Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Malcom Erskin - Dismissed!

Poster: A snowHead
Statement from BSS:

British Ski and Snowboard (BSS) announced today that they have dismissed the Chair of the Alpine, Speed and Telemark committee, Malcolm Erskine, on the grounds of gross and persistent misconduct in breach of British Ski and Snowboard’s published Code of Conduct.

British Ski and Snowboard’s decision was based upon information brought to the attention of the BSS Board following Mr Erskine’s official appointment as Chair of the Alpine, Speed and Telemark Committee on 12th June 2014.

On 13th June 2014 Mr Erskine was thought to have been in breach of the BSS Code of Conduct following inappropriate and insulting comments made in an email to a senior team member at the British Olympic Association (BOA). The Chief Executive of the BOA complained about the email and the matter was discussed by the BSS CEO, Chairman and Independent Directors of BSS. On 16th June 2014 Mr Erskine was notified of the complaint from the BOA and of BSS’s concerns about a potential breach of the BSS Code of Conduct. He was invited to attend a meeting with the Chairman of BSS to discuss the matter and was urged to apologise to the BOA and the staff member concerned. Mr Erskine failed to agree to meet and appeared to create further tension between BSS and the BOA by creating an article which was published on the Racer Ready website on 17th June. This article included further insults and highly inappropriate comments about BOA staff and their relationship with BSS. This article can be viewed here: http://racer-ready.co.uk/2014/06/17/a-storm-in-a-coffee-cup-fighting-for-the-future-of-the-sport/ . The Chairman of BSS again asked to meet with Mr Erskine to discuss the matter. No response was received from Mr Erskine.

This series of events led to a BSS Board meeting on 27th June attended by all current Board members and Home Nations observers with the exception of Mr Bartelski. At the meeting it was unanimously agreed that Mr Erskine had committed a number of serious breaches to the BSS Code of Conduct and committed gross misconduct in relation to the article published on Racer Ready. The BSS Board agreed unanimously that the persistent nature of his breaches of the BSS Code of Conduct and gross misconduct in the preparation of an insulting and inappropriate press article meant that Mr Erskine was not a fit candidate to hold the position of an Official within BSS.

Mr Erskine has been dismissed from his position as Chair of the Alpine, Speed and Telemark Committee with immediate effect and will not be invited to join the Board of the Company. BSS will commence a search for a new candidate for this position immediately. This matter has been discussed with our key partners.

The position of Chairman of the Alpine, Speed and Telemark Committee will be temporarily be covered by Mr Adrian Pery (current vice Chair of the Committee).

BSS will make an announcement on the process for electing a new Chair for the Alpine Speed and Telemark Committee in the next seven days with an intent to see a new candidate elected before the Company’s Annual General Meeting in early September.

Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just saw this in my emails too Puzzled

Can anyone shed some light?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i can't see anything in the published article which justifies such an action, from all those who i have spoken to it appears that certain people do not want him there as he was asking too many questions...transparency is what he always said he was going to want, it seems the board don't want it
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hyenas V a Lion
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wonder if on reflection he'll think taking an antagonistic stance was a strategic mistake.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
i.e. In the end it's been self-defeating and achieved nothing for his constituency.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I can't see how this helps, but can see nothing to be done, we have to hold some faith in human nature I guess, trust the powers that be, I for one have no reason to question the BSS's ethics and passion for what they do, it's far too easy to sling mud in their direction.

Quote:

certain people do not want him there as he was asking too many questions...transparency is what he always said he was going to want, it seems the board don't want it

Sounds familiar Colin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
evski, I don't remember reading anything in the ballot paper stating that I might just be voting for an observer to this committee, BSS announced after the vote that Konrad Bartelski would stay in charge for several months.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I know nothing of the ins and outs of this, my point is just that, looking from the outside, he appeared to give his opponents a golden opportunity to get rid of him before he even started.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
.... Perhaps they would have found some other way anyway, who knows.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This Erskine chap sounds just like the sort of person who should be being promoted rather than dismissed.

Poor show BSS.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name, He's a really nice bloke in my experience and would be perhaps good given his success running BSA and knowledge of the sport. Perhaps in this instance with all the noise being made, a heavy footed approach resonating "Integrity" was a bit clumsy. This is all very political and boring isn't it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As an outsider who was extremely disappointed by BSS/BOA's athlete barring policy for Sochi e.g. Men's speed, women's skicross this almost seems beyond a joke - deliberately snubbing the will of all the members who elected him. Junta politics at the BSS?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
..Junta politics at the BSS?

almost right Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lets see, someone with a change agenda is voted in and before he is even properly in place the incumbents boot him out. And if Mr Erskin's letters and articles merit dismissal I wonder why the powers that be were not up in arms over some of the letters, articles and social media posts of a couple of individuals set to benefit from all this.
How any independent observer can see anything but corruption at play I don't know!
ski holidays
davkt, that would be my uneducated presumption
snow conditions
And given how secret the ballot numbers are being kept my presumption is Mr E won a landslide.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
+1
snow report
Pedantica wrote:
under a new name wrote:
+1

+1
snow report
does the organisation receive any public funds?
snow conditions
pam w, yes it does, and due to that fact the information he requested will be available through a freedom of information request! it is all getting very interesting, there are at least two far more serious comment that have been made in public by members of the board/committees for which no action was taken, double standards seem to be order of the day

comments made by the outgoing chair telling someone on Facebook that he talks Sh!t3 and to STFU, and a letter send by the performance director to the parent of an athlete saying that FIS races were all fixed

yet nothing done about these
snow conditions
CEM, I wonder why Erskine didn't ask for a FOI release? It would also be useful for people who know what this is all about to write to their MP - who would then write to the Department. An MP's letter will get much more senior attention than a letter from a member of the public as the reply will be signed by a Minister.
ski holidays
CEM wrote:
pam w, yes it does, and due to that fact the information he requested will be available through a freedom of information request! it is all getting very interesting, there are at least two far more serious comment that have been made in public by members of the board/committees for which no action was taken, double standards seem to be order of the day

comments made by the outgoing chair telling someone on Facebook that he talks Sh!t3 and to STFU, and a letter send by the performance director to the parent of an athlete saying that FIS races were all fixed

yet nothing done about these

I agree, and legally I would think that they are on shaky ground here, justifying their stance. Also as they ve just been put in charge of nearly £5m worth of funding they need to be above reproach.

I hope that Malcolm doesnt give up, and continues with his campaign, otherwise the current management and directors will regard themselves as 'bullet proof'

I feel a 'crowdfunded' appeal for legal costs.......... Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

I feel a 'crowdfunded' appeal for legal costs..........

shouldn't need that; questions about the governance and transparency of organisations which receive public funds have to be answered, if asked in the right way.
ski holidays
So, if I read this correctly, Erskine won, wanted to know just how big his balls were so he could order his victory pants, and sent a snotty email after the adjudicator said 'no, not telling'. The Shadowy Council of Snow Eldars took this snotty email as not the sort of thing El Presidenté should be doing and were never that keen on the whole messy 'democracy' thing so retired him to the BSS datcha on the shores of the Aral sea on the grounds of being an asshat before he even click "Buy It Now" on the hookers and blow for his winners party.

Does ANYONE get to walk away from this clusterf*ck unspattered with unspeakable goo...
snow conditions
Richard_Sideways, Malcolm won the vote and was told that he could be an observer to the committee for several months, I think he wanted to know the size of his vote in order to persuade the previous chairman to step down now.
latest report
Still sounds like a sore winner, who's just given his opponents a big pile of ammo
latest report
... just read through an article on Whitelines which seems to imply that Erskine has suggested that part of the new funding coming through from Sport GB for the Freestyle teams should be diverted over to Alpine disciplines... Have not seen that before - anyone confirm or deny that?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Richard_Sideways, You could go to the meeting tonight and ask Malcolm yourself.

I'm an Alpine coach, I have coached freestyle athletes, somebody has to teach them how to turn, should I refuse to help in future ?
snow conditions
so here we're seeing some kind of Bias, Firstly, how many winter disaplines are there? Are we going to fund them all equally? If not, why and how are funds going to be allocated?
ski holidays
Quote:

seems to imply that Erskine has suggested that part of the new funding coming through from Sport GB for the Freestyle teams should be diverted over to Alpine disciplines

Head of speed disciplines wants (wanted?) money from freestyle disciplines... not so surprising.

Quote:

so here we're seeing some kind of Bias, Firstly, how many winter disaplines are there? Are we going to fund them all equally? If not, why and how are funds going to be allocated?

No they don't get funded equally, because there's not much money to go around and so funding is going on the stuff we have a better chance of winning at!

Not so surprising, Cycling gets more money than Greco-Roman wrestling, swimming more than synchronised swimming, running more than volleyball
latest report
there we go, no more tears for the talentless!
snow report
the UK sport money is set aside for the park and pipe program, because UK sport look at podium potential for their funding criteria, i think there was some confusion with people thinking that alpine want that money, it was made quite clear at the London meeting last night that they don't. Alpine is looking at ways to raise profile of the athletes and teams and get some funding in place with private/corporate money, until that happens and some alpine athletes are getting the required results then there would be no money from UK sport the position between Malcolm and the board of BSS was not discussed at the meeting, lots of positivity in the room and a few ideas coming out of it, lets see where it goes to.
ski holidays
I didn't get sent to do Biathlon, i'm gutted, i'm retiring;
snow report
CH2O, you are actually a brainless troll!
ski holidays
Meanwhile, elsewhere the Government happily gives £7.5 million directly to a one boat challenge in a sailing race.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-28103917
ski holidays
I'd say that was a fairly modest government "investment" in a project with the potential for major economic impact and which can also expect major private sector investment. The job-creation impact alone might be more cost-effective than some Government programmes and they should be high quality jobs too.
ski holidays
I think legally his (bordering-on-racist "no British trained lawyer") abuse of the lawyer is indeed gross misconduct, and his dismissal in light of this seems justified.

I know if I published something like that about people in my organisation (a large multinational organisation) I would be out the door by lunch time.
snow conditions
pam w, That looks like a good way to keep some shipbuilding going in Portsmouth in case Scotland votes for independence.
ski holidays
Just spit balling here..

No funding in racing, only really open to parents rich enough to fund a million flights a year, all the gear, trainers and to a child with no aspirations of going to university which will just break their training and fill them with lazy alcohol for four of their prime years.

To set up a full british program will cost far too much and won't return anything for at least 10 years. What about piggy backing off pre-existing european facilities? Go work in France/Austria/Switzerland and/or send the kids to a skiing secondary school like in Austria. Pay triple what the locals pay (which is next to nothing) to keep them happy and you get some fully trained gate bashers who benifit from school sponsored kit, training, local mountains and an education (albeit not a great one)

Chemmy lived out in France no? I mean yeah her parents were rich as well but maybe it doesn't have to be that way Puzzled

thoughts?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy