Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2014/15 (Useful Links Post 1)

Poster: A snowHead
And the day dawned with clouds in the sky Shocked but there was the odd glimpse of the sun early doors - but it didn't last. Not expecting a great deal of he day I went out and met up with some friends who were just embarking on a task........ Their Godson is 13 next birthday, is a skiing nut and loves Tignes/Val. So they decided to try and get 13 pictures of piste markers with the number 13 on - to make a poster rather than a card this year. The challenge was set - its not as easy and quick as you might think - firstly you need a long slope, funny how many begin at 12 and also as they effectively measure the distance from the bottom they are at similar heights so there was some odd traverses taken to avoid having to go round again. Additionally Germain Mattis doesn't have a 13! Anyway we nearly got to our total when the first of the drizzle arrived - so it was back for Lunch - just a couple more to bag later. We have also just had a very heavy shower of rain in resort - and the pisteurs are blasting again now - the rain will have done nothing for the avalanche risk. On a more cheery note we have the 'Soapbox Derby' at 6pm - here are a few shots of the contenders in 'Parc Fermé'. Note STGM's entry is a mock up of the Funi:

A few more:

And Les Pompiers just made it:

As for the weather showers in the morning and rain in the afternoon to about 2300m, Saturday sunny spells, Sunday showers and maybe thunderstorms - after that there is a complex patterns of fronts and troughs so virtually anything could (and will) happen!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Coming out on Sunday! I hope the rain doesnt melt away all the snow! Confused
Will still be great to be in the Mountains again Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@lauralime, I am out Sunday as well and thinking exactly the same thing!! If you check the webcams this morning you will see its snowing up high
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well todays plan was to wake up, have a last days skiing on my birthday and then put the ski kit in the wash. But the capricious weather gods played their evil hand and it was raining when the cock crowed so unfortunately it was a day of nickwaxing, leatherbalming, floor cleaning, fridge sorting, dusting, hoovering, packing, where the xxxx is thating hell that always arrives at the end of a season - still most done now wink

It has been raining/drizzling most of the day - it nearly turned to sleet once in the village - but I suspect you would have had to go well up the mountain to find snow - there is still no fresh on the roofs at the top of the Toviere - the pistes of course will be different - but I suspect there would be piles of fresh concrete for the piste bashers to do their thing with tonight. So piste skiing above 2500m should still be fine when cooler weather and bashing have done their thing.

The showers will continue into the night, tomorrow will see sunny periods and the odd shower (probably when I am packing the car!). Sunday will be wet and chilly with snow down to village level, it then starts to warm up again (significantly by the end of the week) with mostly sun and the chance of an afternoon shower. There can't be much traffic tomorrow as they are no longer forecasting amounts. For the last few fliers the weather will be OK for flying at both ends - might be a bit misty Leeds and north but nothing to create havoc.

More packing and then to the pub. Little Angel

PS It looked like STGM won the soap box derby last night -they made the full course at high speed in their 'Funi' even getting airborne over the bumps part of the course. Nice to know that they have the best engineers in the village wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@chocksaway,

Happy Birthday. Hope you have a safe trip back.

Thank you for all your entertaining and useful posts this season.

See you next season, if not at the winefest in August. Very Happy snowHead Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@chocksaway, Many thanks for your reports this season. Always an interesting read. Thanks also for the weather and flying reports. Have a good summer.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chocksaway, happy birthday and another thanks for the reports. Great to see pictures & words on a place I love to ski. Looking forward to next years reports. Hope you managed to pack everything before goign to the pub Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@chocksaway, Happy Birthday old bean Laughing .

Pleasure meeting up for a ski and a beer mate. Also like to add my thanks for the reports and the blog.

Safe trip home.

@Mrs W, Hope you have been out skiing in the sunshine, Cool Cool Cool
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@chocksaway, Happy birthday Sir.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Happy belated birthdat,@chocksaway, and thanks for all of the great weather forecasts and conditions reports. Have a good summer.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all - marigolds now put away and the Grand Depart is set for tomorrow for my cruise home (sounds a bit better than the North Sea Ferry!).

Been mostly cloudy but it is a glorious evening with the sun now out. A chance of showers tomorrow but a bit warmer than previously forecast so snow level at 2300m. The sun then returns for the week and the temps will gradually rise through the week - might be a bit trick trying to keep the resort runs open in the lower resorts around the area.

For those end of season fliers there is a chance of rain both over here and over there but nothing to curtail operations

Don't forget the suncream next week!

Toodle-pip!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the updates throughout the season @chocksaway safe journey back.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@chocksaway, Hope you had a good trip back to the broad acres and enjoying a pint of proper beer Very Happy

Todays weather was no different to the rest of the season, forecast overcast with snow shower, actually a beautiful day with clear blue skies Very Happy How many times has this happened this year Puzzled

The pistes are still unbelievable good, a little firm in the morning, softening by mid day and a little slushy in the afternoon. Loads of marmottes playing in the sunshine.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@chocksaway, thanks for all the updates, I've really enjoyed reading them every day all season! Have a good summer.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@stewart woodward, A marvellous cruise across the north sea - the onboard ale is actually OK - I did think it might have come from the bilges as it was poured! Good ot see all the vineyard workers hard at it in the fields of the Champagne region as I drove through - I had no idea it was so labour intensive.

@HoneyBunny, @muppet, Pleasure - now wading through the mail - what happened to the internet era?
snow report
@chocksaway, glad you had a good crossing. Will keep a close watch on the vineyards next month as I have a work/tasting trip to Bordeaux. Hope to be back in the EK Nov/Dec.
latest report
@chocksaway, Yes can I add a thanks. Ski Les Arcs but always pop over here to read yourself and @stewart woodward for some updates from over the mountain. Thanks
ski holidays
Last day for me today Sad Sad Sad Sad

But it is sunny, the snow is good & I am sure lots of fun will be had Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Well that's the end of the season for me Sad Sad
Had a great ski around this morning, the pistes are still in great nick, the sun was shinning & very few people were about.

Now's the time to wax my skis, pack the car & depart for Blighty Very Happy

First game of golf booked for Saturday wink
snow report
@chocksaway, @stewart woodward and everyone else ... many thanks for another excellent season's thread.

Have a great summer - already looking forward to autumn.
snow conditions
Anyone skied down to Brievere over past couple of days?
Wondering whether to even try? Smile
Had a great week two more days left
ski holidays
Just a quick update. Final day in Tignes tomorrow before heading back to the UK Sunday morning. Have had a brilliant week and the conditions could not have been better. Given the fact it's been pushing 20 deg in resort the pistes have help up really well. Some brown patches starting to show and mega slush lower down in the afternoon but that's what spring is all about.
latest report
April 24. Today we went to Val d'Isere. The bad weather did not arrive and we had blue sky all day!

Set off early and were in Val when the lifts opened. Parked at Fornet and headed straight to the Solaise Chair. Up top on Madeleine Chair for a warm up and to see what the snow was like then as it was already becoming soft where the sun had reached the slopes we went to the Cugnai valley.

The start was refrozen crud, but it quickly became soft as we went lower and into the sunny side. Down through the valley to the refuge. No coffee ready so continued to the Manchet Chair.

Time to head for the Col Pers. After a fast ski across the pistes we reached the Col on the skiers right of the Glacier.

Met an ESF group just heading off piste on the same route as us. 12 clients, almost no back packs and not any sign of avalanche gear. Considering all the trouble caused by the ESF this winter re. Ski Hosts etc. They really do not set much of an example. I thought it was now illegal for ESF Instrutors to take people off piste without the correct safety equipment. I wonder what would have happened to the Instructor if there had been a problem.

We quickly passed this group and headed down the skiers left of the Col Pers route to stay in the spring snow. A most enjoyable ski with spring snow top to bottom. Thanks Alan (IS Guide) if you are reading for the advice about timing for starting this route. You were spot on!

After a fun ski down (I did not like the skate out at the bottom much) it was back up the Fornet Cable car and this time the Grand Vallon route. More spring snow and good conditions in the steeper section all the way to the bottom.

Time for lunch! After a nice lunch back up top and a forth tour. This time on the Glacier de Pissaillas down to the tow and chair. More spring snow although getting a little soft.

Finally a long ski down the left side of the valley to the top of the Fornet Cable car. One more route to go. Far right of the blue and red piste down some steeper gullys to the valley below and time for beer.

Take a look at the photos for today in the Espace Killy 2015 Album on my Les Arcs Winter page. Enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums
snow report
Just found this pic of the GM Cable Car after the storms of 30/31 Mar (from Le Dauphine) - no wonder it was in need of renovation Shocked Shocked

snow report
@chocksaway, Wow, that is really testing anything to the extreme.
ski holidays
Just received the details on the Summer Activities and skiing in Tignes from the Tourist Office:

On May 15th... Surprise! The resort got completely covered in 30 cm of fresh snow within just a few hours. A little spring present that couldn't get us to be more impatient about summer skiing on the glacier! Are you feeling the same? Then, from June 27th to August 9th, make sure you give your day a fresh start on the 20 km of pistes before heading to the snowpark (open between July 4th and August 7th) to show off your nicest runs.
Want some more? Good news: the Grande Motte glacier is open to pedestrians till August 29th!

Do you consider it impossible to fit all your sports cravings in your holiday budget? Well, in Tignes, nothing is impossible! Essential or completely wild activities: from June 27th to August 30th, you won't have to make choices anymore:

- Tignes - Val d'Isère Bike Park: FREE for all
- Pedestrian lifts (Tovière gondola, Palafour & Tufs chairlifts): FREE for all
- Sportignes card, that is THE door opener that gives you free access to the most emblematic activities of the resort? FREE for every stay of at least one night in Tignes!

MTB, hiking, hot-jumping, blob jump, crazy airbag, water sports centre, archery, mini-golf, trampoline... Your holiday to do list would make anyone's mouth water. Ready for an action-packed summer?

Looking for a nice playground to ride with your friends, all fans of "big bikes"? From June 27th to August 30th, head to Tignes - Val d'Isère Bike Park! 150 kms of MTB trails and 5 MTB lifts accessible to all for free: a perfect opportunity to put your bike (and its pilot) qualities to the test in the middle of breathtaking surroundings. Downhill and all mountain trails for beginners, improvers and experts, cross-country trails, an airbag to send a few tricks in safety and even a Bike Land for the kids who love to do everything "just like daddy": everyone will find something to their taste! Log on Tignes.net from June 26th on to check the opening of your favourite trails!

On the programme this summer: good music, action-packed shows, big bikes and much more entertainment to attend in between two sports activities! Here are a few events you just can't miss:

- 22/07: Live in Tignes concert (artist: coming soon!)
- 23/07-19/08: "MusicAlp" classical music festival
- 24-26/07: Commençal Days
- 29/07: Trial biking show
- 06/08: Flyboard show
- 22-23/08: Enduro Series Tignes-Val d'Isère MTB World Cup.
ski holidays
Not forgetting the most important event of the summer, the Wine Festival 12th-16th August Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
stewart woodward wrote:
Not forgetting the most important event of the summer, the Wine Festival 12th-16th August Very Happy Very Happy

One of the social weeks of the year Stewart, when a lot of the winter regulars meet up again Very Happy

As said above, plenty of activities going on and all free. I was amazed how many people were there last August. The bike trails get busier every year and I made full use of the kayaks and stand up paddle boards on the lake, although on the latter I spent some of the time in the lake. Unbelievably cold when you go under! Wet suits and life jackets compulsory but all provided free of charge. No wonder our local taxes are so high! It must be much cheaper than going to Center Parcs for a week with the family.

I won't make it this summer, but the much warmer waters of the Philippines for a month should be adequate compensation.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bumpity-bump. Don't forget the playground opens again tomorrow morning up on the Grande Motte - from the webcams it looks like they have been busy preparing and a reasonable amount of snow to be had. Very Happy
snow report
@chocksaway, have they got the cable car working again?
snow report
Yip - its running this morning, here's the detail on which lifts are open and when:

Bienvenue à Tignes.
Le glacier est ouvert du 27 juin 2015 au 9 août 2015.
Accès par le funiculaire (1er voyage : 7h15)
Ouverture des remontées pour les piétons&VTT :
Palafour&Tovière : tous les jours du 27 juin 2015 au 30 août 2015
Tufs : tous les jours du 4 juillet 2015 au 30 août 2015
Ouverture de l'accès à la Grande Motte, point culminant de Tignes (3456m) :
Funiculaire & Téléphérique : tous les jours du 27 juin 2015 au 29 août 2015.
snow report
When I look at the web cam (ok thats an issue in itself but not for here, my therapist will help me) of the Tignes glacier, there are people out there but it really looks grim, is it worth it?
snow report
Unless you are a dedicated racer probably better to stay in the village doing other sports such as cycling sailing and drinking. I wonder if they can stretch it out until Aug 9th (planned glacier closing).
ski holidays
I thought it was pretty grim last weekend when I was there. Monday, 20th we did only 2 runs before giving up. Not sure why the racers would bother, its that slushy there is no speed.
latest report
Is there a 2015/2016 thready yet? Posted as seperate but there may be some who only follow this thread so here goes as well

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=120300#2758867

Possibility of looking at a short break before Xmas, probably sometime between 5th-12th, looking at 4 days boarding on the slopes.

Anyone recommend providers of short breaks before Xmas Tignes/Val Thoren. Those offering deals including set pick ups/drops off from Geneva of most interest and higher is better...

We know mountiansun and have stayed with them before but might like to go right up into Tignes this time, but all options considered.
ski holidays
@thefatcontroller, Try the Tignes Chalet Company. Lots of choices & good guys.
snow report
Another vote for TCC... I stayed with them first week in December last year and they were great. Transfers at set times from Geneva are included in the price.
ski holidays
@stewart woodward, @Gämsbock, Cheers, the only issue is they seem to run 1 week only bookings pre season with weekend transfers, we want short break.
ski holidays
@thefatcontroller, Try this one:

http://mountainsunltd.com/shortskibreaks/tignes-chalet-hotel-les-melezes/

I believe one of the staff is a sH, she may be along later. They also do a daily transfer from GVA at 1930 ish. It is in Boisses/1800 so may involve a bus transfer of a few minutes as the whole of the resort may not be open.

The new season thread will be along shortly when I have checked all the links for the first page!
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
@thefatcontroller, Try this one:

http://mountainsunltd.com/shortskibreaks/tignes-chalet-hotel-les-melezes/

I believe one of the staff is a sH, she may be along later. They also do a daily transfer from GVA at 1930 ish. It is in Boisses/1800 so may involve a bus transfer of a few minutes as the whole of the resort may not be open.

The new season thread will be along shortly when I have checked all the links for the first page!

Cheers, we have done mountainsun before but can't book for another few weeks and they only have 3 places left for the whole of December! So need to consider alternatives. Look forward to new thread.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy