Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Blizzard Cochise - will my Coomback skins fit ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
Looking at new skis for next season to replace Volkl Gotamas - the 2015 Cochise looks favourite .... although there are good deals on the last year model at the moment ... but see the new one is a little softer so will probably wait and pay for that.
Question is will my K2 Coomback skins - 188cm long, 135mm shovel, 102mm waist and 121mm tail fit the Cochise which is 185cm long, 135mm shovel, 108mm waist and 123mm tail ?
I am pretty sure they will fit .... but will the waist gap from skin to edge be too large ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Should be ok. Sidehilling on very firm snow might be a little nerve-wracking, but who goes touring for that..?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PBJ, check-out the 186cm Whitedot Ranger as it does everything the Cochise does with less overall weight & swing weight. The traditional construction version is just over 200g lighter per ski & the CarbonLite version is over well over 400g per ski lighter. And your skins will fit 'em as well. I've got a 13/14 trad & CL left at the right price & I'm doing a pre-order deal on the 14/15 skis wink Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon wrote:
PBJ, check-out the 186cm Whitedot Ranger as it does everything the Cochise does

The Ranger looks jolly nice, but I don't really think it will do everything that the Cochise does, somehow... all that extra weight and metal isn't just there to make you tired.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Serriadh wrote:
spyderjon wrote:
PBJ, check-out the 186cm Whitedot Ranger as it does everything the Cochise does

The Ranger looks jolly nice, but I don't really think it will do everything that the Cochise does, somehow... all that extra weight and metal isn't just there to make you tired.

Serriadh, I sell them both & have skied them both in a wide range of conditions from overnight refrozen hardpack to fresh, windpack/crud & spring corn & that's my conclusion.

The metal layered Cochise should have the upper hand on hardpack but the Rangers are very torsionally stiff & I feel that any 'on paper' advantage the Cochise has for hard snow in reality is lost due the width of the ski. I've skied the narrower Blizzard Brahma's (which I own) & Bonafide's which are the same construction as the Cochise but perform noticeably better on hardpack due to their reduced width.

The metal layer in the Cochise also brings dampening but the traditional construction Whitedots are very damp but it's achieved by using a more advanced rubber/glass/carbon kevlar lay up to give the benefit but with reduced weight. Plus you only have to drill in to them to see that the WD cores are waaay more substantial than that of the Blizzards as highlighted by the Blizzards needing an additional part length of metal underfoot for binding screw retention (that adds even more weight) whereas the WD's use a lighter but equally strong dry weave composite layer to achieve that.

And when the OP is talking about using skins the overall weight of the ski makes a huge difference to it's usability.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the comments ...... the Ranger looks good .... I'm not so worried about the weight as I don't see this as a longer distance skinning ski .... more likely to use Coombacks for that. Really an hour at most on the Cochise for side country stuff.

Thanks for the technical update .... sounds like WD are cutting edge by comparison ....

Also not so sure about the squared tip of the Ranger ..... probably me but doesn't look right ! and saw Simon Christies comment about skin attachment issues on this tip.
The new Cochise looks awesome.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PBJ wrote:
Thanks for the comments ...... the Ranger looks good .... I'm not so worried about the weight as I don't see this as a longer distance skinning ski .... more likely to use Coombacks for that. Really an hour at most on the Cochise for side country stuff.

Thanks for the technical update .... sounds like WD are cutting edge by comparison ....

Also not so sure about the squared tip of the Ranger ..... probably me but doesn't look right ! and saw Simon Christies comment about skin attachment issues on this tip.
The new Cochise looks awesome.

The WD tip shape is tried/tested/proven over many years but it does mean that you have to initially set-up the skin tip loop correctly/more precisely than more pointed shapes but if you do that you'll have no problems - plus there's the benefit of the aluminium tail piece/skin notch. Simon also described the Rangers as awesome Cool

I'd be pleased to offer you a pre-order deal on the Cochise's wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy