Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fewer catered chalet holidays in Switzerland?

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.planetski.eu/news/6114

Anyone tried to book a catered chalet holiday in Switzerland for next season? Is there fewer catered chalets on offer?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Interesting. And similar noises coming out of Italy, too. Not surprising, I suppose. Not clear why any country would tolerate a significant number of businesses who fail to abide by their labour laws. There's been quite a lot of news over recent years about attempts to clamp down on some of the more exploitative "gangmasters" in British agri-business. I bought a pack of 800g of strawberries for £2 the other day - they weren't "marked down" because of date - they had plenty of time before their "use by" date. I did wonder how it was possible to put strawberries into a retail setting at that sort of price and how much the pickers had been paid.

Still bought them though, and made some delicious jam. Embarassed
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Could be a good time to buy a chalet in Switzerland for private use. I'll just sell one of my private planes and grab a few at a discounted rate.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, I have been reading the articles as well about the Swiss changing the law about min pay, this had been on the cards for a little time, so most of the tour companies knew it was coming and have reacted already by reducing their operations for Switzerland next season.

As mentioned above the people who own their own chalets in Switzerland and run them themselves should now be rubbing their hands together. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
UK Tour Ops, can't afford to meet the requirements regarding min pay for Hot/Cat staff, which would equate to a higher salary than a Junior Doctor in the UK. If they did, then prices for guests would rise rather a lot. Folks running Chalets for themselves will also need to meet the minimum req. and face inspections for compliance.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Surly the prices just inflate, someone will pay it....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

someone will pay it...

some people will pay for really high quality accommodation and service, certainly - for some people money is absolutely no object. But yer average package holiday punter will not pay £X4 in Switzerland if he can get an equivalent holiday for £X2 in France. Though the days of cheap catered chalets using cheap young British staff might be numbered there too, not just because of French rules but because of smart competition from young East Europeans who speak the relevant languages and who are prepared to work hard and don't expect to spend 5 days skiing every day.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

But yer average package holiday punter will not pay £X4 in Switzerland

True and i have limited experience here so i'll defer, but my understanding was that those people go to France / Austria / Italy anyway and stay away form Switzerland due to the costs anyway?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
^

That's a broad brush statement. I can think of people who go to Val d'Isere or Couchevel who aren't exactly short of a bob or two.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I can think of people who go to Val d'Isere or Couchevel who aren't exactly short of a bob or two

Laughing understatement of the year, dogwatch. My son cooked in a chalet in Val d'Isere and one lot of British guests left a couple of thousand euro tip for the staff to share between them. Not only well off, but also generous and appreciative!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

stay away form Switzerland due to the costs anyway

Yeah, no-one skis in Switzerland. Verbier is a ghost town mid season.

Given the limited reaction in the Swiss press, I think this is a very "local" issue, local, that is, to the UK (and Dutch(?)).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's a red herring IMV; a formal minimum wage was voted down in the last referendum and the authorities have always checked salaries (to guard against wage dumping) when work permits are approved.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think that the reduction in chalet holidays in Switzerland is specifically due to Hotel Plan (ie esprit, inghams etc) dropping their chalet program there this year. Like TUI etc they are keeping only a hotel program running in Switzerland for next season and beyond.

I don't work for them so can't be 100% sure what prompted the decision but I would hazard a guess that it is linked to a tightening of Swiss labour laws. Most companies like their holiday costs to be relatively standard across countries and if you have one country which is massively more expensive to run you either have to sell the holidays a lot more expensive, or make significantly less on them.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You can't blame the Swiss for stiching closed a labour loophole, Swiss hoteliers have been hit hard in recent years by the strong Swiss Franc, they have to pay out wages according to Swiss Law and it must be incredibly annoying to see competitors based in the UK using a loophole to pay their staff a pitance (thus allowing them to make much larger profits), there are I believe also mandatory wage increases for long service for staff.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I can think of people who go to Val d'Isere or Couchevel who aren't exactly short of a bob or two

Laughing understatement of the year, dogwatch. My son cooked in a chalet in Val d'Isere and one lot of British guests left a couple of thousand euro tip for the staff to share between them. Not only well off, but also generous and appreciative!

That's not uncommon, if you just had a great holiday courtesy of one of you friends then you tip the staff with a goodly amount.
You should never tell the owner as its embarrassing for him, although I often get similar feedback.
ski holidays
Quote:

That's not uncommon, if you just had a great holiday courtesy of one of you friends then you tip the staff with a goodly amount.
You should never tell the owner as its embarrassing for him

Puzzled
snow report
bit of an update here

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/skiing-news/11035026/Swiss-law-change-sparks-UK-ski-chalet-closures.html
snow conditions
As pam w has suggested the French have already picked up on companies employing people on non-local i.e. UK, contracts. Given the dire state of things in France at the moment, there is bound to be a tightening up of the rules in France.

Didn't the recent case of the British instructor also get fined for employing people on UK contracts and not following all the French employment legislation?

When this happens then I would imagine that French chalet costs will rise close to the Swiss ones.

Perhaps, what this shows is that the Brits have been doing things on the cheap and can actually only really afford chalet holidays in Bulgaria.
snow conditions
Brits aren't breaking the law in the EU working on english contracts - However Switzerland required a visa and is not part of the EEA.

Brits have the right to work on a "Secondment" overseas within the EEA (not Switzerland) as long as they have been employed in the UK and have an A1 to prove national insurance contributions.
ski holidays
Quote:

Brits have the right to work on a "Secondment" overseas within the EEA (not Switzerland) as long as they have been employed in the UK

Ah, this is the bit I don't understand. If the law is intended to allow for employees already employed in their home country to be seconded for a limited period abroad, then how can a chalet worker who is ONLY employed to work abroad without any period of employment in the home country (both before or after) be possibly classified as being on secondment?
snow report
Because the employee was hired in the UK.

If they are hired already residing in a foreign resort i believe that would break the rules as they would not be on a secondment.

Also the wages go into a Uk bank account with NI contributions and this can be proved with the A1.
snow report
Quote:
don't expect to spend 5 days skiing every day.

I wish I knew how to do that, would make my week a lot more exciting, assume you need a time machine or something

Puzzled wink
ski holidays
Is it not being protectionist, or is that only when the French do it?
snow report
skiorboard, EU members do not require a VISA to work in Switzerland, they do require a work permit though, if the work is for longer than 3 months they also need to get a residency permit and I believe they have to apply for this within 8 days of arriving in Switzerland
ski holidays
D G Orf, so this is why nixmap wants volunteers
snow conditions
There is no new laws regarding minimum wage in Switzerland, but there is a 15-year old legally binding collective labour agreement for the hotel and restaurant industry including chalet operators that regulates minimum pay, working ours, holidays, termination of employment etc. and cantonal authorities in Valais finally started to enforce it. It's not protectionism, just as it's not in France. But a person working and living in Switzerland has to be paid a Swiss wage, pay Swiss taxes and insurances. So basically personnel arriving on British contracts that don't comply to Swiss minimums won't be issued work permits.
latest report
I never get why an industry which charges a lot of money and makes big profits can get away with paying their staff hardly any wages and get all high and mighty when this is no longer allowed.
latest report
Do you think TOs make big profits?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Someone must be.
ski holidays
TUI probably did, and they own half the TOs.
ski holidays
£34K (cited in the Telegraph) does seem rather generous for a minimum wage. But that's the Swiss people's prerogative - they're an independent country that can run their economy in the way they see fit.

Although I'm a bit of a free market guy, I can see that this might work well for them. Switzerland is a small country and it can make a very comfortable living by appealing solely to the luxury market. Catered chalets full of boorish Brits seeking a cheap holiday hardly improve the ambiance of a resort for the more affluent punter and don't bring a great deal of cash into the local economy. I completely accept that most Brits seeking a cheap holiday aren't boorish, but enough are for it to make economic sense to shut out the party brigade. However unpalatable it might be, social segregation on income grounds can make good economic sense.
latest report
andy wrote:
TUI probably did, and they own half the TOs.

£181m profit before tax to be precise in the year to 31 September 2013. That sounds a lot until you realise their revenues were £15bn. Profits of 1.2% are a massive £12 on a £1,000 skiing holiday. That doesn't leave a lot of spare cash to pay higher wages to chalet staff, which is why so many tour operators have reduced their exposure to the Swis market.
snow conditions
34k is only about 50% more than what some are calling for as the UK minimum wage. Add in GBP depreciation of 25% compared to Euro, and CHF appreciation of quite a lot (enough for the Swiss to pass law on exchange rate), and even if the Swiss minimum wage numbers didn't change in 5 years there's not really much in it.
latest report
D G Orf wrote:
skiorboard, EU members do not require a VISA to work in Switzerland, they do require a work permit though, if the work is for longer than 3 months they also need to get a residency permit and I believe they have to apply for this within 8 days of arriving in Switzerland

My mistake its been a while since ive worked there, but do remember having to fill in a form stating how much i was earning and it did state minimum amounts which you had to earn, cost of accommodation etc etc
latest report
andy wrote:
34k is only about 50% more than what some are calling for as the UK minimum wage.

The current UK adult minimum wage works out around £12.5K. Who's calling for it to be doubled?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 12-09-14 10:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
dogwatch wrote:
andy wrote:
34k is only about 50% more than what some are calling for as the UK minimum wage.

The current UK adult minimum wage works out around £11.5K. Who's calling for it to be doubled?

People earning 11.5k probably Laughing
latest report
skiorboard wrote:
dogwatch wrote:
andy wrote:

The current UK adult minimum wage works out around £11.5K. Who's calling for it to be doubled?

People earning 11.5k probably Laughing

Plus the people paying for the working tax credits of those on 11.5k.
snow conditions
Would you rather be paying their dole?
ski holidays
dogwatch wrote:
Would you rather be paying their dole?

I would prefer to pay them a Basic Income, something that has been considered by Switzerland, an amount enough to live somewhere cheap within the UK.
ski holidays
That's a restructuring of the benefits system, not the same as a minimum wage. A policy of the UK Greens, I believe.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy