Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help with ski test shortlist needed

Poster: A snowHead
Drawing up a shortlist of skis to demo/test in resort this Christmas, and looking for some snowHead input. I’m a 17 week intermediate, and looking for an all-mountain ski that’ll treat me nicely off-piste without compromising grip on ice and hard pack. So far I’ve got:

- Bandit B2
- Bandit B3
- Volkl Unlimited AC3
- Salomon Scrambler Hot
- Metron B5
- K2 Apache Recon

Possibly also Head Monster 72 or XL?

Any more recommendations to add to the list?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dave Burt, here's a review of some skis I did earlier this year...
http://skiing.wtfh.com/snowHeads/snowheads_ski_review_2005.htm

From the ones I demoed, you may want to add the Nordica 12.1 SUV to your list, and possibly the K2 Public Enemy, although I'm not sure if you'd enjoy them as much.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dave Burt, Ditch the Scrambler & add the Nordica Hot Rod Top Fuel. Unless your 225lbs plus stay clear of the b5 in 172cm.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
    Bandit B3
    Bandit B4
    Volkl Karma
    Line Prophet 80
    Dynastar Big Trouble
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon wrote:
Dave Burt, Ditch the Scrambler & add the Nordica Hot Rod Top Fuel. Unless your 225lbs plus stay clear of the b5 in 172cm.

Edit: Oops, I was thinking of the Scrambler 9 which I've tried & it just didn't get close to the b5 or even the Recons. I've not tried the Hot but it got good reviews on Realskiers.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon, it got good reviews here before realskiers had seen it!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
parlor, you left out the smilie from your post!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wear The Fox Hat, have you tried a M666 yet?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
comprex, not yet. Maybe next weekend... Wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would definitely suggest trying the Monster 72. Well, I would since I just bought them Wink I tested the AC3 and the iM72 and put a review up last week if you think that would help you
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dave Burt, Another vote for the Hot Rod, Earlier this year I demoed the Nitrous which has the same dimensions as the Top Fuel but is a little softer. I clearly preferred this Ski over the B5
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
blueskix wrote:
.....I clearly preferred this Ski over the B5

That there's fightin' talk Mad

wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Get treated nice off piste without compromising grip?

Quote:
    Bandit B3
    Bandit B4
    Volkl Karma
    Line Prophet 80
    Dynastar Big Trouble
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
parlor, you forgot the smilie again!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
eng_ch, I second the Head Monster suggestion
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, for the first time, I just got your name LMAO Laughing :lol Laughing
latest report
parlor, What a brave admission Shocked Thickie baton coming your way Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
I don't mind. I guess I'm becoming some kindof cyber nerd. I've even spelt it out before, note to self spend less time with Mary. I'm a skier not a computer geek...

There isn't any smilie need for the original post. Why would someone test a load of skis without testing what the future holds? 9 or 10 years ago we would have been having the same discussion about carving skis.

DON'T BE AFRAID TO TRY SOMETHING NEW. EVEN WHEN IT'S GOOD FOR YOU. Twisted Evil

For you guys they might be fat skis, to me they are mid-fat.

Jamie Oliver has the right idea, try something new for Christmas.
snow conditions
Well thanks guys. I'll definitely add the Monster 72 (eng_ch, yep, it was your review that prompted me to contemplate them - really useful write ups) and the Hot Rods. May well try the 12.1 SUVs too.

parlor, I think some of these might be a bit too fat for me (ditto the Public Enemies) - I am certainly not looking to be doing tricks in the park, or even any big back-country stuff!
ski holidays
Dave Burt,

Out of your original list I would expect all bar the Volkl, Metron and Xl to be compromised somewhat on ice.
If you are going to use it on-piste with a few forays into deeper stuff then get the ski that cuts ice the best but floats well.

I think the Nordica sounds good but try the XL - it may be too stiff for you - but if you can ski it then it will serve all your needs
as described and some
latest report
spyderjon, I promise, I promise, I promise to test the B5's in the 162, By the way it was your suggestion to try the Hot Rods
latest report
blueskix,

I remember you thought the b5 was crap at the PSB....... oooooppppppsss...!! Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
JT, Yes I tested the B5 length 172, and yes I thought they really sucked. When I first picked them up I had to check that I hadn't picked up a railway sleeper by mistake - they were so heavy. On the snow they just didn't have any fun in them. spyderjon, assures me that the B5 transforms itself into a wonder ski when skied short. After reading so many other positive reviews given the opportunity I would like to try the B5 in the 162. Ise and Lampbus also didn't like them.
latest report
blueskix,

I wouldn't like a railway sleeper at 172.. Laughing

Post back when you try the short gauge railway sleeper...!!!
latest report
Dave Burt, what's the widest waisted ski you have been on?
ski holidays
Personally I'd add the 1080 to your list, I know some people don't like them, but others (inc me) love them for an all mountain ski.
latest report
blueskix wrote:
JT, Yes I tested the B5 length 172, and yes I thought they really sucked. When I first picked them up I had to check that I hadn't picked up a railway sleeper by mistake - they were so heavy. On the snow they just didn't have any fun in them. spyderjon, assures me that the B5 transforms itself into a wonder ski when skied short. After reading so many other positive reviews given the opportunity I would like to try the B5 in the 162. Ise and Lampbus also didn't like them.

I think that Ise & Lampus only tried the b5 in 172. If I recall Lampus was planning to redemo them 162 on the Sun morning but the problems with the test passes might have mucked up his plans. I reckon that you got to be a 240lb'er to work the 172. Maybe that's why they sell well in the US Laughing
snow conditions
parlor wrote:
Dave Burt, what's the widest waisted ski you have been on?

No idea. But why would I want I great fat ski which I wouldn't know how to control on the piste?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bit of a hijack, but how do people find the Metron M:11 compared to the B5?
snow conditions
mark_s wrote:
Bit of a hijack, but how do people find the Metron M:11 compared to the B5?

For me (a 200lb'er & b5/162 owner) the M11 in 162 is softer & not as stable at warp speed as it doesn't have the beta 5 system. Also not quite the edge hold, especially on ice. Both skis reward modern technique with the M11 being the more for forgiving of the two. The b5 is not really forgiving, especially if your fore/aft balance is off. The b5 also requires more subtle inputs.

I haven't tried the M11 in 172 but at my weight I go for the 172 if I the b5 wasn't available.

Rockyrobin (140lbs) found my b5 to be too much & is very happy on his M11's in 162.

Basically the b5 just has more top end performance so it's better suited to an agressive skier.
snow report
Dave Burt, Embarassed OK but if you're not sure what the widest ski you've tried is it can't have been anything special. What are you scared of? Do you really think the skis I mentioned ^ fat? How did you find the internet? People have only been using it for a few years Shocked Do you have a mobile phone? Shocked

Why do I care? Less people *trying* to ski off piste. Twisted Evil

A fat ski is 90+mm, my everyday ski is 96mm, I've just bought 130mm and expect to ride them in bumps and on hardpack, even though I don't need to.

Don't be shy and don't knock it till you've tried it. I whole point of a ski test is to work out what's for you. How are you gonna know until you try it?

Why not take out at least one mid fat. I don't think you'll be able to tell the difference between a few of the skis your going to test anyway so ski something that will make a difference to where and how you ski.

Or ski the same boring skis as everyone else because everyone else liked them... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
ski holidays
parlor wrote:
I don't mind. I guess I'm becoming some kindof cyber nerd. I've even spelt it out before, note to self spend less time with Mary. I'm a skier not a computer geek...

Nor, would I guess, are you into horse racing, which is where my name comes from originally.
snow conditions
Tried some horse riding some time ago, damn thing wasn't into cliff drops. Gave it back. For racing, I prefer the dogs. Twisted Evil

Foxy, you're not scared of a bit of girth, tell 'em^^^
latest report
Dave Burt, head Monsters as discussed, but if you can find them Scott Aztec (the only truly all-round ski I've ever skied) and the Scott P3 which is a bit more piste orientated. No guarantee that you'll find a shop which stocks Scotts though. The K2 Public Enemy (mentioned above) is very popular for all round, but not a top noch off piste ski.

I would consider Rossi B4's PHAT BTW.
ski holidays
parlor, I'm not scared of girth on my second pair of skis, but I wouldn't want to have something over 85mm if I was only to have one pair.
ski holidays
I've seen a good review for the Stockli Stormriders, but as I haven't tried them I can't give a verdict. However, there is bound to be a few people on this board who have.
latest report
[quote="Wear The Fox Hat"][b]parlor, I'm not scared of girth on my second pair of skis, but I wouldn't want to have something over 85mm if I was only to have one pair.[/quote][/b]

LUDITE! I guess it would be awful to find out after all these years of skiing indoors, that you were wrong. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Dave Burt,

Out of the Monsters try the 77 as it will be easier off-psite and I wouldn't exepct it to suffer against the M72 on piste, if at all..
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, you have two pairs of skis (or more Wink) so you're OK. And even with a maximum of 85mm some of these ^ people are still calling that fat... We need a smilie for <hanging my head in shame>
ski holidays
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy