Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski season in Japan?

Poster: A snowHead
I have been looking into doing a ski season in Japan. I am 22 and a CSIA level 2 instructor recently qualified (and just finished uni). I would ideally like to go to Niseko (or another resort with larger amounts of english speaking people) so I can get a job in ski school to get some teaching experience as I want to keep working in the ski industry and have no interest in doing any jobs with my degree (chemical engineering).

I am hoping people can give me some info on stuff I haven't been able to find/confirm so far:

-Is there more than one ski school in a resort?
-How big are resorts compared to europe? I've heard a lot smaller is this true?
-What other resorts are good? (If i dont get a job in Niseko I will be looking elsewhere!!) Are there any resorts to avoid?
-What is the structure in resort? Is it more like Europe or like North America or different to both?
-Which airport is closest/ best? I'm not bothered about a direct flight as I will just be going the cheapest way I think.
-Is there any point getting a car to get around in with that much snow falling?
-Any recommendations for insurance for the season or would I be covered through an employer?

Those are just specific questions I have but any information on jobs/ working life/ things you may not expect/ hidden costs or issues or anything information you have at all I would really appreciate it.

Also if anyone has any friends out there who are hiring, and what to help out a fellow snowhead, I would definitely appreciate that too! Might be best to send a PM as I'm not sure about the rules for advertising jobs and such.

Paddy

Skiier and snow lover Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some that I can answer (in Japan I skied Niseko, Moiwa, Kiroro, Asahidake, Furano, Kamui Ski Links and Teine Highland):

- You can't generalise on size. All the Japanese resorts listed above are smaller than your typical Euro big name touristy ski resort, but also bigger than the many small low key resorts int he Alps.

- I don't really know what you mean about structure, but it all depends. Niseko has lifts out of the main village (Hirafu - busy place like a resort village anywhere else in the world) and the smaller area of Annupuri. Other accommodation areas that are counted as part of the resort (like Higashiyama - probably spelled that wrong - where Black Diamond Lodge is) require a walk or bus to get to the lifts. Furano is on the side of a reasonably large town; Kiroro has no town or village at all. Teine is just outside Sapporo (a major city).

- For Hokkaido you want to land in Sapporo.

- Yeah, having a car will massively increase your options. During my stay at BD Lodge, when it was bone dry in Niseko we drove (lodge ran a minibus) for around an hour to Kiroro (other side of Mt Yotei) where it was balls deep powder. Some Austrian guys staying there had hired a car and were able to reach some epic touring zones - having seen their videos I'd definitely do that next time. Roads are slow (speed limits are v low!!), but we never had a problem getting anywhere, including a week long constantly moving road trip.

Other tip. Niseko will give you the best 'season experience,' but the secret is well and truly out - you really have to compete to get fresh tracks there. The other smaller/less well known/less touristy resorts are the ones that best deliver the real JAPOW experience.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's a fantastic place to go.
There is LOADS of stuff here, and many other places on the web.

I really do question your suitability though if you are seriously asking all these questions....almost all of which you surely should have researched before concluding that Japan would be good.

Show a bit of initiative...

After that...ask specific questions (eg which, of many, ski schools are good/bad to work for, or how to find somewhere to live).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pcurran871, when we were in Shiga Kogen there where lots of international ski instructors, Swiss, Australian, Argentinian to name a few, look at the snow japan site, and Shiga Kogen is a big area
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rungsp, I have done loads of research and I mean absolutely loads please don't get me wrong. I just want more information as I don't want to make an uninformed decision and go out expecting something completely different. I'm trying to make sure I don't miss anything and personal experience and reviews trumps anything a resort or travel company puts on their website and snowheads is very helpful for gaining information.

What is the best way to get to Niseko from Sapporo? Can it be done using public transport and how difficult would it be given I don't speak any Japanese? Also does anyone know anything about car insurance? How does it work, do they have mot, tax, etc.?

Thanks rungsp, for highlighting a couple more questions I hadn't thought of:
How do you go about finding a place to live when you get there? Is it all privately let accomodation and where is cheaper to stay and where is good to stay?
Any ski schools you recommend working for? Or where is best to avoid working? i probably wont be too fussy as a job is a job and I will take what I can get but this way I know where to apply first.

Thanks for the help
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
clarky999, Thanks for the information is very helpful and radar, I will look into Shiga Kogen too. Are there are lot of english speakers who go there on holiday?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pcurran871, lots of ways to get from Sapporo to Niseko. There are coach transfers, you can get the train (have to go into the city first though)... It's an easy journey even without speaking Japanese (they have to cater for all the Australian tourists) and doesn't take all that long either. Simply find the transfer companies office in the airport, give them your name, walk in a funny single file line with all the face-masked Japanese behind a leader wearing high-vis clothing and holding a big sign up, and get on your coach. Tbh that's the sort of thing you should easily be able to find on google...

I know nothing about the ski schools, but the guys who worked for whichever school it was who were partnered with Annupuri Lodge looked to be having a good time. If you get a job, they will help you find (may even provide) accommodation and give you details of the airport transfers.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The best way to get from Sapporo to Niseko is via a Resortliner, you can get a train too but that only gets you as far as Kutchan and you would have to get a taxi/bus into Niskeo.

The resortliner timetable and booking can be found here: http://www.tokyotravelpal.com/busliners-ski-resort.htm

There are 4 different resorts in Niseko but the main one is probably Grand Hirafu. There are loads of ski schools out there but I worked for Niseko Base Snowsports (NBS) last year and they were one of the bigger ones and really good to work for. I think they are recruiting right now http://www.nisekobase.com/employment/. Grand Hirafu also have their own ski school which seemed pretty big.

I felt like Niskeo is a pretty good base and you can go to smaller, quieter resorts on your days off. Moiwa and Rusitisu are both pretty close and awesome resorts with decent public transport links.

I think most employers will only cover you when you're working so you'll probably need your own insurance.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was with Niseko Village Snow School last season and had an amazing time.

Accommodation is provided and, because you work out of the Hilton, you have access to their (free) buses and shuttles to get to/from Kutchan or Niseko town itself. Getting to Sapporo is then very simple and well worth doing.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pcurran871, you should really try posting on http://www.snowjapan.com, the guys on there will give you loads of help, there are lots of places with great skiing beyond Niseko, as well as Shiga Kogen look at Hakuba
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks for all the help everyone. More advice/ experiences definitely welcome!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Niseko Resort Area has 4 base 'villages' - Annupuri, Niseko Village, Hirafu, Hanazono.

All have their own ski schools, plus there are a number of accredited independent ski schools which are allowed to operate on the mountain.

Here's a list of the ski schools where Japanese language skills are not needed. Some but not all provide housing (at a cost).

http://www.niseko-village.com/en/winter/school.html
http://www.hanazononiseko.com/en/winter/niss/index.html

http://www.nisekobase.com/
http://pro-powder.com/
http://www.nisekoskischool.net/
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks very much Mike Pow, I have sent off some applications after looking at each school and hopefully I will hear back soon!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My pleasure. Hope it works out for you.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks I managed to get a job with one of the instructor schools in Niseko snowHead
ski holidays
Excellent. Congratulations.

Go buy a face mask Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy