Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help with ski test shortlist needed

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
David Murdoch, Movement don't make any fat skis Wink Try the PowPow, it's fun. In fact telemark on it, you'll love it. Oh, and I'll see your fad and raise you a carver. Oops. You've already taken them heli-skiing... Wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
parlor, Laughing Laughing yeah right, wotever.

In fact I took my original 9XO's heliskiing - significantly narrower than my current ones or the '06 model.

Thankfully the first day was just a half day, as all my chums on their Volant Chubbs (wide-ish) were sweating not one little bit by the time we got home whereas I was just a tad damp, everywhere. And exhausted. I did feel adequately vindicated to move onto Chubbs myself the next day. (Phew!)

That said, one of the guides was on skinny skis - as he put it, "If I'm skiing hip deep powder, I want my hips to know too". He was Austrian and had been heli-guiding for, err, ever, so I guess he'd logged the hours.

Part of my argument with wide skis is that the same heli-week we had a really nice guy in our group who was not a strong skier by any measure. He didn't slow us down, but it was a close run thing and after day 2 the guides suggested he try (can't recall the model) some really fat skis. He then coped very nicely.

Which was great for him, us and everyone else, but...I think I want a little more challenge - and reward - from my skiing. I don't want to think that the technology is doing all the work. The Chubbs helped, I could 11 any slope, super-G any powder, etc. Much easier than (and differently fun from) my 9X0s but...

Before you ask, having tried a few fat skis in the last few years, I last used cable bindings and wooden skis in 1990. Our hire shop (reasonably) said the reps could either use their 1950s collection or use their own personal skis. A fair point given the conditions and leading to fun chairlift conversations with older ESF instructors reminiscing about their youth when they saw what we were skiing on! It did make one concentrate on technique rather than technology wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I used to feel the same way David. Wink

Mince pie anyone?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy