sort of position last year, applying for lots of jobs but not getting anywhere. One company said 'come back to us when you've done a cookery course', so he did one, went back to them, but still didn't get a job from them. However, the cookery course was with Hotelplan (who I'm sure by now you know run Inghams etc), and they guaranteed to find some sort of job in the Alps for anyone who had done their cookery course who wasn't completely useless. He and his girlfriend got offered a job running an Inghams chalet in Alp d'Huez. So that may be a route in, if they still have spaces on courses?

Great point Karin, that your son went to the trouble & expense yet failed to secure a position in catering, still ultimately he landed a job, which is the crux of the matter. well done hope he had a great experience.
latest report
MeMyselfandI wrote:
The Source magazine has a job site for stuff in Morzine/Avoriaz/Les Gets - http://morzinesourcemagazine.com/jobs/

Thanks MeMyselfandI we have had a look at the site & Jack has submitted his CV...hopefully he shall get some response Madeye-Smiley
snow report
davidof wrote:
If he speaks French go directly to pole-emploi.f

+1

You can also contact say the Chambery or Albertville Pôle emploi and find out when the big job fayres are. There is one in Albertville in the second half of October and they have stacks of jobs, often no previous experience necessary. There was a courchevel hotel offering 1400/m plus food and accom last year and specifically wanted people without prior hotel experience.

Hi Davidof thanks for the advice I shall get Jack to look into this ASAP, he desperately wants to get a job in the Alps for one season at least, his goal is to live/work there forever...why not?
ski holidays
Hmm, mixed feelings here. I thought of mentioning the jobs fairs (there are a few in different regions) but I'm not sure it's worth flying over and staying a night or two expressly to do one/them.

People who have gone have given them a serious thumbs down, saying the only jobs on offer are the lowest of the rung that aren't worth taking the time to advertise separately or that no decent candidates have been interested in taking beforehand.

I don't think it has any advantage over a decent CV and e-mail. Speaking English fluently remains a massive trump card in the French hospitality/tourism industries.

Yes I know what you mean albinomountainbadger yet sometimes you just have to take action & that is why I am getting involved, children (albeit 18 years of age) tend to give up at the first hurdle, I have told him "it's a numbers game" submit applications & get on the phone, email, facebook whatever 7 sooner or later you willl get an offer!
snow report
timlongs wrote:
michaelbury17 wrote:

Disillusioned parent!

Try some smaller companies - Crystal are meant to be one of the worst to work for. Have a look at companies like Ski Beat, Premier Neige, Snowcrazy etc

Thanks Timlomgs great advice & I shall let Jack know, from what he has told me he has scoured the net looking for companies & submitted his CV, yet I shall let him know of the ones which you have listed, thanks,
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

That's interesting.

If the OP is still interested there are numerous fairs in the week around the 15th October, here is the Albertville one

http://www.pays-albertville.com/fr/il4-ville,vivre,agenda,annuaire_p81-forum-de-la-saisonnalite.aspx?Cle=sitraEVE592711
ski holidays
davidof wrote:

That's interesting.

If the OP is still interested there are numerous fairs in the week around the 15th October, here is the Albertville one

http://www.pays-albertville.com/fr/il4-ville,vivre,agenda,annuaire_p81-forum-de-la-saisonnalite.aspx?Cle=sitraEVE592711

Thanks davidof will look into the possibilty Madeye-Smiley
snow report
michaelbury17, the talk of pole-emploi and the regional job fairs is for the starter of this thread who's 28 year old son speaks French and has worked in Paris. Unless your son can handle a CV, cover letter and interview in French, don't go down this path.
latest report
michaelbury17, the talk of pole-emploi and the regional job fairs is for the starter of this thread who's 28 year old son speaks French and has worked in Paris. Unless your son can handle a CV, cover letter and interview in French, don't go down this path.

Fair point, i think probably best to pass on this route. Thanks Little Angel
snow conditions
Re the 18 year old-age is the thing. Some companies, tend to have a minimum age of 21. Chalet hosting (and cooking!) is a big job for anyone who is not used to cooking on a dinner party scale, and I would counsel against it at the age of 18. I think the advice to look at the smaller/mid sized companies is the way to go. We went to a jobs fair last autumn researching for stepson who was away at the time. I thought it was pretty chaotic- it featured mostly the bigger tour ops. BUT...if he arrived early and got to the front of the queue, then it might be worth a go.
Check out all the small ski/chalet companies on the latania.co.uk website-who knows-they may need a chalet helper.
latest report
As a smaller chalet company / employer:

We wouldn't take 18 year-olds, sorry.
We only take chalet chefs who have actual, professional cooking experience. We don't value chalet cookery courses very highly (better than nothing though!).
Questioning our interview process would be a pretty-much instant "well, thanks very much for your time" (for the attitude reason suggested above).
We give feedback to everyone we interview, but it's really not possible to give feedback to everyone who applies (as there as usually 100's of applicants).
WRITE A PROPER COVERING LETTER! An auto-generated one from natives, etc. isn't a deal-breaker but may well make the difference between a "maybe" and a "yes".
ski holidays
Perty wrote:
Re the 18 year old-age is the thing. Some companies, tend to have a minimum age of 21. Chalet hosting (and cooking!) is a big job for anyone who is not used to cooking on a dinner party scale, and I would counsel against it at the age of 18. I think the advice to look at the smaller/mid sized companies is the way to go. We went to a jobs fair last autumn researching for stepson who was away at the time. I thought it was pretty chaotic- it featured mostly the bigger tour ops. BUT...if he arrived early and got to the front of the queue, then it might be worth a go.
Check out all the small ski/chalet companies on the latania.co.uk website-who knows-they may need a chalet helper.

Thanks for your comments Perty, I appreciate that some companies may have a minimum age, only wish we had got this info at the ski shows attended for the last two years, it would have been helpful, what advice we were given was to take a cookery course, which again won't carry any weight with some owners/companies.

In fact he has applied for kitchen porter & chalet host, pretty basic positions really & would have thought that he would stand some chance of being successful..sooner or later!
latest report
stevomcd wrote:
As a smaller chalet company / employer:

We wouldn't take 18 year-olds, sorry.
We only take chalet chefs who have actual, professional cooking experience. We don't value chalet cookery courses very highly (better than nothing though!).
Questioning our interview process would be a pretty-much instant "well, thanks very much for your time" (for the attitude reason suggested above).
We give feedback to everyone we interview, but it's really not possible to give feedback to everyone who applies (as there as usually 100's of applicants).
WRITE A PROPER COVERING LETTER! An auto-generated one from natives, etc. isn't a deal-breaker but may well make the difference between a "maybe" and a "yes".

Hi Steve I fully appreciate that you wouldn't employ 18 year olds which is fine as it's your business at the end of the day & the buck stops with you.

Seems that maybe I didn't fully explain the position he has applied for: kitchen porter & chalet maid, still no offers. We were advised at last years ski show that by attending a cookery course (another cost circa £500) would put him above the rest but as you state not necessarily.

He has worked in a local bike shop since he was 14, worked the summer for a building company & has a job working at the local golf club on the bar, some days he has worked from 07.15 through to 18.00 then gone to the golf club for a shift lasting 19.00 - 02.00hrs so he isn't afraid of working.

When he attended the interview with Crystal he didn't actual question the interviewer, the comments I made were what he relayed to me later, he was disillusioned at the lack of professionalism from Crystal, he had expected a panel of say three members, yet only one was present & he appeared totally disinterested in the whole thing, maybe he drew the short straw Puzzled

All I am doing is encouraging him to keep applying & with a little bit of luck he will be off to the Alps in a few weeks.

Thanks for the feedback, Michael
latest report
Quote:

We were advised at last years ski show that by attending a cookery course (another cost circa £500) would put him above the rest but as you state not necessarily.

Some of the courses do guarantee you a job if you pass (in fact, we actually got our first seasonnaire job that way ourselves, after my wife did the Natives course) so it is worth looking into!

For us, chalet host is actually a really important job and definitely not a no-brainer position. A good chalet host can really make a difference to a guest's holiday and it takes very good communication skills, social skills and confidence to be good at it. Some life experience is usually essential, which is why we prefer slightly older candidates.
snow conditions
michaelbury17 wrote:

In fact he has applied for kitchen porter & chalet host, pretty basic positions really & would have thought that he would stand some chance of being successful..sooner or later!

Pretty basic, maybe, but the successful applicant would be an important team member. As I understand it, the role play sessions are all part of finding someone who will be good as part of a team. Good luck to him - he sounds like a hard worker & hopefully he will find something soon.
snow report
stevomcd wrote:
Quote:

We were advised at last years ski show that by attending a cookery course (another cost circa £500) would put him above the rest but as you state not necessarily.

Some of the courses do guarantee you a job if you pass (in fact, we actually got our first seasonnaire job that way ourselves, after my wife did the Natives course) so it is worth looking into!

For us, chalet host is actually a really important job and definitely not a no-brainer position. A good chalet host can really make a difference to a guest's holiday and it takes very good communication skills, social skills and confidence to be good at it. Some life experience is usually essential, which is why we prefer slightly older candidates.

I guess you need to be in the right place at the right time, you never know...

I wasn't knocking the position of chalet hosting we have spent 9 seasons as guests of Crystal when the children were younger & we needed whizz kids, all the hosts that we had were fantastic & young, don't think any were over 22years.

What was apparent (which we had no issue with at all) was that they were their to have fun & serve their customers.

We always introduced ourselves at the start of the holiday & got to know them, asked them their aims & ambitions, included them in conversations & tipped them at the end of the week, they certainly were a huge factor in our holiday NehNeh

However I do understand that you prefer older candidate which again is your prerogative & I am not criticising you in any way shape or form.
ski holidays
genepi wrote:
michaelbury17 wrote:

Pretty basic, maybe, but the successful applicant would be an important team member. As I understand it, the role play sessions are all part of finding someone who will be good as part of a team. Good luck to him - he sounds like a hard worker & hopefully he will find something soon.

Absolutely agree the point I made was purely in respect of Crystal having one totally disinterested guy carrying out the interview, his age by the way was probably sub 26 years.

I guess like hundreds of kids out there, all he is asking for is a chance, thats the tough bit, getting somebody to take a chance on you...here's hoping.. Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy