Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Malcom Erskin - Dismissed!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
dulcamara, You do know that Malcolm runs British Ski Academy ? There are other British run training groups spread around the Alps that provide education too.

The main thing that affects me is the cost of entering GBR races, even if you can afford it they are priced at a level where you start to look at what else you could do with the money, I like skiing gates but £60 per run is a bit much. The entries for GBR races were down by a lot this winter, I guess the entry fees will have to go up even more next winter to compensate.

I think it is interesting that the US federation has recognized that they need to do more for the grassroots of the sport.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I thought Chemmy lived in Lofer, no?

http://youtube.com/v/i0xU4FhuYGE
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DB wrote:
I thought Chemmy lived in Lofer, no?

She trained in Flaine as a child.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wait he's runs BSA? I didn't catch that, used to hate those stuck up kids... stopped caring now!

But the coaching courses always cost a lot of money, that was the point when my brother and I realised it was simply never going to happen (also it didnt help that we sucked) splashing out thousands a season for a british run school/training abroad just isnt possible for the majority. This is why I was thinking there might be a way to get british athletes into foreign skiing schools. Locals in Austria go there for free. They even get instructor qualifications for a fifth the normal price. So the athletes would have a fall back ("those that can't" and all that)

DB, very possibly, I justremember about 10 years ago someone saying she was in france, no credentials checked...

EDIT: well look at that 1000 posts, wonder how many hours of my life that represents Puzzled
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dulcamara, The stuck up kids fund the bursaries that go to the few with talent. Malcolm also employs some of the older racers as part-time coaches. I don't like the business model much but I do understand how it works.

The other training groups are smaller and more selective about who they take.

There are equivalent French training groups too that try to keep costs down, Jai skis with the one in Meribel.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Here (Austria) you go to a "Ski-Fachhochschule" it's a basically secondary school dedicated solely to skiing, completely free, just like a normal school, you ski every morning, have lessons in the afternoon and fitness after.

Great for making skiers, some are a little socially difficult after I have found though...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dulcamara, Are the Austrian schools residential ?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
do you mean, do people travel around for them (answer is yes) or do you mean are they like bording schools (in which case i think it varies) not really looked into it much
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dulcamara, I was just wondering where you were suggesting that British kids attending these schools could stay.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rjs, they have boarding houses for weekly boarders, I know kooky's son was a weekly boarder at the Schladming (normal secondary education with ski racing training)and Bad Gastein (Technical/Vocational college type school with ski racing) Ski high Schools. The foreign students just stay over the weekends as well. The Bell boys among other UK skiers attended the ski High school at Stams I believe.
If they don't have boarding accommodation then they are "farmed out" to local families or to teacher/trainers's houses to live with the families.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Samerberg Sue, Knowledge!

Just trying to think of ways to move ski racing out of the realms of the elite and more like it is here, (basically a bunch of farmers sliding around while the cows are in the winter barn)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dulcamara, rjs, One of my old trainees entered an Austrian school http://www.skihauptschule.at/ It is a real life changer, he speaks German and the curriculum is based around sports and skiing. In addition to the Bell's at least one other Brit Olympic skier did the same...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy